Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaos

He doesn't gain, he just doesn't move much. His approval rating has been remarkably static.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/
It’s the cultist devotion of his supporters that remains to be the reliable buffer for him. To them he can do no wrong. He’s just one of those marmite politicians where those who love him will continue to do so, and those who hate him will likely already have hated him from the start, irrespective of his actions recent or otherwise.

I’d be more interested in changes on his approval rating amongst independents and moderate conservatives.

GiddyUp

I remember during the election people saying if he's elected he will tone down and cut back on tweeting
He's literally tweeting Congress these days
The 2020 election is going to be nasty isn't it
Yes, and if I was the Democrat running against him I would be relishing the confrontation. So much ammunition at your disposal. He had Bills accusers at the debates, I would have his. And the farmers and the parents of the babies locked up. Show no mercy and draw the line because make no mistake about it, this will be the defining election for this countries future.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
America was viewed as the model democratic society but all it has taken for it to fall apart is one party to go off the rails.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
America was viewed as the model democratic society but all it has taken for it to fall apart is one party to go off the rails.
One party is essentially 50 % of who they get to vote on though.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yes, and if I was the Democrat running against him I would be relishing the confrontation. So much ammunition at your disposal. He had Bills accusers at the debates, I would have his. And the farmers and the parents of the babies locked up. Show no mercy and draw the line because make no mistake about it, this will be the defining election for this countries future.
you think hes showing up for the debates... with the fake media... nah it will be fox news only and he will vet the questions / format - or he will launch trump news with ivanka as the moderator - something like this

question 1... by how much is trump the bestist president ever
cut to advert to link to trump campaign

question 2... is it the dems or the fake medias fault the wall isnt yet built
cut to advert of ivanka selling something

question 3... who is more corrupt hunter of joe biden
cut to advert to link to trump campaign

question 4... should hillarly still be locked up or should he authorise a drone strike on her... phone in poll with results after the advert
cut to advert of ivanks selling something else

Question 5... hold that question we are going live to the assassination of crooked killary
back to question 5... whose next obama or pelosi... tune in next week... same trump time... same trump Chanel to find out

cut to the freedom kids playing us out

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Has he tweeted anything yet about the forest fires in Aussi and offering some kind of assistance? Or even to show compassion? Or how about today's earthquake in PR?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Has he tweeted anything yet about the forest fires in Aussi and offering some kind of assistance? Or even to show compassion? Or how about today's earthquake in PR?
It should be the easiest public relations win for him, California firefighters flying halfway across the globe (which they are). Combined with the Aussies probably the best firefighting force in the world.

But since it’s Californians and tied to climate change, yeah nah nah nah...

Drifter

American
John Bolton says he is prepared to testify in Senate trial if subpoenaed

STATEMENT OF JOHN R. BOLTON
During the present impeachment controversy, I have tried to meet my obligations both as a citizen and as former National Security Advisor. My colleague, Dr. Charles Kupperman, faced with a House committee subpoena on the one hand, and a Presidential directive not to testify on the other, sought final resolution of this Constitutional conflict from the Federal judiciary. After my counsel informed the House committee that I too would seek judicial resolution of these Constitutional issues, the committee chose not to subpoena me. Nevertheless, I publicly resolved to be guided by the outcome of Dr. Kupperman’s case.
But both the President and the House of Representatives opposed his effort on jurisdictional grounds, and each other on the merits. The House committee went so far as to withdraw its subpoena to Dr. Kupperman in a deliberate attempt to moot the case and deprive the court of jurisdiction. Judge Richard Leon, in a carefully reasoned opinion on December 30, held Dr. Kupperman’s case to be moot, and therefore did not reach the separation-of-powers issues.
The House has concluded its Constitutional responsibility by adopting Articles of Impeachment related to the Ukraine matter. It now falls to the Senate to fulfill its Constitutional obligation to try impeachments, and it does not appear possible that a final judicial resolution of the still-unanswered Constitutional questions can be obtained before the Senate acts.
Accordingly, since my testimony is once again at issue, I have had to resolve the serious competing issues as best I could, based on careful consideration and study. I have concluded that, if the Senate issues a subpoena for my testimony, I am prepared to testify.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Can the republicans block a subpoena seeing as they have the majority in the senate?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can the republicans block a subpoena seeing as they have the majority in the senate?
Nope, Congress and Senate are separate powers.If Bolton defied it the executive branch would get involved but if he’s not planning to defy it like he says it should be a formality.

That said he’s a republican through and through. His answers will be calculated.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nope, Congress and Senate are separate powers.If Bolton defied it the executive branch would get involved but if he’s not planning to defy it like he says it should be a formality.

That said he’s a republican through and through. His answers will be calculated.
He is saying that 'if the Senate issues a subpoena for my testimony, I am prepared to testify.'

If McConnell is not sure that he won't behave well, Senate won't issue a subpoena for him. I don't expect it to happen, unless Bolton already gave the go-ahead.

The timing of this in the middle of Iran crisis is a bit worrying though. Bolton's life mission has been to bomb Iran.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If anybody thinks that he's doing this in order for truth and justice to prevail, they may be a little disappointed.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Rubio s response is interesting-saying that if they want to use Bolton as a witness then the house should have used him first because otherwise the senate would be constrained by the current articles of impeachment. Then suggesting the house go back through the process to subpoena Bolton. That could mean he believes the battle in court over whether Bolton can not be barred by the WH from testifying before the House will end up in the WHs favor, he thinks that the House going back to the drawing board will be political suicide for the dems, or he legimately believes Bolton should be called to testify. Seems hard to believe anyone in the R party has the backbone for the last, least of all Rubio.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He is saying that 'if the Senate issues a subpoena for my testimony, I am prepared to testify.'

If McConnell is not sure that he won't behave well, Senate won't issue a subpoena for him. I don't expect it to happen, unless Bolton already gave the go-ahead.

The timing of this in the middle of Iran crisis is a bit worrying though. Bolton's life mission has been to bomb Iran.
Sorry read the story on Reddit earlier who framed it as “Congress” so presumed he was open to a House Intelligence/Judiciary Subpoena.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sorry read the story on Reddit earlier who framed it as “Congress” so presumed he was open to a House Intelligence/Judiciary Subpoena.
I think Congress typically means both rooms of it, so if it is not specified, it has to be understood from the context. Or is Congress used exclusively for the lower chamber?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think Congress typically means both rooms of it, so if it is not specified, it has to be understood from the context. Or is Congress used exclusively for the lower chamber?
Congress means both but is often used colloquially as the House. Usually when said together as House and Senate though.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Yeah, but it’s the Senate that needs to subpoena him, no? And with the republicans having a majority there, can’t that republican majority just refuse to subpoena him?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

The Senate is part of Congress.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
John Bolton agrees to testify days after the US goes much closer to war? It's got to be a deal, either friendly testimony in exchange for the assassination or he wanted to make sure a war gets started before disrupting the presidency with bad testimony (letting the miltary continue it under their own management).

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
John Bolton agrees to testify days after the US goes much closer to war? It's got to be a deal, either friendly testimony in exchange for the assassination or he wanted to make sure a war gets started before disrupting the presidency with bad testimony (letting the miltary continue it under their own management).
Also called a conspiracy theory

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There is, literally, more chance of him tweeting about the Golden Globes.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Is America the same as England in that you get people that live in remote rural countryside where they barely ever bump into anyone a different race to them yet are convinced that they’re being overrun by [OTHER_RACE] and losing their identity because of it?
I don’t think that sort of thing happens much in the US since even people in more rural areas see people of different races and cultures, not to mention the fact that everyone is online today. I see the variances between progressives, moderate independents, and Republicans as largely a dispute over the pace of change in society.
Visited pockets of the deep south/midwest of late?

These people do indeed believe far'ners are taking jobs away and Muslims are taking over the country. Especially aging white people.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Good shout. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hilarious, or terrifying, tidbits leaking from DC. The best bit is the honey trap.

Why don't these people all speak out, with their faces out in the open. Quit there jobs and tell him to go feck himself? Why is this apparent dimwitted lunatic allowed to keep his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.