Dominion v. Fox News (& Smartmatic soon & Newsmax later)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And they won't have much incentives to settle in these cases considering that it'd be ridiculous consdering what they got from fox.

Fox probably had a lot of nasty stuffs to hide to pay close to 800M to settle this case...
Incorrect.

As Yashar says, this is just business.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Incorrect.

As Yashar says, this is just business.
I don't see how it makes my statement incorrect. Settling for 780M is better than having your day in court to prove your company is trustworthy and did nothing wrong. That's not the case if we're talking about a 2M settlement or something. Fiduciary obligatons doesn't mean they have to settle every case if said settlement is worth less than the PR they'll get. That wasn't the case for the fox trial.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't see how it makes my statement incorrect. Settling for 780M is better than having your day in court to prove your company is trustworthy and did nothing wrong. That's not the case if we're talking about a 2M settlement or something. Fiduciary obligatons doesn't mean they have to settle every case if said settlement is worth less than the PR you'll get. That wasn't the case for the fox trial.
I thought you were suggesting that Dominion with $800m in their account is in a position to turn down another $800m and prefer their day in court.

My point being that their only goal here is to get as big a sum as possible from all parties and clear their name in the process.

Nobody at Dominion will be in the slightest bit motivated to hold Fox and Murdoch to account for the same ideological reasons so many of us were invested.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I thought you were suggesting that Dominion with $800m in their account is in a position to turn down another $800m and prefer their day in court.

My point being that their only goal here is to get as big a sum as possible from all parties and clear their name in the process.

Nobody at Dominion will be in the slightest bit motivated to hold Fox and Murdoch to account for the same ideological reasons so many of us were invested.
What I meant is that they might be less prone to settle a case against Giuliani or Powell considering their assets are ridiculous compared to what Fox could afford. So they might actually be interested in going the whole way.

RedDevilQuebecois

Do you know how pathetic you look under the sun now, Dominion? This was the best chance there has ever been to expose the entire bullshit going on at Fox News and the only opportunity to make the likes of Carlson and Ingraham WEEP under oath.

Feck the notion of justice or rather the lack thereof in the US! There, I said it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surely means they’re at minimum not allowed to peddle the same bollocks in 2024?

frostbite

Pretty good outcome imo.

One of the lawyers from Dominion just suggested they're not done yet, which means the likes of Giuliani, Powell and others are probably still on the hook.
Can Dominion sue Trump, too?

RedDevilQuebecois

Surely means they’re at minimum not allowed to peddle the same bollocks in 2024?
Are you kidding me? There is basically nothing stopping them from going at it again.

Dominion should have bled Fox News dry the same way News of the World was left to bleed to death after The Guardian exposed the phone hacking scandal against News International.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Are you kidding me? There is basically nothing stopping them from going at it again.

Dominion should have bled Fox News dry the same way News of the World was left to bleed to death after The Guardian exposed the phone hacking scandal against News International.
Wasn’t sure if it was part of the settlement maybe?

Spark

Other than it costing them $800m.

It’s an annoying outcome, but it makes sense in the cold light of day.

We have gotten public admission via the hosts private messages that they don’t believe the bullshit they were peddling. Feel like it’s a start.

frostbite

Smartmatic is asking for $2.7bn.

And now they also have precedence.

This is not over.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Smartmatic is asking for $2.7bn.

And now they also have precedence.

This is not over.
No trial date as of now, but the judge has swatted away a couple of motions by Fox to get the suit thrown out of court.

Watch this space.

Pscholes18

They should of demanded an on air apology from Tucker and Sean. Fox will never change until the Murdoch sibs kick out Lachlan.

RedDevilQuebecois

Other than it costing them $800m.

It’s an annoying outcome, but it makes sense in the cold light of day.

We have gotten public admission via the hosts private messages that they don’t believe the bullshit they were peddling. Feel like it’s a start.
Those private messages mean nothing. We wanted those clowns to publicly admit wrongdoing on the air and/or to weep under oath in court.

If Dominion looked at how News of the World (NOTW) was left bleeding to death back after the phone hacking scandal in 2011, this should have been Dominion's MO by going all the way in court. Remember that NOTW was targeted by criminal lawsuits, public inquiries, mass resignations, loss of sponsors, and, finally, total bankruptcy in the aftermath of the revelations in The Guardian.

Hamnat

They should of demanded an on air apology from Tucker and Sean. Fox will never change until the Murdoch sibs kick out Lachlan.
They know the on air apologies do not matter to Fox viewers. If that was a sticking point Dominion was right to ignore it and run with the cash. Fox viewers who believed election lies are morons anyway. Fox can't even control them anymore they will just make up a conspiracy for the apology and keep trying to ban books and drag queens in their local communities.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Murdoch should be getting prison time and the keys thrown away for his criminal past. The justice system is a joke that this parasite can continue to buy himself out of criminal convictions and evade all accountability or responsibility whether it be this case or the phone hacking scandal or everything else this prick has done in his worthless existence.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Of course they won. They just bought their innocence and the possibility to keep doing the same shit over and over again.
They were never going to go out of business, so the financial settlement is fair. Especially given that its far more than Dominion the company is actually worth. They can simply rebrand and use the money to create bigger version of themselves.