Gaming E3 2021 | 12th - 15th June | Nintendo wins E3 with new Metroid game and Breath of the Wild 2 announcements

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This thread is nothing if not proof that there continues to be a segment of the gaming audience that only wants things to be produced for their interests, or else it's throwaway trash.
I don’t really see how that’s the case. People will rightly get excited about the games they want to play. Having said that there were undoubtably games shown last night that I wouldn’t have an interest in that looked very cool. Forza for example looked graphically insane (I’d never play it), flight simulator is an incredible piece of tech which I imagine would be the perfect game for some people out there (again I wouldn’t be interested in playing it). Most of the criticism at the moment comes from PlayStation players who can rightly claim they have had the better and more popular exclusive games and that showcase last night doesn’t show that changing in the next 2/3 years.

DavelinaJolie

I don’t really see how that’s the case.
I think in general if you follow gaming fairly regularly I.e you watch gameplay and you follow the most recent gaming releases, Gamepass is pretty useless. Yes, they do occasionally have a brand new title on there which might justify the price but I'd argue PS plus gives you better value for money on those older titles you don't mind waiting for.

Ainu

This thread is nothing if not proof that there continues to be a segment of the gaming audience that only wants things to be produced for their interests, or else it's throwaway trash.
The more accurate statement would be that there continues to be a segment of the gaming audience that only wants things to be produced for their platform of choice, or else it's throwaway trash.

TrustInJanuzaj

Not sure how that contradicts anything I said. I do think gamepass is a model based around quantity over quality. That may well change in the future once the new exclusive games take shape but for now there’s only a handful of decent offerings, most of which will have been played before.

TrustInJanuzaj

The more accurate statement would be that there continues to be a segment of the gaming audience that only wants things to be produced for their platform of choice, or else it's throwaway trash.
I think for most people they would prefer exclusives don’t exit at all. That would be my preference. The fact that they do however means they will of course be compared especially when Sony continues to deliver better quality games than their competition. Don’t really understand what point you are trying to make?

Ainu

I think for most people they would prefer exclusives don’t exit at all. That would be my preference. The fact that they do however means they will of course be compared especially when Sony continues to deliver better quality games than their competition. Don’t really understand what point you are trying to make?
The point is obvious, there are a number of people on here whose posts read like propaganda for either Sony or MS in that pretty much everything they say is tediously one-sided. I mean, sure, there's nothing wrong with showing preference - which is something I do myself as well, as I certainly lean more towards Playstation IP's - but it gets so tiresome when everything coming from "their side" is a good news show and everything coming from the other side is put in a negative light. Anything in the "vs" thread is fair game but unfortunately it seems to spread to every single gaming thread.

Anyway, probably best to ignore me, I'm just being a cynical, whining bastard.

DavelinaJolie

Not sure how that contradicts anything I said. I do think gamepass is a model based around quantity over quality. That may well change in the future once the new exclusive games take shape but for now there’s only a handful of decent offerings, most of which will have been played before.
You say that but I've got friends who are into gaming as I can imagine anyone would be (and certainly exceed the metrics you include in the quoted post by you) and they all enjoy GamePass and think it's really good value for money. You took the step of generalising the benefit of the service to the serious gamer based on your own opinion.

You don't see value from it, fine, but to transpose your view onto an audience is pretty much what I was outlining in my post. Doing the "Well, serious gamers don't need it" thing is pretty patronising and assumptive.

TrustInJanuzaj

You say that but I've got friends who are into gaming as I can imagine anyone would be (and certainly exceed the metrics you include in the quoted post by you) and they all enjoy GamePass and think it's really good value for money. You took the step of generalising the benefit of the service to the serious gamer based on your own opinion.

You don't see value from it, fine, but to transpose your view onto an audience is pretty much what I was outlining in my post. Doing the "Well, serious gamers don't need it" thing is pretty patronising and assumptive.
Not at all I think the service does have value especially for a certain kind of player. It’s clear from some of the posts that it’s got a lot of use for coop gaming where you can try loads of different things out with friends. I imagine if I had it that’s probably how I’d get my value from it too. I think for fans of big single player games the utility at the moment is less useful. Xbox don’t currently have many single player games and so that means the offering on gamepass is limited. For those that eagerly await the newest releases of single player games, gamepass doesn’t currently offer much. Again that could change in the future when some better games start being produced.

DavelinaJolie

Not at all I think the service does have value especially for a certain kind of player. It’s clear from some of the posts that it’s got a lot of use for coop gaming where you can try loads of different things out with friends. I imagine if I had it that’s probably how I’d get my value from it too. I think for fans of big single player games the utility at the moment is less useful. Xbox don’t currently have many single player games and so that means the offering on gamepass is limited. For those that eagerly await the newest releases of single player games, gamepass doesn’t currently offer much. Again that could change in the future when some better games start being produced.
You're right on the larger single player aspect of things, and we all know this is something that Nintendo and Sony have done very well. But I still think GP has a broader appeal.

I came away from last night's Xbox show feeling a bit "meh" because there wasn't a huge amount that interested me personally, but I actually like the MS strategy overall, because they are making a diverse group of games. The large games will take more time because that's just the way it is. But I'm glad they are trying to broaden their appeal. For me that has been the best thing about game pass, I've played so many different games, not all of them have stuck, but I also played some true gems like Celeste, Sea of Thieves, Carrion, Ori, The Outer Worlds, Unravel, Graveyard Keeper and more.

The common criticism of Xbox is it's the "Gears, Halo, Forza" box. Even if not everything speaks to me, I can see that they are working to change that.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
How anyone can argue that gamepass is quantity over quality is beyond me. It's both.

TrustInJanuzaj

How anyone can argue that gamepass is quantity over quality is beyond me. It's both.
Well I’ve looked at gamepass and as it stands there’s not a single game I’d rush to play. For me personally it would be quantity over quality. If you loved some of the games on there then sure you’d think differently.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Well I’ve looked at gamepass and as it stands there’s not a single game I’d rush to play. For me personally it would be quantity over quality. If you loved some of the games on there then sure you’d think differently.
There are plenty of really good games on gamepass by most people's standards. It's just untrue to claim it's quantity over quality.

Ainu

There's loads of quality on Game Pass but it all depends on how many of those games you've already played. I've been unable to get my money's worth out of it so far, since I've played the vast majority of them already and acquired many through sales or PS+. That's not a failure of the service though.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yeah I should preface that I've been on PC this last 7 or so years, and didn't play games all that much. Gamepass is incredible value for me, for the pennies I'm paying.

RedDevilRoshi

Pretty underwhelming show as a whole.

Thought Xbox were ok but nothing to get extremely excited about.

Very disappointing overall.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Nintendo should be good tomorrow

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
What are we expecting at Nintendo then? I've not bought a Switch game in a while.

Switch Pro? BOTW 2? Metroid 4?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'm probably the only person in here to never have played Metroid despite having pretty much every Nintendo console since I was born bar the WiiU.