Gaming E3 2021 | 12th - 15th June | Nintendo wins E3 with new Metroid game and Breath of the Wild 2 announcements

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Gamepass is pretty overrated. It's about quality, not quantity. I already have a backlog of around 30 games I need to get around to playing, it just isn't as great as you make out. I'd honestly prefer one Returnal or Ratchet quality game every year rather than 1000 dross titles to play for 20 minutes then drop into the abyss.
Overrated in what sense. Are you saying it’s rated highly but in your opinion it’s not very good?

I think games pass is a great deal for a vast variation of gamers.

As a kid I’d buy a game every Sunday, trading last weeks game in to get it. Played the shit out of it and when completed, played it again because that’s what I had.

As a kid with games pass these days would be unreal.
As as adult you get to try many games, some you may not like, some you may. It’s basically free to try and if you don’t like, you move onto the next one.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think in general if you follow gaming fairly regularly I.e you watch gameplay and you follow the most recent gaming releases, Gamepass is pretty useless. Yes, they do occasionally have a brand new title on there which might justify the price but I'd argue PS plus gives you better value for money on those older titles you don't mind waiting for.

b82REZ

Overrated in what sense. Are you saying it’s rated highly but in your opinion it’s not very good?

As a kid I’d buy a game every Sunday, trading last weeks game in to get it. Played the shit out of it and when completed, played it again because that’s what I had.

As as adult you get to try many games, some you may not like, some you may. It’s basically free to try and if you don’t like, you move onto the next one.
The irony is, Gamepass is trying to kill the second hand/trading in market.

MS have played a blinder by doing what they wanted to with the One by killing the secondhand market, but by repackaging it as a service they have people eating out of their hands.

TrustInJanuzaj

I already find that I can be quite wasteful as a gamer, there's only a select few good games that really hold my attention and they tend to do that for long periods of time. Just playing random trash reminds me of the iPhone market where you download something to play in an afternoon and then uninstall the following day. I tried Playstation Now and found it the same, a nice looking catalogue of games on the surface, but scratch beneath and there's only about 3/4 interesting games on there. Ultimately it all feeds into the new era of instant gratification and constant need to consume consume consume. I'd much rather gaming went the other way and great games were produced on longer cycles.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Out of interest what do you think of PS now?
Mediocre, but I do really rate the PS+ collection which with better games hitting monthly PS+ actually seems to be a better answer to GP than PS Now at the moment.

Worth saying a huge part of value of GPU for me is the adoption on Xbox and across my mates, which means we have tons of co-op and multiplayer games to play together. I don't have the same on PS Now.

When PS properly invest in a subscription and put big hitters on there day 1 (or, early) then it will of course be a no brainer. It'll definitely happen, it's just a matter of when.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
The irony is, Gamepass is trying to kill the second hand/trading in market.

MS have played a blinder by doing what they wanted to with the One by killing the secondhand market, but by repackaging it as a service they have people eating out of their hands.
The second hand market has been on its arse for a long time.

The prices the likes of game give are a joke and consider CEX sell new games above retail is the only reason they ‘appear’ to offer good prices.

the fact that I can pay whatever it is per month and have plenty of content is a good price.

TrustInJanuzaj

Mediocre, but I do really rate the PS+ collection which with better games hitting monthly PS+ actually seems to be a better answer to GP than PS Now at the moment.

Worth saying a huge part of value of GPU for me is the adoption on Xbox and across my mates, which means we have tons of co-op and multiplayer games to play together. I don't have the same on PS Now.

When PS properly invest in a subscription and put big hitters on there day 1 (or, early) then it will of course be a no brainer. It'll definitely happen, it's just a matter of when.
I genuinely really hope it doesn't.

Rooney1987

A Guardians of the Galaxy game isn't a bad idea I just wish they'd not go got this this movie knock off look they have with these Marvel games.

lilcurt

Ok seen enough of Guardians now. Looks interesting but let move on... A few hanky combat parts did make me think it's closer to Avengers than Spiderman in terms of quality but will wait to see more at a later date.

AaronRedDevil

One game is all it took from square enix to be better then the Xbox conference :lol:.

I'm amaze how great this looks.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
My predictions this morning pretty much called the whole conference to be fair!

I thought Sony would have Hades wrapped up so absolutely buzzing to see that. I almost bought it on Switch multiple times (which tbf seems like a great place to play that type of game, if you do use it handheld)
In the spirit of friendship, I'll let you have that. But we both know that's a free pass :lol:

Anyway, I'd be genuinely interested to know what you really thought of it all outside of our little fun. You might be surprised by my reaction, as even if we knew the plot, I liked certain aspects more than perhaps I should have. You know, what with being a cynical old bastard and all ;)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Why are they hitting Avengers so hard when everyone hates it?
They probably paid a shitload for the license, they gotta try to make it work.

Less than zero interest in GotG, I'm so, so sick of that Marvel humour.

Spiderman/Peter Parker not having to say a "zinger" every 20 seconds helped the PS4 Spiderman game hugely.

lilcurt

They probably paid a shitload for the license, they gotta try to make it work.

Less than zero interest in GotG, I'm so, so sick of that Marvel humour.

Spiderman/Peter Parker not having to say a "zinger" every 20 seconds helped the PS4 Spiderman game hugely.
I tend to agree with you on the humour. I love the guardians in films and the humour in that 2-3 hour burst, but I don't want it in a 20-30 hour game thank you. The battle scenes in the trailer were full of it.

Spiderman remaster and the Myles games were great because they told grownup stories utilising the great characters at their disposal.

All I want from this conference is a FFXVI release date.

Alock1

Haven't watched this one yet but I think a lot of people forget that most of these Devs/pubs still have significant workforce working at home and have had huge disruption.

I'm not expecting much from anybody.

lilcurt

Arghhhh, no finally fantasy 16 or remake part 2.

They annoy me with their "new take on final fantasy" hack and slash game. Fans just want quality numbered entries and you to progress the remake ffs!

AaronRedDevil

Surprised there was no mention of Hellblade. Seems like the only good IP that’s not the usual three from Xbox. Forza, halo and Gears. Look forward to seeing what’s it really like now that they gave hellblade the triple A budget.

Alock1

In the spirit of friendship, I'll let you have that. But we both know that's a free pass :lol:

Anyway, I'd be genuinely interested to know what you really thought of it all outside of our little fun. You might be surprised by my reaction, as even if we knew the plot, I liked certain aspects more than perhaps I should have. You know, what with being a cynical old bastard and all ;)
Since I've been properly following E3 (2013) and watching most of the conferences in full, I truly believe it's the best one I've seen, from any publisher. There was actually a lot of gameplay, just not from the big games that are unknown quantities (Starfield, Contraband and Redfall) - however, I give a lot of leeway due to COVID on that. When you consider the other conferences so far this year - Xbox has blown them away in quantity and quality of content as everybody has been impacted by COVID. Redfall is 12 months away, so I figure it could easily have gameplay shown, but with a tight turnaround on that front they didn't want to divert dev resources. And I really appreciated the lack of studio, presenter talk, on-stage cringey demos or develop diary type drops.

Obviously people here think I'm bias, but for anybody who has seen in previous years I feel I've been pretty fair and critical of Xbox at E3. Though, it is absolutely fair to say I have a vested interest that does have quite an impact on what lens I'm viewing it through vs others here.

Usually, these conferences are 'Here's a bunch of games. 2-3 you will be super excited about and buy day 1. There'll be a further 2-3 you will be kinda interested in, keep an eye on, and probably buy later down the line. The rest you probably won't play'. But this year with Xbox it was 'here's 31 games.. 27 of them you will be able to play day 1 on your xbox in the next 18 months'. I think at least 3/4 of them are at worst decent b-tier games with what I expect to be some really good games thrown in there, and with how I play, I will end up trying most of them as I'm that sort of person. And guess what.. I don't have to spend a fecking penny to do so. That's class.

I am a big Halo and Forza Horizon guy, so this year looks fecking great from where I'm standing. Thought both looked brilliant, and looking forward to catching more gameplay over the next few days.

As I said earlier today before the conference - that they can not include Hellblade 2, Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Forza (plus a ton of unannounced stuff) etc.etc. is actually a great position to be in and I wasn't expecting any of them. CG wasn't CG because they had nothing to show and it was smoke and mirrors like in previous E3s (except maybe Contraband, not sure if they confirmed 2022 date?) - it was a decision lead by resource and/or how they want to market the game.