Music DMX suffers overdose | Passed away

Abizzz

Way too young. Rappers are dying early so frequently even once violence is taken out of the equation :(. Remember seeing his interview at drink champs (I think) a couple of years ago, he was already looking really unhealthy. Terribly sad he and no one in his surroundings could help change it.

lsd

The Oracle
Saw Black Rob post a tribute to him online from a hospital bed and he does not look a well man at all either.

lsd

The Oracle
Not been great for a few years apparently, had 4 strokes, not sure if this hospitalization was because of one of them but he's out of hospital now.

Really wow he did not look like he would be getting out of hospital anytime soon in that video

Good luck to him .

Maybe there should be some sort of help set up for artists who clearly need it before it is too late like some sort of committee to identify who needs help and how to go about it.

Roosney

Never was really a big fan of his style nor albums but I can't front, he had some really hard songs that'll get you fired up the second you hear them.
Also a really heartfelt guy too.

RIP DMX

markhughes

Liked some of his music but I really don’t understand people romanticising him as a person. People were busy slating Prince Philip (including changing the title to “racist man dies”), while many were mourning a man who has a rap sheet longer than my arm, a good example of what is wrong with the world today.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Liked some of his music but I really don’t understand people romanticising him as a person. People were busy slating Prince Philip (including changing the title to “racist man dies”), while many were mourning a man who has a rap sheet longer than my arm, a good example of what is wrong with the world today.
You clearly don’t know much about DMX if you think its the rap sheet that defines why hes so liked

markhughes

You clearly don’t know much about DMX if you think its the rap sheet that defines why hes so liked
I didn’t say that people like him because of his rap sheet, I said people are mourning a guy who has a rap sheet longer than my arm while simultaneously we see people mocking Prince Philip, that was curious to me.

What I do know about DMX is that he has form for the following...

*From Wikipedia

DMX was in jail 30 times[72] for various offenses, including robbery, assault, carjacking, animal cruelty, reckless driving, driving under the influence, unlicensed driving, drug possession, probation violation, failure to pay child support, pretending to be a federal agent, and tax evasion.

It’s funny how people can see past all of that because they like his music or find glamour in his story, I genuinely don’t understand it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I didn’t say that people like him because of his rap sheet, I said people are mourning a guy who has a rap sheet longer than my arm while simultaneously we see people mocking Prince Philip, that was curious to me.

*From Wikipedia

DMX was in jail 30 times[72] for various offenses, including robbery, assault, carjacking, animal cruelty, reckless driving, driving under the influence, unlicensed driving, drug possession, probation violation, failure to pay child support, pretending to be a federal agent, and tax evasion.

It’s funny how people can see past all of that because they like his music or find glamour in his story, I genuinely don’t understand it.
He was a drug addict with a troubled childhood so it's not surprising that he ended up committing crime. Had he been raised with the best education with no shortage of money he could have turned out to be a well-rounded human being.

The comparison is silly, Philip was given everything and turned out to be a bigot, DMX was given nothing.

markhughes

He was a drug addict with a troubled childhood so it's not surprising that he ended up committing crime. Had he been raised with the best education with no shortage of money he could have turned out to be a well-rounded human being.

The comparison is silly, Philip was given everything and turned out to be a bigot, DMX was given nothing.
Of course his upbringing was very difficult and certainly shaped him for life however he consistently made choices throughout his life to rob and harm people, from a young age.

My wife has a very similar story to his in regards to her childhood but she still managed to make something of herself, I am not saying that he is the worst person ever but why put him on any kind of pedestal? He has done nothing to deserve that as far as I can see.

Prince Philip had his own story and didn’t have an easy childhood but I grant that he had incredible privilege throughout the majority of his life and that he has made many comments in bad taste. All that being said, he did plenty of good as well.

I am not actively trying to compare both people as such, it’s just an observation on the attitude towards a guy who spent most of his life harming people and animals while simultaneously being a bad father and an old man who was clearly bigoted but never really harmed anyone.

Fingeredmouse

Of course his upbringing was very difficult and certainly shaped him for life however he consistently made choices throughout his life to rob and harm people, from a young age.

My wife has a very similar story to his in regards to her childhood but she still managed to make something of herself, I am not saying that he is the worst person ever but why put him on any kind of pedestal? He has done nothing to deserve that as far as I can see.

Prince Philip had his own story and didn’t have an easy childhood but I grant that he had incredible privilege throughout the majority of his life and that he has made many comments in bad taste. All that being said, he did plenty of good as well.

I am not actively trying to compare both people as such, it’s just an observation on the attitude towards a guy who spent most of his life harming people and animals while simultaneously being a bad father and an old man who was clearly bigoted but never really harmed anyone.
You are literally comparing both people.

Though, you are correct, CBBC being off air due to rolling tributes to DMX was a bit much especially given how fawning and whitewashed those tributes were. Get DMX off of that pedestal and let's properly examine his life, massive Nazi party connections and all.

markhughes

You are literally comparing both people.

Though, you are correct, CBBC being off air due to rolling tributes to DMX was a bit much especially given how fawning and whitewashed those tributes were. Get DMX off of that pedestal and let's properly examine his life, massive Nazi party connections and all.
I guess I did compare them a little, my intention was to really compare the reactions to their deaths rather than the individuals however there was a little crossover there I must admit.

Take the guys music away and what we are left with is the kind of person that society could do without, but hey that is my two cents.

Fingeredmouse

I guess I did compare them a little, my intention was to really compare the reactions to their deaths rather than the individuals however there was a little crossover there I must admit.

Take the guys music away and what we are left with is the kind of person that society could do without, but hey that is my two cents.
Take away the charitable work to justify his tax funded opulent existence and the same could be said of Philip.

There's one of these dead individuals being feted by UK society and it isn't the crackhead homophobe.

markhughes

Take away the charitable work to justify his tax funded opulent existence
He didn’t really have to justify anything though, he didn’t have to do the charity work he did and so to dismiss that would be unfair. Also you don’t know what his motives were for his charity work, it would have been much easier for him to live in luxury without giving anything back.

In addition to the charity work he also had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy, serving your country is generally seen as a positive contribution.

Fingeredmouse

He didn’t really have to justify anything though, he didn’t have to do the charity work he did and so to dismiss that would be unfair. Also you don’t know what his motives were for his charity work, it would have been much easier for him to live in luxury without giving anything back.

In addition to the charity work he also had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy, serving your country is generally seen as a positive contribution.
Yes and I notice his son also received many military medals and achieved high rank too, so it's clear that exceptional military skills must run genetically.

markhughes

Yes and I notice his son also received many military medals and achieved high rank too, so it's clear that exceptional military skills must run genetically.
It seems like you are reluctant to give any credit for service or for charitable work, you clearly have an issue with those of a different class regardless of their activities.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

*From Wikipedia

I refer you to my previous comment. It's a lot more than his music and a lot about the type of man he became later on.
Pulling some information about his past from Wiki again you clearly don't know much about him to be saying what you're saying

On the Prince Philip thing, plenty of people mourning over him too so I don't get the comparison

Fingeredmouse

It seems like you are reluctant to give any credit for service or for charitable work, you clearly have an issue with those of a different class regardless of their activities.
I'm extremely reluctant to give credit to an unfeasibly wealthy taxpayer funded aristocracy doing something to compensate for that, absolutely.
As for a different class, I think you'll find that I am the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and participate actively in charitable work supporting my subjects so I'm speaking from experience.

Balljy

I'm extremely reluctant to give credit to an unfeasibly wealthy taxpayer funded aristocracy doing something to compensate for that, absolutely.
As for a different class, I think you'll find that I am the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and participate actively in charitable work supporting my subjects so I'm speaking from experience.
I really struggle with that. I know people personally who have benefited from the Duke of Edinburgh charitable donations and a while ago the work experience setups as people have enjoyed DMX's music. Not everything needs to be a blanket "good" or "bad" and both DMX and Prince Philip had amounts of both, but to dismiss the good because it doesn't fit seems a bit bizarre to me.

JP77

If you actually look you'll actually find people doing the exact same to DMX. Of course you're going to find mostly positive stuff about him in a thread that's pretty much dedicated to him.

It's not as simple as pulling something up from wikipedia. Let me ask, do you actually know about his history? Genuine question. Nothing excuses some of the crimes, he was a man struggling with severe depression and a large history of issues, mostly drug abuse. That should never be compared with others "oh well so and so beat it and had a bad past so there's no excuse", sadly that's not how addiction and mental health issues work.

What you'll find is people praising him for his music and what he's done with that music in the genre. Arguably a legend in the rap game. That's the reason some are putting him on a 'pedestal' as you put it. Nobody is in here arguing he should be given a nobel peace prize.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
If you actually look you'll actually find people doing the exact same to DMX. Of course you're going to find mostly positive stuff about him in a thread that's pretty much dedicated to him.

It's not as simple as pulling something up from wikipedia. Let me ask, do you actually know about his history? Genuine question. Nothing excuses some of the crimes, he was a man struggling with severe depression and a large history of issues, mostly drug abuse. That should never be compared with others "oh well so and so beat it and had a bad past so there's no excuse", sadly that's not how addiction and mental health issues work.

What you'll find is people praising him for his music and what he's done with that music in the genre. Arguably a legend in the rap game. That's the reason some are putting him on a 'pedestal' as you put it. Nobody is in here arguing he should be given a nobel peace prize.
Also a totally ridiculous comparison to make. One person was born into money and a life of privilege, the other wasn't.

youngrell

I don’t think there’s any real surprise that people who like DMX are not also into Prince Phillip either. Or vice versa.

chicha14

I miss you FT Faith Evans was an absolute banger! More relevant now..
RIP to the absolute GOAT