Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

I honestly couldn't understand at the time why we were willing to spend £50m on AWB when we'd already spent £20m on a young Dalot. Dalot needed developing and he had the traits/attributes that were in-sync with what is required for a fullback in the game today. Wan Bissaka never had those attributes to begin with and we're fortunate that Milan didn't end up paying the 12 to 15m that would've made Dalot's move to Milan permanent.

Sometimes the answer lays right Infront of our eyes and not via the transfer window. The amount of stick Dalot got was ridiculous, and I'm glad to see that he's now starting to fulfil the promise he first showed at youth level where he was regarded as one of the best young fullbacks/wingbacks in European football.
Mate....that sounds like it could have been posted by Jose :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is he in the Portuguese WC squad?
He's been Cancelos backup for ages, but I'm thinking there's a chance they start him at RB with Cancelo LB as he plays a lot anyway. Guerreiro and Mendes as LB competition though, so it's hard to say. Portugal really should be among the elite favourites if they had a half decent manager.

Scottynaldinho

Rumours that Barca and Real both are after our man. I hope his contract situation gets sorted out soon.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jose Mourinho is looking far closer to being right in his assessment than many of our fans. Who would have thought?
Is Mourinho controlling Luke Shaw’s mind remotely from Rome as well then? Or all the other insanely stupid shite he spouted during his time here

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He wins back post headers heas no business winning. There was a moment he was rooted to the ground and still beat Antonio to a header.

Giggsyking

Jose Mourinho is looking far closer to being right in his assessment than many of our fans. Who would have thought?
Yeah, he was spot on in his transfers, look at Pogba, Lukaku, Lindelöf, Mikhi and Sanchez all turned out world class signings.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Bit of a revelation this year

Strelok

They have the exact same massive problem upfront we do, though.
Worse than us I reckon. ETH has the balls to drop that massive problem their coach simply doesn't. Plus most United fans would support that decision while he's like a living God over there.

Foxbatt

He has a very good long range shot too. He needs to get them on target.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
While many of us wanted him to make overlaping runs, do recent peformances justify the current tactic as he seems to be better coming in field and making driving runs towards goal than going outside and crossing?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mate....that sounds like it could have been posted by Jose :lol:
I've been saying the same for sometime and having already invested 20m on a developmental talent in Dalot it was silly to then sign a fullback who is deficient on the ball. The summer window of 2019 was a very poor window.

Mourinho didn't do anything special in this regard and he went along with the decision to sign him after his scouts in Portugal had got wind of Dalot wanting to leave Porto. And Dalot was considered one of the bigger youth talents in Portugal, so it was quite an obvious signing with many clubs interested in sign him.

And if someone deserves credit for Dalot's upturn in performances, then that would be Erik ten Hag. So my previous post probably sounds more like what ten Hag possibly said after discovering we'd spent £50m on AWB when we already had a young Dalot who was technically a superior player and had an actual reputation in the youth ranks of being very good.

justsomebloke

I've been saying the same for sometime and having already invested 20m on a developmental talent in Dalot it was silly to then sign a fullback who is deficient on the ball. The summer window of 2019 was a very poor window.

Mourinho didn't do anything special in this regard and he went along with the decision to sign him after his scouts in Portugal had got wind of Dalot wanting to leave Porto. And Dalot was considered one of the bigger youth talents in Portugal, so it was quite an obvious signing with many clubs interested in sign him.

And if someone deserves credit for Dalot's upturn in performances, then that would be Erik ten Hag. So my previous post probably sounds more like what ten Hag possibly said after discovering we'd spent £50m on AWB when we already had a young Dalot who was technically a superior player and had an actual reputation in the youth ranks of being very good.
I don't think that's a very good point. Dalot has begun to come into his own this season, and is now a credible option as a long-term solution on RB, he's been that good. But as late as May this year, he really wasn't. So how does that mean we didn't need a new first choice RB in 2019? We plainly and obviously did, and the fact Dalot factors in as the likely answer three years later has no bearing on that.

Natener

I doubt Mourinho believed that greatly in Dalot. But certainly our fans can do with not writing off players early in their career, he's still only 23 and only just maturing as a player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think that's a very good point. Dalot has begun to come into his own this season, and is now a credible option as a long-term solution on RB, he's been that good. But as late as May this year, he really wasn't. So how does that mean we didn't need a new first choice RB in 2019? We plainly and obviously did, and the fact Dalot factors in as the likely answer three years later has no bearing on that.
Dalot has started to come into his own under a coach with a clear and defined way of playing the game, both in the offensive and defensive transition, which should be noted.

It's absolutely fine to want to sign another RB with a change of manager. But you don't sign a technically deficient player after going on record and stating that the aim was to play with a high line 'like Jurgen' at Liverpool which Solskjaer quite clearly stated in his press conference. That right there is a contradiction because wanting to play high with a high line equates to wanting to play the game in the opponent's half and in-turn your players need to be technically secure in possession against the opponent's coordinated pressing game and also be able to progress the ball at the requisite level.

TheReligion

Abusive
There’s rumours Mendes has been trying to engineer a deal to Barca behind the scenes.

Dalot has a contract until summer but the club have a 12 month extension option (who thought Ed would have done some good here!)

Dalot was asked by Sky about his future and said;

"I mean, I just think this is not worth thinking about too much at this time. We are in the process of where we think we have to improve our game as a team and focus on the club.

"Individuals will have to come [secondary] at this time and there is also a World Cup coming. I don't think that it is the time to think about this [new contract].

"I'm just happy that I'm helping this club. I love to play for this club, and I think that I show that every single time I step onto Old Trafford and every time I wear this badge. This is the most important for me [right now]."

TheReligion

Abusive
Personally I don’t see him looking to move on. He’s playing well and developing under a coach that has shown faith in him. He looks to enjoy being part of the set up with De Gea, Shaw, Martinez and Varane. They look like they have a great relationship together.

justsomebloke

Dalot has started to come into his own under a coach with a clear and defined way of playing the game, both in the offensive and defensive transition, which should be noted.

It's absolutely fine to want to sign another RB with a change of manager. But you don't sign a technically deficient player after going on record and stating that the aim was to play with a high line 'like Jurgen' at Liverpool which Solskjaer quite clearly stated in his press conference. That right there is a contradiction because wanting to play high with a high line equates to wanting to play the game in the opponent's half and in-turn your players need to be technically secure in possession against the opponent's coordinated pressing game and also be able to progress the ball at the requisite level.
So that's got nothing to do with Dalot then - we just signed the wrong RB in 2019. No disagreement there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So that's got nothing to do with Dalot then - we just signed the wrong RB in 2019. No disagreement there.
It's got nothing to do with Dalot because he's not the one who decided to sign Wan Bissaka. If anyone is at fault here, its those who naively decided to sign a player who was technically deficient, when you already have a player who is technically superior and but requires development due to his age.

justsomebloke

It's got nothing to do with Dalot because he's not the one who decided to sign Wan Bissaka. If anyone is at fault here, its those who naively decided to sign a player who was technically deficient, when you already have a player who is technically superior and but requires development due to his age.
Well, there's the problem with your argument. We needed a starting RB in 2019. And Dalot was irrelevant to that, because he simply was nowhere close to that level at that time. It makes no difference if we "already have a player who is technically superior and but requires development due to his age". Whether we had Dalot or not, we would have had to do the exact same thing: Sign a starting RB. It should just have been a better RB than AWB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well, there's the problem with your argument. We needed a starting RB in 2019. And Dalot was irrelevant to that, because he simply was nowhere close to that level at that time. It makes no difference if we "already have a player who is technically superior and but requires development due to his age". Whether we had Dalot or not, we would have had to do the exact same thing: Sign a starting RB. It should just have been a better RB than AWB.
The point is simple, and 'we needing a starting RB in 2019' was still the case in 2020 and 2021 imo. Because the fullback Solskjaer had signed for £50m wasn't good enough, hence he was looking to sign Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid and sell Dalot to Milan, which would've been another mistake. Backing the manager had already cost us dearly and it was going to get worse under Sokskjaer because he still couldn't see the potential in Dalot and wanted to replace Wan Bissaka with the then 30 year old Kieran Trippier.

The argument here is simple, and that is that Solksjaer throughout his tenure couldn't see the potential in Dalot. And when he finally realised AWB wasn't good enough, he tried to bring Trippier to the club who is currently 32 years old.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

The point is simple, and 'we needing a starting RB in 2019' was still the case in 2020 and 2021 imo. Because the fullback Solskjaer had signed for £50m wasn't good enough, hence he was looking to sign Kieran Tripper from Atletico Madrid and sell Dalot to Milan, which would've been another mistake. Backing the manager had already cost us dearly and it was going to get worse under Sokskjaer because he still couldn't see the potential in Dalot and wanted to replace Wan Bissaka with the then 30 year old Kieran Trippier.

The argument here is simple, and that is that Solksjaer throughout his tenure couldn't see the potential in Dalot. And when he finally realised AWB wasn't good enough, he tried to bring Trippier to the club who is currently 32 years old.
What, you think Dalot was good enough to be the answer in any of those seasons? OGS was quite right that he wasn't, in my opinion.Potential yes, ready no.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What, you think Dalot was good enough to be the answer in any of those seasons? OGS was quite right that he wasn't, in my opinion.Potential yes, ready no.
Dalot might not have been the answer immediately but AWB sure wasn't the answer and I said so at the time. And it's no surprise that as soon as we brought in a manager with a progressive mindset and a history of implementing a proactive attacking playstyle , then the choice between AWB and Dalot was a simple one.

Abraxas

Dalot wasn't "the answer" when Ralf Rangnick started playing him, nor was he considered to be the answer by many people this season until ETH got hold of him. Some aren't convinced he's the answer now, but that's besides the point I suppose.

I think the point being made is he could have been developed earlier if the club/managers had more foresight. Yes he had an okay year at Milan but it's not like he has had some grand plan laid out that he's benefited immensely from, it has been fairly random, relying on an interim manager to make a call.

Maybe he's developed physically, that would be normal. But it looks more like the thing he needed was consistent football and we made some terrible calls with AWB, the opportunity cost involved being delaying Dalot's development. We may not have needed a RB if we got our assessments right.

criticalanalysis

He has a very good long range shot too. He needs to get them on target.
For someone, who has good all round technique in other areas, his tendency to get under a shot and sky it over the bar for long shots (in good areas) is quite hilarious actually. If he manages to improve this and scores one or two long rangers a season, that would be massive.

I commented about this recently in one of the match day threads and someone did remind us of his shot, which caused the penalty against PSG...and then subsequently the Ole era :(. It's all Dalot's fault.

Revaulx

Another perfect example of United fans slagging off some kid prematurely.
What’s worse is when they refuse to change their tune even after the kid has shown his worth. There will be a hard core who can’t wait for him to have a bad game so they can tell us all how they “always knew he was crap”.

L1nk

It's not just his much much much improved game that i'm loving, but the passion and attitude as well, loving what he's got going on with Martinez. It really gets you pumped up.

romufc

It's not just his much much much improved game that i'm loving, but the passion and attitude as well, loving what he's got going on with Martinez. It really gets you pumped up.
Its something we have lacked for a while for sure. Now watching them play, it seems they have a sense of pride and passion.

I remember AWB looked like he did not care one bit when we conceded or anything.

We are celebrating blocks, clean sheets and good defending now.

Foxbatt

For someone, who has good all round technique in other areas, his tendency to get under a shot and sky it over the bar for long shots (in good areas) is quite hilarious actually. If he manages to improve this and scores one or two long rangers a season, that would be massive.

I commented about this recently in one of the match day threads and someone did remind us of his shot, which caused the penalty against PSG...and then subsequently the Ole era :(. It's all Dalot's fault.
I think he has the post a couple of times too. Or just missing the target.

Aston Villa 3:1 Man Utd

MagooDad

I would say he's mainly responsible for both the 1st and 3rd goals.

On the first goal he steps up even if he knows that Lindelöf is out of position. If he would have stayed back the first goal would never happened.

On the third he doesn't track back even if we were 4-vs-4. Had he tracked back he would have stopped the 3rd goal.

MrEleson

Has he ever played a quality ball into the box? I don’t understand why he’s rated. For me he offers absolutely nothing.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Suspended for our next league game now. He needs the rest and we need a right-back in January to challenge him.

jesperjaap

Has he ever played a quality ball into the box? I don’t understand why he’s rated. For me he offers absolutely nothing.

Agree with this. Always baffled me the slating of Bissaka goign forward delivery wise into the box when Dalot is no better, in fact worse and far worse defensively. Decent running with the ball..

I have never liked or rated him and still dont trust him here. But cant deny though a tad overhyped, until today he has done quite well his season though

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good last game, normal Dalot this. His final ball is appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.