Gaming E3 2021 | 12th - 15th June | Nintendo wins E3 with new Metroid game and Breath of the Wild 2 announcements

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Surprised there was no mention of Hellblade. Seems like the only good IP that’s not the usual three from Xbox. Forza, halo and Gears. Look forward to seeing what’s it really like now that they gave hellblade the triple A budget.
Definitely looking forward to hearing more on Hellblade 2. That studio and IP has real potential with proper budget. Always conscious that a game like that could lose heart / charm with a bigger budget if they aren't careful though. More and bigger might not necessarily be better here, so they gotta be careful.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
So cheap. Even the DC mobile game I play has the likenesses for Margot Robbie, Momoa, Gal Gadot etc licensed.
the only thing one can say here is these characters are obviously around in comic books way longer than the movies, the attributes do contribute to comic books to me anyway.

but I do agree to a degree. If it’s a big story based game - they obviously didn’t have the original actors signed up to do voiceovers for the game, which is a shame, so go all in or none at all was The options

Alock1

Not sure why anyone would get that impression.
Read the next bit :)

I stand by it though. Game after game, with lots of gameplay (just not from a few key ones, which is fair in circumstances) and had great pace.

As I said though, watching it as someone with gamepass who will happily try every game is totally different to someone who doesn't have gamepass and is looking for one or two killer games

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Well that was crap
Yeah I'm glad I turned it off after the Pixel Remaster. After they spent 10+ minutes on the Marvel stuff and five seconds on that Final Fantasy thing, I knew it was a show not worth watching.

XVI and Forspoken will be with Sony's show later in the month. The little I saw of the Origin game this morning looked awful. I wish they'd take Nomura away from Final Fantasy. Leave him with Kingdom Hearts.

Alock1

I read the whole thing. You are fecking biased, are you really trying to deny that? :lol:

You're pretty good at defending MS and bigging them up but let's call a spade a spade here.
My point was more, whether biased or not, I've rated most Xbox E3 conferences on here and been pretty critical and middling in my response until this one.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My point was more, whether biased or not, I've rated most Xbox E3 conferences on here and been pretty critical and middling in my response until this one.
"people think I'm biased."

You are biased, so why not just say that?

Alock1

"people think I'm biased."

You are biased, so why not just say that?
Well I do work for them so of course I'm bias, but as far as I can say on here, I have a vested interest as I said

Alock1

But, worth saying - outside of this place, it's fairly common commentary.

Greg Millar from Kinda Funny for those who know him gave it an S on their ratings (above an A+, highest they could give) and he's as Mr Sony as I'm Mr Xbox

Leg-End

But, worth saying - outside of this place, it's fairly common commentary.

Greg Millar from Kinda Funny for those who know him gave it an S on their ratings (above an A+, highest they could give) and he's as Mr Sony as I'm Mr Xbox
When we care about Greg Miller's opinion we will give you the secret sign, which is @Redlambs being sectioned under the mental health act.

Alock1

When we care about Greg Miller's opinion we will give you the secret sign, which is @Redlambs being sectioned under the mental health act.
:lol: I agree - but y'know, just saying.. the response to the show has been really positive broadly, widely considered Xbox's best and seen a lot of industry people saying one of the best generally. I actually think with each year it will get better though - imagine if Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo could have been shown as Xbox exclusives hitting this year on top.

Anybody who just read this place would think it was another mediocre mess. Again, I do think with gamepass it takes on a bit of a new meaning for the consumer who has it though and don't think that can be understated. That same conference but I'd have to buy all those games if I wanted to play em - yeah, maybe not so good (B).

Damien

Staff
Certainly was one of Xbox's best showcases. Saying it is the best showcase by any publisher in history is a bit much in my opinion but guess it all depends on what games you like. Too many shooters/multiplayer games for my tastes and not enough gameplay but for those who are a fan of the games they showed, it was certainly unforgettable.

Alock1

Certainly was one of Xbox's best showcases. Saying it is the best showcase by any publisher in history is a bit much in my opinion but guess it all depends on what games you like. Too many shooters/multiplayer games for my tastes and not enough gameplay but for those who are a fan of the games they showed, it was certainly unforgettable.
Well, I did say that I've seen since 2013 so not history - and caveated that it's a different dynamic because it is literally showing me all the games I can get without having to pay any money. It's not an objective thing obviously.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It was pretty good by their previous standards but didn't have anything that particularly wowed me.

Definitely excited for B4B coming to Gamepass day one on PC, hopefully it's as good as it looks.
Starfield? Yeah, I'll hold my breath til we see some gameplay, I don't particularly trust Bethesda to deliver a good RPG anymore
Outer Worlds 2 is nice, I liked the first
STALKER 2. Not sure if it's my kinda game but might be good
Nice to see Psychonauts 2 on Gamepass too, even though it doesn't look great
Halo Infinite I can give or take

Not sure what else there is really that peaked my interest. If that's the roadmap for the next 2 or 3 years then it's fairly underwhelming. Still, good thing about Gamepass is you don't actually have to buy any of these games to play them, which is nice.

Damien

Staff
Well, I did say that I've seen since 2013 so not history - and caveated that it's a different dynamic because it is literally showing me all the games I can get without having to pay any money. It's not an objective thing obviously.
Yeah that was a nice touch having most of the games available on game pass

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think the lack of any surprises (though this isn't really their fault, as there's even more leaks these days with social media managers and all that added to the mix, it's no longer a few devs having a little too much whiskey and saying too much on forums) or big drops stops it being anywhere near the best for me. But as I said, we did get games and for that I'm happy with it.

Though with my old memory and the fact most of my favourite ones would have been live there, I'm not the best placed to remember what ones were better and what were worse historically :lol:

Damien

Staff
I think the lack of any surprises (though this isn't really their fault, as there's even more leaks these days with social media managers and all that added to the mix, it's no longer a few devs having a little too much whiskey and saying too much on forums) or big drops stops it being anywhere near the best for me. But as I said, we did get games and for that I'm happy with it.

Though with my old memory and the fact most of my favourite ones would have been live there, I'm not the best placed to remember what ones were better and what were worse historically :lol:
Weird thing was all the Xbox journalists saying that there would be acquisitions announced and kept going all in on studios being expanded from 23 to 26 and then there was nothing on that front in the showcase itself. Maybe they knew Avalanche's game was being published by XGS and just assumed they were first party... or a deal is in the works but not ready to be announced yet.

With Starfield and Halo being shown early, it did feel like they were building up to a grand finale but while Redfall is a new IP, it doesn't sound that enticing for people who like single player games.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Weird thing was all the Xbox journalists saying that there would be acquisitions announced and kept going all in on studios being expanded from 23 to 26 and then there was nothing on that front in the showcase itself. Maybe they knew Avalanche's game was being published by XGS and just assumed they were first party... or a deal is in the works but not ready to be announced yet.

With Starfield and Halo being shown early, it did feel like they were building up to a grand finale but while Redfall is a new IP, it doesn't sound that enticing for people who like single player games.
Like Football journalists, the gaming ones are becoming more and more irrelevant and it's more and more about guesswork. That being said, there are new studios and I expected at least one to be announced, but you never know behind the scenes what's happening as things pop up all the time.

Halo was probably put in early as the devs are still reeling a bit from the mess over the last build. Get it in, show progress and let other games take focus.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Stalker is the only one that interests me. Most of it was CGI /cutscene crap anyway.

Also, don't see many PS games?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Isn't that new vampire bethesda game just a reskinned left4dead/back4blood?

evil_geko

Isn't that new vampire bethesda game just a reskinned left4dead/back4blood?
How does "open world immersive story driven shooter with RPG elements that can be played single player or co-op" sound to you any similar to those linear map based co-op only shooters that you mentioned though.

Seems like lots of people just watched the trailer and haven't read any info on the game at all, because I keep seeing that comparison everywhere.

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
Stalker is the only one that interests me. Most of it was CGI /cutscene crap anyway.

Also, don't see many PS games?
Unsurprisingly they were not likely to show many PS games at the Xbox/Bethesda show. Here's a breakdown in spoilers of what is and isn't going to be on PS (not including DLC for games)

Releasing on PS same time as Xbox
- A Plague Tale: Requiem
- Atomic Heart
- Back 4 Blood
- Battlefield 2042
- Diablo II Resurrected
- Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes
- Eiyuden Chronicle Rising
- Far Cry 6
- Hades
- Psychonauts 2 (PS4 only)

Releasing on PS at some point after Xbox (timed exclusive)
- Party Animals
- Replaced
- Shredders
- Slime Rancher 2
- Somerville
- Stalker 2
- The Ascent
- Twelve Minutes

Not releasing on PS
- Contraband (just a logo, no release date)
- Forza Horizon 5 (9th November 2021)
- Halo Infinite (no release date, was supposed to be 2021)
- Microsoft Flight Simulator (27th July 2021)
- Redfall (Summer 2022)
- Starfield (11th November 2022)
- The Outer Worlds 2 (just a logo, no release date)

altodevil

How does "open world immersive story driven shooter with RPG elements that can be played single player or co-op" sound to you any similar to those linear map based co-op only shooters that you mentioned though.

Seems like lots of people just watched the trailer and haven't read any info on the game at all, because I keep seeing that comparison everywhere.
They aren't co-op only

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That Stranger of Paradise trailer looks terrible. Jrpgs and voice acting are still a mixed bag for me. The edgelord dialogue just becomes so dumb when spoken aloud.

Muuuuh, Im brooooding grrrr.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
P
Unsurprisingly they were not likely to show many PS games at the Xbox/Bethesda show. Here's a breakdown in spoilers of what is and isn't going to be on PS (not including DLC for games)

Releasing on PS same time as Xbox
- A Plague Tale: Requiem
- Atomic Heart
- Back 4 Blood
- Battlefield 2042
- Diablo II Resurrected
- Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes
- Eiyuden Chronicle Rising
- Far Cry 6
- Hades
- Psychonauts 2 (PS4 only)

Releasing on PS at some point after Xbox (timed exclusive)
- Party Animals
- Replaced
- Shredders
- Slime Rancher 2
- Somerville
- Stalker 2
- The Ascent
- Twelve Minutes

Not releasing on PS
- Contraband (just a logo, no release date)
- Forza Horizon 5 (9th November 2021)
- Halo Infinite (no release date, was supposed to be 2021)
- Microsoft Flight Simulator (27th July 2021)
- Redfall (Summer 2022)
- Starfield (11th November 2022)
- The Outer Worlds 2 (just a logo, no release date)
Oh it's an Xbox /Bethesda show with Sony skipping this year.

DavelinaJolie

This thread is nothing if not proof that there continues to be a segment of the gaming audience that only wants things to be produced for their interests, or else it's throwaway trash.

altodevil

This thread is nothing if not proof that there continues to be a segment of the gaming audience that only wants things to be produced for their interests, or else it's throwaway trash.
Good summary