5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

He should start ahead of Pogba every time. I know they're different and Pogba is probably more talented, but VdB actually wants to be here and prove himself.

I'm of the opinion that we should have sold Pogba years ago and that it's just not worked, but yesterday cemented my desire to never see him play for this club again.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Surely will be starting for whoever comes in next at least to give him a chance. I'm all for whatever the next manager decides to do with regards to the lineup, don't really give a shit who starts at this point although I'd love to relegate Maguire's useless self to the bench.

Ollie Derbyshire

McTominay has a better sliding tackle and has a bit more pace and height on him. In contrast with VDB who can pass and the read the game to some extent.

Here's what Ole had to say about giving VDB a chance:
McTominay has no pace, or if he has he refuses to use it most the time, and sliding tackle, when does he pull those out?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
McTominay has no pace, or if he has he refuses to use it most the time, and sliding tackle, when does he pull those out?
You're right, he's fairly slow. I've seen him put in a good sliding tackle somewhere recent (these last few games have been a blur). He had multiple brilliant sliding tackles in the Leeds game.
I'm not defending McTominay, I don't rate him to begin with and he's been underperforming. I preferred VDB this season.

LoneStar

Can't blame him if he wants to leave at all. His treatment has been appalling. I can see Sancho heading the same way if we continue with Ole. Buys big names and has no clue on how to play them.

Drainy

I called it. After his agent mouthed off Ole has stonewalled him completely.

It was obvious that a player who isn't integral to the team would be sacrificed to show that you must respect the manager if he's seen as challenging him.

snk123

Can't blame him if he wants to leave at all. His treatment has been appalling. I can see Sancho heading the same way if we continue with Ole. Buys big names and has no clue on how to play them.
Goes after Sancho for two years for the right wing. Players ask him to consider Grealish, he says no Sancho is the man. Gets him for 75m in a covid affected market. Barely gives him any minutes on the right.

Clueless.

Cloud7

For all the "defensive solidity" that McFred bring that supposedly makes them a better option than VDB, we don't actually look more solid or concede less with them around.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I wouldn't blame him.
I can understand him wanting out of this shit show, but I really hope he reconsiders leaving permanently under a new manager. I highly doubt he wouldn't be a very important squad player under most top managers considering our current squad.

tomaldinho1

Imagine what a cult hero he’d become if he finally gets his chance now Ole’s getting binned and does well. Like a Dutch Phoenix from the ashes.

Same for Sancho.

lex talionis

Fukking unbelievable that Ole has frozen out Donny. The manager has every right to believe a player doesn’t fit into his plans, but WTF are Ole’s “plans” to begin with? McTominay isn’t good enough to clean Donny’s boots, yet he’s an automatic starter while we get slaughtered match after match.

Andersonson

Ole should be sacked when he bought Donny for 40 odd mil.

Along with Maguire and AWB. Those transfers are a crime

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From reading what the likes of Ducker, Stone, Luckhurst and Hirst have reported in the last 24 hours, Donny has been impressing his team mates in training with Luckhurst reporting 'he's vowing team mates in training' . The reports go on to say that the players are not happy about Solskjaer indulging under performing players.

L1nk

Mark Ogden on Fab's podcast right now just said he was a club signing and that Ole didn't want him, he wasn't on Ole's list, so he doesn't know what to do with him, and hasn't bothered to give him a chance to succeed or fail as a result. As much as I don't like the idea of signings forced onto a manager, it's not the players fault and I feel bad for him that Ole hasn't at least tried to give him a chance

GMoore23

I called it. After his agent mouthed off Ole has stonewalled him completely.

It was obvious that a player who isn't integral to the team would be sacrificed to show that you must respect the manager if he's seen as challenging him.
That's hardly the reason when he barely played at all last season either and Pogba's agent is an absolute cnut yet it doesn't affect his playing time.
Pogba is also showing zero dedication to the club once again by running his contract down yet still plays every game.

Ole's decision making really does bemuse me.

King_Cantona07

For all the "defensive solidity" that McFred bring that supposedly makes them a better option than VDB, we don't actually look more solid or concede less with them around.
Its a myth that mcfred gives defensive stability, their passion and legs to run actually does more damage as smart players drag them out of positions creates huge gaps in middle. Our midfield is non existent whenever we play because of these two energetic brainless players. If the coach was smart they would have controlled their runs and given strict instructions on positioning. But we have Ole and his novices as coaches who I suspect still doesnt know what problem they are facing from hearing the press conferences.

MattofManchester

Don't think he'll get another go ever again.

Ole's got games to prove himself, so he'll go tried and trusted in McFred.

Even though they've been tried and can't be trusted.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Any new manager is gonna be desperate to get results. He's not gonna give an extremely rusty VDB games as an experiment. Gone in January.

red4ever 79

Mark Ogden on Fab's podcast right now just said he was a club signing and that Ole didn't want him, he wasn't on Ole's list, so he doesn't know what to do with him, and hasn't bothered to give him a chance to succeed or fail as a result. As much as I don't like the idea of signings forced onto a manager, it's not the players fault and I feel bad for him that Ole hasn't at least tried to give him a chance
Don't believe that at all due to the fact that Ole blocked his deadline loan move to Everton

0le

I think that is bullshit. The manager has always had a say in the signings a United, with or without the transfer committee present. The Glazers would also never sanction ~£40m on such a player if it did not have the agreement of Ole.

lex talionis

I think that is bullshit. The manager has always had a say in the signings a United, with or without the transfer committee present. The Glazers would also never sanction ~£40m on such a player if it did not have the agreement of Ole.
I have to agree. It's unimaginable that the Glazers sanctioned a player acquisition without the manager's consent. Yes I understand Ole wanted Grealish and he didn't get him, but to dump a player on a manager boggles the mind if true, so I'm going with not true.

That said, Ole's maltreatment of Donny has been disgraceful.

Ixion

I dunno how true it is but I could buy it. I don't even think Donny would change our fortunes but he deserves better.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I dunno how true it is but I could buy it. I don't even think Donny would change our fortunes but he deserves better.
We will never know because he's never even given a chance :lol:

He might be the best player the clubs ever seen, or he could be the worst. The fact he's had even less minutes than last year is frankly baffling.

For all the talk that he's not good enough defensively, we barely look any better without him on the pitch. Maybe just maybe somebody who can actually keep the ball in tight spaces and pass quickly would be helpful?

I really hope he gets a chance in the coming weeks, or if not a new manager before January comes.

Stactix

Honestly think a situation like this is one of the biggest causes of our current form, aside from Ole being way out of his depth.
This is a situation that has festered over a season and it will cause squad issues especially when it's not just Donny in this boat.

Squad player doing well in training - Never given consistent chances on the field, becomes demotivated and frustrated.
Player on field - Does consistently poorly, has a shocker or two on the field or comes back from injury early - seriously underperforms or stresses the injury.

In what world would the above situation not cause issues?
1. Not getting chances becomes frustrated.
2. Becomes complacent because it doesn't fecking matter how fecking shite they are, they're still on the team sheet the following week.

In an office sense, just imagine the guy that does feckall and is a complete moron gets promoted or a payrise. While the rest of the team doesn't, how does that affect your performance?
Well I'd certainly resort to working to rule.

IncyWincySpider

Honestly think a situation like this is one of the biggest causes of our current form, aside from Ole being way out of his depth.
This is a situation that has festered over a season and it will cause squad issues especially when it's not just Donny in this boat.

Squad player doing well in training - Never given consistent chances on the field, becomes demotivated and frustrated.
Player on field - Does consistently poorly, has a shocker or two on the field or comes back from injury early - seriously underperforms or stresses the injury.

In what world would the above situation not cause issues?
1. Not getting chances becomes frustrated.
2. Becomes complacent because it doesn't fecking matter how fecking shite they are, they're still on the team sheet the following week.

In an office sense, just imagine the guy that does feckall and is a complete moron gets promoted or a payrise. While the rest of the team doesn't, how does that affect your performance?
Well I'd certainly resort to working to rule.
Yes, it's a very good point that it isn't just the player who gets sidelined that is affected. There needs to be genuine competition for places to get the best out of players, the starters need to know that if their form drops there is someone waiting in the wings to step in. If they start feeling as though it doesn't matter how they perform they will still get picked, their motivation will inevitably drop.

I will give Ole some benefit of the doubt - I expect he genuinely did want to use his whole squad and probably had plans to do so, but I think his decision making has been terrible for quite a while now, probably because he is under so much pressure he isn't thinking straight. I expect in the weeks and months following his departure (whenever that is), he will wonder what the hell he was doing with some of his team selections and tactics. I just think he's been in near permanent panic mode for a long time.

I hope Donny and some of the others get a chance to impress under a new manager. It would be a real shame if he leaves without ever really being part of this team.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Probably nonsense, because Ole has a veto. The more likely scenario is he wanted to play a midfield with Pogba and Bruno and a DM, and then use VDB as a backup for those 2. But he couldn't make a midfield like that work, so VDB is sidelined. I'll note that ETH is playing a midfield of Gravenberch (Pogba clone), Berghuis (half the player Bruno is) or Klaassen (VDB clone) and Alvarez (a run of the mill DM, think Rice) and demolishing CL opponents. His previous midfield during the great CL run was similairly adventurous (Schone, De Jong, VDB). We should do whatever we can to keep VDB and Pogba onboard until the next manager has his say.

EtH

From reading what the likes of Ducker, Stone, Luckhurst and Hirst have reported in the last 24 hours, Donny has been impressing his team mates in training with Luckhurst reporting 'he's vowing team mates in training' . The reports go on to say that the players are not happy about Solskjaer indulging under performing players.
What message must it send to the squad to see McTominay get the runout no matter how shite his previous performance was.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Lots say that VDB was a club signing. Parts of the club seem to be into the Dutch/Ajax style of football. Lots of young Dutch players and back room staff. non-Dutch youth signings like Hannibal and Amad would also be the kind of players to fit in that system. To me it looks like Murtaugh might be all for that, and possibly Woodward (who seems to still know nothing much about football). So that’s encouraging…

Then I cannot understand why above that the priority above anything seems to be to keep Ole in charge. He’s got no understanding of the positional/possession game and seems to think good players are ones who will bail him out on their own. Investing in Sancho, VDB, Amad, Hannibal etc is far more wasteful and expensive than getting a proper coach in for them. With Ole failing to integrate VDB last year, and flunking the Europa League it was a good time to get Ten Hag in the summer. It was madness to give Ole a massive extension and to let him hoard players who are a direct block on the good youth players.

It makes almost no sense but, at the same time, parts of the set up look okay. I would worry about Ten Hag coming in mid season in chaos, though.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
What message must it send to the squad to see McTominay get the runout no matter how shite his previous performance was.
And because Ole has started hoarding and collecting attacking midfielders and strikers he’s got to play his central midfielders in a two. None of those combinations of two work whatsoever.

That’s why I have reservations about whether Murtaugh really has any influence. A competent DOF would have seen how both keeping Lingard and signing Ronaldo was only going to cause problems. Also, Murtaugh had invested in Amad and Hannibal, only to see Ole sign who will block their development.

United’s inability to sell/let go of players is also a massive problem, especially when Ole won’t use them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Must be willing the inevitable to happen, and then might get a look in.

Swedish_Plumber

I’ll pay for his flight to a country of his choice to play football elsewhere if he doesn’t play this weekend. Not sure why he wouldn’t get a sniff after last weekend.

Jericho

It's ridiculous how little opportunity he's getting considering how shite we are in midfield, and how much time Ole gave the likes of Pereira.

I'd rather roll the dice on Donny than continue to do the same things over and over that aren't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.