Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The most exciting development is that I can remember most of his passes being progressive, which is a far cry from the safe, side ways passing he was doing in his other appearances. The long ball that released Greenwood was quality. There is scope for him to be developed into a more metronomic midfielder with adequate time and effort.

Gandalf

Or you could argue he showed great awareness because he actually tried to get in on the man the pass was intended for and who likely would have had a tap In because lindelof had to leave him.

Don't be results orientated. If there was no deflection the ball goes nowhere near lanzini
Not so much results orientated but he was with Lanzini on an island and ran blindly towards the goal where two other Manchester United players were already engaged. He was not going to get there in time to make a difference and he left an opposition attacker alone in acres of space in the box, it is the definition of poor situational awareness. I am not trying to bury him though, Telles, Lindelof and Matic all played their part and frankly Henderson could have done better too. Outside of this incident I thought Donny played well and he deserves a few opportunities alongside Scott in the PL as Fred is bang out of form at the moment.

captaincantona

He wasn't great. But it was one of the very few times he's played and been involved enough in the game, for the watching fans
Harsh to judge the guy on his first 90 minutes in literally months, in a midfield and a team that has never played together before, in a position he has not played in at club level with any real consistency and having not really had any game rhythm in 18months.

The question should be, had he of been given consistent game time last season to adapt to the league in the same way Fred has been given-how do you think he would be playing? I personally think we could have not only a valuable squad player but a real impactful player on our hands right now.

Despite the above, what impressed me most was his constant talking and direction to team mates showing proper character; when he lost the ball he immediately tried to recover; he was always available; unlike Fred or McTominay- his second touch was rarely a tackle. He takes the ball in well, is calm and retains possession; that time he drove forward and gave the lazy fukers in front of him a bollocking for not giving him options showed that he is confident within the group. While the performance was decent overall- considering the mitigating circumstances - I could see him improving significantly if given 4/5 games in a first choice team.

all in all, I think he should be given the type of time Fred was given. Forget the mistakes and persevere-he needs more consistent minutes. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

The Uncle of All Uncles

He really put in an effort last night. He was trying to play it forward as much as possible, none of the 'passing it straight back where it came from' that he relied upon last year. That's good to see.

He strikes me as someone who could be an improvement upon Fred, which bodes well for the current season. Whether he'll be elite or not though, that's the question. It doesn't look like it right now, but I'd like to see him gradually (or sooner, perhaps) replace Fred in the starting 11 over the next few months.

lex talionis

Donny should be given the Fred role at least for a match or two and assess what he gives the first team. Yes, of course he’s more a natural 10 than a 6 but as we hold possession over a parked bus Donny can creep up and find those pockets of space to create scoring chances.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Some sliding tackles he made were spot on. Won't get carried away, but since we won't see new faces in midfield soon, good to have him & Mejbri trying make their way with some sort of effort.

Marcus

Play him with McTominay. If he fails he fails. But I think they would combine well in the centre of midfield.

izec

He hasn't got the defensive awareness, but that is not surprising. When was the last time he played a lot and played a lot in central midfield? You would have to go back to Ajax reserve games i bet to see him in CM/DM consistently. It isn't his natural game. He either develops it with time or we let him go, simples. He wont play a lot at the 10 position.

Considering the circumstances, that was good. But if he sits on the bench the next 10 games, this was worthless. He will never kick on his career here.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Matic was at fault for what happened after Telles was beaten. Lindelof was in a position to step out and Donny took over his zone. Matic should've been on the guy who the ball deflected towards or he should have been the one in the box so Donny can pick up that man.
He hasn't got the defensive awareness, but that is not surprising. When was the last time he played a lot and played a lot in central midfield? You would have to go back to Ajax reserve games i bet to see him in CM/DM consistently. It isn't his natural game. He either develops it with time or we let him go, simples. He wont play a lot at the 10 position.

Considering the circumstances, that was good. But if he sits on the bench the next 10 games, this was worthless. He will never kick on his career here.
No he played in the double pivot in his last season after De Jong left, also he played there whenever Ziyech was the no 10. There wasn't anything in this game that showed he lacked "defensive awareness", unlike in the Everton pre season game where he lost his man and was caught ball watching.

yipthatman

Agree. Lingard has already shown his value from the bench too. The saddest thing about yesterday's loss, is we probably won't see many of those squad players again unless of injuries. Ole desperately needs a trophy and can't see him playing a weaker team from this moment on. Tried it with Young Boys and last night, two losses....
To be fair its because most of them are just not good enough to be any where near first choice on current form and I include VDB. He has had more than enough time to get sharp and is definitely improving. Some of his passing was good but overall he was average and to me and looked lost when it really mattered.

The only one I see tying down a first team regular spot from the initial 11 last night is Sancho. Most of them are nice option if really needed to fill a gap if we have an injury but changing the whole team or most of it to the second string was a bit mental.

I could also be considered mental as I think Martial is way more naturally gifted than VDB of the players that Ole sent out last night. I just think he cant handle not being the main man and downs tools too easily (Seemingly since Rashford took over him on total goal count).

I really want VDB to succeed because everyone raves about how good he is, I personally haven't really seen this and I just don't see it happening for him at United. He has had a lot of chances compared to other up and coming talent and its up to him to utilise those chances to tie down a regular spot by impressing the manager. I think he will be sold in the future and a better player will come in or be brought through from the academy. Who knows.

Last edited:

Litch

To be fair its because most of them are just not good enough to be any where near first choice on current form and I include VDB. He has had more than enough time to get sharp and is definitely improving. Some of his passing was good but overall he was average and to me and looked lost when it really mattered.

The only one I see tying down a first team regular spot from the initial 11 last night is Sancho. Most of them are nice option if really needed to fill a gap if we have an injury but changing the whole team or most of it to the second string was a bit mental.

I could also be considered mental as I think Martial is way more naturally gifted than VDB of the players that Ole sent out last night. I just think he cant handle not being the main man and downs tools too easily (Seemingly since Rashford took over him on total goal count).

I really want VDB to succeed because everyone raves about how good he is, I personally haven't really seen this and I just don't see it happening for him at United. He has had a lot of chances compared to other up and coming talent and its up to him to utilise those chances to tie down a regular spot by impressing the manager. I think he will be sold in the future and a better player will come in or be brought through from the academy. Who knows.
Maybe. I'm only basing it on what happened to date rather than what so of the fans think. If Pogs has been benched previously instead of McFred, what's Donny's chances. Why would he start experimenting now in such an important season?

Fluctuation0161

I like VDB and want him to succeed but he has a long way to go yet. Even he looked guilty after that goal went in. He knows it and we know it. It was his man that scored, for sure. If this was Fred there would be loads of abuse and hate. Mistakes happen, just one of those things but I don't know why people sugar coat it for VDB.
Same.

Strange **** around him. I think it is still worth trying him instead of Fred though!

Fluctuation0161

No, what @Adnan says is correct:

VDB was not at fault for the goal. His decision to get in the box was a good one so Lindelof can step out and make it a 1v1 for the guy that beat Telles. It's Matic's man that scored. Or he should have gotten in the box so Donny could stick to that guy.

He played a really good game, precisely because he was solid all round and wasn't culpable for the goal.
OK VanDeBank... no bias at all. :lol:

GMoore23

I seen enough last night that I'd definitely be starting him in Home games from now on alongside McTominay, he may be a bit of a liability for away games yet.

Bobski

First time he has looked capable of making an impact. Not outstanding by any means but he was involved and showed some presence in his game for almost the first time at Utd.

The goal is poor though, whatever anyone else does or the fortune of the deflection, his decision making is poor, runs off his man, leaves him in a huge space, going into an area where he can't make a difference. Yes it was lucky the ball ended up where it did, but it was still a poor decision.

Litch

Honestly I doubt he is worse than Fred
I agree. What's Fred achieved since he's been here? So playing Donny will get us from 2nd to winning the Prem, turn semi's into finals or finals into trophies? None of that is solely down to him as that would be laughtable but he played more games than any of the other midfielders. Scott, Mata and Pogs have all been out injured for periods.

Gonçalo Motta

I don't get it. He seems to be an obvious upgrade to Fred at the moment, so why keeping on the bench?

I liked what I saw from him vs West Ham. I don't understand why Olé insists on using him as a bench warmer

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No, what @Adnan says is correct:

VDB was not at fault for the goal. His decision to get in the box was a good one so Lindelof can step out and make it a 1v1 for the guy that beat Telles. It's Matic's man that scored. Or he should have gotten in the box so Donny could stick to that guy.

He played a really good game, precisely because he was solid all round and wasn't culpable for the goal.
People in here are blaming him for not reading the deflection off Lindelof or were completely unaware the pass from Frederiks was deflected towards Lanzini.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't get it. He seems to be an obvious upgrade to Fred at the moment, so why keeping on the bench?

I liked what I saw from him vs West Ham. I don't understand why Olé insists on using him as a bench warmer
Obvious improvement? He played ok but he's hardly Roy Keane is he?

Devil81

I heard so many in the stadium saying Donny was playing well at half time, well if that's Donny playing well it's finally confirmed he's not the required standard.

Doesn't seem to have anything other than the basics in his locker, put the ball into his feet in a congested area and he hasn't got a clue what to do with the ball. I don't see a player that can spread play very well or burst forward with the ball either.

He was far from our worst player last night but anyone claiming he played well have seriously lowered their standard of what's acceptable of a United player.

Ole leaving him out has been spot on for me now.

JPB

He's absolutely invisible every single game. he's on the bench for a fecking reason. you guys need to wake up.

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
Same.

Strange **** around him. I think it is still worth trying him instead of Fred though!
I agree with this but somehow feel there's a lot of people here that haven't seen him when he played for Ajax and there's a bunch of people that followed him at Ajax (like me) and knows what he is capable of.
Somehow I do feel like he will end up as another Kagawa, which was a player I also liked very much.

Sviken

I heard so many in the stadium saying Donny was playing well at half time, well if that's Donny playing well it's finally confirmed he's not the required standard.

Doesn't seem to have anything other than the basics in his locker, put the ball into his feet in a congested area and he hasn't got a clue what to do with the ball. I don't see a player that can spread play very well or burst forward with the ball either.

He was far from our worst player last night but anyone claiming he played well have seriously lowered their standard of what's acceptable of a United player.

Maybe the basics is what we need at the moment since Fred doesn't even have the basics down? It's unlikely that Donny will ever be a world beater, but is he a better option than Fred? Absolutely. This is the first time in a long time that I felt that United solely controlled the game. We didn't have the cutting edge upfront for obvious reasons, but generally at no point did I felt that West Ham were threatening, unlike last week, or the Young Boys game or the Newcastle game or the Wolves game or etc. At the moment all we need is a midfielder that can throw a simple pass and recycle possession. It's not like Fred offers us anything as an attacking threat either. And defensively he is just as woeful, perhaps even more. But what Donny has over Fred is that unlike Fred, he doesn't misplace every second pass resulting in dangerous counter-attacks for the opposing team.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
OK VanDeBank... no bias at all. :lol:
I don't really rate him, but I thought he played well. Van de bank = From the bench, hardly a term of endearment.

So which function was Matic performing for the goal? You obviously think VDB (besides Telles) is at fault for it. Enlighten us.

Fluctuation0161

I don't really rate him, but I thought he played well. Van de bank = From the bench, hardly a term of endearment.

So which function was Matic performing for the goal? You obviously think VDB (besides Telles) is at fault for it. Enlighten us.
This is the VDB thread. And he was partly to blame for conceding the goal. He left his man. I don't believe it is that controversial. Regardless of any Matic analysis.

lex talionis

Hilarious to read so many posters slagging Van de Beek, who was actually very good last night. No, he'll never be at Bruno's or Pogba's level -- they're both arguably the best on on the planet in their positions -- but if either were to go down for a month or two I have no doubt Donny would fill in nicely.

But whether he can handle partnering with McTominay in the double pivot remains to be seen. It's worth giving it a try as Fred has been abysmal so far this season.

captaincantona

I posted in here earlier about this type of opinion...he was playing in a midfield and team that has never played together before...it was his first 90 minutes in god knows how long...he had no match rhythm at all...he also had some seriously poor performances in front of him to aim at in all fairness. So while he didn’t set the world alight...you can’t use that 90 minute sample to make a judgement either for or against...and considering the mitigating factors highlighted above...I certainly wouldn’t say Ole was right leaving him out...if anything, we need to find out once and for all whether he fits!

yipthatman

Hilarious to read so many posters slagging Van de Beek, who was actually very good last night. No, he'll never be at Bruno's or Pogba's level -- they're both arguably the best on on the planet in their positions -- but if either were to go down for a month or two I have no doubt Donny would fill in nicely.

But whether he can handle partnering with McTominay in the double pivot remains to be seen. It's worth giving it a try as Fred has been abysmal so far this season.
Was anyone even 'very good' last night? I'm genuinely confused as to what I am missing.

Devil81

Maybe the basics is what we need at the moment since Fred doesn't even have the basics down? It's unlikely that Donny will ever be a world beater, but is he a better option than Fred? Absolutely. This is the first time in a long time that I felt that United solely controlled the game. We didn't have the cutting edge upfront for obvious reasons, but generally at no point did I felt that West Ham were threatening, unlike last week, or the Young Boys game or the Newcastle game or the Wolves game or etc. At the moment all we need is a midfielder that can throw a simple pass and recycle possession. It's not like Fred offers us anything as an attacking threat either. And defensively he is just as woeful, perhaps even more. But what Donny has over Fred is that unlike Fred, he doesn't misplace every second pass resulting in dangerous counter-attacks for the opposing team.
Both have weaknesses, Fred covers far more ground and adds energy around the field but yes his passing is simply unacceptable.

Donny doesn't offer as much energy around the field but he does pass the ball better. I agree we should at least give him a few games alongside Mctomminey.

Still think United should be going for better.

clarkydaz

Seeing as he only has the basics in his locker what did you think of his pass to Greenwood soon as he came on

Trex

Donny and Sancho came from sides that play short intricate passes with constant movement, compared to our more direct approach, they're both city type players but I hope to see us transition to that kind of football.

432JuanMata

Donny and Sancho came from sides that play short intricate passes with constant movement, compared to our more direct approach, they're both city type players but I hope to see us transition to that kind of football.
This is it especially with Sancho. I watched him at Dortmund quite a bit and they up the tempo with short 1-2 in the final 3rd and he trived. But still he was good for taking on his man and seems afraid to do that here same as VDB with forward passes he seems scared

jesperjaap

Is that an impression you got after this game? I'm asking because my observations are exactly the opposite, he takes very good positions to receive a pass and circulate the ball, what is probably his biggest strength. Not once yesterday I saw him taking himself out of the game, he was heavily involved all game.
That is why I wrote it yes. His only good movement for me is moving into the channels to support the wingers or full back around the area. Its all opinions but if you didnt once himself take himself out of the game moving into a corner you must have been watching a different game. I have seen him do it in other games too.

I am not saying its constantly bad, there were times he moved in to space and was ignored as well.

Fof me I just see a slightly different version of Danny Blind in midfield with VDB. Lazy comparison maybe, I think it was Blinds best position for us as he didnt have the strength or pace to play lb or cb in the premier league. I thought he was decent in midfield, actually much mor eintelligent than VDB but not so good on the ball. But I see them as similar in that they are both neat and tidy on the ball but dont actually offer a huge amount more than that.

Does he offer more than Fred, maybe, but neither player are the answer whatsoever for us in my opinion. Cant believe we didnt address that area in the summer, for me it was actually the most important. Found it laughable people talkign about signing a quality centre back will allow more freedom for the central midfielders and maybe no pivot....utter twaddle, it just improves tha back four. All that is improved in front of it from signing Varane is that he is more composed on the ball for the midfielders to move in to space and take it shorter against a press. Pogba maybe benefits ever so slightly but it doesnt improve the abilities of the midfielders to shield the back four and our current options simply arent good enough at that and they arent good enough with the ball either and that inclides VDB

Status
Not open for further replies.