Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

Mike Smalling

Just what he needs - another court case. I don't know if it has any merit, but given the competency of his lawyers, I doubt it.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Oh dear. More trouble for Donald and another massive failure for Habba who they have just thrown under the bus. Pretty funny Trump's team just settled a hush money case weeks before he's about to go on trial for another hush money scandal. FML..... You really couldn't make any of this shit up. :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The courts are trying their hardest - unless you meant a literal Lee Harvey Oswald
The courts are enforcing the law? It is called a prosecution not an assasination. He is lucky he has got away with it for so many decades.

And yes the later. Not advocating for anyone's death but I am surprised that such a dangerous lunatic hasn't been taken out by another (far less dangerous) lunatic with a gun, given how easily available they are in the US.

Suedesi

The courts are enforcing the law? It is called a prosecution not an assasination. He is lucky he has got away with it for so many decades.

And yes the later. Not advocating for anyone's death but I am surprised that such a dangerous lunatic hasn't been taken out by another (far less dangerous) lunatic with a gun, given how easily available they are in the US.
Selectively applying the law. Basically, Trump secured large loans from banks, which required his financial statements. True to form, he submitted exaggerated statements, which the banks, aware of his tendency to overstate his wealth, largely overlooked. Despite his exaggerated financial claims, the banks successfully underwrote the loans, all of which were repaid.

From a philosophical standpoint, there's no injured party here and one might even argue that misrepresenting immaterial facts to banks shouldn't be deemed fraudulent, especially if the banks are aware of the overstatements.

Trump was fined $454 million due to his practice of puffing up his wealth assessments based on personal sentiment rather than concrete metrics like cash flows or market comps. Yet, his involvement with a media SPAC may, in essence, allow him to his fame into a publicly traded asset. It's rather funny, and somewhat grimly poetic.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Selectively applying the law. Basically, Trump secured large loans from banks, which required his financial statements. True to form, he submitted exaggerated statements, which the banks, aware of his tendency to overstate his wealth, largely overlooked. Despite his exaggerated financial claims, the banks successfully underwrote the loans, all of which were repaid.
So massive and habitual fraudulently obtaining loans with outrageous lies then. I doubt there are many people doing this and if they are they should be prosecuted as well. Trump has got away with all sorts of wrongdoing for decades and about time he was made to live by the laws that the rest of us have to adhere to.

From a philosophical standpoint, there's no injured party here and one might even argue that misrepresenting immaterial facts to banks shouldn't be deemed fraudulent, especially if the banks are aware of the overstatements.
There certainly is. Everyone else who does have to live by the rules is harmed if he doesn't. The integrity of our legal and regulatory systems are undermined. And if he gets cheaper loans someone else is almost inevitably going to pay for that with higher fees or rates. Basically everyone barring a couple of bankers and Trump are hugely harmed.

Trump was fined $454 million due to his practice of puffing up his wealth assessments based on personal sentiment rather than concrete metrics like cash flows or market comps. Yet, his involvement with a media SPAC may, in essence, allow him to his fame into a publicly traded asset. It's rather funny, and somewhat grimly poetic.
The fines aren't funny, really, more satisfying that he is finally a fraction of what he deserves. His making money from blagging isn't. Hopefully it isn't going to happen and is a media beat up. Even better he gets implicated in some wrong doing here as well and not only can't sell his shares but gets prosecuted for something juicy.

He (if he gets back in) and Putin are the most dangerous people in the world so when he occasionally gets held to account it is a really really good thing.

Last edited:

Suedesi

So massive and habitual fraudulently obtaining loans with outrageous lies. I doubt there are many people doing this and if they are they should be prosecuted as well. Trump has got away with all sorts of rong doing for decades and about time he was made to live by the laws that the rest of us have to adhere to.

There certainly is. Everyone else who does have to live by the rules is harmed if he doesn't. The integrity of our legal and regulatory systems are undermined. And if he gets cheaper loans someone else is almost inevitably going to pay for that with higher fees or rates. Basically everyone barring a couple of bankers and Trump are hugely harmed.

The fines aren't funny, really, more satisfying that he is finally a fraction of what he deserves. His making money from blagging isn't. Hopefully it isn't going to happen and is a media beat up. Even better he gets implicated in some wrong doing here as well and not only can't sell his shares but gets prosecuted for something juicy.
Phleez dude. I remind you that no bankster whatsoever saw the inside of a cell, despite the chaos they caused worldwide during the 2008 financial meltdown. Massive bailouts on the dime of the average Joe, and all that jazz. And those toxic mortgage-backed securities and those wild collateralized derivative obligations? Dumped onto unsuspecting pension funds, wiping out folks' savings like it was nothing. No bankster faced any personal liability whatsoever for that massive fraud, they even got their bonuses after the bailouts.

Then there's Trump, puffing up his financial statements to collateralize loans, which the banks can/will always haircut during the underwriting process. And bam, that's somehow a $454 million problem. Kinda makes you laugh, doesn't it?

I mean, if you're totally hung up on Trump, you might see it one way - but a more dispassionate person would view it as rather selective application of the law.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Phleez dude. I remind you that no bankster whatsoever saw the inside of a cell, despite the chaos they caused worldwide during the 2008 financial meltdown.
Shame.

Massive bailouts on the dime of the average Joe, and all that jazz. And those toxic mortgage-backed securities and those wild collateralized derivative obligations? Dumped onto unsuspecting pension funds, wiping out folks' savings like it was nothing. No bankster faced any personal liability whatsoever for that massive fraud, they even got their bonuses after the bailouts.
Shame. But that is also very different from an individual/individual company obtaining benefit from direct fraud. And even if it wasn't someone getting away with something is a very poor reason for allowing everyone to get away with something. I'd be delighted if every corporate cnut was held to account in a way they deserve. In trump's case the huge damages is Ok but a real shame there hasn't been a criminal prosecution that would result in huge jail time. Hopefully that will come from his attempt to overthrow your democracy.

Then there's Trump, puffing up his financial statements to collateralize loans, which the banks can/will always haircut during the underwriting process. And bam, that's somehow a $454 million problem. Kinda makes you laugh, doesn't it?
A huge fraud that he finally got pulled up for? Excellent

I mean, if you're totally hung up on Trump, you might see it one way - but a more dispassionate person would view it as rather selective application of the law.
I'd be very happy if any corporate fraudster was prosecuted, especially ones where the fraud was so audacious and huge. But this seems like a great place to start given how blatant it as and how he self destructed so badly. With such a high profile windbag it is bound to be more in the public eye and when he doesn't even try to hide his crime because he thinks he is above the law it makes it impossible for the authorities not to see it and persue it. So hardly selective unless you mean self-selective.

And hung up? Only in the sense that I'm hung up on the biggest evil scumbags of the world like Putin and Trump. Other are as bad morally but with far less influence on fecking up everyone else's world. Bad enough what they can do to their own countries but ....

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Someone refresh my memory. Are the 454 million trial the one that alina habba forgot to check a box to go on a jury trial?

Wing Attack Plan R

Yeah, I read that too, but can she take what she wants/sees fit/is a fair value of what is owed? And I presume if he hasn't paid the bond by the 25th, then the morning of the 26th he could be waking up to see some of his properties on eBay?
After an asset is seized it is sold at auction, and the DA’s office does not care if it’s a fair value or not: the high bid wins. Trump is already leveraged/underwater on many/all of these properties, so if 40 Wall Street is seized, auctioned for $210 million, but he took out loans using it as collateral, it might only have a value of half that. The loans creditors are paid, then NYC. So it’s entirely possible James will sell an asset like this and after the disposition of liens it only amounts to a few tens of millions of dollars in the disgorgement. She sells 40 Wall Street for $100 million (he paid $210 million for it), he owes $100 million on it, so the asset clears his debt to the banks and does not bring the disgorgement number down at all (in theory).

Tl;dr his Potemkin empire is fecked.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
After an asset is seized it is sold at auction, and the DA’s office does not care if it’s a fair value or not: the high bid wins. Trump is already leveraged/underwater on many/all of these properties, so if 40 Wall Street is seized, auctioned for $210 million, but he took out loans using it as collateral, it might only have a value of half that. The loans creditors are paid, then NYC. So it’s entirely possible James will sell an asset like this and after the disposition of liens it only amounts to a few tens of millions of dollars in the disgorgement. She sells 40 Wall Street for $100 million (he paid $210 million for it), he owes $100 million on it, so the asset clears his debt to the banks and does not bring the disgorgement number down at all (in theory).

I can't imagine most of his properties selling for more than they're actually worth given the stain of carrying his name with them. He will probably try to get rid of his real estate properties first, homes 2nd, and golf courses last. I can't see any scenario under which he would be able to sell fast enough to make the Monday deadline.

Wing Attack Plan R

I can't imagine most of his properties selling for more than they're actually worth given the stain of carrying his name with them. He will probably try to get rid of his real estate properties first, homes 2nd, and golf courses last. I can't see any scenario under which he would be able to sell fast enough to make the Monday deadline.
And it’s going to be beautiful to watch! I think it will make him lose his shit in new and hilarious ways.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was something like that, but wasn't entirely sure. Let's just hope Truth Social doesn't bail him out (excuse the pun) and your scenarios or something similar is the end result.

Btw, seeing as he overinflated the price of his properties, I guess it's entirely possible if they do sell below the actual market value and not his made up value, that he could in fact end up in considerably more trouble/debt with the banks while still not being even close to clearing his fines?

Don't know why I'm getting excited over the prospect of that happening. He always manages to land on his feet and I wouldn't bet against that happening this time too.

Wing Attack Plan R

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was something like that, but wasn't entirely sure. Let's just hope Truth Social doesn't bail him out (excuse the pun) and your scenarios or something similar is the end result.

Btw, seeing as he overinflated the price of his properties, I guess it's entirely possible if they do sell below the actual market value and not his made up value, that he could in fact end up in considerably more trouble/debt with the banks while still not being even close to clearing his fines?

Don't know why I'm getting excited over the prospect of that happening. He always manages to land on his feet and I wouldn't bet against that happening this time too.
He can’t sell Truth Social stocks for several months still (and there’s no fecking chance it’s worth the $4 billion he claims, just like Mar A Lardo is worth only $18 million and not the $2.5 billion he claimed in court). And it’s pretty clear he’s underwater or over-leveraged on many/most/all of his properties. If this were like being upside down on a home loan, the bank would foreclose and repossess their asset, then resell it. In this case, Trump has to disgorge close to $550 million, and the surety companies are convinced he doesn’t have it and his properties are not worth that amount. It’s basically going to be like throwing all his shit out on the lawn and having a yard sale. If they sell everything he owns and it doesn’t total $550 million, he still owes the difference. He is really fecked, and it’s hilarious to behold.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
He wants the assets seized as it will play into his political persecution myth.

"The weaponized Biden Department of Justice is taking my properties after a rigged trial where they wouldn't even let me have a jury and we're not going to have a country anymore. The radical left are coming for yours next."

He'll still be fecked but he's banking on short term pain in the hope he regains the Presidency.

Bert_

Phleez dude. I remind you that no bankster whatsoever saw the inside of a cell, despite the chaos they caused worldwide during the 2008 financial meltdown. Massive bailouts on the dime of the average Joe, and all that jazz. And those toxic mortgage-backed securities and those wild collateralized derivative obligations? Dumped onto unsuspecting pension funds, wiping out folks' savings like it was nothing. No bankster faced any personal liability whatsoever for that massive fraud, they even got their bonuses after the bailouts.

A lot of heads should have rolled in the aftermath of 2008. Not just bankers, anyone that was involved in the whole shambles. Bankers are the soldiers capitalists like Trump have created to secure and increase their personal wealth.

"People have been talking about the end of the cycle for 12 years, and I’m excited if it is. I’ve always made more money in bad markets than in good markets.” - Trump 2007

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
He wants the assets seized as it will play into his political persecution myth.

"The weaponized Biden Department of Justice is taking my properties after a rigged trial where they wouldn't even let me have a jury and we're not going to have a country anymore. The radical left are coming for yours next."

He'll still be fecked but he's banking on short term pain in the hope he regains the Presidency.
The problem is that then it would mean to recognized that he was never a billionaire...not even half billionaire. Too much for his ego and also the image that he cultivated among his MAGAbonkers

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I thought that through the covid and BLM saga. His behaviour and attitude through covid was beyond reality
What? Injecting bleach was a bad idea? :)

Poor Deborah Brix, asked utterly stupid things by the POTUS live on TV. I'm sure internally she was thinking "Kill me now".

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The problem is that then it would mean to recognized that he was never a billionaire...not even half billionaire. Too much for his ego and also the image that he cultivated among his MAGAbonkers
Who knows as there as smoke and mirrors are involved. Even the vast sums he got from his father look like they were dodgily done, with shares sold to him by his father well below purchase price (and presumably value) and then his father using the loss as a tax write off.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
The courts are trying their hardest - unless you meant a literal Lee Harvey Oswald
Really? You must live in a parallel universe then. The courts doing everything to postpone his cases until after the election.

It's a joke that he hasn't been trialed for January 6th and Georgia interference in more than 3 years. Absolute joke!

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Really? You must live in a parallel universe then. The courts doing everything to postpone his cases until after the election.

It's a joke that he hasn't been trialed for January 6th and Georgia interference in more than 3 years. Absolute joke!
Correct.

Infra-red

Indeed. A colossal amount of time has been wasted and now these trials are all happening on the eve of the election. If he is re-elected, all of his legal troubles evaporate overnight.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Why did it take so long to appoint Jack Smith is the first question I would ask if I was a citizen.
Why aren't more of Trump's co-conspirators facing charges? You know, Jim Jordan, MTG, Matt Gaetz et al.
Why wasn't Trump prosecuted as soon as he left office for Obstruction of Justice as identified by Mueller?
Why is he on bail?
If it doesn't stink it certainly smells bad .

Simbo

What? Injecting bleach was a bad idea? :)

Poor Deborah Brix, asked utterly stupid things by the POTUS live on TV. I'm sure internally she was thinking "Kill me now".
I find it surprising the question never seems to be asked of how many American lives were cut short due to his mis/non-handling of Covid.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I find it surprising the question never seems to be asked of how many American lives were cut short due to his mis/non-handling of Covid.
I believe the estimate total unnecessary covid deaths in the US has been estimated at over 230,000.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
How do some people dare to not only know and apply the law that is the basis of both the entire representative democracy and their jobs, but to actually try and enforce it. The nerve.

Suedesi

True. He should have been charged right away, not during a bitter election campaign.

The Purley King

I worked for a few years in debt recovery mostly on vehicles that people weren’t paying for on finance agreements.
What you wrote was exactly my experience.
Someone owes £25k on a car, isn’t paying the monthly payments, it is seized, goes to auction, sells for £17k and that person is still liable for the other £8k.
Will be interesting to see how it all plays out but if trump is highly leveraged he could be in deep shit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
True. He should have been charged right away, not during a bitter election campaign.
Why ? He has no special right to break the law and not be prosecuted for it, irrespective of his Presidential campaign and his obvious attempts to use it to delay and run out the clock.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I mean, the normal bunch already know it's a lot and there'd be cries of witchhunt if they said anything but the MAGA bunch don't care or don't believe it was real so it doesn't really matter.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Someone who’s better with US politics than me (could be anyone really)….

What’s Trumps position on China? We know he’s a lot cosier to/compromised by Russia….but will he will the American military and naval might away from Taiwan?