Film Dune

Lyng

Currently sitting in a cinema in Herning waitung for Dune 2 to start. About 3 or 4 rows down is another lad reading the Caf

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Currently sitting in a cinema in Herning waitung for Dune 2 to start. About 3 or 4 rows down is another lad reading the Caf
We are everywhere :D

Gonna go again to see Part 2 at the weekend. Can't fecking wait, watched in IMAX first time and definitely one of my best and favourite cinema experiences.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Very good continuation of the first movie.

I'm not well versed in film lingo but it felt like it didn't flow as other movies do. The scenes sometimes felt quite blunt in how they were cut between each other and almost as if they were like mini-episodes within a film rather than a continuous flow. I didn't not like that though.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very good film, but I preferred the first one. Even though it’s quite long, at times it feels rushed with some of the sequences & character development. Visually, it’s one of the best films I’ve seen.

MadMike

Decent film, credit to Villeneuve. But felt quite a bit rushed imo. I liked how they showed Jessica's connection with the fetus of Alia, but they didn't handle Paul's prescience and ethical dilemmas it created well enough. There's many concepts in the books that didn't make it into film.

That said, I don't quite know how else it could be done. It could have benefitted from another hour of building, but you don't make a 4h film. And if you split it in two films, you can't have one film that is all building and no action or surprises. The first film had the betrayal of the Atreides, the "war" with the Harkonnens and the death of Leto. If it was split into 3 films, what would the 2nd film bring in terms of excitement?

This could have also made an excellent miniseries of 8 hour-long episodes.

Lyng

We are everywhere :D

Gonna go again to see Part 2 at the weekend. Can't fecking wait, watched in IMAX first time and definitely one of my best and favourite cinema experiences.
If you liked the first one I am sure you will enjoy this one. Fantastic film.

Lyng

This will be my second time viewing it man, adored it first time in IMAX. Can't wait to see it again.
ahhh I see. Yeah saw th first one in Imax. Sadly wasnt able to see the second one in Imax :( definately the kind of movie that makes IMAX worth it.

redcucumber

You guys are almost making me want to step inside a movie theatre again. Almost.
?? Going to the cinema is great. My local is an independent and shows loads of foreign films, old classics and serve good food and alcohol. Use em or lose em!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
?? Going to the cinema is great. My local is an independent and shows loads of foreign films, old classics and serve good food and alcohol. Use em or lose em!
Just hardly know anyone that goes to em anymore is the thing. Ever since we all have 70 in or more TVs etc and since Covid even some places have lost a lot of money. Plus so many movies get released on streaming shortly after or even concurrently. Maybe more of a US problem I dunno. It is nice to not have to deal with a bunch of cnts who won't shut up.

Herman Toothrot

I finally saw it this week. It's brilliant. I'm somewhat Denis Villeneuve agnostic, but what he's done here is brilliant. The second half felt every bit as emotionally charged as the fall of House Atreides. I'm going again next week.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Saw it for the 2nd time, which is the first time I've done so at the cinema in...I can't even recall. Must give props to Rebecca Ferguson who in previous roles I’ve found a bit ‘one note’, like her entire character is based on being intensely concerned with her thoughts or stressed out; I’ve never found that impressive since I do that performance at work everyday.… But she took it to another level here.

Happy to hear there’s a 3rd in the works. I trust Denis to pull it off; what he did with Chani and Alia was bold but mostly worked.

stevoc

Watched it last night, really enjoyed it.

One thing that bothered me though right through the whole film. Paul is living with the Fremen and has fully committed to immersing himself in their culture and learning their way of life. They are a desert people who don't waste even a tear drop of water, all the fremen men sport beards, presumably as they can't waste water on shaving. Yet despite this Paul manages to find enough water to have a clean shave every day.

How?

Chairman Steve

Watched it last night, really enjoyed it.

One thing that bothered me though right through the whole film. Paul is living with the Fremen and has fully committed to immersing himself in their culture and learning their way of life. They are a desert people who don't waste even a tear drop of water, all the fremen men sport beards, presumably as they can't waste water on shaving. Yet despite this Paul manages to find enough water to have a clean shave every day.

How?
Applies Veet to his face :p

stevoc

Applies Veet to his face :p
That could be it, during the attack when he escaped for his life he remembered a 12 month supply of veet. :lol:

Though I think I found the real world reason for his lack of desert beard.

Mike Smalling

It's gotten up to a very healthy box office number that is well beyond it's estimated break-even point. Good to see.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I loved the first film. I thought the second was visually stunning but hadn’t a fecking clue what was going on half the time. Should I have as someone who hasn't read the books? It just felt impossible to keep track of the lore and the massive ensemble and I got a bit fed up towards the end.

Also Timothy chalamet is so boring and I’ve no idea why Hollywood decided he should now be in everything.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Looked great but a bit up itself and lots of mystic nonsense, but the biggest issue is that we are 5 hrs 20 mins in and an end is nowhere in sight.

I like Villeneuve and sci fi but Arrival and Blade Runner 2949 are far better films. Hopefully Dune 3 will bring it all together.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I loved the first film. I thought the second was visually stunning but hadn’t a fecking clue what was going on half the time. Should I have as someone who hasn't read the books? It just felt impossible to keep track of the lore and the massive ensemble and I got a bit fed up towards the end.

Also Timothy chalamet is so boring and I’ve no idea why Hollywood decided he should now be in everything.
Probably? I haven’t read the books and basically followed what was going on. Bar one or two minor quibbles. I was stoned out of my tiny mind too.

I’ve now watched Dune 2 four times in IMAX. It really is a cinematic masterpiece.

Top of the range audio design and special FX mixed with incredible cinematography and direction. Brilliant.

Herman Toothrot

Looked great but a bit up itself and lots of mystic nonsense, but the biggest issue is that we are 5 hrs 20 mins in and an end is nowhere in sight.

I like Villeneuve and sci fi but Arrival and Blade Runner 2949 are far better films. Hopefully Dune 3 will bring it all together.
Spoiler. It doesn't. I think your expectations need to be somewhat tempered when it comes to Dune. It never really ends.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Spoiler. It doesn't. I think your expectations need to be somewhat tempered when it comes to Dune. It never really ends.
Part 2 felt like that at times. Such a long run time to say/do so little. Thank goodness the action and lovely cinematography was worth the time investment to some degree.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I thought it resolved quite nicely.
Resolved? A huge war was starting and the woman he would "love forever" had been rejected and was buggering of to do something or other. Seemed far from resolved to me. Both of us looked at each other a bit stunned at the end. "Was that it" was my wife's response. So little really happened in terms of plot and it took so long to get there. I didn't hate it at all but what a missed opportunity IMO.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Resolved? A huge war was starting and the woman he would "love forever" had been rejected and was buggering of to do something or other. Seemed far from resolved to me. Both of us looked at each other a bit stunned at the end. "Was that it" was my wife's response. So little really happened in terms of plot and it took so long to get there. I didn't hate it at all but what a missed opportunity IMO.
Resolved in how it was mainly about Paul's journey coming to accept his role and picking up the mantle. That was the point of these 2 films, I think - I haven't read the books.

I find it strange anyone would feel it's unresolved or little has happened over those 2 films.
I'm somewhat ambivalent about him, but I've kinda warmed to his acting style, that is more restrained and minimalistic than others - it actually suits quite a few of his roles. I was also quite impressed by his transformation during the last 30 odd minutes of Dune 2, I thought he was great.

Also, by age 28, roles such as those in Call me by your name (a masterpiece, in great part due to his wonderful performance), Beautiful boy, The King, Little Women, both Dunes, Bones and all and The French dispatch (a wonky film but his part was pretty fun), is pretty impressive. The guy is obviously talented. I'm curious about A complete unknown - him as Dylan seems like it could work, and Mangold is a bit of an underrated director.

And I'll use any excuse to share that I once dated a girl that had been on a couple of dates with Chalamet before he made it big and had dumped him because he was a bit of an arse back then apparently, so I'm better than Chalamet basically.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Resolved in how it was mainly about Paul's journey coming to accept his role and picking up the mantle. That was the point of these 2 films, I think - I haven't read the books.

I find it strange anyone would feel it's unresolved or little has happened over those 2 films.
I agree with this. As a book reader, it doesn't end the Dune saga but as a stand-alone story, the ending of the 2 films makes total sense.