Votes: 1,069 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 9.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 96 7.4%

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The roof is leaking, there's been no expansion for 10 years (where other clubs have caught up), the toilets are in a state.

And this is from my limited 'research', as I am no match-going fan. I can let others here explain in more detail.
Heard commentators on the radio make the point that the facilities for them are some of the worst in the league too, which is a reflection of how OT has generally been allowed to age badly.

Dan_F

So, wearing a helmet would have absolved the idiot who struck the cop of any blame? A protection device would have made the assault legal when that cop was trying to get that nutter out of the stadium?
No. It would have stopped the policeman getting a cut on his face.

Is that when it happened? When he was trying to get the “nutter” out of the stadium? Genuinely interested, as I didn’t see any violence inside the stadium. Sky didn’t report any and said they left peacefully.

James Peril

Absolutely not. I respect the law and the police, I don’t believe football is ever a reason for escalations like these. On top of all, it’s a global pandemic and governmental restrictions are in place - which were completely overlooked by a bunch of half-witted clowns.

Protesting in itself is a human right in a democracy - hence why the polls are in the 90% I guess. This is however not a peaceful protest, many of these are criminals and it is an embarrassing day for Manchester United and England. Grim day for the security company in charge of Old Trafford too, surely many employees at the stadium are scared shitless as a consequence.. just like employees in Congress a few months ago.

The game is off, it will be played tomorrow, no difference has been made whatsoever - except for a few people going to prison and never going back to Old Trafford again. This is JUST football, this is not overthrowing government tyranny. I saw people throwing flares at the clothed stands, which could lead to fires.. I saw kids (!) among the people on the crowded pitch, I saw a mob pressing the police into a corner, a police man with a smashed face… I was wondering if this was England in 2021 or Yugoslavia back in the 90’s. Many of the people there were just present to fight and cause trouble. And no, the argument that «a small minority among otherwise peaceful protesters bla bla» does not work, this was always the outcome if you gather up like this and involve football fans.

The message to the Glazers could have been made in a different, elegant way, this is the equivilant of hitting someone in the face because you didn’t come up with better words in a discussion. If we let thugs dictate the world like this, what kind of world are we looking for? Again, it’s just football and we have not been relegated or moved to a different city, we are 2nd and soon playing in a final. Again, embarrassing day for Manchester United.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
You're looking at it purely from a legal perspective. Legally you are correct.
What you're failing to appreciate is that the club is nothing without the fans. There would be no Manchester United without the precious fans.
What red blooded fans see is that they were walking onto the pitch of THEIR CLUB!
But all that doesn’t matter feck all legally.

Yes, I do understand the emotions behind what was done today. I’ve been a part of a massive court invasion after a big win & almost went to jail for it. We definitely get caught up in the romance of our club, no doubt about it.

But to somehow justify a crime because of passion is bizarre. It’s trespassing, it’s a crime.

mckenzie79

Fecking lightweight then isn't he. Can I come and set a flare off in your general direction? Is that OK? State of this.
The state of you.

No offense, you go away to Leeds / West Ham and you gonna see that all the time.

I dont see Graham Sounness talking about Galatasaray fans, or Rangers fans who have done a lot worse.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
None of the violence would happen if Glazers didn't try ship the club to ESL and destabilize already shitty relationship with supporters. This is just another argument to not stop the protests.

The faster they f*ck off, the better. Protests In, Glazers Out.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
No. It would have stopped the policeman getting a cut on his face.

Is that when it happened? When he was trying to get the “nutter” out of the stadium? Genuinely interested, as I didn’t see any violence inside the stadium. Sky didn’t report any and said they left peacefully.
In the background, it’s all green. You can actually see a painted line on the grass behind the cop. It was inside the stadium, it wasn’t during the fracas outside the stadium.

Ainu

I would've preferred another option that explicitly states you support the protest while also condemning the few resorting to violence and vandalism. In the absence of that option, I still voted yes and sort of assume that addendum is implied.

Anyone condemning the entire movement due to a minority that misbehaved, needs to check their priorities. Nothing justifies violence for me, but that isn't what most protesters were about. To present it as such would be an insult to the fans who were protesting peacefully.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Greater Manchester Police have released a statement after events at Old Trafford today.

"Officers were aware of a protest planned to take place in Old Trafford today (Sunday 2 May) and were working closely alongside partners to ensure those that attended were kept safe whilst enabling their right to peaceful protest.

"Early this afternoon, groups of protestors began to gather at Old Trafford and separately at The Lowry Hotel, Salford where the United players were staying. By late afternoon around 200 protestors had gathered outside the Lowry and over 1,000 at Old Trafford.

"Officers continued to closely monitor the situation, engaging with those present but as the groups grew in size; it became clear that many of those present were not intending to exercise their right to peaceful protest. Flares were let off and bottles thrown at officers.

"Protestors outside Old Trafford became especially aggressive and antagonistic towards police before a group of about 100 forced entry to the ground with some United staff having to lock themselves in rooms".

“Those in the stadium were evicted by officers but outside on the forecourt hostility grew with bottles and barriers being thrown at officers and horses. Two officers have been injured with one officer being attacked with a bottle and sustaining a significant slash wound to his face requiring emergency hospital treatment.

"With the situation increasing in hostility, additional officers had to be deployed and officers had to be drawn in from neighbouring forces to assist Greater Manchester officers.

"Following discussion with The Premier League, Trafford Council and the clubs, a joint decision was made to postpone the match for safety reasons.

GMP Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said: "The behaviour displayed today by those at both Old Trafford and The Lowry Hotel was reckless and dangerous.

"We understand the passion many supporters have for their team and we fully respect the right for peaceful protest. Plans were in place to ensure this could happen safely, but it soon became clear that many present had no intention of doing so peacefully.

"The actions of those today required us to take officers from front line policing and call in support from neighbouring forces to prevent the disorder getting worse. At different points, bottles and barriers were thrown, officers assaulted and people scaled the stadium structure creating risk for themselves and officers

"We have launched an investigation and we will be working closely alongside partners to ensure we establish the full circumstances surrounding today's events and prosecute those responsible."

Those saying this got great attention in my opinion are wrong. It’ll do more damage to the cause than good - BBC are already completely against the protests as will Sky be once Neville/Carragher aren’t on there.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yeah, because we Americans have never had to protest for anything to change.

And we all love the owners because we are American.
we got one, boys, we know americans can’t do sarcasm.

Renegade

why do you need a can of beer in hand to protest?

Not that I disagree with the Protest.

vidic blood & sand

But all that doesn’t matter feck all legally.

Yes, I do understand the emotions behind what was done today. I’ve been a part of a massive court invasion after a big win & almost went to jail for it. We definitely get caught up in the romance of our club, no doubt about it.

But to somehow justify a crime because of passion is bizarre. It’s trespassing, it’s a crime.
Again, you're right if you look at the crime of the situation from a legal perspective.
I would ask you what you think is worse, crime committed legally or crime committed illegally?
The Glazers bought the club using loans secured against the value of the club in order to make personal profit from the club? How can you justify this?

Drawfull

The state of you.

No offense, you go away to Leeds / West Ham and you gonna see that all the time.

I dont see Graham Sounness talking about Galatasaray fans, or Rangers fans who have done a lot worse.
That makes it OK then. You know nothing about me. I don't break the law, I'm not a neanderthal thug, I don't go around kicking the shit out of people that can't fight back, or rather, I don't go round kicking the shit out of anyone.

I couldn't give a flying feck what violence Rangers fans do, or what Galatasaray fans do, because I am a normal human being.

So stick you're 'state of you' wherever you like because your attitude says an awful lot more about you, than the message you replied to says about me. Pathetic.

edcunited1878

But such things need mass organistion. I personally haven't given the Glazers any money for years. I stopped going to games. I later stopped my sky subscription as well. Many of us did after the take over. But not enough. Events like today are essential to build enough momentum for the other avenues to be effective. This isn't the end of the action, it's just another step in the right direction.
It's not even only mass organization and high volume of actors similar to what you've done, but there must be active and constructive plans for change at the higher levels.

At the end of the day, the FA and Premier League allowed these takeovers to happen. The same supporters have to pressure the governing bodies to make changes.

Dan_F

In the background, it’s all green. You can actually see a painted line on the grass behind the cop. It was inside the stadium, it wasn’t during the fracas outside the stadium.
Okay no worries. I didn’t realise there was issues like that inside. It wasn’t really shown or mentioned on tv, and I didn’t see it on social. I think people should be able to separate the legitimate protesting from the violence. I highly doubt everyone went in the stadium looking for violence. It was done for maximum exposure and worked.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Jesus Im starting to have a couple of 2nd thoughts reading that police report. The image of staff locking themselves in a room is all too similar to a certain incident in DC a few months ago

Acquire Me

It will always be someone in a large group that will be up to no good. No support for them what so ever. But this is just part of the game, either that or nothing at all.

IMO we should all stand behind the protest. The protests must go down to make a change.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Again, you're right if you look at the crime of the situation from a legal perspective.
I would ask you what you think is worse, crime committed legally or crime committed illegally?
The Glazers bought the club using loans secured against the value of the club in order to make personal profit from the club? How can you justify this?
Your initial post said how can a fan call it ‘trespassing.’ There’s no other way to define that.

What is a legally committed crime / an illegally committed crime? Can you give examples of these?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard these terms before.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Absolutely not. I respect the law and the police, I don’t believe football is ever a reason for escalations like these. On top of all, it’s a global pandemic and governmental restrictions are in place - which were completely overlooked by a bunch of half-witted clowns.

Protesting in itself is a human right in a democracy - hence why the polls are in the 90% I guess. This is however not a peaceful protest, many of these are criminals and it is an embarrassing day for Manchester United and England. Grim day for the security company in charge of Old Trafford too, surely many employees at the stadium are scared shitless as a consequence.. just like employees in Congress a few months ago.

The game is off, it will be played tomorrow, no difference has been made whatsoever - except for a few people going to prison and never going back to Old Trafford again. This is JUST football, this is not overthrowing government tyranny. I saw people throwing flares at the clothed stands, which could lead to fires.. I saw kids (!) among the people on the crowded pitch, I saw a mob pressing the police into a corner, a police man with a smashed face… I was wondering if this was England in 2021 or Yugoslavia back in the 90’s. Many of the people there were just present to fight and cause trouble. And no, the argument that «a small minority among otherwise peaceful protesters bla bla» does not work, this was always the outcome if you gather up like this and involve football fans.

The message to the Glazers could have been made in a different, elegant way, this is the equivilant of hitting someone in the face because you didn’t come up with better words in a discussion. If we let thugs dictate the world like this, what kind of world are we looking for? Again, it’s just football and we have not been relegated or moved to a different city, we are 2nd and soon playing in a final. Again, embarrassing day for Manchester United.
Here you go again.

If the government made a law banning breathing, I guess you'd be one of those people blindly complying.

And please stop lying and spreading nonsense like the protest made no difference. It made the news in the UK, in the US and it hit Sky's pockets because it ruined their precious little schedule.

As for your frankly naive and childish idea of taking the message to the Glazers, an ant will have more success getting the attention of an elephant.

I am sorry to say that people like you just do not get how change is achieved. And I don't care if I get called rabit for it. From where I stand, you sound like one of those 'I'm alright, Jack' people that don't care if others suffer if their little world is undisturbed.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Never been prouder. Its reassuring to know that people still give a sh** and are prepared to act. Green and gold scarves and tweets will achieve nothing.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Disrupting the game, the glazers, protests outside the hotel yes, bellends in the stadium throwing tv camera's and people attacking the police no and i hope they get banned for life.
Agreed - no quibble from me

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
None of the violence would happen if Glazers didn't try ship the club to ESL and destabilize already shitty relationship with supporters. This is just another argument to not stop the protests.

The faster they f*ck off, the better. Protests In, Glazers Out.
This - in spades

TheReligion

Abusive
That’s very unfortunate, but always happens when police step in to disperse protests. No idea why the police wouldn’t have had riot gear.
It doesn't work like that unfortunately. It's clear they weren't expecting disorder of that nature so wouldn't have been deployed in full gear. It can been seen as inflammatory and oppressive to turn to to a peaceful protest in full riot gear from the word go.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Okay no worries. I didn’t realise there was issues like that inside. It wasn’t really shown or mentioned on tv, and I didn’t see it on social. I think people should be able to separate the legitimate protesting from the violence. I highly doubt everyone went in the stadium looking for violence. It was done for maximum exposure and worked.
Bit of a strawman there. No one is saying that everyone went into the stadium with violent intentions.

But violence occurred from someone within that group. That can’t be overlooked or countenanced.

Do you feel that there needs to be reform in policing? Only a small percentage of civilian / police encounters are violent.

It’s interesting through what side of the prism some are looking here to justify their emotions.

dove

100%. People saying stuff like "The game is off, it will be played tomorrow, no difference has been made whatsoever" completely miss the point. Today the protesters made a massive statement, hope it continues. That's the only way to get the leeches out of the club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
“Those in the stadium were evicted by officers but outside on the forecourt hostility grew with bottles and barriers being thrown at officers and horses. Two officers have been injured with one officer being attacked with a bottle and sustaining a significant slash wound to his face requiring emergency hospital treatment.
Protesters who do things like this should be identified and prosecuted to the full extent possible. And any posters here who applaud that sort of thing should be banned.

However, we can still agree with the protests generally while attacking the individual scumbags who go too far.

vidic blood & sand

Your initial post said how can a fan call it ‘trespassing.’ There’s no other way to define that.

What is a legally committed crime / an illegally committed crime? Can you give examples of these?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard these terms before.
Not sure what your point is here. I conceded that the fans legally committed a crime.
The disagreement is over whether it was justified.

Castia

Absolutely

We’ve tried getting them out before to no avail we needed to ‘step it up’ and this was the correct response.

Jev

The roof is leaking, there's been no expansion for 10 years (where other clubs have caught up), the toilets are in a state.

And this is from my limited 'research', as I am no match-going fan. I can let others here explain in more detail.
That's seems more like letting the stadium rot rather than the club but fair enough.

I understand the frustration and anger from the match-going fans as they've been the ones particularly hurt by the Glazer takeover. I also understand and applaud the global fan base showing solidarity with said match-going fans. What I don't understand is the vitriol and hatred shown by many continental fans like myself who seem to think anything would be better than the Glazers. It seems, from some sections of fans, to be mostly about us not spending enough money to buy marquee signings. Even though we kind of have, we've just spent them poorly. And with our most probably buyer being a magnate with ties to the Saudi government, I just think people should be careful what they wish for.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

The state of this post. I'm sure you'll totally disagree with me, but mate you just don't get it.

mckenzie79

I am so, so proud of our fans today. I obviously condemn any violence if there was any, but we organised the best peaceful protest this country has seen in modern times, where headlines will be written around the world. To stop Man Utd v Liverpool is the equalivant of stopping the classico. Well done everyone involved, I stand with you.

Nickelodeon

While I agree with the overall protests, can’t agree with today’s. Once anyone who isn’t part of the problem (in this case, the ground staff, police etc) get impacted negatively, you can’t condone these actions. They could’ve sat on the pitch and just drank their beers while chanting Glazers out. But this one had a hooligan element to it.