g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Donny van de Beek image 34

Donny van de Beek Netherlands flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Needs the club to make him available for transfer which they haven't. You want him to put in a transfer request?
I get some of the Ajax fans on here being fans of his, but if you're a United supporter, you want a strong bench/squad. Why keep ranting on about "should leave for his own career". Telles isn't doing his career any favors either by sitting on our bench. Donny isn't sulking which is perfect for a squad player.

Yes, I think 40m was too much for a backup player, and I'm sure there were plans to use him more, but we're past that. Ole can't/wont use him without injuries, similarly to Telles.

He should move for his own career no doubt, but his career isn't my concern. I'm a fan of the Dutch NT too, but I think Gravenberch or Propper are better in the pivot than him and Klaassen/Til aren't far off as Wijnaldum's backup.

The only reason I would want him to leave is if he had a bad influence on the team or if the fee was high enough for us to get a better player. It has to benefit Manchester United, not van de bench.

Devil81

We could be 7 nil up and Ole wouldn't bring him on.

I think we will look to loan him out so he can hopefully rebuild his reputation and we can regain some of the transfer fee we paid for him. Currently I doubt we'd get anywhere near what we paid.

Pronewbie

Peep
Needs the club to make him available for transfer which they haven't. You want him to put in a transfer request?
That's his call, really. As a fan of the club I find the entire situation somewhat strange. Wouldn't mind him leaving if we can get a replacement the manager will actually play.

MadMike

I get some of the Ajax fans on here being fans of his, but if you're a United supporter, you want a strong bench/squad. Why keep ranting on about "should leave for his own career". Telles isn't doing his career any favors either by sitting on our bench. Donny isn't sulking which is perfect for a squad player.

Yes, I think 40m was too much for a backup player, and I'm sure there were plans to use him more, but we're past that. Ole can't/wont use him without injuries, similarly to Telles.

He should move for his own career no doubt, but his career isn't my concern. I'm a fan of the Dutch NT too, but I think Gravenberch or Propper are better in the pivot than him and Klaassen/Til aren't far off as Wijnaldum's backup.

The only reason I would want him to leave is if he had a bad influence on the team or if the fee was high enough for us to get a better player. It has to benefit Manchester United, not van de bench.
There's no strong bench if the players on the bench are not deemed strong enough to ever play. It's an oxymoron.

The bench is strong when you feel you can rotate your starting players with your bench, to prevent exhaustion of the players before the season ends. I expect Fred and Bruno to start every PL and CL game like last year and to burn out instead of rotating with VdB. Which, you know, would be a demonstration of a strong bench.

binary bot

You've got to question his usefulness as a squad player if he can't contribute anything to the feeble performances we've seen in the last 2 games.

Pronewbie

Peep
There's no strong bench if the players on the bench are not deemed strong enough to ever play. It's an oxymoron.

The bench is strong when you feel you can rotate your starting players with your bench, to prevent exhaustion of the players before the season ends. I expect Fred and Bruno to start every PL and CL game like last year and to burn out instead of rotating with VdB. Which, you know, would be a demonstration of a strong bench.
This I agree. We're always burning out our key players at the tail end when it really matters. We've got our attack and most of our defence sorted, midfield is really where we need to improve.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think its a disgrace whats happening to the player. He must be so upset. Not getting the slightest look in when utter shit shows are unfolding on the field.
Ole is not doing right by him by not moving him on if hes not going to play him at all. Which he clearly isnt

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If he’s not going to play at all then we may as well just cut out losses and get rid if there’s any half decent offers made.

Bwuk

He needs to go. It’s just not worked. He’s not been great when he’s played, but he’s not been given an opportunity either.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

That's fair enough, but it's just one way of looking at it. The other is, he's an overpriced Lingard/Pereira upgrade in midfield.

What's VDB worth now, 20-25 million? he's probably on the same salary as Lingard on a longer deal. Doesn't make sense to sell VDB, which is why the club isn't pushing for it as long he's not forcing a move. I'm sure there were hopes that he'd have a more prominent role, but that's in the past. Sunken cost fallacy and all that.

I'm disappointed too, but I'm not surprised Ajax's 5th best player can't get into our first team. I would have liked to see him get more chances by now. Me not rating VDB much and thinking he deserves a fair chance and could be a useful squad player aren't mutually exclusive. I don't buy the "have to earn every minute nonsense" (and neither does Scholes). By that logic Sancho shouldn't play 'till the next cup.

Castia

I’d understand if we had a solid midfield and he just couldn’t brake through but the midfield has been a problem for years now hence the reason we spent 40m on him.

There‘s players in this team who get chance after chance namely Fred, James, Lingard and McTominay who all more often than not disappoint yet they keep getting picked. Donny never gets a chance and when he finally does it’s one appearance in 6 weeks usually in a 75th minute cameo.

Absolutely bizarre.

Okey

I wonder if there are really takers out there for him, or it's just rumours. Cos if there are, it's baffling why we wouldn't just move him on and get a midfielder we would actually use. For both his sake and ours. Sometimes, things don't just work out. It's a fact of life.

lex talionis

Tragedy has become farce. There’s is nothing to be gained for anyone by rotting Donny on the bench for a second season.

Abraxas

I truly thought he would get a game today after the Southampton debacle. It felt like a moment where he was in with a sniff. Talk about naïve!

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He showed nothing to deserve such status of being all of a sudden better than our options. As bad as Fred was in the first half he's still twice player Donny is as a midfielder. This would definitely not be the right game to use him in a tempo like this. Second half we recovered well and both Pogba and Fred dictated the game, there was no reason why to send him on. We scored 10 minutes before the end, then I can imagine it was a chance to tighten things in midfield but Ole decided for Dalot for the last 10 minutes. Last time DvB played in a competitive game he played a lot of short sideways and backward passes, putting other players under unnecessary pressure. He's not a dribbler either, showed very little ability to drive with the ball forward and take responsibility and pressure of us nor create anything extra. If Ole said he would use him he will. There will be a better game for him to start, in a cup game but then he should get out of his shell where he often when gotten a chance went to. Now stop crying here and support United not a player who is taking quite some time to settle. If he was good enough he would already play.

Tibs

He should hand in a transfer request and leave. I'm sure we would all wish him well.

Winrar

I wonder if he's going to get regular game time here any time soon.

If not it would be best for his career to move on.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Should move on but credit to him so far for appearing professional about the situation.

In his appearances he's not really set the world ablaze and people tend to overrate the players who aren't playing.

mu4c_20le

Cavani and Martial came on when we needed a goal, then Dalot to shore things up in the end. I'm sure he'll understand. Had the game been comfortable and we're two three up then he would've came on.

Tee27

I don’t get why he never has or gets any chances and I know people will say when he’s had his chances he hasn’t performed too. However, alot of the games he has played in he’s played when we field a weaker team so it is any wonder he hasn’t performed?

He’s not the type of player to take the game by the scruff of the neck but this is a player who put in a worldie against a midfield of kroos, modric and Casemiro so surely has something about him. OGS treatment of him is just plain baffling.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Back To Madeira

He will get starts. Against Young Boys.

Who am I kidding, he'll come on in the 88th minute when we're 3 goals up.

MadMike

Tragedy has become farce. There’s is nothing to be gained for anyone by rotting Donny on the bench for a second season.
Pretty much this. It’s just a farce now.

For the CM role he is behind Fred, McT and Pogba and for the AM role behind Bruno, Lingard and who knows who else. There’s no prospect of him getting any game time any time soon and that’s with one of our CMs injured. There’s literally nothing to be gained by continuing this situation.

Just put him on the transfer market and use any funds we bring in to buy a CDM which is what we actually need the most anyways.

Andersonson

Imagine Ole playing Donny tonight.

He would play a couple of one-two's and run upfront leaving the entire midfield unprotected.

This wasnt a game for Donny. And tbf not many games are unless he has taken steps. He wasnt very good last season.

Relem

Gutted for Donny today. I thought he was gonna start. But no. Started dan James instead

lilcurt

Cavani and Martial came on when we needed a goal, then Dalot to shore things up in the end. I'm sure he'll understand. Had the game been comfortable and we're two three up then he would've came on.
Like he did against Leeds???

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

He would play a couple of one-two's and run upfront leaving the entire midfield unprotected.

This wasnt a game for Donny. And tbf not many games are unless he has taken steps. He wasnt very good last season.
Finally someone gets it. We would have been so open with him in midfield. We simply don't play the style of football that suits him. That much is obvious to everyone, so lord knows why Ole is dithering instead of just selling him at this point.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don’t get why he never has or gets any chances and I know people will say when he’s had his chances he hasn’t performed too. However, alot of the games he has played in he’s played when we field a weaker team so it is any wonder he hasn’t performed?

He’s not the type of player to take the game by the scruff of the neck but this is a player who put in a worldie against a midfield of kroos, modric and Casemiro so surely has something about him. OGS treatment of him is just plain baffling.

How is this a worldie?

His dribbling and passing ability is very limited. He's smart around the box, works hard and can defend a bit. I've seen him put in better performances, like against Spain and Italy last year (ironically, after we bought him). But even in those, it's a lot of backwards passing and the highlights are the tap ins for the goals.

That clip reminded me he played together with Tadic, so he was Ajax's 6th best player behind De Jong, De Ligt, Ziyech, Onana and Tadic.

sp_107

Not sure if OLE really wanted him in the first place buti l like Donnys professionalism about handling this whole situation

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

This, one hundred percent! He would have done nothing to help keep possession and remain disciplined. Fred would have been even more on his own, at least Pogba eventually recognised he had to stay with his partner and pinged balls from deep, which did help us win eventually.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Finally someone gets it. We would have been so open with him in midfield. We simply don't play the style of football that suits him. That much is obvious to everyone, so lord knows why Ole is dithering instead of just selling him at this point.
We haven't got anyone other than Pogba, McTominay, Matic and Fred who can step in. Until we sign a midfielder (if we do for this window) he'll remain as emergency back up.

Silas

I kinda hope he pushes for a move. Might force us to actually get some money for him before his value hits zero.

lex talionis

Some of you make it sound as though Donny is barely fit enough to play in the paralympics, lucky to be fitted into the wheelchair itself before going spastic at the idea of a football coming his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.