Gaming Do you use guides

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I remember when I was young in the NES and SNES days, there was no optiom to Google stuff when you got stuck in a game. I remember returning rented games in frustration after getting stuck, or the huge (yuge) sense of accomplishment after finally solving a puzzle. Now, every solution is a quick google search away and honestly, there are times I can't resist the urge. I'm currently playing divinity 2 and I've looked up quite a few solutions simply because I can't be bothered to make wrong choices or miss a stuff.

It does make me feel like a bit of cheat though. I remember finding out you could get the guidebook in FF7 by using Morph on that boat enemy in the underwater base. Made me feel like a fecking genius. I kind of miss that.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I remember when I was young in the NES and SNES days, there was no optiom to Google stuff when you got stuck in a game. I remember returning rented games in frustration after getting stuck, or the huge (yuge) sense of accomplishment after finally solving a puzzle. Now, every solution is a quick google search away and honestly, there are times I can't resist the urge. I'm currently playing divinity 2 and I've looked up quite a few solutions simply because I can't be bothered to make wrong choices or miss a stuff.

It does make me feel like a bit of cheat though. I remember finding out you could get the guidebook in FF7 by using Morph on that boat enemy in the underwater base. Made me feel like a fecking genius. I kind of miss that.
I played through FF7 again not too long ago and used a guide a bit because I wanted to see everything in the game.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I'll look something up, but only if I've tried figuring it out enough on my own that it's starting to affect my enjoyment.

I had to use a guide for quite a few parts of Day of the Tentacle back in the day. I played it for years before getting the internet, and then I was finally able to complete it. Some of the things you had to do in that was so random I don't know how anyone could figure it out by themselves.

Siorac

I google stuff if I'm stuck after trying to figure things out on my own.

Dan

I used to have the official Skyrim guide book, thing was about 1000 pages long. Never bothered to use it.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think a good guide increases the enjoyment of the game. I had the game guide for San Andreas and that helped me find all the things like packages etc or whatever there were.

Honestly, I wish I had a game for the games I play these days. I'd love one for the Witcher 3. I remember I completed RDR (first one) and had no idea campfires were a thing.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think a good guide increases the enjoyment of the game. I had the game guide for San Andreas and that helped me find all the things like packages etc or whatever there were.

Honestly, I wish I had a game for the games I play these days. I'd love one for the Witcher 3. I remember I completed RDR (first one) and had no idea campfires were a thing.
I always watch those "10 things I wish I knew when playing X for the first time videos". Often contain things like the campfire example, agree it makes it better.

Tiber

I will google things when I get stuck. I am currently replaying Mass Effect Andromeda and don't have the foggiest how to do the Sudoku puzzles, never tried one before in my life - guides quickly got them sorted.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I do most of the time. Don't have patience to spend hours to find one collectible or beat one boss. It actually adds to the entertainment in a way because without guides, I would have missed a lot of stuffs

Tiber

The old school complete guides in PS2 era magazines were great. Especially for games like GTA.

I recently picked up a gaming mag in Tesco and was quite interested in seeing if they were still good....until I say it was nearly 7 quid and immediately put it back on the shelf.

fergosaurus

When playing TLOU 2 I googled the safe codes I couldn't be arsed looking for/couldn't find. Those weapons and ammo were too good to lose over my pride.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Yeah, I use a guide for the collectables in Uncharted games and for how best to deal with the final boss in Uncharted 2 on crushing.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I will google things when I get stuck. I am currently replaying Mass Effect Andromeda and don't have the foggiest how to do the Sudoku puzzles, never tried one before in my life - guides quickly got them sorted.
How is Andromeda anyway? Is it worth playing?

Tiber

It launched in a total mess, but they eventually fixed most of the issues. I quite like the story personally, its not ME2, but its still a solid story with some good characters imo. Sadly they cancelled planned story DLC when the launch became a meme. It is more open world than the previous games and does have some busywork, but that can mostly be ignored if open world style games aren't your style.

Im sure you can now pick it up cheap, id give it a go.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
@Bojan11 told me couldn't get through a game without one, he's been known to use an action replay with all his game too. Sad. Pathetic.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Now and again, usually look when I can't find something or progress the quest. Usually turns out I've encountered some bullshit bug.

I also use them if I feel I'm near the end of a game and have stopped enjoying it enough to finish it myself so just use guides to fly through and complete the story.

Years ago, me and my dad loved the tomb raider series on ps1, completed them, then went through with a guide aswell, the guides were fairly interesting too we found, it kept the one not on the controls more engaged with what was going on. Good bonding thing.

A lad at work the other year had this massive book on breaks, turns out it was a Witcher 3 guide, I had a look through and damn it brought back the memories when me and the old man used to play games. I have thought about purchasing it a few times and going through the game that way.

Might give him my PS4 when I get the ps5 so he can try TW3 or the new TRs. Will get him a guide because no way he has the patience to figure it out these days.

Bojan11

@Bojan11 told me couldn't get through a game without one, he's been known to use an action replay with all his game too. Sad. Pathetic.
Maybe someone will guide you to make a decent and funny thread for a change. One that you also update.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Sometimes. Only if it’s a game I want a second playthrough on and I’m looking for achievements I have no clue on how to unlock. Otherwise you spoil the game as you semi know how shit pans out

Ainu

Too many games and not enough time to be stuck on something for too long, so yes, I use guides when I need them. I bought loads of official strategy guides for JRPGs back in the day. I would always use them for that second, "definitive" playthrough.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Guides are nice but I try to use them sparingly. Otherwise, I might as well watch a film. (I know that's exaggerated.) It's nice not to be stuck forever though. I remember getting stuck in Day of the Tentacle and just trying everything in my inventory in every object in the game - until it turned out I could paint the tree so George Washington would chop it down! (Ah, those good old adventure days. :) )

Cloud7

If I'm stuck on something that I can't figure out on my own, then yeah, I'll use a guide. Never felt like cheating to me, just part of the process.

Siorac

It's the sort of game that is good-ish - but there's really nothing in there that you haven't seen before.

The original Mass Effect trilogy was far more creative with alien species. This is set in another fecking galaxy and yet everyone seems to be humanoids of slightly different colours who take the newcomers completely in their stride. It just feels like a massive missed opportunity to explore the meeting of species from different galaxies.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It launched in a total mess, but they eventually fixed most of the issues. I quite like the story personally, its not ME2, but its still a solid story with some good characters imo. Sadly they cancelled planned story DLC when the launch became a meme. It is more open world than the previous games and does have some busywork, but that can mostly be ignored if open world style games aren't your style.

Im sure you can now pick it up cheap, id give it a go.
I'll give it a shot sometime then, thanks.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don’t really play many games but when I played red dead I played it without looking up anything online, I know friends were all over YouTube finding out the best horse or where certain things were but I enjoyed the surprise and figuring things out for myself.

I can see positives in both ways. Like I spent about four days wandering around on a horse looking for a bear where as someone with a guide could run straight there with the right gun and job done.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

You mean you didn’t skip meals and save your lunch money to buy the right issue of EGM or strategy/hidden code book? What a casual.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You mean you didn’t skip meals and save your lunch money to buy the right issue of EGM or strategy/hidden code book? What a casual.
I'm no casual! I've watched angry nerds play Tekken on Youtube for hours, just tog et better!

GazTheLegend

If a games frustrated me for a day or two I Google an answer. It's fun to figure things out for yourself but if it comes at the cost of shelving a game or torturing yourself for months then it's not worth it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It depends. If it's a puzzle game and the point of the game is to solve the puzzle then I'll almost never use a guide. If however I'm stuck behind some bad level design or needlessly obtuse game mechanic then yes quite possibly. I don't have enough time left to waste it trying out every elemental weapon buff on a beasties brow and drawing up a chart to divine which one does the most damage.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Most of the time no but there are some sections in games I do just because I don't have the patience to go searching for it.

BOTW is a good example. I'm sure I could have found all the shrines if I searched for about 50 hours but what's the fecking point, so I looked up the locations of the non obvious ones.

Also for for anything I'd maybe missed in a bit jrpg like a hidden boss etc they're good to have.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I’d like them as collectibles, used to have a few but lost them over the years. Don’t often use guides unless I’m going for the 100%/platinum run and I don’t want to miss out on something that would mean I have to start the game over.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I used to for World of Warcraft. You could work out the most optimal ways to play your character without a guide but who has the time for that and because you play in a group of 20 people you don't want to be slacking!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I played through FF7 again not too long ago and used a guide a bit because I wanted to see everything in the game.
This is on my gaming bucket list, but when I tried to find a physical copy of the guide a few years back the only ones I could locate were extortionate.

b82REZ

I Google things all the time.

It's usually when I'm getting frustrated and I will always try and solve problems myself first.

I play a lot of strategy, roguelikes and survival type games so I usually watch Tips & Tricks videos before I start them because sometimes these types of games don't properly explain all the mechanics or items.

OleBoiii

If I'm stuck for more than 30 minutes and it's fairly obvious that one of the two has happened:

1. Tunnel vision. The solution is obvious, but for some reason I can't see it.
2. Bad game design.

Then I'll google it. It's not worth wasting my time on this. I never feel a sense of accomplishment when solving such problems on my own. I just get mad at myself/the game designer.