g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Also in terms of the questions, I think Pogba still leaves next summer, so we'd have Van de Beek adapt for a year (he's only 23 after all) through rotation and maybe sometimes playing alongside both Pogba and Bruno, before taking over as the main starter next year and us replacing Matic next summer. Very happy with the signing either way.

Kearnkoff69

We're not paying all of that money up front. I'm sure we've set up a payment structure so that we'd hopefully have enough to pay up front. Either that or we're not going for him at all.
Yep, exactly. Like all other big clubs, our accountants will amortize the purchase price over the length of the contract. It’s how Chelsea have been able to spend this summer (and still have Havertz on the way) without running afoul of FFP.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We're not paying all of that money up front. I'm sure we've set up a payment structure so that we'd hopefully have enough to pay up front. Either that or we're not going for him at all.
Lets hope that Dortmund sees some sense in the global realities. No one's going be paying massive upfront costs (reportedly 80M down)and the final price isn't what it used to be. You can see why Woodward's waiting patiently until Dortmund sees some sense and provide some flexibility in their approach.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That’s a whole lot of money for a backup player.
It’s half the price of how much Grealish was reported. The same money Liverpool spent on Ox Chamberlain. Perfect price for quality player to upgrade Pereira & Lingard & can play in 3 different roles. How much do you expect?

VictoriaRed

I'm surprised by the lack of excitement around this signing. If I recall, he can play as a box-to-box midfielder, ya? So why not play him in a three with Pogba and Bruno? I'm delighted.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'd say it's more of a steal these days. Highly rated, great vision and an eye for the goal, young and most of all a workhorse which is what this club was founded on. Assuming he understands the pecking order when he comes in, both the competion and the depth he ll provide will be immensely useful. I also presume that means we ll be doing some more "clearing out" soon.

Redcy

We were being quoted 30m for brooks, not surprised he is going to cost 35m

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's also just 23 years of age and has a lot of room for growth. Younger than Mctominay.

DSG

Also in terms of the questions, I think Pogba still leaves next summer, so we'd have Van de Beek adapt for a year (he's only 23 after all) through rotation and maybe sometimes playing alongside both Pogba and Bruno, before taking over as the main starter next year and us replacing Matic next summer. Very happy with the signing either way.
Happy with this DVB acquisition. From what the Ajax fellas say, he’s a classic box to box who can play 10. I thought he looked class in the CL last season vs Real, Juve and Spurs.

I don’t think he is a squad player acquisition as many have suggested. I do believe that OGS will try him as the 8 (Pogba) and at the 6 (Matic), and of course play his as Bruno’s backup. If he shines, Pogba may be sold at the end of this window or in January, potentially to help fund a Sancho move.

I’m more excited about his work rate and movement off ball, as these are areas where Pogba is subpar in my opinion.

I really think Ole is modeling his midfield after Liverpool, which means plodders like Matic and low work rate players like Pogba will be moved on. I know, Matic signed a two year extension, but that is just a bridge for a window or two while we work on a classic DM acquisition.

Surprised Ed came through swiftly. Maybe he’s getting better?

RikRuud

Great signing. Will be an important player for us. Wish we did more business with Ajax. Would not be surprised to see TFM go the other way as he was linked with a return to Ajax last year.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Funny how Ajax fans seem relatively happy/wish VdB luck/speak well of United, but Dortmund fans were throwing Sancho under bus when it looked like he'd leave/a lot of hate for United. Weirdly different behaviour for two selling clubs.

SteveW

Not in todays market. Also he isn't a backup player.

With the season starting 6 weeks late the schedule will be way too busy to try and play the same midfield every game. It will be a pretty constant rotation imo. I'd expect him to play similar minutes to Pogba and Bruno over the course of the season.

Red4Life_#7

I'd actually say Bruno. Basically, whenever we buy domestically, we get ripped off. You'd hope the board would have clocked on this by now but apparently not.
Well Bruno had a 35m release clause which we didn't activate 6 months before signing him... hmm.

McTominay is not competing with Matic. Nobody in their right might sees him as a DM.
I see McT becoming a future DM/CM actually. Olé recently compared him to Matic.

Amazing deal. Guy is world class.
Big statement. So why is he world class...? (hope he will be)

RashyForPM

Nope, unless you only want to buy all backup players for James’ price of £15m. In that case, you’ll get another James too, a player who we cannot rely on to bring off the bench at all, thus making his backup role pointless.

VdB is different, despite the higher but still very sensible price. He’s proven to be a good, hardworking, goalscoring midfielder who can challenge and take Bruno/Pogba’s place if their form ever drops off (let’s hope not, as they’re world class players). Now, on to Sancho and this will have been a successful window. Well done Ole and Woodward for doing this deal, credit where credit is due.

Chief123

This is such a Fred type of signing. I can't believe that people are excited. In two years, we're gonna ask ourselves how we could ever spend 40M on a player that isn't better than our other options.
Absolutely nothing like the Fred signing. In two years time we'll be looking at it as a bargain. Have you honestly watched VDB play?

Skeezix

He looks like the doofus character from every American teen movie ever.
:lol::lol:
I wasn't quite able to put a finger on who he exactly looks like. Now that you mention it, yeah that was it. Looks like a bully from a High School Eggball/Rugby team.

MichaelRed

Well Bruno had a 35m release clause which we didn't activate 6 months before signing him... hmm.

I see McT becoming a future DM/CM actually. Olé recently compared him to Matic.

Big statement. So why is he world class...? (hope he will be)
35m release clause? Utter nonsense. Also if you see Scott becoming a DM then I'd say you lack the ability to recognise his skillset. He's nothing of a DM.

Chief123

There's a misconception that VDB is coming in as a bench player. No chance.

Do not be surprised if we see numerous lineups with VDB, Pogba and Bruno all playing as our midfield 3. This will be quite common in games at home against weaker opposition. When teams come and park the bus, you need a high tempo build up with players transitioning the ball quickly. VDB and Pogba can most certainly do that from deep. VDB has defensive pressing and quick turnover qualities.

The days of traditional "defensive midfielder" are not as significant as they used to be. The modern game has shown its more successful for teams who press high, win the ball up the pitch and transition the play into a change over quickly.

Look at Bayern for example this season. Both Thiago and Gorektzka are not classic defensive midfielders at all. However, their pressing and technical ability on the ball over powers opponents. Their trio of them two and Muller would be very similar to our trio of VDB, Pogba and Bruno in that we have a dynamic fluid midfield that can press high up. Don't forget majority of teams that come to old trafford will sit in and be hard to break down.

Strelok

Do not be surprised if we see numerous lineups with VDB, Pogba and Bruno all playing as our midfield 3. This will be quite common in games at home against weaker opposition. When teams come and park the bus, you need a high tempo build up with players transitioning the ball quickly. VDB and Pogba can most certainly do that from deep. VDB has defensive pressing and quick turnover qualities.

The days of traditional "defensive midfielder" are not as significant as they used to be. The modern game has shown its more successful for teams who press high, win the ball up the pitch and transition the play into a change over quickly.

Look at Bayern for example this season. Both Thiago and Gorektzka are not classic defensive midfielders at all. However, their pressing and technical ability on the ball over powers opponents. Their trio of them two and Muller would be very similar to our trio of VDB, Pogba and Bruno in that we have a dynamic fluid midfield that can press high up. Don't forget majority of teams that come to old trafford will sit in and be hard to break down.
Agreed.

And in matches against bigger ones we'll revert to our counter attacking system. Imo we're not strong enough to go toe to toe with those even if we sign Sancho.

Chief123

Agreed.

And in matches against bigger ones we'll revert to our counter attacking system. Imo we're not strong enough to go toe to toe with those even if we sign Sancho.
Matic''s best games have been against the bigger teams where we've had opponents come on to us and he is able to step out from deep and drive forward with the ball.

His worst games have been the games at Old trafford where teams have sat in deep. In those games he takes 45,000 touches in a game and really slows the tempo down. It can be incredibly frustrating as he constantly allows teams to get back in their shape. Those are the types of games I fully expect our midfield to be the trio of VDB, Pogba and Bruno.

The more successful teams are winning the ball higher up the pitch. It is not defensive midfielders that are winning the ball back for them. It is attacking midfielders and forwards who are retrieving the ball back. The traditional defensive midfielder has evolved into high energy, intensity midfielders.

tjb

Thing is, he's a versatile midfielder that can cover every gap we have there, help Pogba and Bruno rest, and maybe rotate with Matic for easier games. But I also think he can play in most attacking positions because of how he plays. I think at times, we can also use him on the right, particularly when we require some more defensive coverage against stronger teams.

meamth

You're so right on this. Same with Liverpool, they midfield isn't great, but their work rates are second to none.

Chief123

You're so right on this. Same with Liverpool, they midfield isn't great, but their work rates are second to none.
Look at City as well. So often they have Gundogan or Rodri as their "CDM"....they are not traditional "hard tacklers and win it back" kind of players. It's about having energy and enthusiasm in midfield to press. For so many years city have won the ball back through the likes of Silva, De Bruyne and Liverpool with Wijnaldum, Henderson, Firmino....none of which are traditional defensive minded players.

hobbers

Second most exciting signing we could realistically expect to make this window so I guess that's something.

Also means we're less likely now to waste money on Grealish which I'm happy about.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Van de Beek will give us incredible depth in the midfield. Maybe he is a cheaper alternative to Grelish? I feel like our board are tired of getting fleeced. Honestly, I rather have Grelish, but I guess he is too pricey.

Regardless, this isn’t where our priorities should be. We should be targeting wide right attackers to support Greenwood as I initially stated. If Sancho is too expensive, we should look at Dembele, Traoré, or Coman, since Kubo has joined Villarreal

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Look at City as well. So often they have Gundogan or Rodri as their "CDM"....they are not traditional "hard tacklers and win it back" kind of players. It's about having energy and enthusiasm in midfield to press. For so many years city have won the ball back through the likes of Silva, De Bruyne and Liverpool with Wijnaldum, Henderson, Firmino....none of which are traditional defensive minded players.
This.

meamth

In conclusion, traditional CDM has no more time to dwell on the ball like they used to.

This is the way to go. I hope.

Chief123

In conclusion, traditional CDM has no more time to dwell on the ball like they used to.

This is the way to go. I hope.
Absolutely. Traditional Roy Keane types are not as important.

Look at Barca in their prime....they used to press with high intensity with Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta in midfield. Busquets is never a hard tackling midfielder. But he was technically brilliant and part of a cohesive pressing system.

reddevilz007

can DVB be our Goretzka? Getting some extra muscle

and then we place a bid for Thiago?

Lingard, Mata and Pereira can all leave

Status
Not open for further replies.