Film Dune

Drainy

A pitch-perfect sequel, I thought it eclipsed the original.
BR2049 is a better film as a whole than the original, in my opinion, but the first film is still very good, influential and had a peak legendary quotable moment that made it very memorable

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
BR2049 is a better film as a whole than the original, in my opinion, but the first film is still very good, influential and had a peak legendary quotable moment that made it very memorable
Blade Runner The Final Cut is a better film but 2049 is excellent.

Mike Smalling

One small but great thing about Blade Runner: 2049 is that they made those three short films with additional background and world building. They are not necessary to understand the main story, but add a little extra and worked great to build the hype. Especially the one with Sapper Morton.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Blade Runner 2049 looks incredible but it's clearly very overly long for no reason, as - save for the opening scene with Batista - is largely dull as dishwater. Also the ending is rubbish.

I feel I'm a bit of an outliar when it comes to Villenueve though.... people swear by that and Arrival as being his best works/masterpieces, when both are just style over substance and really pretty meh... definitely don't hold a candle to Dune / Sicario and Prisoners.
I think you'd love Incendies in that case. For me, that one is much better than Sicario, Prisoners, and Arrival.

(I find it harder to compare to Incendies with Blade Runner 2049 and Dune 1/2, given the enormous difference in scale.)
I think I still hold up Enemy as my favourite film from him. I like how condensed it is.
Which , strangely enough when I watched it before DV was attached to direct the BR sequel, the look and claustrophobic minimalist nature of the film was what Fancher originally saw when he was on his first draft of writing Blade Runner. The original BR was going to be , stylistically, very similar to Enemy.
I think Enemy as a puzzle film is perfect for Villeneuve's general cinematographic style, which I feel is always a little calculating and distant.

Simbo

I might be remembering it wrong, but isn't the battle for Arrakeen basically over just as quickly in the book?
Not read the book, but I've seen comments saying all the battles scenes are pretty much skipped over in the books and it mainly focuses on the repercussions.

Simbo

I really enjoyed Dune 2 but dunno how much, its between an 8 and a 10 somewhere. Problem with these highly anticipated films is I spend all the time thinking about how much I'm enjoying it, rather than just enjoying it. Spent a lot of time since watching other people's reviews and stuff on youtube about it though, so its clearly had some effect on me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Blade Runner 2049 looks incredible but it's clearly very overly long for no reason, as - save for the opening scene with Batista - is largely dull as dishwater. Also the ending is rubbish.

I feel I'm a bit of an outliar when it comes to Villenueve though.... people swear by that and Arrival as being his best works/masterpieces, when both are just style over substance and really pretty meh... definitely don't hold a candle to Dune / Sicario and Prisoners.
100%. And I’ve no problem at all with slow paced movies. Or films in which not much happens. Just don’t do it in an fx heavy, bloated, overly loooong blockbuster, with a sound track full off foghorny noises. Because that gets very close to irritating. And I say this as someone who quite liked both those films. Just don’t think they’re near as good as the other ones you mention.

All of which means I suspect I might dislike Oppenheimer almost as much as I hated Barbie. Seeing as I’m seeing the same people on here championing the same films. And boy did I hate Barbie. Turns out Ryan Gosling couldn’t save that one either…

Simbo

100%. And I’ve no problem at all with slow paced movies. Or films in which not much happens. Just don’t do it in an fx heavy, bloated, overly loooong blockbuster, with a sound track full off foghorny noises. Because that gets very close to irritating. And I say this as someone who quite liked both those films. Just don’t think they’re near as good as the other ones you mention.

All of which means I suspect I might dislike Oppenheimer almost as much as I hated Barbie. Seeing as I’m seeing the same people on here championing the same films. And boy did I hate Barbie…
Oh, you're going to love it :lol:

Simbo

The Dune movies were quite foghorny to be fair and I liked them. A bit of foghorn can be acceptable.
I love a good foghorn soundtrack and would have hans zimmers' babies, but even I though Oppenheimer was too much.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
:lol: my mistake, actually thought he did. Similar style though, that's my point, i think.
I couldn't disagree more in fact - it's very different stylistically. Zimmer would have done something very different with it (it would have been great, but I'm a big fan of Zimmer's) but a lot of Ludwig Göransson's themes for the film were entirely different to what Zimmer would do. But I guess we'll just disagree on this one! :)

Sweet Square

General audiences think a film has to line up with the viewers pre-existing tastes in order to be “good”. It’s why there are countless great movies that bombed at the box office when first released. Also if a film comes out to universal praise that might not be such a positive thing.

Is BR2049(Or really any movie)good or bad is a pretty meaningless conversation Imo. It’s far more worthwhile to talk about themes and what a movie is trying to say/show.

RedDevilQuebecois

If (or when) you are ready to dig into spoilers, this video lists 10 major differences between the book and Villeneuve's movies.

The explanations for those changes are quite valid though.

Last edited:

atkar83

I really liked it. Such a beautiful movie. I was surprised that it wasn't over at the end, I always assumed it was 2 movies only. I can see someone calling it boring in parts but I didn't think so, it flowed pretty well.

NLunited

I think it was quite stunning, some of the scenes were very intense and exhilarating. My only criticism is that the plot moved a bit fast at the end. 9/10 for me.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I really liked it. Such a beautiful movie. I was surprised that it wasn't over at the end, I always assumed it was 2 movies only. I can see someone calling it boring in parts but I didn't think so, it flowed pretty well.
Same. I haven't ever read the books but from what I gather these 2 films are the first book split into 2 and basically the same story as the naff David Lynch version.

But yeah it was an epic cinematic spectacle. Really enjoyed it and it didn't feel long at all. I do agree though with those saying Christopher Walken was miscast. He just took me out of the movie somewhat. "Oh look it's Christopher Walken, what's he doing here?"

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Same. I haven't ever read the books but from what I gather these 2 films are the first book split into 2 and basically the same story as the naff David Lynch version.
I'm seeing it tomorrow, so I don't know exactly yet - but apparently Villeneuve does finish the first book and is leaving things ready to continue into the second book. That's not how the books are written: first book is a complete whole, it doesn't leave obvious open ends that scream for a follow-up; but maybe this is Villeneuve's way of putting pressure on the film company to let him do the second book. (Which is shorter and much less dense than the first book, and should fit in one film without issue.)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not only that, These two new ones removed some of the storyline from the book and Lynch actually added some extra weird stuff.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Yeah that's what I was thinking of.

I can just can't imagine why David Lynch, who needed to squeeze everything from the book into a 137 minute long single film thought "I know, I'll add some more weird shit, I'll even call it them weirding modules".
I read it was because they couldn't afford/didn't have time to teach people martial arts. As Lynch said, he had to start selling out even in the script phase because of the limitations from elsewhere.

Still, the folding space and water of life scenes are great, and he did creepy Alia properly!

Dan_F

Not sure if it was just the cinema I went to but it feels like my ears are going to start bleeding. Goddam that was loud.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I had a romantic memory that David Lynch's version was fantastic.
Saw this new version on imax and loved it. Loved everything about it.
I have David Lynch's version on dvd so decided to watch it again.
Its fecking awful. The acting is incredibly wooden, its abysmal.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I had a romantic memory that David Lynch's version was fantastic.
Saw this new version on imax and loved it. Loved everything about it.
I have David Lynch's version on dvd so decided to watch it again.
Its fecking awful. The acting is incredibly wooden, its abysmal.
I think because it's Lynch, and because it's Dune, there's indeed this romantic notion that it must be misunderstood, or that because it's not perfect, it got unfairly slated or something. I'd probably have to rewatch it, but my recollection is that it's just plain bad - there's reasons to that, but it's revisionism at its finest to suggest it's actually good.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think because it's Lynch, and because it's Dune, there's indeed this romantic notion that it must be misunderstood, or that because it's not perfect, it got unfairly slated or something. I'd probably have to rewatch it, but my recollection is that it's just plain bad - there's reasons to that, but it's revisionism at its finest to suggest it's actually good.
I think that version of Dune opened my eyes to the fact that Patrick Stewart is the most overrated actor in the history of acting.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I think you hit the nail on the head there

Drainy

Lynch disavows that film. I know it's mainly because he feels dirty because he felt like he sold out but he must also know his version is not good regardless of the editing

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I'd probably have to rewatch it, but my recollection is that it's just plain bad - there's reasons to that, but it's revisionism at its finest to suggest it's actually good.
The 1984 Dune is absolutely terrible as a movie. It's extremely poorly "written" (in terms of what's actually onscreen).
The appeal is that the costumes, art design, etc. are 'interesting' and more alien.

That is true but I don't think it's a good thing. Villeneuve's movies are less alien because he wants you to think about the real world, to reinforce some of the messages in the story.

Last edited:
Lisan Al Gaib! I went and watched it again in IMAX. One of the best cinema experiences I’ve ever had. Outstanding. Surely will clean sweep all the technical awards this time next year.

Suv666

Genuinely one of the best sci-fi films ever made. Denis V is probably my favourite director right now. Dune 1, Dune 2, Arrival, Blade Runnner 2049, all masterpieces and all in my favourite movies of all time.

Man has the raised the roof for sf and absolutely spoiled me.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Saw it today with Dolby and it's probably my favorite sci-fi of my adult life. Can't compare to watching Empire Strikes Back at 5 years old in 1980 but in many ways this is my favorite sci-fi of all time and at the top of blockbuster movies of any genre. There is so much ambiance that captures the aura of the books perfectly and the sound design is just awesome at a Dolby theatre. Everyone that's read the books knows how this has commentary on everything from the geopolitical reality of energy politics to deconstructing religion and control but I think this probably perfect for the Gen Z people that don't read. Admittedly it's probably not the highest difficulty level film for acting but I thought the roles were cast superbly and all the big names held up and I'll end up rewatching this many times and enjoying it.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I rewatched Lynch's DUNE a few days back and, as a big Lynch fan and as someone who has a fondness for some of the aesthetics ( though there's a fair amount of ugly design choices in the film too) , its terrible. Really terrible.

I think DV last two DUNE films should officially close the book on Lynch's adaption being regarded as decent. Its just not. Its awful and it's why he's disowned it.

Last edited: