5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew7582

The appearance record is inflated because of the cameos academy kids at Ajax get. Also they're not as good at 17 as they are at 22. Think it's better to look at their last one or two years (VDB played deeper in his last year after De Jong left).

30 goal contributions in a season as a midfielder definitely gets you the serial goalscorer label, which is all I said really. I didn't imply anything by it, other than that he can score goals.

Klaassen is a great goal scorer for Ajax, but their goals/assists aren't very far apart if you consider VDB played in the pivot more often (he played there behind Ziyech at times, while Klaassen never played deep during his first stint) and VDB played less minutes.

One of the reasons we paid 40m euro for him and not for Klaassen or Giakoumakis (you can guess which stat is whose and in which competition):

GAMin
''serial goalscorer'' refers to goals specifically, not ''goal contributions'' which also include assists. VDB only achieved double figures in the league once for ajax, those numbers don't look sufficiently high to me to earn the tag of being a serial goalscorer. Considering that this is the dutch league we are talking about which is a much lower level than the premier league. Klaasen achieved double figures four times in the dutch league by comparison.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
''serial goalscorer'' refers to goals specifically, not ''goal contributions'' which also include assists. VDB only achieved double figures in the league once for ajax, those numbers don't look sufficiently high to me to earn the tag of being a serial goalscorer. Considering that this is the dutch league we are talking about which is a much lower level than the premier league. Klaasen achieved double figures four times in the dutch league by comparison.
You think I'm implying he's some sort of genius player because I stated he can score a lot of goals, which is why you're bringing up Klaassen. I was merely describing what type of player he is, and scoring a lot of goals from midfield is part of what he can do "at his best".

Klaassen is also serial goal scorer. So your point is you can score goals in Holland be shit in the PL. I don't disagree. This is like me saying "Klaassen is a serial goal scorer" and you thinking I'm implying he's a God because of it. No, I'm not.

I said "at his best, he's a serial goal scorer". He wasn't at his best when he was young, nor was he in a position to score much playing in the pivot. That leaves you only one or two seasons to look at. Sort it out by position and minutes during VDB peak years and his goal stat is roughly similar to Klaassen's.

And it's fairly ironic you're making this point about Eredivsie goals (weak opposition) and bringing up Klaassen at the same time. VDB has scored more goals in the knockout of stages of the CL.

Dve

He is Bruno's backup, no chance of him playing unless Bruno is getting rested. As simple as that.
Disagree. Or, I agree that he was signed as Bruno´s backup, but he´ll be given game time as a nr. 8, maybe already this weekend.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Disagree. Or, I agree that he was signed as Bruno´s backup, but he´ll be given game time as a nr. 8, maybe already this weekend.
Maybe he was signed as Bruno's backup, but now with the bulking up , they want to turn him as a nr. 8? He seemed to have the same body as Bruno.

Dve

Maybe he was signed as Bruno's backup, but now with the bulking up , they want to turn him as a nr. 8? He seemed to have the same body as Bruno.
Bruno is not very big, and you don´t need to bulk up for fitting into a nr. 10 role. I´m pretty sure Donny´s chance is as one of the holding, or more of an 8, and that´s also where he has been played in preseason.

Bondi77

If he doesn’t get any decent game time against Wolves then it really will be an absolutely baffling signing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Really hope that he gets a start against Wolves in the pivot and doesn't look back!

romufc

Ole needs to trust him for 2/3 games. He has given Fred, Matic, James, Lindelof, AWB so many chances yet he gives none to awb

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Van Gaal hasn’t selected him for Holland.
Good decision from LVG. Someone need to knock some sense to Donny's head that he is actually not getting any games so he should either ask explanation to Ole or leave.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ole says he has plans for Donny but it feels like he's been saying that for a year, unless the plan is to keep him on the bench.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If we get Camavinga and Ronaldo then feck it but if we don’t sign a midfielder after pleading poverty :lol: and a bloated squad :wenger: it’ll be a bit silly signing Ronaldo. I get it. He’ll hit 20 in the league. We might even win something, but I’m not sure if we will with our current midfield woes. What’s the point in Ronaldo when Matic has lost the ball or is taking a half an hour to jog up the field only to knock it back to Maguire.

Walters_19_MuFc

Get him next to Fred vs Wolves. I know Fred wasnt great against Soton but with McTominay out and Matic no longer up to speed, I'd like to see a pivot of him and Fred.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It's not at all good for us LVG spent 45mins advising him. VDB sulking for a move isn't what we need. Someone needs to sit on our bench and VDB is a quality back up player. I have zero doubts he'll prove to be better than Pereira or Matic were he to get a run of games during an injury crisis.

He'll definitely play against Wolves. Ole needs to reassure him while the window is still open.

A5TRON4UT

If this man doesn't replace McFred I'll be so bummed. We're wasting his skills here, having him sit on the bench while the Pastor drops a disasterclass after disasterclass.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hahaha Van Gaal is doing that to piss United off, no other reason. Donny could be banging them in and he still wouldn't pick him.
That's rubbish. Van Gaal always bangs on about players having to be playing regularly to be selected. Van de Beek has no business being selected. If he were banging them in, he would've started the last 2 years, because our alternatives are dire, but he's hardly gotten a game under de Boer either and feck me, if someone with an Ajax background is passed over by De Boer he has to be absolutely atrocious.

I don't really get all the excuses for Donny both at United and Oranje. He just has an extraordinarily limited skill set. He's like one of those little wooden IKEA pins. Great at holding together furniture, but absolutely useless in all other tasks.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Didn't LVG piss off some senior players at United by asking them to play with the u23s for match fitness?

That's rubbish. Van Gaal always bangs on about players having to be playing regularly to be selected. Van de Beek has no business being selected. If he were banging them in, he would've started the last 2 years, because our alternatives are dire, but he's hardly gotten a game under de Boer either and feck me, if someone with an Ajax background is passed over by De Boer he has to be absolutely atrocious.

I don't really get all the excuses for Donny both at United and Oranje. He just has an extraordinarily limited skill set. He's like one of those little wooden IKEA pins. Great at holding together furniture, but absolutely useless in all other tasks.
:lol: true.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I struggle to believe that he is worse than Fred or Matic. Just try it out, as plan A is not working clearly

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I struggle to believe that he is worse than Fred or Matic. Just try it out, as plan A is not working clearly
Fred's 5 classes above VDB, but I agree on Matic.

Donny would be a moron if he bought OGS's nonsense, but I don't mind a strong backup/bench. So unless we could recoup a large part of the fee that will allow us to get buy a DM, I'd keep him.

MattofManchester

Questions need to be asked about this.

Ole has his favorites, which is why fecking Martial keeps getting game time, but destroying VDB's career while we continue to destabilize our midfield at our own expense is ridiculous.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Donny would be a moron if he bought OGS's nonsense, but I don't mind a strong backup/bench. So unless we could recoup a large part of the fee that will allow us to get buy a DM, I'd keep him.
Fred's been terrible for a very long time, one of our worst players over the past 3 seasons or so. There is no way he is heads above any other midfielder we have

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Fred's been terrible for a very long time, one of our worst players over the past 3 seasons or so. There is no way he is heads above any other midfielder we have
No.

He was shit vs Southampton and 1st half today though.

But hyperbole ini.

KeanoMagicHat

They play slightly different ways/roles but hardly. Van de Beek at Ajax was better than anything Fred has shown at United, including against top teams (Real Madrid, Spurs etc)

Superunknown

Ole doesn't know what to do with him and just doesn't trust him. It's just not going to work for him. 100% should have been given a chance today at some point, especially in that second half.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Do you only pay attention to the game when Man Utd have the ball? Because even in this game, he had vital interceptions and was defending all over the pitch, including at left back and right back.
They play slightly different ways/roles but hardly. Van de Beek at Ajax was better than anything Fred has shown at United, including against top teams (Real Madrid, Spurs etc)
No he wasn't and no he wasn't that good in any of those games. I watched most of those EL/CL games and all the big games vs Fey/Az/PSV in the Eredivisie.
He's a very limited player that has decent work rate, can only play one touch, and is clever around the box.

lilcurt

Ole has his favorites, which is why fecking Martial keeps getting game time, but destroying VDB's career while we continue to destabilize our midfield at our own expense is ridiculous.
Martial looked decent when he came on today to be fair to the guy.

Donny I just don't get. If we won't play him then sell and get some money in for other players. He doesn't get a chance it impress or disappoint, just don't get it.

KeanoMagicHat

They're completely different positions, Sancho and James were terrible today so made sense to play Martial. VDB would be coming on for Fred, Pogba or Bruno.

Status
Not open for further replies.