dos Santos to Spurs - looks like it

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He's staying in the B-Team for one more season, I believe. Thiago and another great prospect there are making the step-up to the first team for some game time (particularly if Dos Santos does leave), but Assulin will have to wait another year for that.
I remember hearing this kids name a little while ago. Meant to be a fantastic prospect.

How'd he go last season?

Wittmann45

Would certainly be an interesting singing for the Spurs, if it goes through.

And not only because his mate (and co-U17 WC tormentor) in Carlos Vela will be playing for us.

Wonder what the passport issue would be like, seeing as we had to go through so much fuss (two years of it) to get Vela here.
Anyone know if he has a Spanish passport?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I'm assuming he must.

I think Barcelona either had him, or signed him at the time we signed Vela (after the WC), which would mean he's been in Spain, at least, as long as Vela has and would thus qualify for his passport.

Also I doubt Spurs would be in for someone they couldn’t sign straight away.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Glaston..do you think if dos Santos goes to your club, you guys would be a bit lightweight on the wings? That's assuming him and Lennon plays together on either side
Do you mean 'lightweight' in the sense of work-rate/failing to track-back? Or lightweight in a physical sense - being easily muscled off the ball?

Either way I guess it could be true, but I've barely seen dos Santos play so I don't really know.

However, we've been lacking a left-footed LM for a long time now, so since January we've at least added (with Gilberto as well) to our left-footed LM/LW options, tho' I've also read that dos Santos often plays in RM, cutting inside onto his left-foot for shots at goal.

And for the moment it's enough for me to have brought in a player of whom Ronaldinho has said: "Gio possesses everything I love to watch. He improvises, he dribbles and he loves to score. I have adored watching him in training."

The Hairdryer

Pete Storey. Though you were dead mate. Good to see you back.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It seems like Chelsea are trying to hi-jack the dos Santos deal at the last minute, with their usual money-no-object approach.

My confidence in signing dos Santos has receded a bit. If it's money he's after and sitting on the bench of a CL club, then he'll go to Chelsea, but if he wants to play regularly he'll come to Spurs.

twitter thread suggester
My confidence in signing dos Santos has receded a bit. If it's money he's after and sitting on the bench of a CL club, then he'll go to Chelsea, but if he wants to play regularly he'll come to Spurs.
He won't be a regular for you guys either, at least not next season.
He's in no way good enough to be starting for you, he might be in a couple of years, if he improves quite a lot.
Malbranque would be a better option than dos Santos.

I was kindda hoping Liverpool would spend a lot of money on dos Santos.
He's had about one good game all season, and been pretty much rubbish in the rest of them, and it's not like he hasn't had any opportunities - Rijkaard has used him over and over again despite often having much better options to choose from.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
See-saw, my optimism levels rise again following two articles in the Spanish press (google translations):

First from 'Sport':

Dos Santos, about to go to Tottenham
Everything indicates that the Mexican Giovani dos Santos will be the first to leave FC Barcelona
... In the next few hours Giovani dos Santos could be Tottenham Hotspur player who trains Juande Ramos. The Barcelona and the English team yesterday approached their positions to the point that the departure of Barcelona's Mexican player was made by both in England and Barcelona. The amount of the transaction would range between six and eight million [euros], depending on what is included in income variables.

On Thursday afternoon was the key to meeting the transaction between Txiki Begiristain and Pini Zahavi, representative of the Mexican footballer.

With progress Dos Santos to the Spurs closed the door to possible incorporation of young talent in the quarry at Inter, which could offer more money. The Mexican has always dominated the fact go to play England.

The footballer is still recovering at his home in the operation of the left ankle that was submitted after the league ended.

Then El Mundo (Catalan Paper i think):

FC Barcelona expects to receive about 8 million euros for the transfer of Giovani dos Santos to Tottenham. The London club was willing to speed up negotiations this weekend to tie the Mexican striker, considered a talent with a very promising future for Juande Ramos, current coach of the 'spurs', which will dispute the next edition of the Uefa Cup .

Marc UK, sports club vice president and technical secretary Txiki Begiristain are at the forefront of the talks with an emissary of the White Hart Lane club, which has been imposed to Inter in recent days in the bid by Giovani. The international Aztec, with 19 years of age last May 11, already had a long emigration that if he did not see clear options to consolidate in the Camp Nou. Dos Santos, which debuted officially with the first team in the just ended season and is recovering from an operation on the left ankle made on May 19, believes that his age can not be waiting for his opportunity and that the jump to the Premier League may prove decisive in this phase of his football career.

True to the philosophy imposed on its stage in Seville, Juande Ramos wants to bet on players who have not yet exploited. The Croatian midfielder Luka Modric, signed from Dinamo Zagreb for 26 million euros, is an example.

The Real Deal

See-saw, my optimism levels rise again following two articles in the Spanish press (google translations):

First from 'Sport':

Dos Santos, about to go to Tottenham
Everything indicates that the Mexican Giovani dos Santos will be the first to leave FC Barcelona
... In the next few hours Giovani dos Santos could be Tottenham Hotspur player who trains Juande Ramos. The Barcelona and the English team yesterday approached their positions to the point that the departure of Barcelona's Mexican player was made by both in England and Barcelona. The amount of the transaction would range between six and eight million [euros], depending on what is included in income variables.

On Thursday afternoon was the key to meeting the transaction between Txiki Begiristain and Pini Zahavi, representative of the Mexican footballer.

With progress Dos Santos to the Spurs closed the door to possible incorporation of young talent in the quarry at Inter, which could offer more money. The Mexican has always dominated the fact go to play England.

The footballer is still recovering at his home in the operation of the left ankle that was submitted after the league ended.

Then El Mundo (Catalan Paper i think):

FC Barcelona expects to receive about 8 million euros for the transfer of Giovani dos Santos to Tottenham. The London club was willing to speed up negotiations this weekend to tie the Mexican striker, considered a talent with a very promising future for Juande Ramos, current coach of the 'spurs', which will dispute the next edition of the Uefa Cup .

Marc UK, sports club vice president and technical secretary Txiki Begiristain are at the forefront of the talks with an emissary of the White Hart Lane club, which has been imposed to Inter in recent days in the bid by Giovani. The international Aztec, with 19 years of age last May 11, already had a long emigration that if he did not see clear options to consolidate in the Camp Nou. Dos Santos, which debuted officially with the first team in the just ended season and is recovering from an operation on the left ankle made on May 19, believes that his age can not be waiting for his opportunity and that the jump to the Premier League may prove decisive in this phase of his football career.

True to the philosophy imposed on its stage in Seville, Juande Ramos wants to bet on players who have not yet exploited. The Croatian midfielder Luka Modric, signed from Dinamo Zagreb for 26 million euros, is an example.
Glaston have you ever seen him play before?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Glaston have you ever seen him play before?
Nope, apart from a few highlights clips. It's muppetry perhaps, but I want him at Spurs based on the views of those who have seen him play a lot, based on Ronaldinho's glowing tributes and an intuition that he could become absolute dynamite.

Besides, if the fees reported in the spanish articles are corrrect, it's not an awful lot to gamble in the face of how good he potentially could become.

BlahRules

His nothing like Ronaldinho, i have seen him play his not that special as i first thought he would be.

Nonetheless he still has potential and can turn out to be a great buy

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
His nothing like Ronaldinho, i have seen him play his not that special as i first thought he would be.

Nonetheless he still has potential and can turn out to be a great buy
He's been getting better and more confident towards the end of season. He may eventually turn good under proper conduct.

BlahRules

He's been getting better and more confident towards the end of season. He may eventually turn good under proper conduct.
From what i have seen he is a one footed player, even though from the youtube clip it shows his not scared to use his right foot, could lack of confidence or pressure.

His dribbling skills was one of the major let down for, he struggled to beat players and when La Liga is the place for flair players, he didn't do it, and is a light weight, he falls down the second someone touches him.

When Ronaldinho hyped him up i immediately thought he will be type of player who beat players with ease with their tricks but his more of a Robben player to me.

I haven't yet seen his creative side of game, from the games i have seen, so he has a lot to prove when he comes to EPL.

soulblight3r

Do you mean 'lightweight' in the sense of work-rate/failing to track-back? Or lightweight in a physical sense - being easily muscled off the ball?

Either way I guess it could be true, but I've barely seen dos Santos play so I don't really know.

However, we've been lacking a left-footed LM for a long time now, so since January we've at least added (with Gilberto as well) to our left-footed LM/LW options, tho' I've also read that dos Santos often plays in RM, cutting inside onto his left-foot for shots at goal.

And for the moment it's enough for me to have brought in a player of whom Ronaldinho has said: "Gio possesses everything I love to watch. He improvises, he dribbles and he loves to score. I have adored watching him in training."
I was thinking about the physical side but now that you've mentioned it, their work-rate/tracking back could be a problem for you guys. Lennon has showed he can track back when ask to, not sure about Gio.

I think even if he signs for you, the difficult part would be to find a balance in the team. Maybe play 4-3-3 or something..

BlahRules

I was thinking about the physical side but now that you've mentioned it, their work-rate/tracking back could be a problem for you guys. Lennon has showed he can track back when ask to, not sure about Gio.

I think even if he signs for you, the difficult part would be to find a balance in the team. Maybe play 4-3-3 or something..
None Barca attacking players track back, and it has been shown against us.

kanchelskis14

None Barca attacking players track back, and it has been shown against us.
We hardly had them on the back foot now did we? Why would attacking players just start running backwards for the sake of it? There is an obsession on here with the defeinsive ability of attackers, even centre forwards. We should just sign Kuyt!

BlahRules

We hardly had them on the back foot now did we? Why would attacking players just start running backwards for the sake of it? There is an obsession on here with the defeinsive ability of attackers, even centre forwards. We should just sign Kuyt!
So your saying Messi, Ronaldihno, Eto, and co track backs? i haven't seen them, they always rely on the defensive midfielder and the intelligence of Xavi and Iniesta

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He's had about one good game all season, and been pretty much rubbish in the rest of them, and it's not like he hasn't had any opportunities - Rijkaard has used him over and over again despite often having much better options to choose from.
Fair summary.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
New starting GK I'd guess, perhaps with Robinson remaining as competition/cover or perhaps not.

Same first-choice back-four but with Dunne as additional cover for King.

New DM (no idea who - I'd love Veloso, but that seems out of our reach) - could even be Jenas switching to that role, since he's occasionally played there before and done well.

It's hard to guess the rest right now, but if Berbatov stays then maybe:

----------- New DM (or Jenas ?) -------
Lennon --- Modric - dos Santos
--------- Keane - Berbatov

Or perhaps 4 -3 -3 (switchable flexibly to a 5-man midfield) with Lennon and dos Santos either side of Berbatov and a main midfield 3 of Jenas - Modric - Zokora.

If Berbatov is sold and/or we sign Capel then feck knows - all the possible permutations are doing my head in right now.
If Berba goes Ramo could go 4-2-31 like he did at Sevilla when he played Saviola infront of 5 midfielders. In your case he would probably do this:
---------------------------New keeper-----------------------
----Hutton----------Woodgate-------King------------Gilberto/Bale

------------------New DM-----Jenas/Huddlestone-------------

---Lennon/Malbranque-------Modric-----------Dos Santos/Capel

-------------------------Keane--------------------------------

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
So your saying Messi, Ronaldihno, Eto, and co track backs? i haven't seen them, they always rely on the defensive midfielder and the intelligence of Xavi and Iniesta
Who fecking cares if they can track back? Especially if If they can keep the opponents fully occupied in the opposite half? Seriously....

Did an in ability to track back make a Zidane, for example, any less of an excellent player?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Nope, apart from a few highlights clips. It's muppetry perhaps, but I want him at Spurs based on the views of those who have seen him play a lot, based on Ronaldinho's glowing tributes and an intuition that he could become absolute dynamite.

Besides, if the fees reported in the spanish articles are corrrect, it's not an awful lot to gamble in the face of how good he potentially could become.
He is a player Spurs lack right now, someone who can combine skill and pace. He was over hyped to say the least but he is definitely a cut above Malbranque and Lennon. He and Capel will become the new wingers with Modric and possibly a new defensive midfielder in the centre. As long as Dunne comes, the team will do well. Defensively strong(injuries withstanding) and very creative all over, they still lack some real steel in midfield but that may not be too much of a problem.

Brwned

If Berba goes Ramo could go 4-2-31 like he did at Sevilla when he played Saviola infront of 5 midfielders. In your case he would probably do this:
---------------------------New keeper-----------------------
----Hutton----------Woodgate-------King------------Gilberto/Bale

------------------New DM-----Jenas/Huddlestone-------------

---Lennon/Malbranque-------Modric-----------Dos Santos/Capel

-------------------------Keane--------------------------------
I'm not sure Keane would do too well up front on his own, he did seem to suffer while playing there for Ireland. Other than that it looks like a great team.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I'm not sure Keane would do too well up front on his own, he did seem to suffer while playing there for Ireland. Other than that it looks like a great team.
In terms of a lone striker Bent would probably be the better choice (in the absence of Berbatov).

He often played the lone striker very well for Charlton and got a sackful of league goals: with Modric, Lennon, Jenas and dos Santos - midfield support that's miles better than what Charlton ever gave him - he would likely do the same for Spurs.

There's a popular misconception that Bent has flopped at Spurs, when in fact he has a better goals-per-minute-played ratio than Berbatov. His problem so far has been a lack of playing chances - not surprising when Keane/Berbatov have ruled the roost.

Brwned

In terms of a lone striker Bent would probably be the better choice (in the absence of Berbatov).

He often played the lone striker very well for Charlton and got a sackful of league goals: with Modric, Lennon, Jenas and dos Santos - midfield support that's miles better than what Charlton ever gave him - he would likely do the same for Spurs.

There's a popular misconception that Bent has flopped at Spurs, when in fact he has a better goals-per-minute-played ratio than Berbatov. His problem so far has been a lack of playing chances - not surprising when Keane/Berbatov have ruled the roost.
I was definitely thinking that myself but would you be willing to take Keane out of the team to accommodate that formation?

I thought that while Bent was overpriced, he almost definitely is the best striker in the Premier League who is regularly on the bench. I'm a big fan of his but he just isn't better than Berbatov or Keane.

I still think that Jenas in midfield makes your team easy to overrun, I think Poulsen could be a good shout for Spurs?

Brwned

Hey , you've finally seen the light Berbatov is massively over-rated as a top flight centre forward 12 league goals in 2006/7 and 15 last year.
:wenger:

He has a better shot to goal ratio than our current strikers, so at least he is an improvement there. Then you add in the fact he offers us the long ball option in desperate times, he's a fairly good header of the ball and he has more creativity than Tevez and there you have it, a great signing.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike him and his playing style, but he definitely seems to be one of those players that could instantly click with Rooney and they could have an almost telepathic connection, like Saha and Rooney did.

twitter thread suggester
:wenger:

He has a better shot to goal ratio than our current strikers, so at least he is an improvement there. Then you add in the fact he offers us the long ball option in desperate times, he's a fairly good header of the ball and he has more creativity than Tevez and there you have it, a great signing.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike him and his playing style, but he definitely seems to be one of those players that could instantly click with Rooney and they could have an almost telepathic connection, like Saha and Rooney did.
Oh no, don't get Storey started on our strikers.
Storey is an Arsenal supporter, which you'll soon find out if you stick around.

Brwned

Oh no, don't get Storey started on our strikers.
Storey is an Arsenal supporter, which you'll soon find out if you stick around.
I see, and he thinks that our strikers are shit?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I was definitely thinking that myself but would you be willing to take Keane out of the team to accommodate that formation?
For some games, yes. It depends on the nature of the opposition and the type of game best suited.

I think Poulsen could be a good shout for Spurs?
Effective DM, but dirty as hell - personally I wouldn't want that type of player at Spurs. I'd prefer a true footballing DM.