Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Over the last few years Hakimi has been the best RB in the world for me.

Who are the top Right backs in your opinion?
I just don't think there's currently any fullback that's clearly world class above many others. TAA isn't one because he's not great at defending but there are few if any better going forward. Alphonso Davies has that Kyle Walker thing where he's not really that good at defending but he has that speed to make up for it. Walker got to grow into his role quite a bit but put him in United and he'd be worse than Dalot. Dalot is like Shaw, he lost 2 years of football because of injury and for the third he had to get back into it. The biggest reason why I rate him is his mentality. He's not afraid to try and play football like most of our players, be it with dribbling, passing or shooting. When he got benched or was loaned out to Milan he put didn't put his head down but rather did an interview saying he just had to work hard to get into the team and up to acceptable standards. No Sancho mentality bullshit. His parents moved with him to England and supported him along the way which is key for young players trying to make it outside their homeland so you know he's got good support off the pitch. Him not being good enough on the pitch I don't buy into. He was good last season when we didn't have a constant rotating defense, a more settled midfield and a keeper that didn't give goals away for fun.

Our team has been so dysfunctional this season that you have to look at who the individuals are who haven't been able to follow instructions and play with the rest of the team. That's been hard to do because of the ridiculous amount of rotation. We all knew going into the season that it's not a squad that handles rotation of many players all to well. We're not Liverpool who can play our 4-6th best attacker and be fine. We don't even have that many attackers. We didn't manage to sell McTominay and buy another midfielder and as it turned out our main midfielders have been injured and McTominay has been a regular starter. That's not good enough coupled with our poor attackers. A full back can't anything effective going forward when the attackers in front of him are neutered. If there's any improvement EtH has made on our squad of players it's the full backs.

Dalot has been absolutely fine. I've got no problem with our defenders this season. They've had to carry our team despite having the most injuries whilst the midfield, attack and goalkeepers have stunk up the place. Defense is such a low priority for our squad, a full back the least of our worries.

stevoc

I just don't think there's currently any fullback that's clearly world class above many others. TAA isn't one because he's not great at defending but there are few if any better going forward. Alphonso Davies has that Kyle Walker thing where he's not really that good at defending but he has that speed to make up for it. Walker got to grow into his role quite a bit but put him in United and he'd be worse than Dalot. Dalot is like Shaw, he lost 2 years of football because of injury and for the third he had to get back into it. The biggest reason why I rate him is his mentality. He's not afraid to try and play football like most of our players, be it with dribbling, passing or shooting. When he got benched or was loaned out to Milan he put didn't put his head down but rather did an interview saying he just had to work hard to get into the team and up to acceptable standards. No Sancho mentality bullshit. His parents moved with him to England and supported him along the way which is key for young players trying to make it outside their homeland so you know he's got good support off the pitch. Him not being good enough on the pitch I don't buy into. He was good last season when we didn't have a constant rotating defense, a more settled midfield and a keeper that didn't give goals away for fun.

Our team has been so dysfunctional this season that you have to look at who the individuals are who haven't been able to follow instructions and play with the rest of the team. That's been hard to do because of the ridiculous amount of rotation. We all knew going into the season that it's not a squad that handles rotation of many players all to well. We're not Liverpool who can play our 4-6th best attacker and be fine. We don't even have that many attackers. We didn't manage to sell McTominay and buy another midfielder and as it turned out our main midfielders have been injured and McTominay has been a regular starter. That's not good enough coupled with our poor attackers. A full back can't anything effective going forward when the attackers in front of him are neutered. If there's any improvement EtH has made on our squad of players it's the full backs.

Dalot has been absolutely fine. I've got no problem with our defenders this season. They've had to carry our team despite having the most injuries whilst the midfield, attack and goalkeepers have stunk up the place. Defense is such a low priority for our squad, a full back the least of our worries.

For me's been very inconsistent for over a year at this stage. Ranging from good/ok to awful.

This season like many of our players he's been largely awful. He's been better recently which us why we're seeing a lot of recency bias in here recently.

Physically and technically he has everything to be a top fullback. But outside of the first few months under Ten Hag I've yet to see him put together any sort of consistent run of good form in going on 6 years here.

Snow

For me's been very inconsistent for over a year at this stage. Ranging from good/ok to awful.

This season like many of our players he's been largely awful. He's been better recently which us why we're seeing a lot of recency bias in here recently.

Physically and technically he has everything to be a top fullback. But outside of the first few months under Ten Hag I've yet to see him put together any sort of consistent run of good form in going on 6 years here.
I'd say he got a good consistent run of form last season. He joined us at 18 though and around he was out for a long time so 6 years is not the amount he's been with the squad. We were fortunate enough to get a good loan for him to get him going after his injury and the fact that Milan even wanted to take a chance on him then is telling of how highly he was rated as a young fullback.

He's no doubt had some stinkers but he's not the kind of player where we have 7-9 players performing well and he performs badly.

There have been some overrated players and easily forgiven performances but I don't think he belongs in that group. Shaw was getting the same kind of stick during the Mourinho years.

caid

I'd say our defence has had its fair share of issues too. Primarily due to how often the line up changes and a lack of consistency but thats not a dalot problem

lex talionis

Very poor today. He’s a hard worker but his lapses of concentration are too much to bear.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The difference in quality between him and Porro is ridiculous.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Very poor today. He’s a hard worker but his lapses of concentration are too much to bear.
Thought he played well today.

Diogo Dalot's game by numbers vs. Spurs: ◉ 100% duels won (9/9) ◉ 100% tackle success (6/6) ◉ Most possession won (8) ◉ Most tackles made (6) ◎ 5 crosses ◎ 5 clearances ◎ 2 take-ons completed ◎ 0 x dribbled past ◎ 0 fouls A complete full-back.

Sofascore also rated him at 8.1, second only to Hojland

Last edited:

Quinze

Diogo Dalot's game by numbers vs. Spurs: ◉ 100% duels won (9/9) ◉ 100% tackle success (6/6) ◉ Most possession won (8) ◉ Most tackles made (6) ◎ 5 crosses ◎ 5 clearances ◎ 2 take-ons completed ◎ 0 x dribbled past ◎ 0 fouls A complete full-back.
He was one of our better players today again. Feels like bizzaro world that he's slated here while AWB is getting called MOTM in his thread.

Vernon Philander

I do wonder what game people watch, slagging Dalot off and leaving most of our other players untouched. Very strange.

lex talionis

Someone flogged me last week that with the absurd claim that the stats never lie, that everything you need to know about how a football match is revealed by the stats. I don't believe that. Stats can provide useful insights, but stats are limited in what they can tell us.

Immediately above you've presented me stats that invite the conclusion that he played well, if not brilliantly. Yet what the stats don't tell us that Dalot left his post on the first Spurs goal, the ball gratefully traveling through the vertical plane that Dalot was supposed to protect. If Dalot stands his ground and does his job on the play, there is no Spurs goal and with no Spurs goal on that play we win the match.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There was one bit of play with a deep cross to the back post, I was sure he was going to misjudge the cross and get caught under it as per usual. He then lept majestically to make a fantastic headed clearance, to my surprise.

He's improved massively in consistency and has to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

mu4c_20le

He was defending Timo Werner

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He did well today, was 1on1 multiple times and I don't think he did anything wrong. I think it was pretty difficult game for our fullbacks as they were exposed quite often.
I don't understand why he is so criticized so often on here. He's on the bottom of our "problems list".

lex talionis

He did well today, was 1on1 multiple times and I don't think he did anything wrong. I think it was pretty difficult game for our fullbacks as they were exposed quite often.
I don't understand why he is so criticized so often on here. He's on the bottom of our "problems list".
Would you say that Dalot did the right thing when he left his post on the first Spurs goal? I'd like everyone to focus on Dalot on the first Spurs goal...where he started out, where he went and where the ball went into the goal. The question has to be has WTF was he doing?

Apart from that, Dalot may have been fantastic, but you can't just ignore what a defender was doing when one of the two goals was scored against his club during the match.

Vernon Philander

Would you say that Dalot did the right thing when he left his post on the first Spurs goal? I'd like everyone to focus on Dalot on the first Spurs goal...where he started out, where he went and where the ball went into the goal. The question has to be has WTF was he doing?

Apart from that, Dalot may have been fantastic, but you can't just ignore what a defender was doing when one of the two goals was scored against his club during the match.
Before the ball is delivered on the corner he is marking the Spurs player, so he’s not going to be on the goal line.

as the ball is delivered the flight of the ball is such that he knows it’s not going to reach the man he’s marking, but rather someone in front, so then edges back to the line to cover the goal.

once it’s headed by Richy, the goal target is so big that its pot luck whether Dalot is in the right spot on the line to block the goal bound header. There is negligible time to react once it’s been headed.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Seems to me he moved to the goal line, what was probably the right thing to do. He wasn't the one challenging for the header so not sure what's the issue with what he's done for the first goal?

Snow

Someone flogged me last week that with the absurd claim that the stats never lie, that everything you need to know about how a football match is revealed by the stats. I don't believe that. Stats can provide useful insights, but stats are limited in what they can tell us.

Immediately above you've presented me stats that invite the conclusion that he played well, if not brilliantly. Yet what the stats don't tell us that Dalot left his post on the first Spurs goal, the ball gratefully traveling through the vertical plane that Dalot was supposed to protect. If Dalot stands his ground and does his job on the play, there is no Spurs goal and with no Spurs goal on that play we win the match.
Claiming stats don't tell the story and then you go on and predict the future in an alternate reality claiming it as fact.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

I too thought he did well today, and I’m not his biggest fan, but he looked much more comfortable on the right.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he'd be looked at incredibly differently if the team around him was competent. He could play in other big clubs, and he'd do well and be looked at like a very good right back I think. Just like he does for the national team. Hopefully we sort ourselves out eventually, but I don't see him being replaced any time soon.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He was not at the post when the corner was taken, and you ignored his goal saving header as well.

SNes

I thought every time he had the ball he gave it away. He need replaced along with many others

united for life

He did well in the first half I thought, cleared a ball off the line which was important. Nothing special in the second half.

The problem is that he is not consistent. The bigger problem is that I really do not know if his inconsistency is a result of the overall shite football we play as a football club or because of his limitations as a footballer. That’s a problem I have when assessing our players. Porro and Udogie were fantastic yesterday, would they perform at the same level playing for this toxic united team? I don’t know

Mcking

There was one bit of play with a deep cross to the back post, I was sure he was going to misjudge the cross and get caught under it as per usual. He then lept majestically to make a fantastic headed clearance, to my surprise.

He's improved massively in consistency and has to be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Would love to see or recall those occasions where Dalot got caught under the ball at the back post. There aren't many defenders that defend the back post better than he does.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would love to see or recall those occasions where Dalot got caught under the ball at the back post. There aren't many defenders that defend the back post better than he does.
Are you sure about that? Off the top of my head the final two goals at Copenhagen came from him not defending the back post properly. First one he got caught under it for sure, next one he just let his man go.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We are out of the UCL partly due to his poor defending at the back post vs Copenhagen and Galatasaray

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That's a strange thing to say about Dalot. His aerial ability is one of his biggest strengths and you won't find many fullbacks better.

What you describe is what AWB is terrible for, not Dalot. AWB has improved a bit this season though to be fair to him, albeit still comfortably the worst of our main three fullbacks.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We are out of the UCL partly due to his poor defending at the back post vs Copenhagen and Galatasaray
Personally I think he's a really good fullback, the problem is our defenders have a lot of defending to do week in - week out. The volume is large because they are exposed due to lack of protection from midfield and wings.

No defender is winning 100% of headers. I still think Dalot is quite good in aerial duels.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Personally I think he's a really good fullback, the problem is our defenders have a lot of defending to do week in - week out. The volume is large because they are exposed due to lack of protection from midfield and wings.

No defender is winning 100% of headers. I still think Dalot is quite good in aerial duels.
It was not a lack of protection in those games it was his poor play.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That's a strange thing to say about Dalot. His aerial ability is one of his biggest strengths and you won't find many fullbacks better.

What you describe is what AWB is terrible for, not Dalot. AWB has improved a bit this season though to be fair to him, albeit still comfortably the worst of our main three fullbacks.
I think they're both guilty of it to be honest, AWB is far more prone to ball watching and looking far more dopey, where as Dalot does seem more aware, but doesn't get himself in the right position. I think he's improved massively this season in that regard. If he is challenging someone in the air, I agree he usually wins his duels.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As others have said, he wasn't on on the back post. Watch the highlights of all three of Spurs dangerous corners and you'll see the same thing. In each one he is covering Werner (who is coming in at the back post), and then when the ball obviously isn't going to make it to him he then drops back onto the line to cover more space that the keeper can't reach. He arguably stops a goal on the first one (hard to make out if it was going in or just wide), and the second one is an absolute carbon copy from the other side of the field but is unfortunately just out of his reach.

Are you sure about that? Off the top of my head the final two goals at Copenhagen came from him not defending the back post properly. First one he got caught under it for sure, next one he just let his man go.
Neither one was him getting caught under it. The first was at knee height or lower by the time it got to him, he was just a fraction slow to get back which allowed the player behind him to get in front. Certainly still his fault to some extent, just not the way you describe it. For the second he was moving into position for the flight of the ball, which was probably the right move on two of the three possibilities in that situation. If the players in front of him hadn't reached the ball Dalot was in the right position to clear, if they had got a touch and directed it towards the back post he might have been able to clear it, but unfortunately it was the third option where the ball got deflected to his man who was now in space. No matter what choice he made, a bad result might have come out of it so I struggle to blame him for that one.