Do you believe Ronaldo is finished as a top level player?

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flameinthesun

His movement is still spot on and still a threat but it just isn't coming together right now. Feel really bad for him, but that's being 38.
I'll give him that he does make good runs. The reality is though he never had the feet to player the striker role in a possesion/passing based team and now that his agility is pretty much gone the reality is he is done at the very top level. The guys 38, hopefully in January he goes.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
100% finished as a top level player, 100% finished at our level and I have my doubts he’ll even be able to do anything in the MLS now.

It is what it is. He lasted at the top level much longer than most could ever hope to.

Idxomer

He can't get shots off anymore. 3 or 4 times today Pneumonia players get their foot in before Ronaldo could even shoot and that was one of his strengths before, those accurate snapshots.
:lol: :lol:

UnitedRepublic

He is hurting the team his only mission is to score and feed his ego. He can stay on the bench in the league and let him play the europa games we can’t force feed him balls just for him to score.

AJ VII

He looks like what John O'Shea would look like as a striker.

It makes me sick to my stomach that we would be willing to sacrifice a victory just for him to make the scoresheet. Both Rashford and Martial scored with little effort against this team that probably is a league 1 team at best. While he with all his effort could have cost us the game if we didnt have options of the bench.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'll give him that he does make good runs. The reality is though he never had the feet to player the striker role in a possesion/passing based team and now that his agility is pretty much gone the reality is he is done at the very top level. The guys 38, hopefully in January he goes.
Yeah I agree with this, it's bumming me out watching him struggle so much :lol: really hope he can break the duct and get going but for now we need Martial to play.

Dominant

We are literally playing with 10 men with him in the team. Offers absolutely nothing.

Golden Nugget

It’s sad watching him play now. I get everyone’s trying to get him his 700th goal and all, but who really cares apart from Ronaldo himself.

Martial comes on and slots one away in minutes - then is moved out wide. Had Martial stayed in the center, it would be likely we would have scored 2-3 more and boost our goal difference.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why are forums so quick to make such definitive statements?
Could easily have scored a few, just one of those games.

Vitro

Why are forums so quick to make such definitive statements?
Could easily have scored a few, just one of those games.
The forum has been making these statements for months. You should know, you’ve been arguing against them the whole time.

Someone

Something
Really feel bad for him. It's hard to tell if it's just his form or if he's done, but at his age it's hard people will always assume it's over.

AaronRedDevil

His mind is fecked. I forgot he lost his kid aswel recently. The positives is that he was able to still find good positions to score. Just one of those nights where nothing goes right. Needs to relax and it'll come back to him, not rush it so much. Thank feck he passed it to Rashford for the 3rd.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
His mind is fecked. I forgot he lost his kid aswel recently. The positives is that he was able to still find good positions to score. Just one of those nights where nothing goes right. Needs to relax and it'll come back to him, not rush it so much. Thank feck he passed it to Rashford for the 3rd.
Think it's generous to claim that as a pass :drool:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Time waits for no man. He's been one of the greats and now he's not even as good as Martial and Rashford.

Should hang up the boots after Qatar. He's finished.

Flexdegea

He looks like what John O'Shea would look like as a striker.

It makes me sick to my stomach that we would be willing to sacrifice a victory just for him to make the scoresheet. Both Rashford and Martial scored with little effort against this team that probably is a league 1 team at best. While he with all his effort could have cost us the game if we didnt have options of the bench.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually spot on this.

He's total done. Don't want to hear anyone moan for him to start a game the rest of the season.

Wish the pundits would stop bringing him up as well.

He's a sub now rest of season.

Going to be positive here and say that was a decent performance by this season's standards - peak Ronaldo (or even 2021/22 Ronaldo) scores four or five in this game, for sure, but he was much sharper in the buildup than he's been lately and at least held on to the ball long enough to get some shots off. We'd have been better off playing with ten men in the last Europa game.

Can definitely see a goal at Old Trafford next Thursday, leading to a mini-revival heading into the World Cup :wenger:.The continued Martial revival will hopefully mean we're just bringing Ronaldo on to close games out in the league.

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He's a sub now rest of season.
Nope. Ole Gunnar Solskjær was a sub when he scored a decisive goal in the Champions League final. Ronaldo is not a sub, he makes no impact when coming in. Ronaldo is a pensioner. Finished. Done.

RVN1991

Wouldn't even cut the mustard in the Cypriot league at his current level.

nakpodiareuben

100% finished as a top level player, 100% finished at our level and I have my doubts he’ll even be able to do anything in the MLS now.

It is what it is. He lasted at the top level much longer than most could ever hope to.

This is harsh... He is lacking confidence and sharpness. He now knows he is not the main guy in attack. If martial had played from the beginning, we would have ended the match before the 60th minute.There are clubs in the PL that he can still play and be the star but not Manchester united.......we have outgrown hom

This is harsh. I think he is losing confidence and for the first time, he knows he is down in the pecking order. He is still a deadly striker of the ball and can still play in some middle PL teams as a superstar....The link up play between martial and Rashfold for the second goal shows us where Ronaldo belongs.... Definitely not part of the first team

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
There were rumors that he had injected his appendage with Botox ... maybe when he runs, it hurts him as it rubs or hits against his muscular thighs.

Dominant

it wasn’t a pass. He scuffed the shot.

Strootman's Finger

I think there is a lot more to this than most people think. Whether or not you like Jordan Peterson, Ronaldo has been seeking his help, so he's clearly struggling with something. Good point about his baby, and everyone that knows Ronaldo said that him being off in the summer for unknown family reasons, was a serious situation.

It's a shame that so many United fans seem to be reveling in his struggles, vs showing concern for a club legend.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It's a shame that so many United fans seem to be reveling in his struggles, vs showing concern for a club legend.
It is not "reveling", but club comes above players. If he cannot play he should have been let go. Playing a player who cannot cut it (reason doesn't matter) or keeping them on bench, when they ae by far highest-paid in the entire league is criminal for the club.

All the sympathy to Ronaldo, it's a horrible tragedy and our heart breaks for him, but it's no reason for him being on squad.

p.s. Also a technicality, but I would rather describe Ronaldo as "a legend who once played for us" and not as "United legend". He is clearly a Real Madrid legend, who played for a number of teams, ourselves included. Again, not a big deal but still something to mention.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Man, Ronaldo was shocking today. It was funny at first seeing him get humbled but this is just depressing now

nakpodiareuben

it wasn’t a pass. He scuffed the shot.
I wanted to say that. It was a shot that Rashy ran into. If Ronaldo was making runs in the box, we would have scored lots of goals because his runs would have created space for the wingers and Bruno to run into . But he was standing and backing the goal. ETH knows he does not fit that is why a Rashy will be leading the line and Ronaldo will be on the bench. He will leave at the end of the season and move to America after the world cup.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think there is a lot more to this than most people think. Whether or not you like Jordan Peterson, Ronaldo has been seeking his help, so he's clearly struggling with something. Good point about his baby, and everyone that knows Ronaldo said that him being off in the summer for unknown family reasons, was a serious situation.

He's old, it's not a mystery.

nakpodiareuben

It is not "reveling", but club comes above players. If he cannot play he should have been let go. Playing a player who cannot cut it (reason doesn't matter) or keeping them on bench, when they ae by far highest-paid in the entire league is criminal for the club.

All the sympathy to Ronaldo, it's a horrible tragedy and our heart breaks for him, but it's no reason for him being on squad.

p.s. Also a technicality, but I would rather describe Ronaldo as "a legend who once played for us" and not as "United legend". He is clearly a Real Madrid legend, who played for a number of teams, ourselves included. Again, not a big deal but still something to mention.
I think he is s Manchester united legend because he was part of the team that won the Champions league in 2008 as well as the treble EPL trophy. He was never my best player in that squad ( scholes, Rooney and Giggs were my best in that order) but he was part of the squad so I will call him a legend for this club. But his best football were in Spain

Deery

Dreary
I think he is s Manchester united legend because he was part of the team that won the Champions league in 2008 as well as the treble EPL trophy. He was never my best player in that squad ( scholes, Rooney and Giggs were my best in that order) but he was part of the squad so I will call him a legend for this club. But his best football were in Spain
He won ballon dor for us?

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
8 shots (Normally you are amongst top five players in all big European leagues if you average 4 shots a game)
1 hit in woodwork
1 assist
7.7 rating Sofa Score (second best on pitch)
7.7 rating Whoscored.com (second best on pitch)

Based on that Ronaldo is finished? Ronaldo sure isn't the future for the club, he hasn't got the pressing game that helps the team and he sure deserves to be on the bench after his summer circus but finished as a striker and a chance creator, seriously? Supporter forums never seize to amaze me. The negativity is the oxygen for the modern day supporter that often have the attention span of a squirrel.
And now the shoal of fish is following Martial and Rashford instead. Well, anyone that takes a look at their player performance threads realizes that their time in the sunshine will end when they have had a couple of bad games since they have been shite for years now (according to this forum, not me I like them both, especially Martial). Like every coach United have had after Ferguson.

If I had a gun pointed to my head and someone said that I had to pick out a United player to score 30+ goals this season from now otherwise I would be shot I would go with Ronaldo without hesitating for a second. And starting games with the three attackers that ended todays game would imho be a very good approach to the next games.

Jericho

8 shots (Normally you are amongst top five players in all big European leagues if you average 4 shots a game)
1 hit in woodwork
1 assist
7.7 rating Sofa Score (second best on pitch)
7.7 rating Whoscored.com (second best on pitch)

Based on that Ronaldo is finished? Ronaldo sure isn't the future for the club, he hasn't got the pressing game that helps the team and he sure deserves to be on the bench after his summer circus but finished as a striker and a chance creator, seriously? Supporter forums never seize to amaze me. The negativity is the oxygen for the modern day supporter that often have the attention span of a squirrel.
And now the shoal of fish is following Martial and Rashford instead. Well, anyone that takes a look at their player performance threads realizes that their time in the sunshine will end when they have had a couple of bad games since they have been shite for years now (according to this forum, not me I like them both, especially Martial). Like every coach United have had after Ferguson.

If I had a gun pointed to my head and someone said that I had to pick out a United player to score 30+ goals this season from now otherwise I would be shot I would go with Ronaldo without hesitating for a second. And starting games with the three attackers that ended todays game would imho be a very good approach to the next games.
Your heads getting blown off either way in that situation.

In the City I'm sure he get a good few goals. But he needs clear cut chances now. The old "all he needs is a sniff of goal" is over.