dos Santos to Spurs - looks like it

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He looks feckin useful, from what I've seen.

Watching Spurs should be fun next season.

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
My bet is he'll become a regular starter fairly quickly - maybe even right from the off, but perhaps after being eased in more slowly.

It's difficult to predict where he'll be played, since he can play in RM, LM or as a 2nd striker. If I had to guess, and without knowing who else will be signed and who will be sold, then I'd say he'll eventually play in LM ahead of Malbranque - if only because dos Santos is left-footed and Malbranque isn't.

I don't know who, if anyone, will be sold to make way for him. Hopefully Ramos wants to maintain squad depth even if one or two players slip down the pecking order.
Judging by your targets though you will end up with a big squad, a similar size to ours this season gone, but due to our injury problems most of them got used so everyone was fairly happy.

Whereas your physio's ect are obiously a lot better than ours so your going to have a lot of unhappy players. If you don't sell many players this Summer I would expect Ramos to have a big clear out in January.

Who's next on the Spurs radar then?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Can't say I've been that impressed with him yet, but it'll be interesting to see if he progresses.

Whither Darren Bent?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If you don't sell many players this Summer I would expect Ramos to have a big clear out in January.
There'll be a fairly big clear out this summer in any case methinks with Ghaly, Stalteri, Gardner, Lee and Rocha almost dead certs to go, and Chimbonda is fairly likely.

And of course Berbatov is the big question.

Who's next on the Spurs radar then?
Not sure. There are fairly strong rumours about Diego Capel from Seville, plus Coloccini (Argentinian CB from Deportivo de La Coruña) may be a runner, as may (?) McGregor (Rangers GK).

Apart from that there's the usual stuff linking us with every player under the Sun.

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
There'll be a fairly big clear out this summer in any case methinks with Ghaly, Stalteri, Gardner, Lee and Rocha almost deads certs to go, and Chimbonda is fairly likely.

And of course Berbatov is the big question.

Not sure. There are fairly strong rumours about Diego Capel from Seville, plus Coloccini (Argentinian CB from Deportivo de La Coruña) may be a runner, as may (?) McGregor (Rangers GK).

Apart from that there's the usual stuff linking us with every player under the Sun.
Capel would be good but he is a left winger if you sign him where will that leave Dos Santos?

I'd happily take Chimbonda for a few million, it will give us some decent back up for RB rather than Pantsil or Spector. Wouldn't be interested in any of the others.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
That is a pretty exceptional deal.

Modric and Dos Santos - perhaps a little lightweight?
dos Santos perhaps, at least maybe until he settles in and (hopefully) adapts.

But from what I've read Modric is a highly combative player - he says the Croatian league is exceptionally tough physically and so has no fears about coping with the Prem. We shall see.

Danish Voice

Honestly, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Dos Santos didn't look like anything special to me in the Barca games I watched last season. He looked like a guy playing at a level too high for him.

If he was such a wonderboy, would Barca have sold him for up to 8 million? I doubt it...

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If he was such a wonderboy, would Barca have sold him for up to 8 million? I doubt it...
What you're forgetting is that he wanted regular first team football, said he wouldn't accept being sent out on loan and that if he left it would be permanent.

Barca couldn't guarantee him regular starts - Spurs probably can. That's the key to this transfer IMO, plus the fact that:

* Ramos is highly respected in Spain and also gives dos Santos a spanish-speaking manager to work with.

* The Prem is a highly attractive proposition to many players.

* He probably regards Spurs as an up-coming team and a reasonably exciting and challenging prospect, all the more so with Modric now on-board.

And of course Barca are now our feeder club ;)

Feed Me

I'm hungry
dos Santos perhaps, at least maybe until he settles in and (hopefully) adapts.

But from what I've read Modric is a highly combative player - he says the Croatian league is exceptionally tough physically and so has no fears about coping with the Prem. We shall see.
I've got to say though, I've been very impressed by the calibre of player Ramos has been bringing in.

Hutton, Woodgate, Modric and Dos Santos. Not too shabby.

Danish Voice

What you're forgetting is that he wanted regular first team football, said he wouldn't accept being sent out on loan and that if he left it would be permanent.

Barca couldn't guarantee him regular starts - Spurs probably can. That's the key to this transfer IMO, plus the fact that:

* Ramos is highly respected in Spain and also gives dos Santos a spanish-speaking manager to work with.

* The Prem is a highly attractive proposition to many players.

* He probably regards Spurs as an up-coming team and a reasonably exciting and challenging prospect, all the more so with Modric now on-board.

And of course Barca are now our feeder club ;)
But why sell him for that sort of money. If he really was such an outstanding prospect they would never let him go for just 4 million and some clauses. He's worth a chance for Spurs at this price, but I can't see the next big thing has arrived.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
But why sell him for that sort of money. If he really was such an outstanding prospect they would never let him go for just 4 million and some clauses. He's worth a chance for Spurs at this price, but I can't see the next big thing has arrived.
Well, Barca have hedged their bets by adding in some sell-on clauses.

I also have a strange feeling that they'll be other dealings between Barca and Spurs this summer - if this proves true it may well have a large bearing on the dos Santos fee.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
His progress has stagnated this season, and he turned down a new contract so I thought Barca would let him go for 6-8m as speculated before. But I'm surprised there wasn't more top clubs involved, I think he is more developed than Ben Arfa for example, who's being touted around for three times his value.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Is there a buy back clause, seems silly to me if Barca sold without including one
No, Levy would never accept that in a million years.

But there are two sell-on clauses: 20% of the fee if sold within two years, or 10% if sold thereafter.

twitter thread suggester
He looks feckin useful, from what I've seen.
I take it you haven't watched him that much then, Sinch.
He's been pretty much useless in 95% of the matches I've seen (which is about 90% of Barcelona's matches this season)

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I take it you haven't watched him that much then, Sinch.
He's been pretty much useless in 95% of the matches I've seen (which is about 90% of Barcelona's matches this season)
I would concur with that.

Strikes me as yet another uber-hyped kid who doesn't look like delivering on his early promise.

Transfer fee seems on the low side but it also reflects how poorly rated he is at Barca (and by the other major powers in Europe who could have easily trumped Spurs with a bigger offer and/or the promise of CL football).

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Barcelona have confirmed that Giovani Dos Santos has signed for Tottenham.

The 19-year-old Mexican international has signed a five-year deal at White Hart Lane and will officially move to White Hart Lane on 1st July.

Spurs will pay an initial 6million euros (£4.7million) for Giovani with the fee possibly rising by another £3.9million depending on appearances.

Barca will retain 20 per cent of the financial rights to any possible transfer of the player during his first two years in North London and ten per cent thereafter.

Giovani, son of former Brazilian international Zizinho, came through the youth ranks at Camp Nou and he has Spanish citizenship so does not require a work-permit to play in England.

The player is currently sidelined after being operated on for a floating bone in his left ankle on May 19th, but is expected to recover within a month.

Tottenham held off stern interest from a number of clubs, including Premier League rivals Manchester City, to seal Giovani's signature.
from sky

rocks13

Hasn't looked anything out of the ordinary to me. Bostock's the better signing.
But why would you expect anything 'out of the ordinary' for £4 million?

The guy has just turned 19, he's been good enough to play a fair few games for Barca and broken into the Mexico team.

Even if he doesn't live up to the original hype it seems like a bargain buy who'll offer a decent attacking option in Spurs squad.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Hasn't looked anything out of the ordinary to me.
Wikpedia:

During the FIFA U-17 World Championship 2005, Dos Santos managed to assist half of the goals of the Mexican team during the tournament, a fact that, combined with his abilities, awarded him the Adidas Silver Ball as the second best player of the tournament.

During the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup .. Dos Santos was awarded the Adidas Bronze Ball, behind the Argentines, Sergio Aguero and Maximiliano Moralez.

Made his first appearance for Barca's first team aged just 18 in a competitive league game, and made his CL debut for Barca a few days later.

By no stretch of the imagination can he be described as 'ordinary' .

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Can't help wondering why Barca were so willing to let him go.

Something tells me Spurs might have been sold a pup there.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Wikpedia:

During the FIFA U-17 World Championship 2005, Dos Santos managed to assist half of the goals of the Mexican team during the tournament, a fact that, combined with his abilities, awarded him the Adidas Silver Ball as the second best player of the tournament.

During the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup .. Dos Santos was awarded the Adidas Bronze Ball, behind the Argentines, Sergio Aguero and Maximiliano Moralez.

Made his first appearance for Barca's first team aged just 18 in a competitive league game, and made his CL debut for Barca a few days later.

By no stretch of the imagination can he be described as 'ordinary' .
I watched that Tournament, and he was superb. But that was years ago.

He hasn't really progressed since, hence him being sold to Tottenham.

starman

Is there a buy back clause, seems silly to me if Barca sold without including one
No, Levy would never accept that in a million years.

But there are two sell-on clauses: 20% of the fee if sold within two years, or 10% if sold thereafter.
I wouldn't be so sure, both clubs could have decided too remain quiet about it if the day came that Barca wanted him back.
Considering the fee is so low and him still being only 19 as well as being touted as one of the best young players in the world Barca would be silly not to have included the option were he too flourish in England and live up too his promise.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wikpedia:

Aye and Sinama-Pongolle won the gold ball for being the best player in the tournament, a few years before that.

Remember him?

rocks13

Aye and Sinama-Pongolle won the gold ball for being the best player in the tournament, a few years before that.

Remember him?
Aye and another former Barcelona youth product Cesc Fabregas won it a couple of years after that.

Remember him?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I think he's better than Lennon to be honest - a better all round player. If Lennon isn't too lightweight for the PL then dos Santos definately isn't either. Good move for him and Spurs.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Remember him?
Unlike dos Santos he didn't go on to win a further award two years later at the U-20 WC, and nor did he go on to play for a team like Barca in the CL.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I wouldn't be so sure, both clubs could have decided too remain quiet about it if the day came that Barca wanted him back.
Considering the fee is so low and him still being only 19 as well as being touted as one of the best young players in the world Barca would be silly not to have included the option were he too flourish in England and live up too his promise.
I'm totally sure Levy would not have agreed to such a deal - he's far too astute, has never has agreed to such a thing before and the fact would leak out if he had.

Another factor in the low fee - besides the fact that dos Santos wanted to leave for more regular first team football - is that I believe he was in the last year of his contract.

REd FUn DevIl

Glaston you may be very happy about this but i still dont think your team will get that fourth place you have been wanting for so long.

Am i a bad person for saying that? :(