Does Rooney deserve a statue?

Reynoldo

Yes but give it 20 years so we can forget about what a turd he is and remember the footballer.
I think this is the key really. Let him finish his career, retire and then give it a decade or two and build it then through red tinted glasses.

pacifictheme

Nope.

He's a great record holder, but he's not a man of the people or a fan favorite. I haven't seen him stop for the fans outside OT once.

Personally I want him to leave asap and have that be the very last we hear of him
I would say in his time hes been more of a fan favourite than just about any other player. Didn't he used to get the most shirts bought worldwide?

Try not to judge him on the past two seasons.

Has also raised a lot of money for charity, so man of the people he is.

Think your personal opinion is stopping you being objective...

Do not think he needs a statue though.

SidRed

I would say he deserves it as much as Giggs if he didn't have that transfer saga in between.

On a side note - his achievement is incredible but I didn't know Ian Rush had 346 goals for Liverpool :eek:. That's 100 or so more than Wayne!
But Rooney did play in mid for many games, which I doubt Rush did, so not really fair to compare.

Castia

Listen mate it's a myth created by newspaper headlines that Ferguson would have sold him. He said at the time while he was still in the job:

"He'll be here next year. You can have my word on that."

And then when he made it public that he had asked to leave.

"We are not going to let him go."

In my opinion those are not the quotes of a man looking to sell a player.

We once told Madrid we wouldn't sell them a virus concerning Ronaldo too. Whatever anyways we will never know will we but my gut tells me 2 transfers requests under SAF and you aint playing for United much longer.

m1y2

He's the best clubs's goalscorer so I am sure whoever achieve this should deserve one but let him retire first and then wait until he's in his early 50s so none of us remember his cnutish behaviour about his two transfer requests, info leaks and his abysmal finish to his last few years of his career...

stevoc

What Ferguson says to the press and the truth are two different things.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/263122/ferguson-beckham-not-for-sale

Guess what happened that summer..

That was during the season though mate, you don't say yes Beckham is for sale and cause unrest, distraction and drive his price down.

Ferguson said after he announced to the world that Rooney wanted to leave that we (Ferguson and the club) are not going to let him go. And they didn't, simple as that really.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Do other clubs have statues of their leading scorers outside their grounds? I haven't paid much attention to what others do regarding statues.

stevoc

We once told Madrid we wouldn't sell them a virus concerning Ronaldo too. Whatever anyways we will never know will we but my gut tells me 2 transfers requests under SAF and you aint playing for United much longer.
Well fair enough mate i don't think he would have sold him, it seemed strange to me for Ferguson to make it public if he wanted him sold as he was retiring.

Also Ferguson and Rooney both confirmed he never actually put a transfer request in the 2nd time. He just asked to leave during an argument.

Client6

Would be happy for him if he gets one but won't lose sleep if he doesn't. Great achievement though, don't see anyone break it any time in near future.

Did he really put in the second request though? Is there any real evidence apart from Ferguson saying 'he handed in a transfer request', something which Rooney denied later amidst keeping absolutely shut and not saying a word to the press? Also didn't Rooney come out and apologise for the "first" request to the fans, the club, he manager and the squad and admitted his mistake in a TV interview? For all the hatred for his egotistical self, why is the apology overlooked by so many here? The vitriol here for him is unreal.

Minimalist

I'd be surprised if he got one before Giggs.

Eventually? Why not. He's not my cup of tea personally but the record is what it is and deserves respect.

The real question is this...

Hair or no hair for the statue? I mean he was at his peak and ultimate best as a ripped, powerful, baldy bastard so is that not the man we should remember?

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

If his goal scoring record was actually something truly special, then sure. But it isn't. Charlton's record of 249 goals in 758 games wasn't spectacular; any striker that stayed with us for a decade was always going to have a good chance of beating it. I'd prefer to keep statues for the absolute pinnacle of our historical achievements. If we ever have our own Messi scoring 400+ goals then give him a statue.

stevoc

Do other clubs have statues of their leading scorers outside their grounds? I haven't paid much attention to what others do regarding statues.
Yeah Newcastle have a Shearer statue, Arsenal Henry, Bolton Lofthouse, Everton Dixie Dean and i think Wolves have a Bull statue might be others.

So it seems to be a thing, in that case i think it would be fair enough for Rooney to get one eventually if the club wants to.

Dave1812

I think if you did then you would surely have to do 1 for Ryan Giggs as well.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Giggs first and then Rooney if we're in statute building mode.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Hamburg has Uwe Seeler's (probably my favorite football statue :lol:)

Skåre Willoch

I want a statue of THAT goal against City. Also, as the clubs leading goal scorer i think he deserves it. So does Giggsy.

stevoc

If his goal scoring record was actually something truly special, then sure. But it isn't. Charlton's record of 249 goals in 758 games wasn't spectacular
For any player who isn't a centre forward let alone a midfielder to average 1 goal every 3 games for the best part of 20 years is excellent.

any striker that stayed with us for a decade was always going to have a good chance of beating it. I'd prefer to keep statues for the absolute pinnacle of our historical achievements. If we ever have our own Messi scoring 400+ goals then give him a statue.
I doubt just any striker would have broken it simply by playing for United for 10 years. Cole was here for 7-8 years, Hughes for 8-9 and both never came close. Even Van Nistelrooy who averaged 25 goals a season, had he signed earlier and stayed for ten years he would have just broken it had he continued that scoring rate.

dichinero

Do Gks get statues for most clean sheets too? How about most assists?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It's a fantastic achievement being the record goal scorer but the answer is no. Got to be more to it than that to get a statue imho.
Besides Jimmy Murphy and Sir Matt don't have one, so it's a little hard to imagine Rooney getting one over those two great men..

stevoc

It's a fantastic achievement being the record goal scorer but the answer is no. Got to be more to it than that to get a statue imho.
Besides Jimmy Murphy and Sir Matt don't have one, so it's a little hard to imagine Rooney getting one over those two great men..
When was the last time you were at Old Trafford mate?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, he lacks that legendary touch, a fancy plaque will be enough.

Ixion

If we built statues regularly then yeah but if you say the names Busby, Law, Charlton, Best, Ferguson...is Rooney the one you immediately think of next?

SteveJ

Scout
Yeah Newcastle have a Shearer statue, Arsenal Henry, Bolton Lofthouse, Everton Dixie Dean and i think Wolves have a Bull statue might be others.

So it seems to be a thing, in that case i think it would be fair enough for Rooney to get one eventually if the club wants to.
Thanks. :)

stevoc

If we built statues regularly then yeah but if you say the names Busby, Law, Charlton, Best, Ferguson...is Rooney the one you immediately think of next?
No thats why it won't happen for years if it ever does. Theres a few who should be getting one before him anyway. Would love it if Eric got a statue.

No worries mate.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Dunno, statues (Di Stéfano for Madrid, Eusébio for Benfica) or shirt retirements (Baresi/Maldini for Milan, Maradona for Napoli) are usually reserved for the ultimate legends of a club - players who were larger than life, evoked unparalleled emotions and were without a doubt, THE or one of the very biggest legends of the club. You could argue that the hexad of Cantona (influence over half a decade), Giggs (encompassing most of the Fergie era), Scholes, Edwards (has one in Dudley), Keane and Robson were/are unquestionably bigger legends for what they represented at United (again, in terms of the emotions they evoked), and more deserving of a statue before Wayne - statistical achievement aside. And if you have that many statues, the whole symbolism thing loses a bit of value.

Ixion

No thats why it won't happen for years if it ever does. Theres a few who should be getting one before him anyway. Would love it if Eric got a statue.
If anyone from the Ferguson years gets a statue it will be Cantona or Giggs.

SteveJ

Scout
I demand a garden gnome of me after all I've done for the Caf!*

*Made rubbish threads that no-one replies to.
*Caption contests with crap photos.
*That's about it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Dunno, statues (Di Stéfano for Madrid, Eusébio for Benfica) or shirt retirements (Baresi/Maldini for Milan, Maradona for Napoli) are usually reserved for the ultimate legends of a club - players who were larger than life, evoked unparalleled emotions and were without a doubt, THE or one of the very biggest legends of the club. You could argue that the hexad of Cantona (influence over half a decade), Giggs (encompassing most of the Fergie era), Scholes, Edwards (has one in Dudley), Keane and Robson were/are unquestionably bigger legends for what they represented at United (again, in terms of the emotions they evoked), and more deserving of a statue before Wayne - statistical achievement aside.
I was going to add something like that. You don't get a statue because of your statistic but because you are iconic.

So the question is not, "does Rooney deserve a statue?" but "Is Rooney an iconic figure?".

Dobbs

Listen mate it's a myth created by newspaper headlines that Ferguson would have sold him. He said at the time while he was still in the job:

Nothing to do with the media. It comes from watching SAF manage players over the years and what he's written in his books.

He says over and over that the manager is No.1, that authority can't be challenged. Soon as it is he takes action.

So when he starts to drop a big player in big games, has a public spat and questions that player fitness (he didn't think Rooney could finish games) there's only one ending.

Ixion

"You don't think we'd get into a contract with that mob? I wouldn't sell them a virus'

unitedforeveral

Players who make a mark on the club and the fans will always live in our memories for what they have given us over the years. Wayne Rooney has done numerous such things and has given Manchester United so many titles and trophies across 13 years of his presence for the club. The man has dedicated his life for the fans of this club. We have seen his decline but no one should have a single doubt about his abilities and passion. Of course through time he has mellowed down but his intellect is above many in the league and across the world. Messi, Henry and Zlatan have showered praise in his direction, identifying the dedication towards the club. He still makes a massive difference to our squad and can do so more if given the chance.

Like everyone says, we will only understand his importance when he's gone and that's something inevitable.
Statue is not a must but i hope the Rooney chants are heard for much longer.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maybe a bit derailed off the topic, but regarding "SAF would have sold Rooney if he stayed" story is not just myth, it's complete a joke. Those who kept on saying "Fergie didn't always meant what he said" brigade seems have no problem with the 2nd 'transfer request' story though (even when Rooney himself denied this). So at the end of the day you just want to believe things which suit your motive.

Regardless what happened, he stayed, and he is still here. If he did leave 3 or even 7 years ago you can have a dig at him for actually leaving. But he didn't, so I don't really see the problem. People here seems really ok when they want to get rid players for the sake of United. How does it wrong for them players to 'negotiate' contract for the sake of themselves?

Back to the topic, I'm not that bothered, if he get a statue good for him (club?). If not, no problem whatsoever to anyone or any parties.