Music DMX suffers overdose | Passed away

JP77

Watched the Ruff Ryders chronicles about a month back, think some people don’t realise just how big DMX was at one point. True legend of the game.

Sad to say but this news isn’t massively surprising with his issues throughout life. Really pray he manages to pull through. His music deserves to be celebrated, his name deserves mentioning more and more among the best. His story and the pain and emotions he’s capable of putting into his music is up there with the absolute best. He could just make you feel every word he was saying, whether that was some next level emotional life issues or some hard gangster style music. Special talent.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
think some people don’t realise just how big DMX was at one point. True legend of the game.
I just listened to all the tracks in this thread and I have never hear of him or his music. Was he commercially successful? I'm assuming so from the production quality of the videos.

Red_Aaron

I just listened to all the tracks in this thread and I have never hear of him or his music. Was he commercially successful? I'm assuming so from the production quality of the videos.
He was huge, at one point possibly the biggest star in the genre. Think he sold some 10m+ albums
Personally I felt there was a pretty big drop-off after his first 2 albums but those first 2 are classics
I also recall UK Hip Hop icon Tim Westwood :) proclaiming him the best ever whatever that's worth!

He also recorded the quintessential version of this christmas classic!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He was huge, at one point possibly the biggest star in the genre. Think he sold some 10m+ albums
Personally I felt there was a pretty big drop-off after his first 2 albums but those first 2 are classics
I also recall UK Hip Hop icon Tim Westwood :) proclaiming him the best ever whatever that's worth!

He also recorded the quintessential version of this christmas classic!
Thanks.Suprised I haven't heard of him. Not that I'm a hugeness or hip hop fan but only in the same way I'm not a classical music fan.

Many artists had a Rudolph moment though. David Bowie recorded this for example.

Cole9

Extremely sad news. I hope he recovers.

His first five albums all debuted at No. 1 in America, making him the first and only rapper to accomplish this. He was also the first rapper to have his debut and sophomore albums debut at No. 1 in the same year (1998).

I remember when he released his second album in the same year. It was unheard of to release two successful albums in the same year.

Zen

Extremely sad news. I hope he recovers.

His first five albums all debuted at No. 1 in America, making him the first and only rapper to accomplish this. He was also the first rapper to have his debut and sophomore albums debut at No. 1 in the same year (1998).

I remember when he released his second album in the same year. It was unheard of to release two successful albums in the same year.
Was it? Guns n' Roses did it, Bruce, though I guess on the same day not the same? The Beatles, 2Pac.... all before DMX did it, DMX got it in while he was hot - good move mind, and I think both we're considered pretty decent - at the time, may not so much now, never see them in lists as classics of the game.

You know you're pretty big if you end up in a random ass film with Steven Seagal that attempts to not be straight to video though - Rodman did the same thing with his massive popularity with Van Damme.

Cole9

Was it? Guns n' Roses did it, Bruce, though I guess on the same day not the same? The Beatles, 2Pac....
I meant in the rap game. You're right about 2Pac though. I tend to forget about that one as the Makaveli album was a posthumous release (even though it was pretty much completed before he died).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not seen the Woodstock video. Thanks for sharing. Awesome.. Strange watching it for a number of reasons (under the circumstances of him being gravely ill, seeing so many people together after the pandemic, and just seeing a rap artist delivering THAT which today would be unheard of).
I don't know if, or when, there'll be that kind of sardine-like environment for a musical event again. The energy and ability to amp a crowd X had at live events was almost unparalleled in his genre. True 'hype music'.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
All these hiphop legends from the 90s and early 2000s man...I'm getting old, they're getting old.

Sad to see DMX in such a state when he should have been bathing in luxury with his commercial successes.

Cole9

I wouldn't even bother replying to that. It's just attention seeking.

El General 1994

Yeah. On a forum it doesn’t come across well. I think what he is trying to convey is that DMX is a troubled man who will find peace after death. I don’t think he is wishing him to die etc.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He came at a time when rap needed him and he was fecking huge for a good while.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Elaborate on this please.
DMX said himself, " to live is to suffer", and I believe him to have been suffering for a long time. Look at his drug use record, the man is in pain and death would be welcome relief to him. The man has made his mark and he'll be remembered very favourably by a lot of people.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s a shame how feared DMX was, then be seen as a bumbling incoherent drug addict.

People used to be scared of the guy, he was a beast in his prime whilst struggling with addiction. The last few things I’ve seen of his, he just looked very unwell

It made me uneasy seeing his son asking him to get help and DMX getting mad and walking out the room.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Id be very surprised if you haven't heard x gon give it to ya. Was the main song for Deadpool for example.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I hope he rests in peace. Life is a challenge this man is not fit to meet, there's no shame in that.
DMX said himself, " to live is to suffer", and I believe him to have been suffering for a long time. Look at his drug use record, the man is in pain and death would be welcome relief to him. The man has made his mark and he'll be remembered very favourably by a lot of people.
You're a weird bloke.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I take that a compliment. My point of view on this DMX situation is recently matured. Some folks are better off resting in peace.
That's an extremely cynical and sad way of looking at life.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yorkeontop would have executed John Coffey no doubt it my mind.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yorkeontop would have executed John Coffey no doubt it my mind.
By his logic, might as well kill all disabled people and put them out of their misery. Same with people with cancer, might as well stop delaying the inevitable... What the hell is wrong with this dude?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yorkeontop is the type of guy that instead of healing you on COD, will wait for you to bleed out and take all your shit.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Been listening to his stuff since this news. Brings back memories. He has the best ad libs (that's what you call it right?) in history, love him.