Do we need an experienced backup striker?

Minimalist

I don't think there's any doubt Rashford and Martial are strikers. I'm just not convinced they'll score enough (more faith in Martial personally). Don't think we signed Sanchez to be an up-top striker.

Decomposing In Paris

well their have been concerns about Dembele and questions over Asensio position.
bottom line is we have heard that argument for two years, and we have seen the lack of progress in Rashford, players get better with regular playing time. If we want Rashford to be a decent strker we need him to get game time thier, players don't magically get to an age and be ready to play.

I suspect however we will be having this debate for another few years, with fans saying he doesn't need to play its fine, then it will switch to well he just wasn't good enough and he will leave.
There really aren't questions about Dembele and Asensio that couldn't be asked of Rashford. So what's the solution, a loan?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think we do, for chasing game or when Lukaku is in his (big games) period.

We used to have FOUR strikers, rotating for 2 spots. And in our Treble season, we had Solksjaer and Sheringham, who contributed to us winning the Champions League. And those back ups were all seasons pro.

To my surprise, not many see this need when listing those 6 new players thread. Who'd be suitable and available? Discuss.
We used to have 4 strikers because 4-4-2 was the common formation. Now it's usually one up top so it makes sense not have so many, however I do think if Rashford or Martial can't do it (and they haven't really shown they can) we'd need a decent backup because if Lukaku got a season ending injury we'd be fecked. Fortunately he looks like he's pretty fit most of the time.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah but they are not really strikers. Are they?
There was a time when we had Yorke, Cole, Sheringham & Ole. Four strikers.
Once we had McClair, Hughes & Cantona.
Or how about Ronaldo, Rooney & Tevez?
Even Ruud had a young Rooney and Ole as back up.
Lukaku has...
Rashford, Martial and Sanchez.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We used to have 4 strikers because 4-4-2 was the common formation. Now it's usually one up top so it makes sense not have so many, however I do think if Rashford or Martial can't do it (and they haven't really shown they can) we'd need a decent backup because if Lukaku got a season ending injury we'd be fecked. Fortunately he looks like he's pretty fit most of the time.
Some suggested Sanchez, so maybe he could be the answer. Although I'll be more comfortable if we sign a more pure no. 9 than him though. I like Rashford (not so much on Martial), but like you said, I don't think we should be depend on him too much.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
There really aren't questions about Dembele and Asensio that couldn't be asked of Rashford. So what's the solution, a loan?
Well I think the solution was to loan him out the moment Zlatan and Mourinho where announced.he would of gone out on loan full of confidence after a great break through few months.

Now I don’t know, I think the last two years have defiantly hurt his development, in his first season he looked like nothing phased him that he was just ready. now the past years of chopping changing, thinly hidden criticism, the constant been told your not ready, with the rummores lack attacking tactics trained in training seem have massively hurt his confidence , when ever he plays now he looks either he is either nervous he is gonna feck or so desperate to make an impression he tries to take it round everyone when ever he gets the ball. He never just looks relaxed enough to just play, which is exactly how he did look when Mourinho took over.

So sending him out on loan is probably going to knock his confidence even further.

But the manager obviously doesn’t trust him at the moment and doesn’t look like it will change until he has more experience, which he isn’t going to get here (catch 22) so I guess the only option is to loan him out if we want him to progress.

Thought that would leave us short of strikers, and you never know with loans, finding a club that will spend time developing and nurturing a play that they only have for one season is a rare thing.

It’s not a simple answer, but the fact it has been handled badly for two years has made it worse.

Eli Zee

Yeah I've thought for a while we we need someone. Martial and Rashford just aren't ready to carry us if Lukaku gets injured.

Saying that, its not worth it for Jose. He'd get hell abuse if he put someone in front of Rashford. I reckon we'll just hope Rashford improves
In my opinion, It’s 100% worth it for José... he’s trying to win and improve the team and if rashford going on loan and bringing in a better a striker is the answer, Its worth doing

Rashford gets game time and develops more for the future and we score more goals + have a good backup... where’s the badside to this?

Lukaku is decent but we can do better tbh

Okey

Definitely need a back up (or rather another) striker if we aim to move up a level. Our current top striker isn't exactly elite. Watching Griezmann in the Europa finals had me dreaming of what might have been! I wouldn't mind Vardy to be honest. He's added another year and spent another season in mid table. That should knock off a few million quid from his fee. Mourinho is supposed to like direct play. They don't come more direct that Jamie. And erm...can he bring Mahrez along please?

Fer

Mertens could be an option.

Rashford and Mertens could cover Lukaku if needed (we also have Sanchez and Martial for an emergency)

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
Looking at the way we play i believe if we can add one tall player it would be amazing. If we can bring a striker like mandzukic or dzeko. We cannot afford to play lukaku play all our games and risk injury ,neither can we play a non striker there.

StonedhamsterZA

Can't see Alexis, Martial or Rashford playing up front unless Mou drastically changes the way he uses those guys. I think it will be Lukaku or bust. In this case, we are in trouble if Lukaku is out for a few weeks. I'd rather us think about bringing in a striker to compete with Lukaku, rather than back him up. We have enough fixtures to satisfy two players in the same position.

I just can't see a player that fits the mould of "proven goal scorer" and "happy to sit on the bench until needed". So I'd rather sign a player that suits the former, rather than the latter.

AgentP

Jose doesn't like to rotate. Once a player has established himself in the team, he gets to play almost all games. Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic, Young and Valencia are examples of this. Only the players who have not won Jose's trust get rotated. So it makes no sense to get a new striker as we already have Rashford to cover the few games that Lukaku might miss due to injury or fatigue.

StonedhamsterZA

Jose doesn't like to rotate. Once a player has established himself in the team, he gets to play almost all games. Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic, Young and Valencia are examples of this. Only the players who have not won Jose's trust get rotated. So it makes no sense to get a new striker as we already have Rashford to cover the few games that Lukaku might miss due to injury or fatigue.
I get what you're saying, but I just feel we can't play Rashford as LW/RW for the whole season and then move him into Lukaku's spot when he gets injured and expect him to perform. If Martial/Rashford can't be trusted to start up front, then we can't expect one of them to deliver the goods if Lukaku is out for a few weeks.

Rory 7

:lol:

I'm asking you what striker you would buy? Surely it can't be that difficult to answer.
Why should it be a known striker that we buy? Had anyone heard of Ole before Fergie found him? Could we not sign a deputy to Lukaku that’s a second tier striker similar in stature? The point is we have Lukaku no.9 with no deputy capable of stepping in for him when injured. Martial, Rashford and Sanchez are not even remotely capable of playing the role of target man no 9 that Lukaku does and aren’t strikers to begin with so United have one striker in the squad as result. Not acceptable for a club of our stature.

sam147

Why should it be a known striker that we buy? Had anyone heard of Ole before Fergie found him? Could we not sign a deputy to Lukaku that’s a second tier striker similar in stature? The point is we have Lukaku no.9 with no deputy capable of stepping in for him when injured. Martial, Rashford and Sanchez are not even remotely capable of playing the role of target man no 9 that Lukaku does and aren’t strikers to begin with so United have one striker in the squad as result. Not acceptable for a club of our stature.
100% agree. When we dont have Lukaku we can't play to the best of the teams ability. All it takes is one Injury or slump for Lukaku and our seasons gone. Rashford just plays like a headless chicken. Martial as talented as he is looks like he is on his way out. Sanchez isn't a target man. Unless we change our style of play we need another CF to compete. Jose usually likes competition as he believes it betters other players. Id bring in Willian Jose from Real Sociedad. 20 goals this season. Big strong target man. If not Mandzukic.

Reactions: Penna

Walters_19_MuFc

I agree. So here's me, yet again, asking if you have anyone in mind? I really didn't think the question was that hard. Deary me!

0161_UNITED

I haven’t the foggiest at this point. We certainly need to know who besides Rashford will play CF if Lukaku is out. Jose hasn’t played Sanchez or Martial there to my knowledge. An impact striker as a sub would be nice - someone besides, you know, Fellaini. Although, fair fecks to Fellaini, he’s done the job at times. His footballing ability just ain’t my cup of tea.

Rory 7

I agree. So here's me, yet again, asking if you have anyone in mind? I really didn't think the question was that hard. Deary me!
I think I've made it clear I don't have anyone in mind no. As I said, did we all have Ole in mind when Fergie found him. I'm not a scout, I'm a fan. I want the manager to find us some strikers. Rashford and Marital aren't. Is that hard to understand? Deary me.

Roeindo

Nope..we have player that can do the job in Martial and Rashford. Theyve showed it under Van Gal. Shame they still dont get JM trust.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think every big club could could do very good with a player like Chicharito or Morata coming from the bench, they might not be happy with the role at first but it's to the manager to handle that and make us of that type of players so they feel important for the club.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think I've made it clear I don't have anyone in mind no. As I said, did we all have Ole in mind when Fergie found him. I'm not a scout, I'm a fan. I want the manager to find us some strikers. Rashford and Marital aren't. Is that hard to understand? Deary me.
God knows why you didn't just say that when I asked the question first time.

poleglass red

I think every big club could could do very good with a player like Chicharito or Morata coming from the bench, they might not be happy with the role at first but it's to the manager to handle that and make us of that type of players so they feel important for the club.
Morata cost 70 million quid, that's an expensive option to have on the bench week in week out

Walters_19_MuFc

Hernandez left United because he was always on the bench. Morata will not continue to be happy being second fiddle. Same reason he left Madrid.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This thread question is one we've been fairly lucky to not deal with until this last few weeks of the season.
Rashford and Martial are just completely different styles of players that don't really fir the Mourinho main striker mould.

Just hope Lukaku is in good shape tomorrow!

Walters_19_MuFc

Because I’m not in the habit of staying the bleeding obvious.
Stating the obvious?

I asked a simple question, where I genuinely wanted to know what striker you'd get, given the choice.

Instead of saying you don't know, you decided to reply with a silly sarcastic comment.

Ajax Treesdown

I think we do, for chasing game or when Lukaku is in his (big games) period.

We used to have FOUR strikers, rotating for 2 spots. And in our Treble season, we had Solksjaer and Sheringham, who contributed to us winning the Champions League. And those back ups were all seasons pro.

To my surprise, not many see this need when listing those 6 new players thread. Who'd be suitable and available? Discuss.
We used to play 2 up top hence he need for 4 strikers. we play one striker nowadays so I'm not sure we need any new additions since rom barely misses any football and we martial and Rash as backup

Last edited:

Rory 7

Stating the obvious?

I asked a simple question, where I genuinely wanted to know what striker you'd get, given the choice.

Instead of saying you don't know, you decided to reply with a silly sarcastic comment.
Yeah. All this is true. Maybe that’s because I ain’t a transfer muppet.

Last edited: