5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL21

Some very good tackles and lots of opportunities to play safe but chose to try crisp forward passes. Quality is there just needs the confidence from game time

SemiPro

I thought he was really poor tonight. Too haphazard with his passing and was all over the place positionally in defense.

Didn’t help that he was paired with Mata but he hasn’t done himself any favours.

kundalini

Gifted Young Boys the chance for their goal. Made plently of tackles and interceptions. Passing was ok.

Never understood the hype about Donny, especially in terms of central midfield. Bewildered by the idea that he should be a starter.

crossy1686

career ending
I've never seen a player that has had as many excuses for them as van de Beek has in his time for us. Especially with his ratio of 'good' to 'average' games.
He's not good enough to start for us, don't even know what he can offer coming off the bench either. You would hope in a system he is a better player but I'm just not convinced he can do it outside of Ajax.

arnie_ni

74 passes, 83.8% accuracy, 92 touches

Most passes, most touches, our biggest ball winner by far

Basically a Fred performance. All pretty good without being very impactful going forward and made a mistake
So for comparison, mct had 30 something touches against Palace?

Hes definitely a lot more involved and I would give him 3 to 5 games starting alongside Fred.

If he doesn't show promise ship him off in January.

Sviken

I don't know what people expected. He was playing in midfield alone and he was easily our third best player aside from Baily and Greenwood. Actively wanted the ball, spread the passes, broke play. Had a shitty mistake in that goal, but other than that he was decent. Certainly better than McTominay whose hiding every game. DVB-Fred should be the midfield to go.
I still don't think he's had his fair shot but it feels like he hasn't taken 90% of the opportunities he's been given to shine.

I still think he has something to give but its becoming more difficult to see it working out for him.
What opportunities has he been given though? He's impressed this season. This game was not his best, but it was still an adequate performance considering the circumstances. He needs a run of games. It's not like he would be displacing prime Zidane in midfield anyway.

Litch

It was his chance and whilst the line up didnt help, he made the error which lead to the goal. That is what will be remembered about the performance......

zurnalist

Sorry, I would like to love him but ive seen him play well maybe twice during his career here. Yes, his game time is very limited but he has like 30+ caps in total by now?

Today, the midfield wasnt just functional so he can be forgiven, but i think every fan should be worried about him under Rangnick as well...

Bobski

74 passes, 83.8% accuracy, 92 touches

Most passes, most touches, our biggest ball winner by far

Basically a Fred performance. All pretty good without being very impactful going forward and made a mistake
That Fred would be criticised for with most agreeing he needed to be upgraded.

Djemba-Djemba

I thought he was pretty good until his error for their goal.

He went to bits though afterwards and he was awful 2nd half, although to be fair the entire team was bad 2nd half.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I just don't think he has a future here. He's not quite good enough in the tackle or defensively to play deeper, and his lack of any sort of pace or physicality means he has to play with other technical passers that can feed him 1-2's.

He's a good footballer in general terms, but it's clear his effectiveness comes in tight spaces in the final third which just isn't useful for us.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
There's always an excuse for Van de Beek it seems, the truth is he's never looked top drawer for us. Please don't talk to me about Watford, cos they've been spanked by everyone they've played lately besides us.

Just like in the League Cup against West Ham, he made a costly defensive mistake today. If Fred or McTominay did that we'd savage them, we'd be right to as well.

MetoTTT

I don't know what people expected. He was playing in midfield alone and he was easily our third best player aside from Baily and Greenwood. Actively wanted the ball, spread the passes, broke play. Had a shitty mistake in that goal, but other than that he was decent. Certainly better than McTominay whose hiding every game. DVB-Fred should be the midfield to go.

What opportunities has he been given though? He's impressed this season. This game was not his best, but it was still an adequate performance considering the circumstances. He needs a run of games. It's not like he would be displacing prime Zidane in midfield anyway.
Agreed.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Barring their goal, it was a good first half (though I think AWB was equally culpable). Faded in the second. Looked like he was playing as a 6 all on his own, rather than a double pivot. I don't think we have a single player in the squad capable of playing that position, but certainly not him.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s pretty average. As a number 6 anyway. Hopefully this conversation can be put to bed now.

Was he giving Ralf Rangnick lip as well? If so, then I hope he likes watching from the stands.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Outside of Watford away, when has he really impressed? He had a moment against Newcastle but not done much else.

Last season it was more or less the same. He's been under utilised and so I think he deserves more opportunities but the way people go on about him versus how he's actually played are miles apart.

I have no agenda against him and I want him to do well but I have to be realistic about what I've seen these last 18 months.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bad mistake for the goal but that can happen to anyone really. Passing was okay. Generally meh otherwise.

DarkXaero

Poor tonight but not a good game to judge him from, given what was around him and the general lack of urgency for us, given the CL group context.

united for life

Not the position for him. Was far too deep most of the match. Can’t judge today. I still hope to see him play next to Fred.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Matic for 60 mins and Pogba for the other 30 is our best DM. Donny's bang average, which is still slightly better than McT, because the ball isn't his enemy.

If he doesnt want to be a rotational option (including in a more attacking role), he needs to piss off.

midou

I thought he was alright, played decent amount of forward passes, a bit poor in defense.

Would like to see him in the place of McTominay at least for 1 full game.

Oranges038

Quite a low bar, isn’t it? One is almost out of the club and the second is 100 years old.
Yeah it's sad. I've always wanted to see more of him. But he didn't do himself any favours at all with the goal and his general play.

Maybe he could do with a run of games to really find his feet or maybe he actually really is shite.

Litch

He needs more than adequate though. Despite the circumstance, just like the young players, thats an audition. He does not dislodge Mct or Fred based on that performance.

oreon

The biggest area of need is in CM and he's not the solution there. His best in the Bruno position but he's not good enough to displace Bruno. This is just a matter of fit. He can do a well in another team that will allow to play that AM role. And UTD should go out and buy a proper holding midfielder. In Rangnick system you need someone with more high energy who can cover a lot ground. Donny isn't that.

Hoof the ball

Confirmation bias reigns supreme. But for that one poor pass that led to a screamer of a long-range finish, he barely mis-placed a pass, wasn't caught on the ball and certainly wasn't shoved off the ball (ahem, Mata).

I don't buy into this escalating consensus that VbB somehow was poor.

He got the ball, moved it forward. Of all the players in midfield he was the least who played square passes. He slotted it between lines, and players receiving it with their back to goal kept returning the pass back instead of progressing the ball forward.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Did ok, poor to give the ball away for their goal but mostly pretty reliable. Still needs to be a bit more assertive though, closing down quicker, wanting to be on the ball more.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Playing a double pivot with Mata and getting criticised….

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Except for the goal, which was a combined three man mistake, I think Donny did ok as a single holding midfielder with Mata jogging out of retirement next to him.

Its not easy for any of the players to perform when all of them are new to the situation, position or rusty. Wan Bissaka should obviously done better; that´s disappointment.

But no one expected this team to look robust, or? And we always knew the level would drop in second when players got tired and the youngsters came on. We should also have scored once or twice more and the 1-1-goal was avoidible. Then it would have looked slightly different.

I think Shoretire was maybe the most underwhelming among the youngster. Sure Elanga was to anonymous but had some tendencies to at least keeping it together on this level. Amad has a lot of talent but some obvious blank spots to his game. Decision making, too many touches and not yet robust enough. IF he can develop that his profile abilities makes it possible for him to achieve something in the game.

United´s passing was awful. Lingards positioning impossible to get a grip of.

Last edited:

JG3001

so people still want McTominay to start ahead of him I assume?

don’t get me wrong, I think we need a new midfielder full stop, but given our limited options, I’m a bit surprised he’s lowest in the pecking order for the caf

lilcurt

I hope he goes out on loan to a PL club (Newcastle?)

I'd love to see him after playing 5 or 6 consecutive games but just don't think that will happen at United. I suspect he isn't mobile enough for what we need but not convinced he should be written off.

acnumber9

He’s attained a cult status for being shite that sees him getting a considerably easier ride than players who have played much better for United than he has.

Litch

That Fred would be criticised for with most agreeing he needed to be upgraded.
If Donny had the games that Fred has done recently, people would be saying Fred has played his last game for Utd....

Bobski

I thought he was alright, played decent amount of forward passes, a bit poor in defense.

Would like to see him in the place of McTominay at least for 1 full game.
Fred and Donny would not work. Fred is best when he can chase the ball and move forward, play him with Donny and he is forced to sit where he is a lesser player. Donny can't play deep against any decent side, poor positional sense defensively and a seems to have little range to his passing.

He is just not that good, certainly not good enough to change system to accommodate.

kidbob

I agree with all of you that are intelligent and in touch with modern football, nay, not just modern football but the sport in general. I can’t believe that a player brought into this wonderful club and plucked gracefully from the shackles that is Ajax after fluking their way to a Champions League semi final would be so arrogant.

I mean he’s played every game for us since that transfer and has been absolutely shite. Not only that but he has kept such fan favourites as Fred and McTominay out of the team while doing so. I know that the rest of the real intellectual football supporters know that midfield is the strongest part of our team.

Now onto tonight. I simply can’t believe that he lost us a place in the Champions League while managed by our new coach that can improve a team in 2 hours, and while playing with our strongest starting 11 in such a big game. He kept making this terrible midfield mistake of showing for the ball and trying to dictate the game. This lead him to make a mistake leading to their goal. Any proper football fan knows that midfielders should never be available for a pass.

Like you I understand football to a huge extent and know already that DVB has been given the exact platform that he needs to be able to prove himself. Also I know that his failure has moved the smartest of our supporters on from Eric Ten Haag. How can he manage United when he can’t manage to see that Donny is such a shit player.

Oh and like you I think all of our young players that play in their first proper senior match are terrible too.

I only wish to find a time when the club board is smart enough to appoint the top RedCafe posters to run the team, then we will be surely certain of glory.

I’m so grateful that the match day threads exist on Recafe and a little bird told me that Pep himself often looks there for knowledge.

You are all a bunch of knee-jerk pricks and to the guy that is asking why the crowd still sings Ole’s name then maybe go back and watch the 99 CL final. Seriously during a match this place is like an audition for who is the dumbest person that ever lived. Well done you all tied for first place.

Apparently Rome wasn't built in a day but now I realise that all they were lacking was this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.