Diogo Dalot - next move?

Ekeke

He's better attacking than Williams in my opinion. Thats why he was backup choice for Portugal. He made some good runs forward including an impressive chest control and then flashed a shot wide. If he would have got that on target it would have been excellent play. And he can put in a decent cross.

He's obviously not as good as AWB, which is fine. We paid half as much for him

The White Pele

If the prices quoted for Trippier are true then I don’t see much harm in giving Dalot the chance to be AWB’s rotation option.

Ole will be delighted he has got some minutes and did ok.

He's better attacking than Williams in my opinion. Thats why he was backup choice for Portugal. He made some good runs forward including an impressive chest control and then flashed a shot wide. If he would have got that on target it would have been excellent play. And he can put in a decent cross.

He's obviously not as good as AWB, which is fine. We paid half as much for him

in a way, Dalit as a backup is no bad thing. However, he’s not going to get many games as he’s not good enough to be pushing AWB hard. So he will get a game here and there. That’s not going to help him develop, and we just have an expensive young player playing a handful of games. It’s a waste all round.

Ekeke

in a way, Dalit as a backup is no bad thing. However, he’s not going to get many games as he’s not good enough to be pushing AWB hard. So he will get a game here and there. That’s not going to help him develop, and we just have an expensive young player playing a handful of games. It’s a waste all round.
I dont really see how its expensive if your backup cost half as much as your first choice. You'd expect your first choice to be miles better and your backup to be half as good in that case. He's young, we can rest AWB or in a game where we need to get a goal we could get him on to give more to attack. He can also play both sides or most likely he will be at his best if we play 3 CBs and use wingbacks for width

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I dont really see how its expensive if your backup cost half as much as your first choice. You'd expect your first choice to be miles better and your backup to be half as good in that case. He's young, we can rest AWB or in a game where we need to get a goal we could get him on to give more to attack. He can also play both sides or most likely he will be at his best if we play 3 CBs and use wingbacks for width
That's my line of thinking as well. AWB is one of the best tacklers in the world but his attacking play leaves a lot to be desired. Dalot isn't as good defensively but is better at attacking than AWB. Depending on the game if we need to switch it up AWB as RCB and Dalot as wingback wouldn't be the worst solution in the world and Dalot is good enough to cover for AWB against weaker opposition meaning AWB won't be run into the ground.

I wouldn't have a problem bringing Dalot back Into the fold.

largelyworried

I saw 2 or 3 times in the league and in the Europa games, plus last nights performance. Saw nothing that makes me want him back. He's an ok FB, that's about it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I saw 2 or 3 times in the league and in the Europa games, plus last nights performance. Saw nothing that makes me want him back. He's an ok FB, that's about it.
I got the opposite impression really, if we go three at the back, I’d rather have him as a wing back than wan bissaka. Portugal were so disjointed that I wouldn’t take yesterday’s performance as indication of anything.

He developed a bit of tenacity in defending at Milan that he never had during his spell at United and moreover he seems to have overcome some of the back issues he was suffering from before going on loan so he is more robust in tackles and tracking back.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If Milan are going to back off their purchasing of Dalot due to buying Tomori from Chelsea along with a few other players because you know they are skint for money, Dalot and Trippier swapping clubs on loan would be a win/win for both sides.
so Athletico get a currently worse player - but one who if they spend the time developing and coaching United can cash in on... Im not quite sure I see that as win win... cracking business for united though

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If he's not good enough to challenge AWB, we should get rid of him.

AWB is barely good enough to start for us, we should be looking to upgrade on him and not be concerned about a backup who's even lousier than him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I still don't rate him particularly highly and if a offer in the region of 10 million comes in I think United should consider it but in the likely event a offer doesn't materialize I'm still willing to give him a second chance.

MadMike

If he's not good enough to challenge AWB, we should get rid of him.
Ole preferred to play Williams (who is 2 years younger), despite his obvious shortcomings, than Dalot. That tells you how little he rates Dalot.

He might become a decent player someday, for some club. But I don't see that happening here. He failed to convince the manager after 18 months.

meamth

I'm not sure that comparison holds much water because Shaw had some credit in the bank. In fact he was one of the most highly rated young full backs around playing regularly in the PL for Southampton and had plenty of good performances for us. We had to work on his mindset and it took a while but the tools were quite apparent.

With Diogo I'm not quite sure he's put together many impressive outings and it's harder to understand what his qualities are except the odd cross. In fact when Jose claimed he was one of the best young fullbacks in Europe it's easier to wonder what he was smoking on that particular occasion than to agree with him based on what he's shown. That was either tremendous hyperbole or a severe misjudgment, or maybe there's a chance he's a slow developer.
Not in terms of reputation, qualities, or anything.

This is about the fans here wanting to get rid.

Shaw pre-Solskjaer days? Everyone here wanted to sell him.

largelyworried

I got the opposite impression really, if we go three at the back, I’d rather have him as a wing back than wan bissaka. Portugal were so disjointed that I wouldn’t take yesterday’s performance as indication of anything.

He developed a bit of tenacity in defending at Milan that he never had during his spell at United and moreover he seems to have overcome some of the back issues he was suffering from before going on loan so he is more robust in tackles and tracking back.
AWB is far from a perfect player, but he's a settled and generally reliable member of the squad. At this point, I don't see the point in messing around with his position unless the person coming in was a clear cut above AWB in quality and was a plausible permanent replacement. Dalot certainly ain't that. Dalot may be more attacking than AWB but is overall a worse player. At best he gives us a half-decent option in the 8 or 9 games a year we play with wingbacks. The other 50+ games a season he's a worse backup on the bench. We'd be better off either blooding a youngster or getting someone with some experience under their belt.

Those two situations are so different its absurd to compare them. The only connection is that they're full backs. Just because Shaw has turned it round doesnt mean every underperforming footballer will do.

RUCK4444

Wow now. Not I boy bach.

I thought that was mental. That said I have zero idea why anybody would want to keep Dalot though, he’s awful.

He’s awful going forward and defending, so he’s consistently awful both ways. Unlike most fullbacks who tend to be stronger at one or the other.

Terrible buy from Jose.

Ekeke

Wow now. Not I boy bach.

I thought that was mental. That said I have zero idea why anybody would want to keep Dalot though, he’s awful.

He’s awful going forward and defending, so he’s consistently awful both ways. Unlike most fullbacks who tend to be stronger at one or the other.

Terrible buy from Jose.

He actually matches up quite well against his peers, especially backup ones. Better defending stats than Shaw and a goal and an assist going forward isnt bad for only 10 starts and 11 subs

Shimo

Hope we don't fall into the trap that he suddenly might be worth keeping even as a backup. Right now his stock will be as high as it's going to be to move him on.

Not meant as disrespect but, he doesn't provide any more than Williams and am sure there are players in the academy that could do a job. Heck, if we do get Varane, Lindelof can even be a backup RB, IIRC, he has played there.

Matthew84!

Well we should definitely sell him, if we keep him and he doesn't play his value will go down, if Milan want him let him go but I've seen Madrid might be interested in him, anything to get the value of Varane down,

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Should be sold with a buyback clause. Young players need to play to gain experience, no way around it.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s a perfectly fine and serviceable young backup and he could easily still improve a level or two. He’s done his time on loan and done quite well. Its time to use him or move him on but nobody here knows his ceiling so people should stop acting like they do.

It was the same craic on here with Shaw even though all along he very clearly had top level talent but was struggling to put it all together after a career threatening injury. People were still calling for him to sold the season before last and making threads about how Williams was the best left back at the club when you had actually the best young left back in the country right there under your noses every week , which apart from being totally mental tells me most people don’t actually know what they are going on about when it comes to judging players potential and they nearly always just want instant gratification and a quick fix. Would Williams have done as well on loan in Milan? I don’t think so. It’s all about getting the right coach with the right talent and going for broke. Maybe Ole just doesn’t actually fancy Dalot simply because he’s much better in a back 5? Or Dalot wanted to play in far more games than we could give him?

It’s the same with AWB now. Just because his whole game hasn’t all come together instantly, he mustn’t be good enough at x y or z for a top club and we need this or that to compensate for him. With the right mentality and enough games these weaker attributes should get better with patience, games and coaching. AWB has played way too many games to be running up and down the pitch for 90 mins up to 3 times a week. That’s going to effect any players output or explosive movement in the final third and he’s already one of our more productive players and people are saying he’s not good enough… it’s crazy. That’s the thing with buying prospects, you have to take it easy on them for a few years while it all comes together and the team gels. AWB is most likely going to be another beast and most people don’t seem to realise the main problem with him is major overuse and no regular partner or chemistry built up on the right

Last edited:

gazbradley

I don’t mind him as a backup if we don’t sign someone else for that ie Trippier but the same time would be happy to sell if the right offer comes in. I think we made a mistake loaning him out to Milan last season rather than another Premier League side, someone who he would’ve been a regular starter for and got more experience in the league would’ve made more sense to me. I don’t think he was terrible last night but don’t think his stock rose either so still kind of in limbo with us

meamth

AWB is far from a perfect player, but he's a settled and generally reliable member of the squad. At this point, I don't see the point in messing around with his position unless the person coming in was a clear cut above AWB in quality and was a plausible permanent replacement. Dalot certainly ain't that. Dalot may be more attacking than AWB but is overall a worse player. At best he gives us a half-decent option in the 8 or 9 games a year we play with wingbacks. The other 50+ games a season he's a worse backup on the bench. We'd be better off either blooding a youngster or getting someone with some experience under their belt.

Those two situations are so different its absurd to compare them. The only connection is that they're full backs. Just because Shaw has turned it round doesnt mean every underperforming footballer will do.
Nah, I remember correctly people hating on Shaw and there were so many disrespectful insults on him when he was wank.

I understood his potential, and always believed in him. Dalot was touted as one of the best prospects in RB, surely the scouts wasn't wrong?

Wasn't he always injured when he was with us? I think this is the first time he lasted for a whole season.

The thing is, I want AWB to succeed and improve into a proper monster once he goes another level. Buying another RB is just wasteful this season.

sourdough satellite

Needs to go back to Portugal and develop properly IMO. Already lost 3 years of valuable development time because he decided to chase the money before he was ready for the big leagues.

largelyworried

Nah, I remember correctly people hating on Shaw and there were so many disrespectful insults on him when he was wank.

I understood his potential, and always believed in him. Dalot was touted as one of the best prospects in RB, surely the scouts wasn't wrong?

Wasn't he always injured when he was with us? I think this is the first time he lasted for a whole season.

The thing is, I want AWB to succeed and improve into a proper monster once he goes another level. Buying another RB is just wasteful this season.
Shaw always looked like an excellent player, its just that people doubted he could stay fit. Dalot on the other hand has been mediocre since we bought him, and fitness had nothing to do with that. You can't use Shaw's experience to read anything into Dalot's future. May as well read tea leaves.

Abraxas

A set of past fan opinions can probably be used to support any notion that you want. If you wish to prop up the idea of patiently supporting a player you can harness the opinion of those that wanted Shaw to stay. There will however be countless times those same people were incorrect on another matter which utterly destroys this logic, or where a player was overused by a manager to our detriment when the fans wanted said player sold long ago. I don't know that it's very easy to extract general maxims from isolated fan opinion.

When you touch on reputation (therefore wider opinion within the game) and qualities (especially those displayed in a Utd shirt and more recently at Milan) then I think this is a much better way of expressing an opinion on what to do with Dalot because reason is then following evidence.

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for now, especially if Williams exits. He's relatively young and flexible. The problem is I think it is accepted that he needs to improve and it he gets the game time of Williams that will be very difficult.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
On side note, Semedo looked really decent RB. Don't mind him here.

lex talionis

Save the transfer warchest for higher priorities and bring Dalot back to cover for AWB. Pretty straightforward, mates.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Feck that. Wed be left with nothing. Trippier isn't moving.