Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart89

At least he knows two: George Stephanopoulos and coffee boy George Papadopoulos.

He probably thinks they all go by George.
He knows all of them except if they're involved in criminal proceedings, in which case he doesn't know them at all.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In some ways, yes.

In other ways, absolutely not.
Care to expand on that? It’s always interesting to have different opinions permeate the walls of the echo chamber.

Fener1907

Care to expand on that? It’s always interesting to have different opinions permeate the walls of the echo chamber.
I haven't really been paying attention to politics this year but, looking at things purely from a selfish perspective, I want him to win another term as president. I'm only interested in how things benefit Turkey nowadays and I think this last three years with him in charge have greatly benefited it simply because US meddling has drastically reduced in the country, specifically since their failed attempt at seizing power in 2016.

As was already happening years ago, Turkey has moved further away from the US and NATO and has been building better relations with Russia since the downed jet incident. Things are never truly stable in the country but moving away from American influence has brought a semblance of sanity to it, and Trump and his administration aren't politically savvy enough to bring it back on side or manipulate it for selfish gains like they had been doing for so long.

Revan

Assumptionman
I haven't really been paying attention to politics this year but, looking at things purely from a selfish perspective, I want him to win another term as president. I'm only interested in how things benefit Turkey nowadays and I think this last three years with him in charge have greatly benefited it simply because US meddling has drastically reduced in the country, specifically since their failed attempt at seizing power in 2016.

As was already happening years ago, Turkey has moved further away from the US and NATO and has been building better relations with Russia since the downed jet incident. Things are never truly stable in the country but moving away from American influence has brought a semblance of sanity to it, and Trump and his administration aren't politically savvy enough to bring it back on side or manipulate it for selfish gains like they had been doing for so long.
What did the US benefit from Turkey and why being a satellite state of Putin is going to be better than being related to the US?

Fener1907

What did the US benefit from Turkey and why being a satellite state of Putin is going to be better than being related to the US?
The obvious way the US benefits is by having a strong military ally that borders the Middle East and sits close to Russia, and within Turkey the İncirlik air base that has been home to some important arsenal and is strategically important i.e. it practically sits on the doorstep of Syria. I believe aligning itself with Russia is better because America ultimately wants to install its own puppet leadership in Turkey, which does nothing for long term stability of the country, whereas Russia has no ambitions of owning a Turkish government but instead forming stronger ties with it.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The obvious way the US benefits is by having a strong military ally that borders the Middle East and sits close to Russia, and within Turkey the İncirlik air base that has been home to some important arsenal and is strategically important i.e. it practically sits on the doorstep of Syria. I believe aligning itself with Russia is better because America ultimately wants to install its own puppet leadership in Turkey, which does nothing for long term stability of the country, whereas Russia has no ambitions of owning a Turkish government but instead forming stronger ties with it.
That seems a bit naive. Russia s entire goal is to not only push Turkey away from both the US but the European Union as well. Putin will be looking for ways to manipulate Turkey just as much as the US. It's a strategic launching pad between the East and West.

Revan

Assumptionman
Totally disagree with this. Russia wants total dominance on their satellite states, not just having good relations. Let's see.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the whole logic of that post is upside down. The US have a strategic interest in Turkey, they are probably much more like to meddle with a goverment that distances itself from them in order to be friendly with Russia than the other way around.

Redplane

Mike Lee is pissed.
After he took Trump dingaling out of his mouth (I'm understanding why he did it I guess) he started making a lot of sense. In fact - exactly the words I would like to hear from a politician who recognizes the responsibilities and importance of the differenct branches of government. If only I could believe McConnell or other long term Republican hardliners aren't going to tell him to shut up. If only we had more politicians saying the right things like that without a partisan tone and actually following through on those words as well.

Fener1907

That seems a bit naive. Russia s entire goal is to not only push Turkey away from both the US but the European Union as well. Putin will be looking for ways to manipulate Turkey just as much as the US. It's a strategic launching pad between the East and West.
Totally disagree with this. Russia wants total dominance on their satellite states, not just having good relations. Let's see.

Putin wouldn't be averse to having control over Turkey any less than the US is, I'm under no illusions about that. The difference between him and the US is that he didn't directly try to insert his own government by force. Since this is about picking the lesser of two evils, that's the side to fall on.

And I have no major issue about Turkey's position on the EU, as it's long been distant from it and harbors no real intentions of joining as a full member. Putin doesn't need to do much work there because Turkey's president already made that decision a long time ago.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
After he took Trump dingaling out of his mouth (I'm understanding why he did it I guess) he started making a lot of sense. In fact - exactly the words I would like to hear from a politician who recognizes the responsibilities and importance of the differenct branches of government. If only I could believe McConnell or other long term Republican hardliners aren't going to tell him to shut up. If only we had more politicians saying the right things like that without a partisan tone and actually following through on those words as well.
They are playing a very dangerous game of no return though.

What are the odds that maybe, someday, the dems would hold the presidency, both senate and house majority and looking for payback.

Serious question : The the numbers are reversed and the dems holds majority, can they do exactly as what the GOP did? Morals aside

Redplane

Boom! We are all saved.
Completely shameless. The trend had been going down well before his Presidency and it only is due to certain, more easily treated forms of cancer like melanoma. If that dumb feck wasn't actively de funding scientific research maybe he would actually have a sliver of credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.