Does Ole have it in him to drop De Gea for the last 2 PL games?

simplyared

It would be a huge mistake to replace De Gea now. Ole is not going to do that. No chance! He doesn't deserve to be dropped either. He still makes some incredible saves which no other keeper in the PL can match. He'll still have Ole's backing and for what it's worth mine too.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The right choice. It's up to De Gea now. I don't want to hear a single "Should have gone with Romero" wisdom-Billy if De Gea fumbles one in.

PoTMS

Still not sure about the decision to keep him in. I would've probably dropped him but with two games of the season left, it's a difficult one. His clangers last season cost us against Barcelona in the Champions League and also cost us a top 4 spot. If he does the same again in the next few weeks, it's Ole's head on the chopping board. He's at best the 5th or 6th best keeper in the league now and we need to move him on if we can.

red4ever 79

It would have been insane to drop him now.
Pretty much this. That's not to say Ole wont make changes for next season. Saying that I feel sorry for Romero aswell, he usually gets the nod for the cup games and missed out on Sunday, plus other players usually get a chance when the person they are competing with doesnt perform.

Devil81

If I was Romero I'd hand in a transfer request in the morning, what on earth does he have to do to get a start?

I've never known such a poor performing keeper still hold his place in the team for so long. If Romero was crap I'd understand but he's a brilliant keeper.

CG1010

The right choice. It's up to De Gea now. I don't want to hear a single "Should have gone with Romero" wisdom-Billy if De Gea fumbles one in.
Why not? For the record I was in favour of dropping De Gea just to send out a message that no one would be allowed to get away with poor performances. Ole obviously has better info to make the call but if De Gea costs us more points then questions will be asked of the manager too.

izec

what a ridiculous statement. If De Gea drops a clanger, they both shouldn't be here next season. Of course Romero would deserve to start. Starting De Gea is actually madness and a massive gamble

If I was Romero I'd hand in a transfer request in the morning, what on earth does he have to do to get a start?

I've never known such a poor performing keeper still hold his place in the team for so long. If Romero was crap I'd understand but he's a brilliant keeper.
Romero is not brilliant. He’s an excellent no 2, who has been at Utd for 5 years and is clearly happy with his role.

It’s the right thing to do to stick with DDG in this match, and reassess at the end of the season.

Devil81

Romero is not brilliant. He’s an excellent no 2, who has been at Utd for 5 years and is clearly happy with his role.

It’s the right thing to do to stick with DDG in this match, and reassess at the end of the season.
He's more than good enough to get us through these last few games.

It's all about opinions but I think he should have been dropped, not only because of his poor performances but because of his state of mind. Bad call, in my opinion, the second goal on Sunday was when his credits for his past performances run out I'm afraid.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why not? For the record I was in favour of dropping De Gea just to send out a message that no one would be allowed to get away with poor performances. Ole obviously has better info to make the call but if De Gea costs us more points then questions will be asked of the manager too.
If it’s a case of “sending a message” he should have subbed him when we went 3-0 down against Chelsea, it was game over anyway and message would have been sent loud and clear.

RyRy11

All this thread tells me is that a lot of people on here overrate Romero’s ability.

Mainoldo

De Gea is going to repay us for that broken fax machine. Why isn’t he dropped.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A lot of people on here really don't understand management, do they? Not even talking about football management, but basic man management.

crossy1686

career ending
A lot of people on here really don't understand management, do they? Not even talking about football management, but basic man management.
Tried to express this myself when decisions have been made but it appears a lot of our fellow members have very little management experience.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I love Ole but if DDG makes another mistake tonight resulting in us not winning, then it's on Ole if we miss out on a CL spot.

I feel for Romero, what does DDG have to do for him to get a chance??

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Tried to express this myself when decisions have been made but it appears a lot of our fellow members have very little management experience.
Agreed people make mistakes I worry about the childhoods of some posters with the attitudes they have to anything less than perfection

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I can see both sides here. The timing wouldn't be ideal, dropping him for the last two games. That said, what if he makes another series of errors costing us CL qualification?

Tel074

You're really intent on missing the point. I can't make it any clearer. They can play the percentages and the odds on him spilling or having shots go through him are not going to be out of this world, which is why it's such a test for him.

He's already dire on corners and our backline compound that with their own flapping.

If he does start and makes no errors then that's excellent. If he's as nervous as he has been and costs us, it cannot be seen as a shock by anyone.
You are exaggerating this though that's why I'm deliberately "missing the point "

There’s clearly a correlation between age and management experience on here.

Teach him a lesson, send him a message. Sub him off at Chelsea, send him on holiday. All completely ridiculous. With time and experience, these people will start to understand how to deal with people.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
There’s a few in that XI who need dropping, never mind singling out De Gea. Win a few games and the egos are back out in full swing again. Absolute divs, I swear.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
That’s the case with every single penalty
A penalty is absolutely not a guaranteed goal. Players will score more often than not, but keepers are expected to make saves once in a while. De Gea's penalty record is abysmal.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
what a ridiculous statement. If De Gea drops a clanger, they both shouldn't be here next season. Of course Romero would deserve to start. Starting De Gea is actually madness and a massive gamble
Casually forgetting the goal Romero allowed against Norwich in his most recent start then. Romero isn't infallable. His most recent game showed that.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
It doesn't really work like that in my opinion.

He saved us in those years because he overperformed, as in his performances helped cover up a shambolic defense in that time period.

De Gea is currently saving the expected amount of saves for an average keeper, but for what we expect from a keeper like De Gea we call that underperforming. Still, I would say it's harsh to say he's the one costing us if he's putting in an average performance.

Rarely can one part of the team be highlighted to be costing us when it's a collective lack of effort.
What if the defense performed out of their mind and barely let an attacker through? Then the defense would be saving us. Or if our attackers scored a crazy amount of goals each match so that it didn't matter what happened at the back, then our attackers would be saving us.

We need to up our game across the board to be able to challenge. We can't be a team that only does well when our keeper is outperforming expectations.
If this absolute shambles of a season from De Gea still isn't enough to make people see how overrated he is then nothing will.

I'm done arguing about it.