Do the fans actually trust ETH or is he walking the Green Mile?

Bestietom

He has done well for us in his first season. If there is one thing I would put my finger on is how much we paid for Antony. He hasn't convinced me yet and I just don't believe he will.
Why he doesn't give Pellistri a chance on the right wing amazes me sometimes.He will score and assist more goals than Antony.

Rednotdead

I’ll judge him when he’s got the squad he wants. Only then will we see his true effectiveness. I think he’d done as well as he could have done with this group of players.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So you think Howe is a better manager than ETH?
I think he might well be. That wasn’t really my point, but I don’t think that’s such an out there call.

Howe did a lot of learning and has that Newcastle squad overperforming. His in game decisions are WAY BETTER than ETH’s, and he isn’t stubborn like ETH, he’s more flexible which is a big strength imo.

You’d never get Howe doing what ETH is doing with Weghorst.

I think if Utd had got Howe and Newcastle got ETH, it’s very possible Utd would be better off for it, and Newcastle worse off.

Kingdingaling

I did trust him but I don’t anymore - I think he’s bought into the hype surrounding him and now is being purposely stubborn about terrible choices that are adversely affecting the team.

If he fails to make the top 4 from the position we were in January - I would say he deserves to be sacked, though I certainly wouldn’t advocate for it.

He’s got an awful long way to go to be any where near the best managers at this stage and recently, he’s done his best to convince me that he’ll never make it.

Hughie77

Whatever happens in the next 4 games, will determine how next season pans out. Give him another transfer window in summer and see who goes and comes in. It's a bit easier if were In CL .

Edwards6

I’ll judge him when he’s got the squad he wants. Only then will we see his true effectiveness. I think he’d done as well as he could have done with this group of players.
Great point, I don't think we're playing the style of football he wants he's had to compromise because we don't have enough players that can do it

croadyman

I don't trust his tactics away from home nor his judgement on players. He has us playing some really nice stuff at OT occasionally but he needs to be giving me more reasons than that to feel optimistic about the future.
Yeah his tactics away from home worry me too

croadyman

He has done well for us in his first season. If there is one thing I would put my finger on is how much we paid for Antony. He hasn't convinced me yet and I just don't believe he will.
Why he doesn't give Pellistri a chance on the right wing amazes me sometimes.He will score and assist more goals than Antony.
Yeah he definitely paid too much for Antony due to signing him so late in window. Hopefully the recruitment team have a significantly bigger say in transfer this summer so Erik can focus on team.

Doodah

He made all the right decisions in the beginning, but then the success gone to his head. Since the League Cup win it's been a tactical horror show, wrong decision after wrong decision. Both him and the team have been resting on their laurels ever since winning the League Cup.

Also just like Ole, he has no plan B.

Skills

Snitch
The 7-0 is more historically significant and what sticks in your mind as a fan, not disputing that, but it's far more important to growth, future potential, next season prospects, summer plans etc to actually win any cup, finishing above in the league and all that. So I guess if you have the mind set of viewing this season as a process to rebuild properly, then individual freak results don't bother you much and you look at things that actually impact the process or are tangible (finishing top 4, winning trophies, and then how we are progressing in the system and what are the reasons it stalls). If you just look at every season as it's own thing, and don't care about any sort of process or don't believe in that logic of building up a team over a couple years, then yeah you'll care more about every game essentially being it's final form.

For me, I'm all in the process boat, it's gonna take a few seasons to get to City's level, the squads mentality needs to be changed which can only happen over time, and the mentality is a far bigger reason for the big game collapses than anything else (given we outplayed and beat these teams at home). Maybe would be something worth more discussion if we didn't beat them at Old Trafford, but given we did, it's much easier for me to write them off as freak results and a mentality thing more than anything.
You're putting a lot of weight on things that haven't happened yet (or might never happen) to justify something that has already happened.

Like I said in my earlier reply, unless he bottles a top 4 finish he'll still manage us next season. So he'll have at least one more season to try and mask the most humiliating result in the clubs history by winning the CL or PL. If his tenure ends with us winning neither, that result will the one that'll be associated with him and his tenure more than anything.
So, was the 7-0 worth it then? For the process and that.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Can't speak to this specific poster and his views, but I think for many, it's easier to cope with a humiliating result when you have the hope (no matter how misguided) that it's part of a process that'll lead us to where we ultimately aspire to be.

Which I think is also why many fans cling on to failing managers in the hope that after everything we've been through, they'll somehow be able to turn it around.

fallengt

As opposite to trusting Glazers ?
Yea I would trust a random cat on the street more than trusting these parasites to get it right

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The 7-0 wasn't part of any process, it was a shit result. It was easier to cope with it as it was an isolated game during/after a period where we won a trophy. So yes, I'd rather have the trophy win and the 7-0 than no trophy and a normal loss.

norm87cro

I trust he thinks he is doing fine and that his motives are withing the success of the club. I trusted Moyes in the same regard

Hughie77

Yes mostly fans do trust him, the preseason was a disaster and its got worse.
The buys arnt good enough there's injuries all over the squad, those are maybe unfortunate, you got the Sancho issue. He bought Mount he bought Onana those buys can make you not to trust him..

Imo he's lost some fans and maybe some players will start questioning his ways as well.
Lose on Sat lunchtime what's the board going to do then?

mintyred

Sounds like he’s running on hope right now. Last season when we got smashed at the start he changed things, this season he’s willing to die with his “philosophy”.

Gordon Godot

I trust the manager. Not our trigged happy balless board
You trust ETH? Why? He needs to take ownership of what has happened on the pitch. Yes he has been let down by our lack of football structure, but equally he wanted and has been allowed to choose players. And his signings are abysmal.

Gordon Godot

Absolute rubbish. He's signed a dozen players. Do Villa or Spurs have squads all signed by their managers? No. We have a team full of internationals. He is lost and his signings are woeful. He's clearly lost the players and his single pivot is why we are so open and cannot control matches. He's gone, just question of when.

glasgow 21

Yeah he definitely paid too much for Antony due to signing him so late in window. Hopefully the recruitment team have a significantly bigger say in transfer this summer so Erik can focus on team.
Not a huge fan of ETH but if you think the numbers on Antony is all down to ETH your deluded. Yeah ETH done all the negotiating on wages and fee with AJAX and agent , yeah right.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You trust ETH? Why? He needs to take ownership of what has happened on the pitch. Yes he has been let down by our lack of football structure, but equally he wanted and has been allowed to choose players. And his signings are abysmal.
There is no version of reality in which Casemiro, Eriksen, Martinez are Abysmal signings. There is also no significant body of evidence to label Onana, Amrabat, Mount, Hoijlund, Bayindir, Reguillion nor Evans abysmal either. All you have to go on is malacia, Antony and weghorst. Confirming how histrionically ludicrous you claim is.

Ace of Spades

Not anymore, the fact that by his own admission he is trying to play football on fast transition, rather than trying to play with more control and possession has been a big blow to me for reasons to stick by him.

The reason we bought him was to change the way we play, to the point we signed several of his ex-players to be easier to integrate and facilitate the change. Now he says he was not even trying to do that.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not so sure i do anymore....or at least not anywhere near the extent i used to (start of the season). Even when things got tough at the start of this season, i thought my faith would be unwavering - at the very least until after the Christmas period/end of the second season but it's fast eroding.

Why I was excited & fully backed him (what he achieved/how he played with Ajax) seems to be in contrast to what he is actually "trying" to do (fast transitions/counter attack/the United way) with us (and not doing it well either).

Unless something got lost in translation of course. But yeah, really not a fan of our supposed 2 "best players" either (Rashford, Bruno). But watch a new manager come in, them lighting it up for half a season and the same shit cycle repeating itself.

Oh, and Arnold/Murtough - clueless as feck as well. Gosh, how i feel duped.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I still do, i dont trust our players or the Board though. It'll be the manager that carries the can (again) but the problems will still be there and will inevitably be the next managers downfall too.

manichester

No lost my trust when signing Mount, a player who is passed his sell by date. If he really wanted him he should have waited till next year and got him on a free transfer. Our central defence was a much bigger issue with Varane missing a lot of games, surely with the Mount money and the fee we received for Fred we could have found a centre back and a midfielder. Maguire might then have got the message early doors in the transfer window he was even lower down the pecking order and moved on.
I would also say that I would accept bad results if there was some sign of progress and have a system of playing football that looks to the future, what we are doing know has no place at Manchester United. I would accept missing out on European football and not winning anything than the rubbish that is being dished up now.
Playing inverted wingers is O.K. but why do we never see them switch wings during the game and give the opposition something to think about, our tactics are outdated and far to rigid.

diawl_coch

Agree regarding rigid, inflexible, tactics.

OGS had more clue to how to use pace, what we are seeing is really tur-gid rubbish now.

Stacks

Absolute rubbish. He's signed a dozen players. Do Villa or Spurs have squads all signed by their managers? No. We have a team full of internationals. He is lost and his signings are woeful. He's clearly lost the players and his single pivot is why we are so open and cannot control matches. He's gone, just question of when.
every United manager needs a whole new 23 players of their players, plus 3 years to implement their philosophy, plus they must be able to rebuild the stadium brick by brick. United fans probably the most patient of any due to the whole "Ferguson got 5 years and look what he done"

spiriticon

I don't trust him at all. He currently looks clueless at transfers, man management, game to game tactics and building an overall playing system.

His only saving grace is that I don't trust the next guy after him either, if he is sacked.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The writing's on the wall IMO, we're regressing badly, all the pundits are saying the same thing, no one can identify what United, as a team, are trying to do, how they're trying to play. that's on EtH, he picks the team and decides the tactics, I think if we don't perform in the next 3 games he'll be gone

Baneofthegame

The writing's on the wall IMO, we're regressing badly, all the pundits are saying the same thing, no one can identify what United, as a team, are trying to do, how they're trying to play. that's on EtH, he picks the team and decides the tactics, I think if we don't perform in the next 3 games he'll be gone
I was thinking this, I think the comment about Ajax/Man Utd did it for me, we brought him here for his football, not to pander to some united DNA which he hasn’t achieved either.

I don’t want him sacked, but at the same time I don’t really see what football we are playing.

joedirt87

Don't want him sacked, but I've got Copenhagen away marked as his last match if he loses these next 2 games.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Remember when we were all worried he would walk away cause he wasn’t getting the players he wanted? Those were the days.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don't want him sacked, but I've got Copenhagen away marked as his last match if he loses these next 2 games.
Joking aren’t you. These owners will wait until April to sack him. We got thrashed of Liverpool under Ole during our worse period and he still had a job few games later. Wasn’t until Watford battered us he lost his job

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I say “we” but I really mean “the idiots”.
If he really wanted to save his reputation then he would walk away and be the first manager to do so and I think he’d get a lot of credit for it. He’d also send out a message by saying he can’t work under such a shocking structure. He’ll get another decent job after us, obvs not a bigger job but he could get a bigger job then Ajax still.

Rednotdead

I made that post on 8th May, 6 months ago.