Gaming E3 2015

Spoony

The People's President
I do. I know they are going about it the right way, and the original guys are involved, so I think it should satisfy us fans.

It obviously still could go wrong and be crap, but considering the announcement at E3 and Sony's involvment (they will back further if it does start to go a little pear shaped), I think it should be good. Worth the wait, or attracting large amounts of new games though? Who knows.

Surely it's got potential to be a financial success? I'm hoping it's ground breaking as the first, but that will require a lot of backing from Sony.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Shenmue's was a really slow game, wasn't it?

I remember liking it when it came out but for some reason didn't finish it. Sure was different. Great atmosphere.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Surely it's got potential to be a financial success? I'm hoping it's ground breaking as the first, but that will require a lot of backing from Sony.
It has the potential of course! But whether or not modern gamers will be attracted to it is anyone's guess. I think the hype will obviously draw lots in, but the original games aren't the most exciting.

Leg-End

Shenmue's was a really slow game, wasn't it?

I remember liking it when it came out but for some reason didn't finish it. Sure was different. Great atmosphere.
It was a play at your own pace kind of game, exploration and all the side quests were very much optional. Not everyone would like it, I mean what other game is going to force you to go home to bed before 11PM or you get your allowance stopped?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It was a play at your own pace kind of game, exploration and all the side quests were very much optional. Not everyone would like it, I mean what other game is going to force you to go home to bed before 11PM or you get your allowance stopped?
Heh, I did like it a lot. I like those kind of games that are a bit different. No idea why I didn't complete it. Hell of a long time back.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Mass Effect:
As it stands, during both exploration and combat sequences, the game runs upwards of 30 per cent slower on Xbox One with a deviation ranging between 5-10fps at any random point. What was already a sluggish experience on original hardware becomes nearly unplayable at points on Xbox One. During an explosive encounter during the train sequence in the first mission, we encountered dips as low as 10fps. We suspect that forcing v-sync is to blame for the drop in performance, though CPU inefficiencies seen in many early Unreal Engine 3 titles may also be an issue. We'll be eager to see how the virtual machine evolves over the coming months and we can't wait until other Unreal Engine titles become available for testing, but for now, this is not the right way to experience the game.

Going to 10 fps is terrible
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-backwards-compatibility-on-xbox-one

JackXX

Mass Effect:
As it stands, during both exploration and combat sequences, the game runs upwards of 30 per cent slower on Xbox One with a deviation ranging between 5-10fps at any random point. What was already a sluggish experience on original hardware becomes nearly unplayable at points on Xbox One. During an explosive encounter during the train sequence in the first mission, we encountered dips as low as 10fps. We suspect that forcing v-sync is to blame for the drop in performance, though CPU inefficiencies seen in many early Unreal Engine 3 titles may also be an issue. We'll be eager to see how the virtual machine evolves over the coming months and we can't wait until other Unreal Engine titles become available for testing, but for now, this is not the right way to experience the game.

Going to 10 fps is terrible
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-backwards-compatibility-on-xbox-one
I've played it and it does have some rough spots where the frame rate takes weird dips but at other times it's fine. Why didn't you post the whole article though there's a lot more than what you have posted? I don't know why they have made a performance article on a preview build anyway it's unoptimized and not ready for the public. Could be months away.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I've played it and it does have some rough spots where the frame rate takes weird dips but at other times it's fine. Why didn't you post the whole article though there's a lot more than what you have posted? I don't know why they have made a performance article on a preview build anyway it's unoptimized and not ready for the public. Could be months away.
I didn't read it all, link was given for anyone who wanted to read it

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Even the Neogaf posted posted the game where it was as perfect as can be.

As Jack said, it's a preview build basically in beta. The whole point is that it's not ready for full release yet.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
People generally don't go on the link they just read whatever quoted.

JackXX

Why post if you haven't even read it yourself? If it's something that interests you at least give a brief summary or a more balanced reflection. I guess it's too much to ask for.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Why post if you haven't even read it yourself? If it's something that interests you at least give a brief summary or a more balanced reflection. I guess it's too much to ask for.
Maybe because Mass Effect is the only game in that article that I've played. And the fact that mass effect was the game they showed when they revealed the service at E3 so it was surprising that it was working so poorly.

yeah you ask for too much

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
No conspiracies just pointing out your post wasn't near to being reflective of the article you didn't read.
No, saying I only posted the Mass Effect bit because it doesn't fit the narrative is saying that I was attempting to take some sort of sly dig at Xbone. I only saw the Mass Effect one and found it surprising because it was the reveal game and posted it with the original article for anyone wanting to read the rest.

Persecution complex!

JackXX

So from that whole article that was the only paragraph you read? It isn't even the full Mass Effect quote just the single most negative quote of the whole thing. Hardly surprising someone calls you out on it.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
So from that whole article that was the only paragraph you read? It isn't even the full Mass Effect quote just the single most negative quote of the whole thing. Hardly surprising someone calls you out on it.
Yes I only read the Mass Effect part. I still haven't read the article.

Full Mass Effect quote...

"With such a limited number of games currently available, it's not surprising that Mass Effect was selected for demonstration on-stage at the Microsoft conference this week. As the only Unreal Engine 3 title on the list we were eager to see how this popular tech operates within the virtual environment, especially bearing in mind its high CPU overhead in its early incarnations. It should be noted that as an early title on Xbox 360, Mass Effect suffers from rather egregious tearing, severe texture pop-in and serious frame-rate issues - all issues which were improved in subsequent games. The results on Xbox One are very interesting and a little unexpected.

On the positive side, we note a nice improvement in both loading times and texture streaming performance. Data often loads a few seconds quicker on Xbox One, while textures stream in much more rapidly. We also noted some rather subtle changes both to the way characters are lit and how certain effects are displayed - an example being the transparency alpha effects used during the introduction cut-scene, which are displayed differently on Xbox One.

Then there is performance, and this is where things start to get really interesting. Initial impressions are positive, with the frame-rate during cut-scenes seeing noticeable improvement on Xbox One throughout our testing. As we mentioned earlier, the emulator forces v-sync across all 360 games when played on Xbox One, eliminating all screen-tear in the process. On Xbox 360 hardware, the game employs a dynamic v-sync setup where torn frames are introduced when render-time misses its 33ms target. Eliminating screen-tear sounds great on paper but once you enter gameplay, the consequences become obvious.

Damn you...I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Edit - This is where I copy and pasted from
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1067402

Last edited:

JackXX

Yes I only read the Mass Effect part. I still haven't read the article.

Full Mass Effect quote...

"With such a limited number of games currently available, it's not surprising that Mass Effect was selected for demonstration on-stage at the Microsoft conference this week. As the only Unreal Engine 3 title on the list we were eager to see how this popular tech operates within the virtual environment, especially bearing in mind its high CPU overhead in its early incarnations. It should be noted that as an early title on Xbox 360, Mass Effect suffers from rather egregious tearing, severe texture pop-in and serious frame-rate issues - all issues which were improved in subsequent games. The results on Xbox One are very interesting and a little unexpected.

On the positive side, we note a nice improvement in both loading times and texture streaming performance. Data often loads a few seconds quicker on Xbox One, while textures stream in much more rapidly. We also noted some rather subtle changes both to the way characters are lit and how certain effects are displayed - an example being the transparency alpha effects used during the introduction cut-scene, which are displayed differently on Xbox One.

Then there is performance, and this is where things start to get really interesting. Initial impressions are positive, with the frame-rate during cut-scenes seeing noticeable improvement on Xbox One throughout our testing. As we mentioned earlier, the emulator forces v-sync across all 360 games when played on Xbox One, eliminating all screen-tear in the process. On Xbox 360 hardware, the game employs a dynamic v-sync setup where torn frames are introduced when render-time misses its 33ms target. Eliminating screen-tear sounds great on paper but once you enter gameplay, the consequences become obvious.

Damn you...I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Edit - This is where I copy and pasted from

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1067402
Ok that makes sense. :)