Film Dune

Eric_the_Red99

You must be a natural at basketball with that sort of reach
Erm, you do realise that the Arab Revolt - specifically TE Lawrence’s account of the revolt in Seven Pillars of Wisdom - was a huge influence on Frank Herbert? I was making a joke, obviously, but comparing the story of Dune with the history of the Middle East actually involves very little reaching, seeing as the one inspired the other!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Erm, you do realise that the Arab Revolt - specifically TE Lawrence’s account of the revolt in Seven Pillars of Wisdom - was a huge influence on Frank Herbert? I was making a joke, obviously, but comparing the story of Dune with the history of the Middle East actually involves very little reaching, seeing as the one inspired the other!
Wasn't aware of the TE Lawrence account specifically but yeah, I know the whole Dune series is heavily inspired by middle east tradition and various holy wars. I always loved the unique blend of space opera with facets of historical stuff.

Also, I know you were joking and so was I :)

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Wasn't aware of the TE Lawrence account specifically but yeah, I know the whole Dune series is heavily inspired by middle east tradition and various holy wars. I always loved the unique blend of space opera with facets of historical stuff.

Mix in a heavy dose of environmentalism and religious philosophy, and you've got most of Herbert's inspiration for the book (and subsequent series) covered. :)

Eric_the_Red99

There’s a striking parallel between Paul Atreides exploiting Fremen beliefs in order to reclaim his birthright and exact revenge on the Harkonens - thereby unleashing a galaxy-wide jihad that leaves billions dead - and the British stoking Arab nationalism during the First World War in order to defeat the Ottomans. Of course, in the real world, the Brits cynically betrayed the Arabs after getting what they wanted, a major factor behind today’s troubles.

Sylar

Saw first part recently and enjoyed it, but it also felt like a non standalone where you need part two, which is frustrating if you have to wait a significant amount of time.
A week waitfor an episode is fine, but two years is crazy (but fair enough if it does well too).

First part was visually great but in a weird way felt like a long long trailer for what's to come

Big Andy

Bloke
Never played the game, never watched anything about it, I know nothing about this.

I've seen it on Netflix recently and I'm toying with the idea of watching it, but whenever I click on it, it just doesn't grab me, and I watch something else.

So, Redcafe, is it worth me putting my apprehensions aside and watching it?

Bert_

Never played the game, never watched anything about it, I know nothing about this.

I've seen it on Netflix recently and I'm toying with the idea of watching it, but whenever I click on it, it just doesn't grab me, and I watch something else.

Same before I watched it, but I loved the movie. Really looking forward to part 2.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
If you can check off all of the below then my answer is yes:

1. You like sci-fi
2. You are patient
3. You accept that the first film predominantly is a setup for the next one(s)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Didn't realise there was a game. Do you mean the 1992 one? Never played it but the screenshots have me intrigued:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's very like Command and Conquer.
Dune 2 is basically the first proper real-time strategy game and I absolutely played the shit out of it. (Although I might be missing stuff; I suppose Warcraft I might have actually have come out around the same time?) I think Dune 1 was more like a sort of RPG/RTS mixture...? I started playing it once but didn't understand it and never got back to it.

@Big Andy, for what it's worth, the origin of all things Dune is actually a very popular sci-fi book from 1965 (which then was followed by a further series of books).

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Dune 2 is basically the first proper real-time strategy game and I absolutely played the shit out of it. (Although I might be missing stuff; I suppose Warcraft I might have actually have come out around the same time?) I think Dune 1 was more like a sort of RPG/RTS mixture...? I started playing it once but didn't understand it and never got back to it.

@Big Andy, for what it's worth, the origin of all things Dune is actually a very popular sci-fi book from 1965 (which then was followed by a further series of books).
Yea, the first RTS game was Dune II (and that screenshot from above is taken from Dune 1) and that developed into the C&C franchise. Warcraft came out a couple of years after Dune 2 and around the same time as C&C..good times!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yea, the first RTS game was Dune II (and that screenshot from above is taken from Dune 1) and that developed into the C&C franchise. Warcraft came out a couple of years after Dune 2 and around the same time as C&C..good times!
Yeah, I forgot to specify that: @Salt Bailly's screenshot is from Dune 1, not the famous RTS Dune 2.

I checked the timeline of RTSs. Dune 2 (1992) is indeed the first fully-fledged RTS, and we are both right about Warcraft: pt 1 came out in November 1994, C&C 1 in September 1995, and Warcraft 2 in December 1995. So those three are all kinda contemporary, but Warcraft 2 and C&C 1 directly competed. Both excellent games btw, and also quite different in feel while varying relatively little in gameplay. (I never played Warcraft 1.)

Anyway: the first Dune book is excellent. Some of its sequels are good as well (and some not so much), but I don't think any of it reached the heights of the original book.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Anyway: the first Dune book is excellent. Some of its sequels are good as well (and some not so much), but I don't think any of it reached the heights of the original book.
Tried some of the following books up until Godemperor and agree. I liked that the angle was always quite differently so those I‘ve read were somewhat unique in their own ways but altogether don‘t think I‘ll read them a second time. To be honest, the only book by Herbert I can read over and over again is Hellstrom‘s Hive. (Not that I‘ve read that many by him mind).

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Yes. I knew nothing about it before the last film and Ive seen it about 3 times since. It's a solid film.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm a big fan of Lynch's nutty version of DUNE, I even have that incredible Blu Ray set containing the longest cut. It's interesting how many visual cues the current version works on from Lynch's film.
If given the choice to watch Lynch's version or Villeneuve's, Lynch would win all the time.
Sure I have a certain amount of bias , being a big Lynch fan, but his version, much as he personally deslikes it, is just visually more interesting and much more coherent than people think.
Villeneuve's is comfortably more respectful and truer to the original book but it lacks character and I only have a mild amount of interest in this sequel, even more so with the billion trailers that have been released.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I'm a big fan of Lynch's nutty version of DUNE, I even have that incredible Blu Ray set containing the longest cut. It's interesting how many visual cues the current version works on from Lynch's film.
I loved it before I read the book, then I hated it. Why couldn't he just make the book?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The reviews for Part 2 are calling this a sci-fi masterpiece. Currently at 97% on RT with 159 reviews. Critics saying it is simply breathtaking. I loved the first one, but the almost universal response seems to be that Part 2 easily surpasses Part 1 “in every way”. I have to say, I’m feeling giddy at the prospect.

I love sci-fi, love Denis Villeneuve, and I love the books. So this couldn’t be more exciting to me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The reviews for Part 2 are calling this a sci-fi masterpiece. Currently at 97% on RT with 159 reviews. Critics saying it is simply breathtaking. I loved the first one, but the almost universal response seems to be that Part 2 easily surpasses Part 1 “in every way”. I have to say, I’m feeling giddy at the prospect.

I love sci-fi, love Denis Villeneuve, and I love the books. So this couldn’t be more exciting to me.
I was going through those a bit the other day, and I did find people saying that Part 2 takes a bit of a sledgehammer approach compared to the more subtle tones of Part 1, so it's not unanimous. But yeah, I'm also really looking forward to this. Apparently, the film also ends a bit open-ended, setting the state for a third film based on the second Dune book - which Villeneuve has already said he would love to film, to make this a trilogy.