Dylan Levitt

Craig Ward

Anyone catch the match? Levity and James both started so wondered how they played
Levitt was solid but not spectacular. Few overhit long passes, but overall a very good debut. Finland didnt offer much, but they're best player Kamara was in CM and offered a good combative display, which didnt faze Levitt at all.

I was impressed by his maturity for such a young age - you can tell there is a good player in there. He's technically great - his touch and composure is already evident - he just needs more game time.

James was also good - always a threat and a willing runner in behind, created all of Wales best chances and provided a great assist for the goal. To note, James played off the left all game and looked much much better than he does for us RW

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Only watched the first half. Nothing spectacular but what do you expect him to do around league one players? His partner is league one player and the guy behind him is also league one player. However, this should be a positive thing to attract some teams from Championship to make a loan deal for him.

Bestietom

Levitt, Garner, Mejbri, we have some top midfielders coming through. We need some CB's and full backs now.

Bestietom

Cannavaro is 175cm...
Ok, he was 1.76 actually, I made mistake, but they don't make them all like him. He was one that only comes along once in a lifetime. It was a different era then, and CF have now got bigger and stronger.
Mengi has got the skill definitely, but I think he could make a better DM.

hubbuh

Cannavaro was a little taller. But it don't happen that everyone is a Cannavaro. You need to be Tall, Strong, and Fast, these days to be a Top CB. especially in Premier League.
Mengi is only slightly smaller than John Terry! I’m sure he’d be just fine if he was playing today.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Mengi not tall enough for CB. imo
hes 6 foot and hes only 18 so he may still get a bit taller and will certainly bulk out as well
Its rare these days to find a team playing with two strikers over 6 foot so I dont see any issue and he seems fast, has good balance and reads the game well and i would't swap ant of those attributes to make him a couple of inches taller

crossy1686

career ending
Ok, he was 1.76 actually, I made mistake, but they don't make them all like him. He was one that only comes along once in a lifetime. It was a different era then, and CF have now got bigger and stronger.
Height is only an advantage if you can’t jump. We see it week in week out in all leagues. Desire to win the ball and a good leap beats height any day. Cannavaro looked like a drug cheat to me personally, especially during that World Cup but that’s a different conversation, he was out jumping people who were over 190cm.

Mengi looks decent, I’d like to see more of him.

Red_toad

I‘d disagree a huge amount, the vast majority of strikers are under or around 6ft, very few players like Peter Crouch, so no idea where all these Duncan Ferguson style players are currently, that you’re seeing?

kundalini

Also, surely he's good enough for The Championship now.
If you look at the loans into the Championship last season and the season before, they fall into the following categories:

- experienced player mid 20s to mid 30s, no longer wanted by their PL side

- young player with previous experience in the Championship, either on loan or has recently been bought by a PL team from a Championship side

- young player with experience on loan in either League One, Eredivisie or Scot Prem (Dean Henderson route, also Mason Mount Eredivise loan)

- young player with a few starts in the PL for his parent club (Tuanzebe at the time he joined Villa on loan)

- young player who plays regularly for England U19, U20 or U21 (Chelsea have/had quite a few in this category)

- a small number of elite talents from the top tier of PL2 U23

So it should come as no surprise if most of the players that United want to loan out, don't attract interest from Championship teams. Kovar and Levitt going on loan to League One teams fits the pattern above. Given their actions, I think it would be fair to assume that Championship clubs haven't been impressed by the standard of PL2 U23 football over the last few years.

Last edited:

Mickson

If you look at the loans into the Championship last season and the season before, they fall into the following categories:

- experienced player mid 20s to mid 30s, no longer wanted by their PL side

- young player with previous experience on loan in the Championship

- young player with experience on loan in either League One, Eredivisie or Scot Prem (Dean Henderson route)

- young player with a few starts in the PL for his parent club (Tuanzebe at the time he joined Villa on loan)

- young player who plays regularly for England U19, U20 or U21

- a small number of elite talents from the top tier of PL2 U23

So it should come as no surprise if most of the players that United want to loan out, don't attract interest from Championship teams. Kovar and Levitt going on loan to League One teams fits the pattern above. Given their actions, I think it would be fair to assume that Championship clubs haven't been impressed by the standard of PL2 U23 football over the last few years.
Yes, I'm aware. But I think Garner and Levitt (a full international and a to talent) would attract interest from The Championship. And Garner will almost certainly play in The Championship now, and I don't think Garner is much better than Levitt.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Only watched the first half. Nothing spectacular but what do you expect him to do around league one players? His partner is league one player and the guy behind him is also league one player. However, this should be a positive thing to attract some teams from Championship to make a loan deal for him.
He better get used to playing with those league 1 players

jackal&hyde

I think League one is fine. If he does well, Championship next
Yes. Competitive league that will test him.

I have high hopes for him. Good luck and in 2 years time he might be part of our squad.

flappyjay

Rather have him play consistently in league 1 than making up numbers in the championship. That's the vibe I get with championship teams on some of the loans. If he proves himself at Charlton he will get a championship loan the following season and so on. It worked for Dean Henderson.

KevinJoh

What he really needs are minutes. So, if it is League One but playing 90 minutes a week, it is better than Championship and 15 minutes now and than. If playing time guaranteed, I have no problem to see where he will be in a year. If next step is Championship before fighting for minutes at United it is OK as well. All kids have different path, so lets wait and see. Good luck with Charlton.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Are Charlton one of the better teams in league 1?

It's more important he plays in an attacking team rather than sitting back and being a defensive wall.

Acole9

Outstanding
It's just important that he plays, doesn't matter about the club.

Mark Pawelek

If he would be very good, can he move to the Championship in January?
No. Hopefully he's there for a year. Loan rules were changed a few years back making it hard to recall a player midway through a loan unless he's not playing. If he can't get minutes at League 1 level he won't at a higher level. Loans shorter than 1 year are still possible but only if covering for an injured player, or begun halfway into a season. Loans are basically 1, or even 2 years now. Clubs loaning out players can no longer enforce shorter loans.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Worth pointing out that Conor Gallagher who's now going to a PL club to loan this year was on loan to Charlton Athletic last season. He progressed very well under them for Lee Bowyer, was called back and then sent on loan to Swansea for January.

Lee Bowyer has been getting excellent reviews as a manager.

DannyDee

Thiago Silva is exactly 1.83m tall.
I remember an elite Chelsea defence that featured a 1.83m Carvalho at CB. Alaba is great when he plays CB (and played it in the UCL final for the winning team) and is only 1.80m. Koulibaly who is many people's dream purchase to shore up our D is only about an inch or 3cm taller.

Either way, to get back on topic, hopefully, Levitt can excel in League One next year.