Does anyone else really despise Real Madrid?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think I watch them anywhere near enough to 'despise' but they're not very likeable at all.

walkinhop

I dislike all the top 3 in Spain and Bayern. Great players, horrible leagues at the moment. South Americans flood into Spain, Bayern has dips on every German player...it's a stalemate. That's why i watch the EPL and not a single match from the rest of the leagues. Bobshite.

ottosec

I hate them, but I also really hate Barca and Atletico. And Juventus.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
All it took was facing Roma, a weakened Wolfsburg, a pathetic Silva-less City, to face Atletico in the final. Go ahead with an offside goal and winning by penalties. FFS.
Pretty much this. Christ, it really was too easy.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Usually have a lot of respect for them but this win felt a little undeserved based on their season as a whole. Based on the game I thought they were the better team.

stepic

I hate Barca more.

And it's silly to complain about their route to the final. They can't help it can they?

That said I'd have preferred Atletico to have ton, obvs

devil in me

Its more that i despise some of the players than the actual club. Marcelo and Pepe are a fecking embarrassment. Same with Barca.

Erebus

I have never understood this - at one time there was a very good relationshp between the clubs - especially after Munich, which appears to be totally ignored these days. (from The Independent 12th My 1913)

'relations between the clubs, have thawed a little since Jose Mourinho’s arrival in Spain, have a much happier history. Not least in the famous friendship between Santiago Bernabeu, the old Madrid president, whose name was given to the ground United will play in, and Sir Matt Busby 50 years ago.

The story of it is revealed in John Ludden’s book A Tale of Two Cities: Manchester and Madrid 1957-1968 and Ludden told The Independent he was surprised there is some modern animosity between the clubs. “When you look back on the history and you see what Real Madrid did for United after Munich.” he said, “It’s incredible.”

This warmth between Bernabeu and Busby grew out of mutual respect for each other’s teams, and led to some remarkable displays of generosity and charity when United were at their lowest. It grew out of the European Cup semi-final of April 1957, which Madrid won 5-3 on aggregate but were held to a stirring 2-2 draw in the second leg at Old Trafford.

Bernabeu was so impressed by the spirit and quality of United’s young side that he offered Busby a job. The Scot, though, was desperate to win in Europe with United, and said no.

Ten months later, United’s young team was devastated by tragedy. An air crash in Munich, 55 years ago last week, killed eight players, three staff and 10 others. They had just won a European Cup quarter-final. The dream of Busby’s side conquering Europe looked over.

United lost their semi-final to Milan three months after the crash but Milan were beaten 3-2 by Real Madrid in the final. Bernabeu, dedicated the win to his fallen friends from Manchester and even offered United the trophy, though it was turned down.

If that offer was purely symbolic there were material pledges too, most significantly the offer to loan United the world’s finest footballer, Alfredo di Stefano, “the Blond Arrow”, for the 1958-59 season. “Bernabeu went to see Di Stefano about this,” Ludden said. “He was willing to go until the end of the season, United paying half his wages and Madrid the other half. But the Football Association blocked it as he would be taking the place of a potential British player.”

So Madrid helped in different ways. They made a memorial pennant with the names of the Munich dead, called “Champions of Honour”, which was sold in Spain to raise money for United. There were offers to the injured and bereaved to recuperate at Madrid’s luxurious facilities in Spain at no cost.

There was also a series of fund-raising friendlies between the two teams. As well as the human and sporting cost, the Munich disaster had hit United’s finances. Real Madrid usually charged £12,000 for such games, but Bernabeu told United “pay what you can afford”.

These games were not just fund-raisers, though. “United could not even dream of Europe, it was more a case of staying up [in the First Division],” said Ludden. “So Busby’s idea was to keep the idea of Europe alive for the fans and players. It gave the players a level – of Ferenc Puskas and Di Stefano – they had to get to if United were to get back in Europe.”

In October 1959 Madrid won the first friendly 6-1 in front of 63,000 at Old Trafford, with Di Stefano, Puskas and Francisco Gento outstanding.

Madrid won the re-match the following month 6-5, a remarkable game watched by 80,000 entranced fans, who applauded both teams off. That evening Madrid organised a fund-raising banquet for the bereaved families of Munich in which Bernabeu said Busby was “not only the bravest, but the greatest man I have ever met in football”.

For the next friendly, in October 1960, Puskas and Di Stefano were injury doubts. Bernabeu asked Busby if he wanted to postpone the game but United’s manager insisted, saying that Madrid “had become like family”. Puskas and Di Stefano were so impressed they played anyway and helped produce another classic, which Madrid won 3-2.

United were getting closer and in the next friendly in December 1961 they beat Madrid 3-1, and the following September won 2-0 in the Bernabeu. United won the FA Cup that season, the first trophy after Munich, and the title followed before the European Cup in 1968, United overcoming Madrid in the semi-finals on their way to the prize Busby had driven his rebuilt team towards for 10 years.

“If it had to be anyone, then I am glad it was them,” said a gracious Bernabeu afterwards. He had played his own part in their resurrection.'

Raw

Would complain about their route to the final but ours in 2010/11 was much easier. Marseille, Chelsea and Schalke ffs :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Second time in three years they undeservedly won against their city rivals. Don't even get me starting on fecking Ronaldo.

Yeah, I hate them.

Tyrion

Obviously. When you have Ronaldo, Marcelo and Pepe, you're asking to be hated. Aside from adding a few actual criminals or Joey Barton, there's not much more they could do to be hated.

Tyrion

Would complain about their route to the final but ours in 2010/11 was much easier. Marseille, Chelsea and Schalke ffs :lol:
At least we got torn to bits in the final (deservedly). Imagine if we won that year. :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not really no. I'd rather any other Spanish side over them though, but they'd be a strong 31st on my favourite European teams list.

SteveW

I have never understood this - at one time there was a very good relationshp between the clubs - especially after Munich, which appears to be totally ignored these days. (from The Independent 12th My 1913)

'relations between the clubs, have thawed a little since Jose Mourinho’s arrival in Spain, have a much happier history. Not least in the famous friendship between Santiago Bernabeu, the old Madrid president, whose name was given to the ground United will play in, and Sir Matt Busby 50 years ago.

The story of it is revealed in John Ludden’s book A Tale of Two Cities: Manchester and Madrid 1957-1968 and Ludden told The Independent he was surprised there is some modern animosity between the clubs. “When you look back on the history and you see what Real Madrid did for United after Munich.” he said, “It’s incredible.”

This warmth between Bernabeu and Busby grew out of mutual respect for each other’s teams, and led to some remarkable displays of generosity and charity when United were at their lowest. It grew out of the European Cup semi-final of April 1957, which Madrid won 5-3 on aggregate but were held to a stirring 2-2 draw in the second leg at Old Trafford.

Bernabeu was so impressed by the spirit and quality of United’s young side that he offered Busby a job. The Scot, though, was desperate to win in Europe with United, and said no.

Ten months later, United’s young team was devastated by tragedy. An air crash in Munich, 55 years ago last week, killed eight players, three staff and 10 others. They had just won a European Cup quarter-final. The dream of Busby’s side conquering Europe looked over.

United lost their semi-final to Milan three months after the crash but Milan were beaten 3-2 by Real Madrid in the final. Bernabeu, dedicated the win to his fallen friends from Manchester and even offered United the trophy, though it was turned down.

If that offer was purely symbolic there were material pledges too, most significantly the offer to loan United the world’s finest footballer, Alfredo di Stefano, “the Blond Arrow”, for the 1958-59 season. “Bernabeu went to see Di Stefano about this,” Ludden said. “He was willing to go until the end of the season, United paying half his wages and Madrid the other half. But the Football Association blocked it as he would be taking the place of a potential British player.”

So Madrid helped in different ways. They made a memorial pennant with the names of the Munich dead, called “Champions of Honour”, which was sold in Spain to raise money for United. There were offers to the injured and bereaved to recuperate at Madrid’s luxurious facilities in Spain at no cost.

There was also a series of fund-raising friendlies between the two teams. As well as the human and sporting cost, the Munich disaster had hit United’s finances. Real Madrid usually charged £12,000 for such games, but Bernabeu told United “pay what you can afford”.

These games were not just fund-raisers, though. “United could not even dream of Europe, it was more a case of staying up [in the First Division],” said Ludden. “So Busby’s idea was to keep the idea of Europe alive for the fans and players. It gave the players a level – of Ferenc Puskas and Di Stefano – they had to get to if United were to get back in Europe.”

In October 1959 Madrid won the first friendly 6-1 in front of 63,000 at Old Trafford, with Di Stefano, Puskas and Francisco Gento outstanding.

Madrid won the re-match the following month 6-5, a remarkable game watched by 80,000 entranced fans, who applauded both teams off. That evening Madrid organised a fund-raising banquet for the bereaved families of Munich in which Bernabeu said Busby was “not only the bravest, but the greatest man I have ever met in football”.

For the next friendly, in October 1960, Puskas and Di Stefano were injury doubts. Bernabeu asked Busby if he wanted to postpone the game but United’s manager insisted, saying that Madrid “had become like family”. Puskas and Di Stefano were so impressed they played anyway and helped produce another classic, which Madrid won 3-2.

United were getting closer and in the next friendly in December 1961 they beat Madrid 3-1, and the following September won 2-0 in the Bernabeu. United won the FA Cup that season, the first trophy after Munich, and the title followed before the European Cup in 1968, United overcoming Madrid in the semi-finals on their way to the prize Busby had driven his rebuilt team towards for 10 years.

“If it had to be anyone, then I am glad it was them,” said a gracious Bernabeu afterwards. He had played his own part in their resurrection.'
This is all common knowledge. The clubs having good relationship a half century ago isn't that relevant imo. It was a long long time ago. The current crowd in charge are nothing like those you speak of from the 50's and 60's.

Personally I started to disliked them when they started taking our players every second Summer. The whole galactico thing always rubbed me up the wrong way. I find them arrogant. A few of their players are detestable. They've run their club horribly for years and always been able to spend their way to success regardless. They are an easy club to dislike.

Minimalist

I never mind them when they're actually a good side. This team despite their amazing talent are so dull to watch it's painful.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Yes I cant stand them.

If there is any club that deserves to go on a 20 year trophy draught it is them.

The way they treat their managers, their ridiculous galatico transfer policy. They are a complete and utter circus of a club. Also Real never looks like a team but a bunch of squabeling individuals with too much money. There is nothing to love about that team.

The only reason they get any success is because for reason every player on earth dreams about playing for them as a kid which is disgusting. I still dont understand for example why Ronaldo left us at that time when we were a much better club with more success. But it is that kind of thing that keeps them up and it is the only thing which is disgusting.

When has anything great ever come from that club. The onlu thing they ever do is buy great players from other clubs and hire success managers from other clubs which they then sack after they dont want to be brainless pupets in the perez show.

Ainu

I can't help but feel a lot of sympathy for the Atletico fans. It must've been a traumatic night for them. Real just won their fecking 11th European Cup after already beating them 2 years ago and Atletico still haven't managed a single one. And Atletico absolutely battered them in the second half, that just makes it worse. They must feel sick.

Sylar

Imagine if they had the mentality that they dont want to be known as a sacking club. They probably wouldnt have won the CL this year and still be stuck with Rafa.

Castia

So much talent but also such a boring side to watch. That being said 2 Champions Leagues in 3 years is a great achievement.

ravi2

I dont hate real as a club but their politics stinks.
I feel bad for athletico, was hoping for them to win today

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Can someone remind me of the last time a major tournament was won by an unworthy team? I mean from Nacho's cross-goal against PSG to tonight, was there a more flukey one?

Erebus

This is all common knowledge. The clubs having good relationship a half century ago isn't that relevant imo. It was a long long time ago. The current crowd in charge are nothing like those you speak of from the 50's and 60's.

Personally I started to disliked them when they started taking our players every second Summer. The whole galactico thing always rubbed me up the wrong way. I find them arrogant. A few of their players are detestable. They've run their club horribly for years and always been able to spend their way to success regardless. They are an easy club to dislike.
Many of those points are levelled against us by other teams to be honest. However that's not my point - the fact is that at the time when we nearly went out of business ( the board were seriously talking about closing the club down), they did more for us than almost anyone - even in England (apart from Bishop Auckland).

Eddy_JukeZ

They still had to beat Barcelona on a two legged game and Bayern at theirs. I mean Real didn't face a decent team up till the final.
Got horribly outplayed vs Barcelona in both legs and in the final.

I always chuckle when people say Chelsea defended well in those games. They were incredibly lucky to not concede more than they did.

They played better opponents, but they look outmatched clearly and it was pure luck they won the final.