Does Rooney deserve a statue?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Record holders don't get statues, they have the record to their name.

And you don't build statues for record holders because you hope to break it again, the sooner the better.
There's a very good chance his record will never be broken, considering how long it took to break Sir Bobby's and how far anyone else is off from breaking it right now.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
A statue is a big question. I'm not sure he's there yet. His career has been nothing but amazing and the record is THE record no matter how you put it.

It's a really tough one. I'm not sure Giggs deserves a statue to be honest. SAF was simple.

I do believe he should be on a picture among the really big names we've had tough. Cantona, Ronaldo, Charlton, Rooney, Giggs, etc etc.

Virgil

As a Utd legend yes he does but then by that token so would (in no particular order) Keane, Cantona, Robson, Giggs, Beckham, Edwards etc. Its not by chance that we have the Holy Trinity outside OT. Of all the players to wear the clubs colours Charlton, Law and Best really were special. Its not only that the three of them were wonderful footballers. What cannot be forgotten or ignored is the 'time' and 'circumstances' of the age.

I suppose there are not many of us on this board that actually were honoured enough to see them play at the height of their powers. To think only 5 years after the devastation of Munich we were marching out at Wembley against Leicester for the FA cup. Busby miraculously and Charlton having survived that crash and with a 23 year old Scottish midget (in todays terms) of a centre forward called Law who we had bought for the incredible sum of £100,000 IIRC from Turin. The following year this good looking Best lad from Belfast broke into the first eleven. Bloody heck what he could do with a football and at pace as well. Forward to 64/65 and we were again league champions. Who could possibly have dreamed it. In fact it was a dream. 7 years after the death of what could have been one of the best teams the world had ever seen and we were back on top. OK maybe not of the world but certainly on top of English football. And at the heart of that side.....Best, Law and Charlton. To top it all Law came away with the Ballon dOr in 64. In 66 Charlton helped England lift the World Cup and won the Ballon dOr himself. 66/67 and again we were champions of England with the three of them at the heart of the side.

Then who could forget Wembley 29th May 68 when Busby lifted the European Cup. 10 years after being the first English side ever to venture into Europe. The memories that flooded back for us fans. God knows how bitter sweet it must have been for Busby, Charlton and some of the other survivors let alone the relatives of those that died. Then Best went and lifted the 68 Ballon d'Or.

To think as well that there have only been 6 British winners of the Ballon dOr. The others being Stanley Matthews, Kevin Keegan (twice) and Michael Owen. With our three coming along at the same time what are the odds of that ever happening again. Amazing, truly amazing.

So that holy trinity statue is very very special and whilst players will come and go at OT who will undoubtedly light it up during their tenure long may the three it honours stand apart.

All of course IMHO.

Reactions: SteveJ

Born2Lose

As a Utd legend yes he does but then by that token so would (in no particular order) Keane, Cantona, Robson, Giggs, Beckham, Edwards etc. Its not by chance that we have the Holy Trinity outside OT. Of all the players to wear the clubs colours Charlton, Law and Best really were special. Its not only that the three of them were wonderful footballers. What cannot be forgotten or ignored is the 'time' and 'circumstances' of the age.

I suppose there are not many of us on this board that actually were honoured enough to see them play at the height of their powers. To think only 5 years after the devastation of Munich we were marching out at Wembley against Leicester for the FA cup. Busby miraculously and Charlton having survived that crash and with a 23 year old Scottish midget (in todays terms) of a centre forward called Law who we had bought for the incredible sum of £100,000 IIRC from Turin. The following year this good looking Best lad from Belfast broke into the first eleven. Bloody heck what he could do with a football and at pace as well. Forward to 64/65 and we were again league champions. Who could possibly have dreamed it. In fact it was a dream. 7 years after the death of what could have been one of the best teams the world had ever seen and we were back on top. OK maybe not of the world but certainly on top of English football. And at the heart of that side.....Best, Law and Charlton. To top it all Law came away with the Ballon dOr in 64. In 66 Charlton helped England lift the World Cup and won the Ballon dOr himself. 66/67 and again we were champions of England with the three of them at the heart of the side.

Then who could forget Wembley 29th May 68 when Busby lifted the European Cup. 10 years after being the first English side ever to venture into Europe. The memories that flooded back for us fans. God knows how bitter sweet it must have been for Busby, Charlton and some of the other survivors let alone the relatives of those that died. Then Best went and lifted the 68 Ballon d'Or.

To think as well that there have only been 6 British winners of the Ballon dOr. The others being Stanley Matthews, Kevin Keegan (twice) and Michael Owen. With our three coming along at the same time what are the odds of that ever happening again. Amazing, truly amazing.

So that holy trinity statue is very very special and whilst players will come and go at OT who will undoubtedly light it up during their tenure long may the three it honours stand apart.

All of course IMHO.
Great post! My view is that any more statues would dilute the importance of the ones already standing.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I don't think so, there are a lot of prerequisites for something that big and I don't think he's nearly the most deserving.

FujiVice

Eric Cantona should get a statue outside Old Trafford. Cant stress how popular he was/is with those who were around for the spark he lit at Old Trafford. And to the players who played with him as well as the manager. Very rare that fans, your fellow players and the manager bows down and pretty much calls you the man, like they did with Eric.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
There's a very good chance his record will never be broken, considering how long it took to break Sir Bobby's and how far anyone else is off from breaking it right now.
True, but it's a matter of principle as far as I'm concerned. Records are there to be broken. Rashford should be aspiring to break it, for example.

stevoc

Nothing to do with the media. It comes from watching SAF manage players over the years and what he's written in his books.

He says over and over that the manager is No.1, that authority can't be challenged. Soon as it is he takes action.

So when he starts to drop a big player in big games, has a public spat and questions that player fitness (he didn't think Rooney could finish games) there's only one ending.
Thats all speculation though mate, it's fine to hold an opinion based on that but you can't say for definite that Ferguson would have sold him.

Besides he was back in the team by the end of the season mate and the exact same process happened the first time around, he was dropped, public spat over his fitness, Ferguson makes it public he wants to leave, Rooney signs a new contract.

"You don't think we'd get into a contract with that mob? I wouldn't sell them a virus'
He sold them Heinze and Van Nistelrooy the year before. Plus i always thought he was talking about the 'mob' that were currently running it Calderon etc. as he was unhappy with the way they tapped Ronaldo up. Also he no doubt knew at the time he was going to sell Ronaldo to them.

Anyway i'm off topic so i'll leave it there.

stevoc

If anyone from the Ferguson years gets a statue it will be Cantona or Giggs.
Definitely mate but i have a feeling we won't be seeing anymore statues going up anytime soon. Not until they sort out what they want to do to the stadium, expansion, new roof, reskinning etc.

R.E.D.

When Giggs and Scholes and Nev and Keane don`t have one then no, he doesn`t deserve it. But if we build another stadium and like Arsenal make a statue for every legend we had then yeah, he totally deserves it.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
5 years after he retires and we remember Wayne Rooney, the player and not the one who handed in transfer requests and had a rough decline, everyone will be petitioning to get his statue outside OT.
I think- he, Scholes and Giggs will get a statue in near future

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I think his two attempts to leave the club in order to extract more money from us exclude him from having one. A statue belongs to a true fan favourite and he, whilst seen as a legend, just doesn't rank high enough.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yes but give it 20 years so we can forget about what a turd he is and remember the footballer.
This. Wait until most of us here grows old. Old people tend to remember only good things about the past.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
No Statues for anyone. Statues are nothing but toilets for pigeons. With pigeons come rats. With rats comes the plague. It all starts with statues...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dunno, statues (Di Stéfano for Madrid, Eusébio for Benfica) or shirt retirements (Baresi/Maldini for Milan, Maradona for Napoli) are usually reserved for the ultimate legends of a club - players who were larger than life, evoked unparalleled emotions and were without a doubt, THE or one of the very biggest legends of the club. You could argue that the hexad of Cantona (influence over half a decade), Giggs (encompassing most of the Fergie era), Scholes, Edwards (has one in Dudley), Keane and Robson were/are unquestionably bigger legends for what they represented at United (again, in terms of the emotions they evoked), and more deserving of a statue before Wayne - statistical achievement aside. And if you have that many statues, the whole symbolism thing loses a bit of value.
Yeh. This is my ultimate view of a "legend". Football isn't just a statistical number, but encompass much greater emotional values. Otherwise, every football fans would support Barcelona in Pep's era.

Dion

Considering Sir Bobby, Law and Best only got one together I don't think so. Maybe if a few of the '08 team has stuck together longer and earned one possibly, but not on his own.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Does statue deserve a Rooney?

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
But if someone beats Rooney's record then why do we have a statue for him? Do we take it down again?

He's a club legend and will be forever remembered. But not worthy of a statue.

Stacks

All of course IMHO.
Giggs, Becks, Scholes who came through the youths won far more titles and made United a global behemoth after some what 20 odd years in the wilderness. Scholes and Giggs lasted a few generations and were part of 2 CL winning teams. I don't feel winning the Ballon D'or comes into it. These 3 lads were academy products, 2 of whom stayed their entire careers and will come back at some point. Giggs and Scholes could easily get statues. In 30 years time they probably will as they helped bring United back from Liverpool dominance. Its all about timing. In the future, people will be less fixated on the holy trinity and more on the class of 92. Rooney will also become more fondly remembered