Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It was never a great system, the fact that even you as someone who is disillusioned with it still think that it once was in some imaginary time past means that institutionalists will cling on to that excuse and your country will plod along in limbo until all hell breaks loose.

I think the US is heading to a civil war again. Some kind of breakup. People used to be motivated by labour and improving their lives, now the only force powerful enough to unite people is nationalism. Trump tapped into that but wasn't smart enough to follow through. I'm curious to see who becomes the leader to unleash those forces completely.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think the US is heading to a civil war again. Some kind of breakup. People used to be motivated by labour and improving their lives, now the only force powerful enough to unite people is nationalism. Trump tapped into that but wasn't smart enough to follow through. I'm curious to see who becomes the leader to unleash those forces completely.
I'm not sure about a civil war, but I do think American democracy is well on its way to slowly deteriorating, and it might lead to the Union breaking up.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure about a civil war, but I do think American democracy is well on its way to slowly deteriorating, and it might lead to the Union breaking up.
A race war then. Holy shit, maybe Charlie Manson was actually right about that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
People complaining about the witnesses in the trial make no sense and are simply ignoring reality still. The Dems completely proved the case. The senators in the chamber WERE witnesses. As were all their aids and families, and all the police officers who were injured and died protecting them on January 6th. Mitch McConnel flat out told the entire world in that speech that the Democrats were right, they made their case. Trump was the cause, he incited it, he sent the mob there to attack them and he didn't do a damn thing to call them off. He didn't convict because he is a pussy and wants to have it both ways. He is the reason the trial wasn't held while Trump was still in office. But, pretends his hands were tied on a made up technicality that was already voted on earlier in the week. The Senate voted on the question and yes they can have the trial and convict after the President was out of office. He choose to ignore that vote because he wanted too. He thinks he can keep the trump base to get power back. And still get rid of trump by admitting yes he did it and the Criminal justice system should take him off his hands and "get him".

The House managers explained again afterwards in great detail. They could have called GOD to the stand, as Manager Swalwell said. It wouldn't have made any difference the GOP wanted to let trump off and there was NO way they were getting 67 votes.

The trial still had to happen. The Democrats did exactly what they had to do. Trump's actions were so egregious if that wasn't impeachment worthy then nothing was. They laid out an easy to follow case to the American public, a lot of whom only watch certain outlets. Even Fox news and the more right wing crackpot networks carried most of the case live. So more people were exposed to the body cam footage, the visceral proof that yes this was an insurrection despite right wing media downplaying the violent, murderous intent of this mob of clear Trump supporters. Even some Senators had no idea how close they were to the mob until they saw that unreleased security footage. Romney didn't know he was that close and it was Officer Goodman that had him turn around and head for safety. Many people including me didn't realize how close these insurrectionists were to actually getting lawmakers despite watching the chaos live as it aired January 6th. The House manager presentation with aids huddled under desks whispering calling for help behind locked doors while crazed Trumpers bashed the barricaded doors and "hunted" them. Needed to be shown in this way.

Trump didn't have a defense. The fact that those bumbling, ambulance chaser lawyers he had kept having to get assistance from the GOP senators like Cruz, and Lindsey showed the world all trump needed was warm bodies. GOP was going to acquit him because they need his base and need the money. Senator Tuberville flat out admitted multiple times he spoke to trump and told him Pence was evacuated that day. He knows trump didn't give a shit. Yet he voted to acquit. They all knew the truth. They didn't care. No witness was going to make them care.
Also worth noting the GOP made a process argument that trying a former President was unconstitutional, before the trial even started, which insulated from pressure to convict since they would simply say "I can't convict because its unconstitutional to impeach ex-Presidents". And that's precisely what a good number of them did. Raskin recognized this and quickly realized it was pointless to continue, and they probably negotiated McConnell's terse condemnation of Trump and that he could be criminally prosecuted, as part of the deal to end it early.

WPMUFC

"norms and traditions"
The house managers literally argued that precedent in the senate had now created a January Exception to impeachment. So any vague idea of norms (which I get you're mocking) has been obliterated by Republicans.

Hence political violence has now been legitimise in the USA to resolve elections.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The house managers literally argued that precedent in the senate had now created a January Exception to impeachment. So any vague idea of norms (which I get you're mocking) has been obliterated by Republicans.

Hence political violence has now been legitimise in the USA to resolve elections.
Hardly, he was still impeached and it's not a constitutional precedent. Don't forget the electorate have clearly proven they don't think future Presidents should conduct themselves in the way he did.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hardly, he was still impeached and it's not a constitutional precedent. Don't forget the electorate have clearly proven they don't think future Presidents should conduct themselves in the way he did.
Have they? As far as I’m aware 1st January 2021 was after 3rd November 2020.

SirAF

Ageist
Woodwards‘s book on the final days is going to be box office.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Really cool that Woodward once again decides to hold back information critical to preserving American democracy for the sake of topping the NY Times Bestseller Charts. Nice one Bob.

SirAF

Ageist
Really cool that Woodward once again decides to hold back information critical to preserving American democracy for the sake of topping the NY Times Bestseller Charts. Nice one Bob.
Trump would never have been convincted by the Senate regardless of what information comes out.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Whatever local or county prosecution on trump won't bear fruit, because even at the highest states those in power cower in fear of Trump.

If senators of the US can't even find their spine, good luck on state level judges finding theirs

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Whatever local or county prosecution on trump won't bear fruit, because even at the highest states those in power cower in fear of Trump.

If senators of the US can't even find their spine, good luck on state level judges finding theirs
They have multiple times already though, to deny the 60 or 70 odd challenges he made over voting across the country.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
They have multiple times already though, to deny the 60 or 70 odd challenges he made over voting across the country.
Yes, but actually giving guilty verdict and sending him to jail? I seriously doubted it, they'd have calls from someone way beyond their paygrade.

I believe it when it happens, but somehow i'm skeptical.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Yes, but actually giving guilty verdict and sending him to jail? I seriously doubted it, they'd have calls from someone way beyond their paygrade.

I believe it when it happens, but somehow i'm skeptical.
Well, if they hadn't rejected all his appeals, he'd be President.

They may have been stupid, but if they were all terrified of him or in his pocket, he would have won.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
The saying "the best of you ran down your mothers arse crack" was absolutely coined for this guy.

I don't know why hes even given air time, I mean his sole qualification is being born to a guy who inherited millions from his grandfather, and he even managed to almost feck that up for himself.

Everytime he opens his mouth all I hear is the 13 year old, whose just learned his daddy has been cheating and is leaving, begging for some love or acknowledgement.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The saying "the best of you ran down your mothers arse crack" was absolutely coined for this guy.

I don't know why hes even given air time, I mean his sole qualification is being born to a guy who inherited millions from his grandfather, and he even managed to almost feck that up for himself.

Everytime he opens his mouth all I hear is the 13 year old, whose just learned his daddy has been cheating and is leaving, begging for some love or acknowledgement.

Well he was raised by cnuty cnut.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Dear christ, how can one logically deal with these multiple fairytale believers?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
"Donald Trump is not perfect. Ok, he's a serial adulterer, Russian mole, deadbeat, liar and not remotely Christian but he's our guy, ok? And you have to support our guy. Didn't Jesus say turn the other cheek, well that's what we're doing for President Trump and you should too!".