Diogo Dalot - next move?

Infestissumam

I’m not sure Dalot is the player we should be getting rid of at this point. Williams end Laird are out on loan- we have not right back if AWB gets injured…
Tuanzebe too, who can play a bit of RB too.

It just makes no sense. Trippier surely won't happen this summer, and who's our RB cover then if Dalot leaves? Bailly or Lindelöf? :houllier:

TrustInOle

I don't actually think Lindelof would be a bad option to fill in at RB. Played there a bit for Benfica I think.
I don't think he would be a bad back up, but then we are stuck with two defensive options who are limited going forward. For all of Dalot's misgivings, he is our best attacking option from the RB spot.

Zoo

Tuanzebe too, who can play a bit of RB too.

It just makes no sense. Trippier surely won't happen this summer, and who's our RB cover then if Dalot leaves? Bailly or Lindelöf? :houllier:
Convert Dan James into a RB.

ti vu

Last minute signings are not possible unless we get money from selling players. Not loaning them.
What if the potential last minute signings are available for loan with purchase option? For example Saul

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
What if the potential last minute signings are available for loan with purchase option? For example Saul
Diego isn’t on a huge 6 figure salary. His financials aren’t going to affect the deal? And who do you suppose is backup right back? Phil Jones?

ti vu

Diego isn’t on a huge 6 figure salary. His financials aren’t going to affect the deal? And who do you suppose is backup right back? Phil Jones?
We sent him on loan last season and hardly used a back up AWB. Lindelof can play RB, so does Bailly. Me GI can be tried there. He's in the U21 category so doesn't cost that squad slot. Squad slot needed if we need to sign new player.

redpatron

not going to work. Imagine him trying to defend set pieces and crosses. At least Young and Valencia were both big, physical, and athletic that it worked.

stevoc

Perhaps they want the maximum amount of money for Sancho. Letting us know they want Dalot, risks that we may lower the offer by involving Dalot.
Well yeah that's true I suppose.

jesperjaap

He is very average, but the move makes little sense at this point. With our loans he is the only back up as right back, loan with option to buy brings no money in towards a final transfer. What benefit do we actually get out of this deal....its the opposite, it does us no good at all....and yet again would still be failure to offload a single player so far

A-man

I don't actually think Lindelof would be a bad option to fill in at RB. Played there a bit for Benfica I think.
Lindelof is not very good as RB imo. He’s decent defensively but offers nothing going forward. It’s ok for him to take that position for a game or two but not more than that.

rotherham_red

If Dortmund are the ones who are pushing for this deal then we should be able to force through the obligation clause

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we played a back 3 he could probably do a similar job to Lamptey as a wing back. But we don't, so we'll need a player capable of playing as a full back, preferably positionally aware, as we don't have that currently.

Scholsey2004

not going to work. Imagine him trying to defend set pieces and crosses. At least Young and Valencia were both big, physical, and athletic that it worked.
He's also not very good technically. Teams that press high would have an absolute field day with James at right back.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

Ive got no objection at all to moving Dalot on per se as im not at all convinced by him but we already loaned out Williams and Tuanzebe. We'd be extremely light at RB if Dalot left as well without signing a replacement. We could potentally use a combination of Bailly and Lindelof to cover there but thats hardly ideal

Red_toad

Young is 4cm taller than James, so hardly a towering mass of human flesh. James falls over at the slightest contact, he's a winger or nothing for me, regardless of his height.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Feels pretty obvious at this point that the club wanted to register Dalot and keep him around this season, but our inability to move anyone else on means we cannot. That’s why we he will leave late in the window, if at all.

The decision to re-sign Mata is truly baffling. He could be playing for free and wouldn’t be worth the opportunity cost of being able to register another player.

Mickson

Difficult situation, because he is our only RB-cover. But then again, if we don't sell now we risk losing him for nothing or can't sell him at all. This may be our only chance to get decent money for him.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Feels pretty obvious at this point that the club wanted to register Dalot and keep him around this season, but our inability to move anyone else on means we cannot. That’s why we he will leave late in the window, if at all.

The decision to re-sign Mata is truly baffling. He could be playing for free and wouldn’t be worth the opportunity cost of being able to register another player.
The mental gymnastics you’ve gone to so you can bash the club here is phenomenal. It’s seemed pretty obvious to anyone with eyes all summer that we want to get rid of Dalot and bring in trippier. Dalot is linked with a move away at precisely the same time Madrid are linked with signing a right back. You don’t have to be a brain surgeon to figure out what the plan here is. It has feck all to do with registering players or Juan Mata.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The mental gymnastics you’ve gone to so you can bash the club here is phenomenal. It’s seemed pretty obvious to anyone with eyes all summer that we want to get rid of Dalot and bring in trippier. Dalot is linked with a move away at precisely the same time Madrid are linked with signing a right back. You don’t have to be a brain surgeon to figure out what the plan here is. It has feck all to do with registering players or Juan Mata.
If you say so. I’ve hardly “bashed the club” unfairly considering said club literally couldn’t register two players last season as the squad was so bloated – and we’ve still only moved Romero on.

As far as I can work out quickly looking at it, we have 26 players who would need to be registers for the CL, so one of Jones, Dalot, Lingard, Mata and Amad cannot be registered this season for the CL this season. Obviously, if we sign any other players, a further player cannot be registered. We literally cannot register all of our senior players right now.

I think in the PL we are bang on the limit as Amad can be an U21. Obviously, if the club is still looking to buy, someone will have to leave.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
If you say so. I’ve hardly “bashed the club” unfairly considering said club literally couldn’t register two players last season as the squad was so bloated – and we’ve still only moved Romero on.

As far as I can work out quickly looking at it, we have 26 players who would need to be registers for the CL, so one of Jones, Dalot, Lingard, Mata and Amad cannot be registered this season for the CL this season. Obviously, if we sign any other players, a further player cannot be registered. We literally cannot register all of our senior players right now.

I think in the PL we are bang on the limit as Amad can be an U21.
To be fair the Romero decision was silly. The plan this summer is Dalot and Lingard out with Trippier and a CM in I’d assume which means we’re fine. Jones doesn’t need to be CL registered and Amad will likely go on loan.

Drizzle

Why? He’s crap at both ends of the pitch.

Have no idea whatsoever what people see in this lad. He is a complete liability defensively in particular.
Sadly true. I think he did a stepover and a nice cross in his first game for us and people immediately assigned him the status of top class attacking fullback. Sadly he's pretty average going forward. Defensively he's a hologram - attackers just drift through him like he's not there.

No idea why Dortmund would be interested to be honest.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
To be fair the Romero decision was silly. The plan this summer is Dalot and Lingard out with Trippier and a CM in I’d assume which means we’re fine. Jones doesn’t need to be CL registered and Amad will likely go on loan.
So I wasn’t undertaking mental gymnastics then? You are literally paraphrasing my point, which is that players will be leaving if others are coming in, which is why plans are still up in the air.

foolsgold

If Dortmund are the ones who are pushing for this deal then we should be able to force through the obligation clause
If Dortmund with their record of developing younger players want him then I'd say it's a pretty good indiction that we should keep him. Not everyone is the finished product at 21 or 22, Jose might have been an arsehole but he wasn't a fool and spent a lot of money on him. There's a player here, we need to work out how to use him.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
So I wasn’t undertaking mental gymnastics then? You are literally paraphrasing my point, which is that players will be leaving if others are coming in, which is why plans are still up in the air.
Umm no…you said we were selling Dalot because we had to sell him to register another player and then moaned about Mata staying. We’re selling Dalot IF we can get Trippier because ultimately he has no future here - it has feck all to do with Juan Mata and registering players.

Arth_

If Dortmund with their record of developing younger players want him then I'd say it's a pretty good indiction that we should keep him. Not everyone is the finished product at 21 or 22, Jose might have been an arsehole but he wasn't a fool and spent a lot of money on him. There's a player here, we need to work out how to use him.
Like Januzaj?

I think in the PL we are bang on the limit as Amad can be an U21. Obviously, if the club is still looking to buy, someone will have to leave.
If I counted it correctly we are actually 2 players over the limit in the CL. We have 25 players that have to be registered for the Premier League and two additional ones, in Amad and Sancho, that have to be registered in the Champions League A list.

Obvious choice would be to not register Grant and Jones for the CL if the squad stays as it is.

bosskeano

it makes no sense keeping him here if he isn't going to play 40% of the matches otherwise you're not developing him as a player