Gaming Dreams (PS4) | Media Molecule Game Creator

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Ok I'm sure most people with an interest in games has heard about this 'game' for PS4 called Dreams where you can create your own game, movie, short film, piece of interactive art or music. It's been in development now for about a decade and it sounds completely groundbreaking, well to not much fanfare it got released yesterday & It's been getting rave reviews;

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dreams

& here's a good review that breaks it all down nicely:

Also here's a nice insight into the level of experiences that can be created

Seems like something that would allow creative people to get creative without hitting them in the pocket, and gives you access to a boundless number of games for the price of 1

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
And what you now think it is.

Funnily enough my response would be exactly the same as it was all the way back then when I offered to help the likes of Alock and KingEric and truly make a game. This is exactly the same thing with the exact same flaw...

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
And what you now think it is.

Funnily enough my response would be exactly the same as it was all the way back then when I offered to help the likes of Alock and KingEric and truly make a game. This is exactly the same thing with the exact same flaw...
Well nothing is flawless. Even though it's early days I feel this seems like a far more comprehensive version of what project spark promised, that barb to Alock was just an admittedly bit of provocative childishness the gaming side of the forum has missed but from what I've seen so far from just surfing the various 'creations' the past hour or so it's a very enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Well nothing is flawless. Even though it's early days I feel this seems like a far more comprehensive version of what project spark promised, that barb to Alock was just an admittedly bit of provocative childishness the gaming side if the forum has missed but from what I've seen so far from just surfing the various 'creations' the past hour or so it's a very enjoyable experience.
My friend, I'm the last person to downplay creativity and the chance to showcase it, I came up from that very thing.

It's a different world from when Spark came out, the likes of roblox and even the .io games have taken off. However, these things really live and die on the hope there's enough creativity. And when people find out how hard it is to actually make even the most simplistic game work...well...

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
My friend, I'm the last person to downplay creativity and the chance to showcase it, I came up from that very thing.

It's a different world from when Spark came out, the likes of roblox and even the .io games have taken off. However, these things really live and die on the hope there's enough creativity. And when people find out how hard it is to actually make even the most simplistic game work...well...
Well id imagine thats true, not that I'd know of course. Though I don't think games like these that allow folk to express & explore their creativeness will do any harm, hopefully even a number of talented people could get hired or some sort of monetary reward for their work..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sounds like a very Interesting and fun concept however:
  • I imagine you'd eventually have to keep paying to buy content?
  • Can see it basically being a hub of people expressing their ameteur ideas, which in the end won't actually be very good. For example I've tended to nowadays play only games of a certain quality. Don't have time to waste on average stuff. And from what I understand, making a top class game takes a hell of a lot of work and technical ability.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
This worth getting then?
I've not got it but watched footage. Depends what you're looking for. Most of the games aren't fully fledged and there's probably not a lot of replayability, but some of the stuff looks amazing. If you're into the game creation side, it looks accessible (and there are plenty of tutorials online on youtube for anything from making realistic looking grass to making houses).

The subreddit is a good place to look: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Dreams/

PlayStation now advertising the games (that random people made) within the game:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Worth getting?
I gave up trying to make my own levels. Way too hard imo and so time consuming. Every now and then I’ll load it and player other people’s levels but I did get a bit bored of it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I gave up trying to make my own levels. Way too hard imo and so time consuming. Every now and then I’ll load it and player other people’s levels but I did get a bit bored of it.
I’m impressed at what they’ve done, release a game engine for people to use but it highlights why dev teams are teams. Too much for one person to do in any reasonable timeframe.