Music Drake

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why is there always such a big hype with him? I don't like his songs or his lyrics, but everyone seems to have a massive boner about his songs.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Why is there always such a big hype with him? I don't like his songs or his lyrics, but everyone seems to have a massive boner about his songs.
I like old Drake, not anymore though, I don't think he's tried as hard for a long time, his first few (So Far Gone, Thank Me Later, Take care (to a degree)) were a lot better after "Room for improvement" since his "nothing was the same", it's literally like his album names are very apt.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I'm not too much into him either but i'll give it a go.

"His music resonates with a large group of people, thus he is a huge pop artist and a lot of people are likely to talk about him"

I don't think these large groups of people care about if you like him or not.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I like old Drake, not anymore though, I don't think he's tried as hard for a long time, his first few (So Far Gone, Thank Me Later, Take care (to a degree)) were a lot better after "Room for improvement" since his "nothing was the same", it's literally like his album names are very apt.
Really? Take Care's lyrics pissed me right off. Purely because people kept praising him as a lyricist so probably not his fault but still, an example line from the song - "here's what I'l do, I'l take care of you". Chuck Rihanna in the mix and it made me hate it more.

That "one dance" track is what everyone is really loving these days, another that I just don't get.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Really? Take Care's lyrics pissed me right off. Purely because people kept praising him as a lyricist so probably not his fault but still, an example line from the song - "here's what I'l do, I'l take care of you". Chuck Rihanna in the mix and it made me hate it more.

That "one dance" track is what everyone is really loving these days, another that I just don't get.
Well you're confusing his commercial singles which are made purely to sell & increase hype, for his songs with actual lyrical content, so no wonder you're getting confused.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well you're confusing his commercial singles which are made purely to sell & increase hype, for his songs with actual lyrical content, so no wonder you're getting confused.
The hype around him stems more from the commerical songs or the ones with actual lyrical content?

If the former I think my question still stands - why the hype?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The hype around him stems more from the commerical songs or the ones with actual lyrical content?

If the former I think my question still stands - why the hype?
I can only speak for myself, I started liking drake in 2007 (Comeback season mixtape specifically) and the hype around him then was because he was using soulful hip-hop beats to talk about topics that didn't involve gangs, killing, drugs etc.

The hype around him, in my opinion, stems from a combination of him being comfortable to talk about his emotions on a track, while also talking about the stereotypical topics in rap (namely girls, cars, money - still no affiliation to drugs or that nature) plus his versatility to sing one on one track, rap on the next and do both in one album. That appeals to a wider audience, which garners more hype & gets you more fans.

He's not the most skilful rapper, he'll never be known as the greatest of all time, but he's a very good rapper who makes very good songs.

No he wont be everyone's preference, but that's the point of music, it's subjective.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

I don't think either of them are great lyrically, I just find them mildly catchy, it's very commercial as @vi1lain said. If you want good drake, go back to SFG and TML

prath92

Good rappers have always been both lyrically and commercially good in the same tracks. You don't see Eminem's commercial tracks like Rap God being inept lyrically. Same with guys like jay-Z, early ice cube, dr Dre, 2pac, etc. Unlike guys like 50 cent (and most other g unit guys) who mostly have the same formula for most of their songs. Drake is more of the latter.

GBBQ

Just ignore him, he's not worth it.

Earl Sweatshirt is the way and the light.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Good rappers have always been both lyrically and commercially good in the same tracks. You don't see Eminem's commercial tracks like Rap God being inept lyrically. Same with guys like jay-Z, early ice cube, dr Dre, 2pac, etc. Unlike guys like 50 cent (and most other g unit guys) who mostly have the same formula for most of their songs. Drake is more of the latter.
I think that rule changes depending on the era that you're in. Commerce is driven by demand. In the past, demand for commercial rap songs included having some lyrical depth.
Today that's not the case, you can see this with rappers like Drake who's earlier singles were still lyrically good, in comparison to now where it's all about the beat, and how the song sounds as whole, not so much how many double entendre's you fit in one bar.

You can't compare what rappers like Jay, Dre, Tupac etc did in their tracks to rappers now. It's completely different.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think that rule changes depending on the era that you're in. Commerce is driven by demand. In the past, demand for commercial rap songs included having some lyrical depth.
Today that's not the case, you can see this with rappers like Drake who's earlier singles were still lyrically good, in comparison to now where it's all about the beat, and how the song sounds as whole, not so much how many double entendre's you fit in one bar.

You can't compare what rappers like Jay, Dre, Tupac etc did in their tracks to rappers now. It's completely different.
And this is why Biggie is the GOAT to me. Can't think of a party track he has I would consider "dumbed down" lyrically. One More Chance comes to mind...

First things first, I poppa! - Freaks all the honies!
Dummies! - Playboy bunnies, those wantin' money.
Those the ones I like cause they don't get Nathan
But penetration, unless it smells like sanitation.
Garbage, I turn like doorknobs,
Heart throb? Never! - Black and ugly as ever!
However - I stay Coogi down to the socks
Rings and watch filled with rocks!
And my jam knock in your Mitsubishi
Girls pee pee when they see me navajos creep me in they tee pee!
As I lay down laws like Alan Coppet
Stop it! - If you think they gonna make a prophet!
Don't see my ones, don't see my guns! - Get it?
Now tell ya friends Poppa hit it then split it!
In two as I flow with the Junior M.A.F.I.A.
I don't know what the hell's stoppin' ya!
I'm clockin ya, Versace shades watchin' ya!
Once ya grin, I'm in, game begin!
First I talk about how I dresses this,
In diamond necklasses, stretch Lexuses!
The sex is just immaculate from the back I get
Deeper and deeper! - Help ya reach the
Climax that your man can't make
Call him, tell him you'll be home real late, and sing the break!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
And this is why Biggie is the GOAT to me. Can't think of a party track he has I would consider "dumbed down" lyrically. One More Chance comes to mind...

First things first, I poppa! - Freaks all the honies!
Dummies! - Playboy bunnies, those wantin' money.
Those the ones I like cause they don't get Nathan
But penetration, unless it smells like sanitation.
Garbage, I turn like doorknobs,
Heart throb? Never! - Black and ugly as ever!
However - I stay Coogi down to the socks
Rings and watch filled with rocks!
And my jam knock in your Mitsubishi
Girls pee pee when they see me navajos creep me in they tee pee!
As I lay down laws like Alan Coppet
Stop it! - If you think they gonna make a prophet!
Don't see my ones, don't see my guns! - Get it?
Now tell ya friends Poppa hit it then split it!
In two as I flow with the Junior M.A.F.I.A.
I don't know what the hell's stoppin' ya!
I'm clockin ya, Versace shades watchin' ya!
Once ya grin, I'm in, game begin!
First I talk about how I dresses this,
In diamond necklasses, stretch Lexuses!
The sex is just immaculate from the back I get
Deeper and deeper! - Help ya reach the
Climax that your man can't make
Call him, tell him you'll be home real late, and sing the break!
Biggie is the GOAT, unquestionably.

The amount of people who copy/borrow his flow to this day, and don't even sound anywhere near as great as him.

I was having this debate the other week with my friends, in my opinion - Biggie has the best delivery & flow of all time, and Nas has the best 'rap voice'

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I can't stand Drake. The only rap of his I kind of enjoyed was his verse on Asap Rocky's fecking Problem.

Him and Rihanna are two of the most annoying celebs out there only surpassed by Taylor Swift.

Skip to 2.17 on this track and hear Drake's verse...

Great lyricist :lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I can't stand Drake. The only rap of his I kind of enjoyed was his verse on Asap Rocky's fecking Problem.

Him and Rihanna are two of the most annoying celebs out there only surpassed by Taylor Swift.

Skip to 2.17 on this track and hear Drake's verse...

Great lyricist :lol:
250 million views on youtube alone for a single... again it's commercial so wont display any great level of lyrical nuance, the point is to sell and hit the most people and they achieved that, whether you like the song or not.

sigh never mind.

I'm with @adexkola I can't be bothered anymore.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Because he's shite and people like listening to shite.

You've got people liking garbage like Future or Designer so.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He's shit, and makes music for teenage girls.

If you're gonna point to youtube views, Bieber must be the greatest musician ever.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
No need to drag Future's good name into this, his 5 peat between Honest and Purple Reign is unmatched by few.

I would have defended Drake before Views but now I'm just too apathetic.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He's shit, and makes music for teenage girls.

If you're gonna point to youtube views, Bieber must be the greatest musician ever.
In the context of appealing to a mass audience, generating revenue and selling singles - it's pretty relevant.

Opinions on whether or not the song in question is good or indicative of an artists' musical ability, is purely subjective.

EASTSIDE777

Hate him or not he makes a hell of alot of money putting out his so called garbage. Can't knock that.

prath92

It isnt that different. Its not like Dre had average beats. Some of the beats in songs produced by Dre are seriously exceptional (aint nuthin but a g thang or Still D.R.E for instance). Even today guys like Kendrick and Anderson Paak who are lyrically good. Guys like 50 cent had no innovation and thus after a few of albums, it stopped being successful. He is going to be someone like T Pain or Akon in that he will have a couple of albums which will be still remembered but probably wouldn't be around in about 5 years from now.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It isnt that different. Its not like Dre had average beats. Some of the beats in songs produced by Dre are seriously exceptional (aint nuthin but a g thang or Still D.R.E for instance). Even today guys like Kendrick and Anderson Paak who are lyrically good. Guys like 50 cent had no innovation and thus after a few of albums, it stopped being successful. He is going to be someone like T Pain or Akon in that he will have a couple of albums which will be still remembered but probably wouldn't be around in about 5 years from now.
It's incredibly different.
I'm an old school hip hop fan for the most part, and I can't stand rappers these days like Future, Lil' Yachty etc.
But that doesn't mean I can't recognise the impact that they've had on rap in the last ~5 years.

Yes guys like Dre, 50, Biggie had great beats - but we still recited entire verses, or clever bars and used that to measure the rappers skill.
The rise of the super producers didn't take away from a rappers ability to rhyme - think back to Neptunes, Timbaland, Swizz Beatz etc, still producing some of the greatest hip-hop beats ever, and we still recited the verses - the two worked in tandem.

Rap isn't like that anymore.
I'm the biggest Kendrick fan around, but do you know why the likes of Kendrick doesn't get Drake levels of notoriety? Even Future or Young Thug levels of notoriety?
Because he cares more about the content of his songs, and the average listener just wants to hear a good beat, and they don't even understand half the things he writes about because frankly, they don't care as long as it sounds good.

The debate behind why rap has shifted focus is for another day, but the point remains that comparing new school artists, to old school artists especially without context doesn't give any kind of conclusion.

JoaquinJoaquin

Biggie is the GOAT, unquestionably.

The amount of people who copy/borrow his flow to this day, and don't even sound anywhere near as great as him.

I was having this debate the other week with my friends, in my opinion - Biggie has the best delivery & flow of all time, and Nas has the best 'rap voice'
You can crucify me if you want but for me Jay-Z is the GOAT (I don't include the last 3 albums mind).

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You can crucify me if you want but for me Jay-Z is the GOAT (I don't include the last 3 albums mind).
Biggie taught Jay everything, including the switch up in his flow & delivery.

For that reason I can't justify putting Jay above Biggie on any list, because had Biggie still been alive, Jay would've been a sidekick/best friend forever.

But that's my own opinion, thinking Jay is the GOAT is commendable. Nas is always will be better though. ;)

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I love Drake. He's a great lyricist when he wants to be although I also see him in a different light after the ghostwriter thing.

I think Views is a great album. It doesn't have much rapping on it so I'm surprised that I like it so much. The two things he put out before that were terrible though. 'If you're reading this it's too late' and the album with Future.

Also, he's just put out a song dissing Kid Cudi who has just checked into rehab with anxiety and depression. Maybe it's just because I have a soft spot for Kid Cudi but I think that's a really weak move.

Aint gota Kalou

Don't rate him but get his appeal. Some of the production he raps/sings over is amazing. He's more of a pop-rapper/singer than someone who has claim to be really lyrical.

Member 5225

Agreed with OP. Don't get the hype and have put it down to the fact his audience are teenage girls.

The Game on the other hand :drool:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I love Drake. He's a great lyricist when he wants to be although I also see him in a different light after the ghostwriter thing.

I think Views is a great album. It doesn't have much rapping on it so I'm surprised that I like it so much. The two things he put out before that were terrible though. 'If you're reading this it's too late' and the album with Future.

Also, he's just put out a song dissing Kid Cudi who has just checked into rehab with anxiety and depression. Maybe it's just because I have a soft spot for Kid Cudi but I think that's a really weak move.
He won't be the first rapper to give a low blow on wax.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I don't understand southern rappers is code for I don't listen to enough rap music so you should completely disregard my opinion on said subject.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
At times he has made some great music. And for all the talk about him disregarding lyricism he always has songs like 9AM in Dallas, 5AM in Toronto, 6PM in New York, Dreams Money Can Buy, The Calm, The Resistance, Tuscan Leather, 30 For 30 Freestyle, Views, etc which were all songs without really a hook and were just lyrics.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Nobody really takes him seriously but at the same time he has come out with some great songs, whether he wrote them or not is another thing but he's a memers absolute dream.