Djibril Sidibé

RedRover

Seems to be picking up pace, I’d be happy with Sidibe on the right and Alex Sandro on the left with Valencia and Shaw as back up options.

I would be fine with us not signing a centre back in the summer if we got Sidibe and Sandro then brought in a top class playmaker (Kroos, Verratti, Thiago) and a right sided forward (Bale, Mahrez) as I think that’s the most pressing positions.
We’re desperate for centre backs. Bailly looks the part built cant stay fit and it’s clear he doesn’t trust the others - hence the obvious attempts to protect them with a rigid system.

davidmichael

We’re desperate for centre backs. Bailly looks the part built cant stay fit and it’s clear he doesn’t trust the others - hence the obvious attempts to protect them with a rigid system.
We have Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Smalling, Lindelof and Tuanzebe all fighting for two positions and even though only Bailly looks the part I’d say we’re fully stocked at centre back unless we were to sell two then we’d need one in but I don’t see Jose signing 5 players in the summer after signing Sanchez in January.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love for us to sign one of De Ligt, Alderweireld, Umtiti or someone top quality like that but with 6 centre backs on the books I don’t think Jose would see that position as a priority. Right back, left back, central midfield and right sided forward are our 4 major problem positions.

stevoc

Liability defensively as per our resident French league viewers. When has Jose played 2 attacking full backs ?

Jose hardly gets the defenders wrong. So if he thinks , this guy can do a job I am all for it.
Most of the season, i don't really think you could call Valencia, Young or Shaw defensive fullbacks if there even is such a thing.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Not worth the required investment, IMO. Cedric from Southampton for me, or finally poach Coleman from Everton if he’s sufficiently recovered mentally from the leg break.

Long term, hopefully Laird or O’Connor will make the position their own for a decade - they both look that good.

NotATroll

And why is that?
We played Darmian at LB, and Young. Both of these are right-footed. And Jose played Azpilicueta at LB when he was at Chelsea.

I can just see the fans getting excited about a new attacking RB and then all that excitement dissipating when he's put on the left. Like with Sanchez, where fans *knew* he was going to be our RW.

prath92

Seems to be picking up pace, I’d be happy with Sidibe on the right and Alex Sandro on the left with Valencia and Shaw as back up options.

I would be fine with us not signing a centre back in the summer if we got Sidibe and Sandro then brought in a top class playmaker (Kroos, Verratti, Thiago) and a right sided forward (Bale, Mahrez) as I think that’s the most pressing positions.
Think it will be young and Valencia as back up with shaw blind and Darmian to leave

kr0nix

Most of the season, i don't really think you could call Valencia, Young or Shaw defensive fullbacks if there even is such a thing.
Jose has been playing Valencia, Young and Shaw for want of better options. If they get into good areas, they rarely make any meaningful contributions. For the most part they seem to do little more than provide the bare minimum of a passing option for the midfield and forward line. Young is arguably the best offensively and Valencia the best defensively. The fact that Young is deservedly ahead of Shaw in the pecking order really goes to show how huge a disappointment the latter has been considering his obvious gifts.

kr0nix

Meh, I don't really rate this guy. I get the feeling he'd be no better than Aurier has been at Spurs.

RedRover

We have Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Smalling, Lindelof and Tuanzebe all fighting for two positions and even though only Bailly looks the part I’d say we’re fully stocked at centre back unless we were to sell two then we’d need one in but I don’t see Jose signing 5 players in the summer after signing Sanchez in January.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love for us to sign one of De Ligt, Alderweireld, Umtiti or someone top quality like that but with 6 centre backs on the books I don’t think Jose would see that position as a priority. Right back, left back, central midfield and right sided forward are our 4 major problem positions.
Doesn't matter how many players you have for a position if the manager doesn't rate them. Looking at how rigidly we set up it seems obvious to me that Mourinho feels the need to protect the back four at the expense of creativity and freedom further up the pitch. I could see Jones, Smalling and Rojo all moving on and two centre backs coming in.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Doesn't matter how many players you have for a position if the manager doesn't rate them. Looking at how rigidly we set up it seems obvious to me that Mourinho feels the need to protect the back four at the expense of creativity and freedom further up the pitch. I could see Jones, Smalling and Rojo all moving on and two centre backs coming in.
None of those inspire confidence. Jones is probably the most talented but is so injury prone

Marnsky

Didn't Rojo renew his contract just recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmichael

I’d be all for Smalling, Rojo and Lindelof all going then bringing in any of De Ligt, Alderweireld, Umtiti or Skriniar as all 4 are a massive upgrade but Rojo just signed a new contract, Smalling seems to be the one trusted most by Jose as far as being a pure defender and Lindelof has just signed this season.

Like I said I’m not saying that I don’t think we need one but more I don’t think Jose will see it as a priority in the same way right back and left back are as well as central midfield and a right forwards, that said Bailly/Jones looked a good pairing when both fit.

None of those inspire confidence. Jones is probably the most talented but is so injury prone
Jones when fit is probably our best centre back or at least equal to Bailly, they looked good together so if we can keep them fit and integrate Tuanzebe into the first team (as he’s looked a beast when he’s played for us) then we could be set there.

Trizy

His first touch into space when he's about to go on a run looks dreadful. Always over hits it from that youtube clip.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Jones when fit is probably our best centre back or at least equal to Bailly, they looked good together so if we can keep them fit and integrate Tuanzebe into the first team (as he’s looked a beast when he’s played for us) then we could be set there.
That just isn't going to happen though.
Phil Jones' injury record is truly appalling, and this is for a young man..!
As he ages, that frailty isn't suddenly going to magically improve, if anything, it's only likely to get worse.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As long as he's a great attacking FB, I'm in.
Agreed. Sometimes all you need is good pace, engine, and a good cross to be a good fullback. The system can do the rest. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson have essentially been the best in the league for 2018 so far.

RedRover

I’d be all for Smalling, Rojo and Lindelof all going then bringing in any of De Ligt, Alderweireld, Umtiti or Skriniar as all 4 are a massive upgrade but Rojo just signed a new contract, Smalling seems to be the one trusted most by Jose as far as being a pure defender and Lindelof has just signed this season.

Like I said I’m not saying that I don’t think we need one but more I don’t think Jose will see it as a priority in the same way right back and left back are as well as central midfield and a right forwards, that said Bailly/Jones looked a good pairing when both fit.

You may disagree but (as I've said above) the way Mourinho is setting up indicates that he doesn't trust the players he has defensively. He is sacrificing creativity going forward (especially centrally) to make sure the back four aren't exposed and for me, that tells you what he thinks of the players he has. The club will go for ant least one top centre-half in the summer - possibly two, as well as (in my opinion) at least one full back.

Jones will never be a top centre-back. He's injured too often but worse, hasn't ever developed the composure the top players have. Always has an error in him.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I watched Monaco a lot last season and I didn't really rate Sidibe, especially defensively. His best aspects were athleticism and crossing, he created a lot of chances. But it's in defense where a RB is judged mainly and he was a bit rubbish at times. May have improved though.

Mendy on the left was one we should have tried for. He was much, much better than Sidibe.

gajender

Was it an option taken up by the club? if so, sensible to preserve his value.
It was contract extension with new improved terms and it was moronic on clubs part because Rojo is another sick note on top of being quite average.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I watched Monaco a lot last season and I didn't really rate Sidibe, especially defensively. His best aspects were athleticism and crossing, he created a lot of chances. But it's in defense where a RB is judged mainly and he was a bit rubbish at times. May have improved though.

Mendy on the left was one we should have tried for. He was much, much better than Sidibe.
Sidibé was mainly a wingback before joining Monaco, a little bit like Evra. Defensively he was pretty bad when he joined but he has continuously improved since then. If you want a fullback that is a genuine threat in the opposition's half then he is your man and he has shown that he can improve on his weaknesses but if you want a defense first fullback then you should stay as far as you can from him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Which great attacking full back isn't suspect defensively nowadays?
I'd say top teams now judge fullbacks based on how well they contribute in offence more than defence.
At most top clubs, the full backs are the main outlets for the team offensively.
I've not seen much of Sidibe but as long as he's not a disaster defensively, I'd want him here if he's as good going forward as people say.
After two years of seeing Valencia offer very little in attacking areas despite being in promising positions so often, I'm all for a bit of compromise.
Mendy was also prone to defensive lapses at Monaco.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sidibé was mainly a wingback before joining Monaco, a little bit like Evra. Defensively he was pretty bad when he joined but he has continuously improved since then. If you want a fullback that is a genuine threat in the opposition's half then he is your man and he has shown that he can improve on his weaknesses but if you want a defense first fullback then you should stay as far as you can from him.
Remember him watching in CL last season, wasn't impressed. Look weak link in the team.

Has he improved defensively so much? Also do you think he is good enough for us?

Also from what you said, we have to go with that option. We need to sacrifice bit of defensive solidity to improve attack from fullbacks.

JPRouve

Scout
Remember him watching in CL last season, wasn't impressed. Look weak link in the team.

Has he improved defensively so much? Also do you think he is good enough for us?

Also from what you said, we have to go with that option. We need to sacrifice bit of defensive solidity to improve attack from fullbacks.
Defensively, he is a weak link but offensively he is a very strong link. For Monaco it was Fabinho's and Glik's roles to cover for him and they mainly did a very good job, it's important to not look at players in isolation and Sidibé at Monaco is a good example of that, he was the main attacker on the right, it was his job to continuously provide width and opportunities from the right, the price of that is that the opponents knew that it was on that side that they needed to counter because no player can be at two places at the same time.

The main problem with Sidibé is that sometimes he doesn't trackback properly, he is too casual but at the same time the opposing fullback is always reluctant to run forwards because he will pay for it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Defensively, he is a weak link but offensively he is a very strong link. For Monaco it was Fabinho's and Glik's roles to cover for him and they mainly did a very good job, it's important to not look at players in isolation and Sidibé at Monaco is a good example of that, he was the main attacker on the right, it was his job to continuously provide width and opportunities from the right, the price of that is that the opponents knew that it was on that side that they needed to counter because no player can be at two places at the same time.

The main problem with Sidibé is that sometimes he doesn't trackback properly, he is too casual but at the same time the opposing fullback is always reluctant to run forwards because he will pay for it.
I agree, this is something I said from long time defending Evra. When fullback provides width and one of the main attacking outlet, it's just impossible for him to track back all the time and also to be in position all the time. They will get caught out of position when team loses possession. It's a team game so like you said, we have to make a choice.

I didn't watch him closely as I was more focused on Bernardo Silva, thanks for the summary.

If we sign him then defensively we shouldn't have problem. This is something Jose did with Maicon, he had Zanetti to cover the gap. So if we sign him and let him play higher up the pitch then either Herrera or RCB will cover up.

Adding width from fullback should be priority this window. Either Sidibe or any other attacking RB.

Adisa

Haven't seen him this season but watched a fair deal of Monaco in their title winning campaign. He as certainly the outlets as he had Barnardo in front of him. From your description, I'd happily take that compromise if we have a genuine attacking threat on our right side.

stevoc

Jose has been playing Valencia, Young and Shaw for want of better options. If they get into good areas, they rarely make any meaningful contributions. For the most part they seem to do little more than provide the bare minimum of a passing option for the midfield and forward line. Young is arguably the best offensively and Valencia the best defensively. The fact that Young is deservedly ahead of Shaw in the pecking order really goes to show how huge a disappointment the latter has been considering his obvious gifts.
I agree with most of that mate, they're not the best selection of fullbacks but they do get forward and attack. As i was saying they are not defensive minded, they at least try to contribute to the attack as opposed to a player like Darmian.

Jose playing one ''defensive fullback'' is a myth that has thankfully almost disappeared recently after this season it should be completely busted.

Welbeckham

I never even thought he was that impressive offensively last season. Mendy always seemed like the more talented full back there and he's also few years younger. I am not entirely convinced he'd be an upgrade on Valencia. Then again, maybe there just aren't that many stand-out fullbacks in European football currently.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Jose's favored left back is a legit winger, he's scored some bangers this season as well!

This myth about attacking fullbacks is annoying. If you can follow his instructions he'll play you, and that includes if you are a winger doing a job at fullback.

pocco

loco
Which great attacking full back isn't suspect defensively nowadays?
I'd say top teams now judge fullbacks based on how well they contribute in offence more than defence.
At most top clubs, the full backs are the main outlets for the team offensively.
I've not seen much of Sidibe but as long as he's not a disaster defensively, I'd want him here if he's as good going forward as people say.
After two years of seeing Valencia offer very little in attacking areas despite being in promising positions so often, I'm all for a bit of compromise.
Mendy was also prone to defensive lapses at Monaco.
If that were true then we'd be seeing wingers out wide and wingers at full back. Clubs want good full backs that are also good going forward. Some clubs may lean slightly either way depending on their overall approach to the game, but ability to defend is surely high on their list of attributes they want in a full back.

Adisa

If that were true then we'd be seeing wingers out wide and wingers at full back. Clubs want good full backs that are also good going forward. Some clubs may lean slightly either way depending on their overall approach to the game, but ability to defend is surely high on their list of attributes they want in a full back.
Not saying it isn't but top clubs are increasingly after fullbacks as auxiliary attackers. There are almost none that fill that role and still rock solid defensively.
Compromises need to be made.

pocco

loco
Not saying it isn't but top clubs are increasingly after fullbacks as auxiliary attackers. There are almost none that fill that role and still rock solid defensively.
Compromises need to be made.
Yeah I agree, but it's a question of how far they compromise and that depends on each club.

As supporters we love attacking full backs in theory, but if they get caught out often defensively then we complain. So if we're being honest with ourselves we probably compromise on this very little compared to some coaches :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
I'd rather we bring in Meunier, than Sidibe. Whether is that possible is another story altogether.
Funnily enough, there isn't a moment where Meunier has been better than Sidibé. And they are the same type of player with the same type of flaws.

Kostov

Funnily enough, there isn't a moment where Meunier has been better than Sidibé. And they are the same type of player with the same type of flaws.
So i'm wrong thinking Meunier is more solid defensively than Sidibe, while Sidibe is better in attack? A genuine question, since I know you've seen much more of both than me.

onemanarmy

So i'm wrong thinking Meunier is more solid defensively than Sidibe, while Sidibe is better in attack? A genuine question, since I know you've seen much more of both than me.
Meunier is a converted winger, he's very good in attack, decent in defense...