Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The only way it plays out with impeachment is if a few marginal GOP senators see a poll saying they'll benefit from looking bipartisan and impeaching. That's all that matters to them.
If Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio starts exploring a presidential campaign you can know that the roaches are abandoning the ship.
No Republican politician is going to vote against Trump and still have countrywide support to be his successor.

There’s also no chance that a Republican could gain more votes than they would lose by voting for Trump’s impeachment.

If they’re targeting any Republican impeachment votes it has to be the retiring senators who would like to see the party move back towards centre from the far right.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I believe pelosi isnt dumb.

She didnt make the impeachment earlier on because she knows it wont stand. She's making one now and it's happening at a fast rate i think she had deals behind the closed door

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I believe pelosi isnt dumb.

She didnt make the impeachment earlier on because she knows it wont stand. She's making one now and it's happening at a fast rate i think she had deals behind the closed door
I don’t think she believes or expects to get any support in the senate.

She wants a lengthy impeachment process with plenty of public hearings detailing all of the crimes trump and his administration are guilty of.

She then wants every single Republican who supports those crimes to have that on their political record.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

She wants a lengthy impeachment process with plenty of public hearings detailing all of the crimes trump and his administration are guilty of.

She then wants every single Republican who supports those crimes to have that on their political record.
Doubtful. At the end of the day american bipartisan still functions as a you scratch my back i scratch your back.

Presidency comes in turns. Next it's dem and they need some bargaining chip. Republican knows this too.

Which make the whole trump presidency amusin imho. You dont want to make a permanent enemy at politic. Not when you'll be taking turns on being president.

But i may be wrong, guess we shall see

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
At some point, people are going to have to make a stand against the way our political leaders behave. I live in England and it is obvious that Boris Johnson is taking a lead from Trump. The aggressive bullying tactics where they act as if they can do whatever they choose and are above scrutiny is very evident.
I am all in favour of strong leadership. But the emphasis has to be on Leadership.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No Republican politician is going to vote against Trump and still have countrywide support to be his successor.

There’s also no chance that a Republican could gain more votes than they would lose by voting for Trump’s impeachment.

If they’re targeting any Republican impeachment votes it has to be the retiring senators who would like to see the party move back towards centre from the far right.
Right now the public support for impeachment is at 37%, once the story starts shaking lose a lot more incriminating details and if the house subpoenas other conversations he has had like for example if he had pushed Xi Jinping to investigate Biden's son's business dealings in Shanghai for a favourable trade deal, you can bet that number starts going higher and once that reaches a certain point, its hard for anyone to bank on the Trump base alone to rescue them.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Not sure I agree. They’ll constantly be looking towards the post-Trump future, and whoever is going to take that mantle has to either embrace him to the end (if he survives) or be ready to show leadership as he’s overthrown. If impeachment starts bringing out all sorts of misdeeds, then embracing him is going to tarnish them with the same brush.

There has to be a fair number of them running the numbers constantly and trying to figure out if there’s an opportunity to stab him in the back.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
David Remnick mentioned 37% this week, not sure if that was before or after the Ukraine story broke.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-political-scene/nancy-pelosi-an-extremely-stable-genius
37% was before Ukraine broke, although to be fair I think the question asked was something like ‘If it was shown that the president pressured Ukraine to investigate his political opponents, would you vote to impeach?’. As always the question phrasing shapes the poll results.

MadMike

Just read about how impeachments work in the US...

A simple House majority could impeach him, and apparently if gets impeached he stands trial in the Senate with the Senators acting as Jury. A guilty verdict requires a 2/3s majority or 67 guilty verdicts.

Currently there's 53 Reps 45 Dems and 2 indies. So all Dems, Indies + 20 Reps is the minimum requirement for a guilty verdict.

He's not gonna be found guilty is he? It's just a waste of time. And how fecked up is it that partisan Senators are the jury to the trial of a partisan President?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

A simple House majority could impeach him, and apparently if gets impeached he stands trial in the Senate with the Senators acting as Jury. A guilty verdict requires a 2/3s majority or 67 guilty verdicts.

Currently there's 53 Reps 45 Dems and 2 indies. So all Dems, Indies + 20 Reps is the minimum requirement for a guilty verdict.

He's not gonna be found guilty is he? It's just a waste of time. And how fecked up is it that partisan Senators are the jury to the trial of a partisan President?
As I mentioned above, this process will last well into next year in which case he could be 'found guilty' and removed from office via the public vote.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

Just imagine all the witnesses and the damage they could cause Trump. But like I’ve said before I just can’t see him sitting there on trial. He’ll resign before he’ll put himself through that and risk being humiliated.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Just imagine all the witnesses and the damage they could cause Trump. But like I’ve said before I just can’t see him sitting there on trial. He’ll resign before he’ll put himself through that and risk being humiliated.
That's the key really - how much dirt will they dig up before Donnie breaks. This being anyone else I'd have to some faith they ll do the right thing eventually but as said many times before - I fear he will rather bring the country down to its knees and have to be dragged out of there kicking and screaming.

Red Defence

That's the key really - how much dirt will they dig up before Donnie breaks. This being anyone else I'd have to some faith they ll do the right thing eventually but as said many times before - I fear he will rather bring the country down to its knees and have to be dragged out of there kicking and screaming.
Oh I do hope not, I just want him gone. He won’t manage to get through a hearing without lying though. Can he take the 5th?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Some psychologist reckoned the opposite, that as a narcissist despite the risks he wouldn’t be able to resist the attention it would bring. Basically the whole world focusing on him 24/7 for months.

Red Defence

Some psychologist reckoned the opposite, that despite the risks he wouldn’t be able to resist the attention it would bring. Basically the whole world focusing on him 24/7 for months.
They’ve probably got a better idea than me but I still can’t see him sitting through a trial. He’ll lose it and insult them all. Could be entertaining though.

MadMike

Some psychologist reckoned the opposite, that as a narcissist despite the risks he wouldn’t be able to resist the attention it would bring. Basically the whole world focusing on him 24/7 for months.
When has he backed away from anything, however smart or foolish? He always doubles down. And with a Republican Senate majority he will probably see it as a low risk challenge.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
They’ve probably got a better idea than me but I still can’t see him sitting through a trial. He’ll lose it and insult them all. Could be entertaining though.
Oh yeah, he’d definitely go to pieces under the pressure. But he’s a giant egotist, he won’t believe that until it’s happening.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hypothetically: I think, if accumulated evidence is damning enough, he'll be told to exit quietly...or else. Then he'd walk off claiming that 'everyone's against me' while setting his lucrative TrumpTV plan in motion. Best outcome we can hope for, IMO.

MadMike

As I mentioned above, this process will last well into next year in which case he could be 'found guilty' and removed from office via the public vote.
Or.. found innocent in time for the election and used as ammunition in his campaign.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So there's no judicial tool that can be used against the President. Is he under legal immunity for the duration of his term?
He is not, there is nothing in the constitution that says that. This entire ‘President is above the law’ bullshit is purely from the DoJ’s internal policies that sprang up after Nixon.

I think it was Sherman who got fined by the police for riding a horse too fast through the streets of Washington way back when. Back then no-one tried to claim a President was above the law.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You'd think that tweet was a parody...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Hypothetically: I think, if accumulated evidence is damning enough, he'll be told to exit quietly...or else. Then he'd walk off claiming that 'everyone's against me' while setting his lucrative TrumpTV plan in motion. Best outcome we can hope for, IMO.
I'd rate this as a more likely scenario than getting booted if I was an odds maker on reasons of not getting a second term:
  1. 99% removal via the electoral vote
  2. 0.9% cheating the trial process, playing the martyr, and organizing a pardon with Pence
  3. 0.1% successful conviction in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.