Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dont really think he's anything special as a player, but it's a travesty he hasn't had any chance for games here in midfield. Hope we see him now that Ole is gone. Positive impact today.

croadyman

Yeah I will agree he's not a midfield saviour, however definitely showed some real quality when he came on

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's weird how desparate fans on here have been to convince themselves and everyone else Ole is doing a great job.

It's extended beyond our players. At one point every manager who wasn't Ole was labelled a "hipster" and the threads we had for other managers like Nagelsman, Pochettino and Bielsa were bumped after every bad result they had in order to prove how good a job Ole was doing.

It's been the cult of Ole on redcafe for the last 3 years.
On the caf, hipster actually means good.

Those deluded idiots are blinkered as feck and can't see past Ole's ass.

NK86

I dont really think he's anything special as a player, but it's a travesty he hasn't had any chance for games here in midfield. Hope we see him now that Ole is gone. Positive impact today.
But that's the whole point. You don't need a world class player in every position. You need some good hard working players who can still elevate their game and as a team can make us better. Donny is definitely one of those. He may not be a Scholes or Carrick, but he is a heck of a lot better than the combo Ole persisted with. Think he can do well in a 3 man midfield and that will unlock a lot our team's potential too if implemented properly.

Red00012

Was anyone in away end for guy who abused Donny for coming on and we laced him when he scored . Proper banter he took it good to be fair

Dr Foo

His performance shouldn't be a surprise.. he was quite decent in his last cameos at CM too. Extremely damning for leaving him out with the state of our midfield. Could be a game changer with our new manager

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Great match today. It took some time:DActually first match he has proven something and showed his potential in the United shirt.

He’s been shockingly bad until know, so I don’t think anyone could say “told you so”.
He's been ok to good in most of the (few) performances he's had since towards the end of last season. Nothing amazing, but definitely enough to warrant more playing time during these last few months where the team as a whole and all our midfielders individually have been struggling badly.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That was such a good cameo. I almost forgot what a creative midfielder looks like after all those months with McFred.
We instantly looked like we'd make a come-back and even won the game when he's in. His drive, vision, and all action movements really made the difference.

Belisarius

It seems like our defenders are trying to sabotage Donny. First Wan Bissaka gets a red card against Young Boys and Donny is pulled off at half time of one of the few games he starts. Then today, Donny comes on and looks really lively for 20 minutes. He scores, sets up a few chances and looks like he might be the hero of another come from behind draw or even win. Then Maguire gets a red card and kills all the momentum.

I did think he looked very good with Sancho though. Get a right back with a little bit more of a footballing mind and the right side should be sorted for a while.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
First midfielder on the team sheet going forward. How Ole played McF without trying something else shows how bad he was

TSE123

I think I saw what I always thought- VDB is better with matic than when he played with Fred or Mctominay. It's the same with Pogba, better with Matic than with Fred or Mctominay.

None of them are CDM and the only one is Matic, a CDM is needed to get the best out of players like VDB or Pogba.
Entirely agree! I think this is largely one of the underlying problems for United.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It's weird how desparate fans on here have been to convince themselves and everyone else Ole is doing a great job.

It's extended beyond our players. At one point every manager who wasn't Ole was labelled a "hipster" and the threads we had for other managers like Nagelsman, Pochettino and Bielsa were bumped after every bad result they had in order to prove how good a job Ole was doing.

It's been the cult of Ole on redcafe for the last 3 years.
I mean, even Carragher (who I really like as a pundit) assumed he was just bad in training very recently.
It's just how our brains work, we look for reasonable explanations to weird stuff. Turns out the manager has a man crush on McSauce. Who'd have thought?
Told you so..
He actually was shit last season. He had a decent start but after he stopped getting picked very early in and his confidence was on the floor he didn't regain 'till Wolves at the end of the season when the pressure was off. He's been great this season. I never understood why people can't make the connection with form and confidence.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was very good, worked hard, won the ball and most importantly had awareness of what's happening and played some good passes. His movement is very good too.

Resonance

I'm glad he didn't start yesterday. If he did start, I'm confident we would have won that game and Ole would still be here.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You can see now why Ole refused to play him in last weeks. Makes him look even more incompetent as he wasted so much time insisting on McFred (and Matic, and Pogba).

Red Rash

You also have to remember that this performance from Donny came under difficult circumstances.

We were already 2-0 down in the game and we were getting destroyed. He is also playing for a manager who has showed zero faith in him, in a team with low confidence, no style of play and due to his lack of game time is not match fit.

To put in that kind of a performance in those circumstances was great. I think that performance exposed a huge flaw in Ole who has persisted with Fred and McTominay despite them putting in poor performance after poor performance this season.

Players shouldn't be given a divine right to play for Man Utd just because they are a Manager's favourite when they are underperforming and this is something Sir Alex would never have allowed.

If Solskjaer used his squad better, I think we would see a very decent player in DVB who could help us play through midfield, in particular given that we are always trying to play from the back with midfielders who are not very good on the ball in tight spaces.

Reactions: Dargonk

oz insomniac

Fred can play as his performances for Brazil indicate, just that Ole doesn’t know how to use him and certainly playing alongside the ineffective and lethargic McTominlay really hampers Fred. Not sure how playing Donny alongside Fred would work, but just seems ludicrous it was never attempted.

Perhaps it was one of many things that underlined how poor a tactician and manager Ole was, rescued by individual brilliance far more than style. Ole needs to move on.and realise he never has to work again, and bask in his legendary status as a super sub.

Marcus

You also have to remember that this performance from Donny came under difficult circumstances.

We were already 2-0 down in the game and we were getting destroyed. He is also playing for a manager who has showed zero faith in him, in a team with low confidence, no style of play and due to his lack of game time is not match fit.

To put in that kind of a performance in those circumstances was great. I think that performance exposed a huge flaw in Ole who has persisted with Fred and McTominay despite them putting in poor performance after poor performance this season.

Players shouldn't be given a divine right to play for Man Utd just because they are a Manager's favourite when they are underperforming and this is something Sir Alex would never have allowed.

If Solskjaer used his squad better, I think we would see a very decent player in DVB who could help us play through midfield, in particular given that we are always trying to play from the back with midfielders who are not very good on the ball in tight spaces.
Agree with you 100%.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really good half of football from him. He got stuck in, tracked back well and his quick pass and move football let us get out plenty of times. Then also played some lovely forward balls as well. I'd really like to see him be given more chances in that deeper role.

MrBest

So happy he showed people what he can do for us yesterday. I am a huge Donny fan, i really want to see him succeed here, he needs game time, not 5 mins there and here.

Ixion

Fitting he made Ole look an idiot in his last game

Lukinho

He was really really good yesterday. For me the best midfield performance this year. How he made Ronaldo and Sancho so much better when he was on the pitch was great. This is a midfielder that we need. Someone who is making the attackers better with passes in behind

Sylar

There was a point when he was asking team to make a fecking run. Ronaldo did it after seeing that .story of our team !
That was hilarious , once Ronaldo started his run the pass by vdb was spot on. It ended up to feet due to ronaldos run into the space

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Last goal of Ole's tenure as manager was scored by Beek. Can't write this stuff.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Since Ole is gone for good now, maybe he will want to stay here afterall?

Same coaching staff are still there, the ones who probably advised Ole not to play Donny
Not for long. Do you really think any top manager is going to keep this lot around? They will bring their own staff and maybe, maybe keep a couple of ours as a token gesture at best. The rest will be gone.

Donny is a system player, I'm sure he's been waiting for this moment for quite some time. He's played under a good manager before he will have known Ole wouldn't survive forever.

Foxbatt

But that's the whole point. You don't need a world class player in every position. You need some good hard working players who can still elevate their game and as a team can make us better. Donny is definitely one of those. He may not be a Scholes or Carrick, but he is a heck of a lot better than the combo Ole persisted with. Think he can do well in a 3 man midfield and that will unlock a lot our team's potential too if implemented properly.
Of course he is much better than a burger. McFred. :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Not for long. Do you really think any top manager is going to keep this lot around? They will bring their own staff and maybe, maybe keep a couple of ours as a token gesture at best. The rest will be gone.

Donny is a system player, I'm sure he's been waiting for this moment for quite some time. He's played under a good manager before he will have known Ole wouldn't survive forever.
I agree, there's still a chance though that Donny isn't fancied by the next manager. If it's Ten Hag then I imagine he'll be a regular.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
With performances like these he's the first name on the team sheet. I don't think he can hit these heights every game (this was a world class showing), and I don't think he's guaranteed starter material, but the kid just wants a serious look in and not see imposters play ahead of him.

I'm hopeful f he plays a good amount of games and gets his NT spot back he won't force a move out.

He doesn't need to play every game to get a call up from LVG. He also selects Wijnaldum, Koopmeiners, Dumfries, Ake and they don't play every game either, but they're not completely frozen out like Donny has been either.

I personally think we should play 4-3-3 and rotate Donny with Bruno and Fred for the 2 advanced midfield positions, assuming Lingard and Pogba are off.

Phil

He really should be starting every game in midfield and I can't see how that's up for discussion. One of the (many) reasons I'm excited Ole has gone is that he might actually play now.

luke511

He actually was shit last season. He had a decent start but after he stopped getting picked very early in and his confidence was on the floor he didn't regain 'till Wolves at the end of the season when the pressure was off. He's been great this season. I never understood why people can't make the connection with form and confidence.
I think saying he was shit last season is a little bit unfair. He started off well scoring the odd goal in the few minutes he was given coming off the bench, he only performed badly when he was played as a no.10 in the highly dysfunctional B team, where he was making all sorts of runs into the box whilst the team behind him struggled to string a pass together (our B team never played well under Solskjaer anyway) it didn't help that Bruno was on fire around this time and made him look even worse in these situations. A lot of fans formed their opinion at this point. He was only played in the double pivot once amongst the first team vs Basaksehir and had a MOTM performance, then Solskjaer didn't play him there again until vs Wolves at the end of the season. The point was that he hasn't been "shockingly bad" up until yesterday's game and he has had good performances playing in the double pivot before.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think saying he was shit last season is a little bit unfair. He started off well scoring the odd goal in the few minutes he was given coming off the bench, he only performed badly when he was played as a no.10 in the highly dysfunctional B team, where he was making all sorts of runs into the box whilst the team behind him struggled to string a pass together (our B team never played well under Solskjaer anyway) it didn't help that Bruno was on fire at this point and made him look even worse in these situations. A lot of fans formed their opinion at this point. He was only played in the double pivot once amongst the first team vs Basaksehir and had a MOTM performance, then Solskjaer didn't play him there again until vs Wolves at the end of the season. The point was that he hasn't been "shockingly bad" up until yesterday's game and he has had good performances playing in the double pivot before.
So he was bad last season after his alright start. Wasn't that what I just said? You can look the mitigating circumstances for his poor performances, and they certainly exist, but his confidence was on the floor and if he played with the attitude he's displayed this season he would have performed much better in those odd cup and sub appearances last season.

He can do much better playing as a no 10 in a B team than the crap he displayed last season. Weirdly enough he played very well during the international breaks and then came back and was horrid for us again.

steve.crowford

His play was amazing. The passing, movement, brains, desire. Where have you been all my life DVB? Oh yes, on the subs bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.