Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Johan07

Yeah it was banned. You can't put a loan on the club, you need the cash in your bank account if you want to buy now.
A leveraged takeover is what we are discussing. It was banned when and by who? And how?

the chameleon

You've been asked this already, but I'll chime in...where is your evidence for this?

It's not true at all as far as I'm aware. A leveraged buyout is common place in business.
Why are you so adamant on defending Woodward? Do you work for him? I'm certain he has people on here to defend him and spread his BS.

Woodward has to take a large chunk of the blame for our struggles on the pitch. Do you agree with that?

Johan07

Why are you so adamant on defending Woodward? Do you work for him? I'm certain he has people on here to defend him and spread his BS.

Woodward has to take a large chunk of the blame for our struggles on the pitch. Do you agree with that?
It is has not anything to do with defending Woodward to question an inaccurate factual statement, which there are plenty of in this thread. The latest now being that we should not be afraid of another leveraged takeover because somehow the PL-clubs have been banned" from securing loans against their assets. Spurs and their new stadium says hi."And all the other clubs in the PL carrying debt as well.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It provides my soul relief to see a headline like this on Sky: "Woodward has zero understanding of football."

Thanks Louis.

Surely it is a matter of time before they all start rounding up on him and then the Glazers.

Dolf

It provides my soul relief to see a headline like this on Sky: "Woodward has zero understanding of football."

Thanks Louis.

Surely it is a matter of time before they all start rounding up on him and then the Glazers.
Maybe. But then what? They are in full control. Woodward had been loyal to the Glazers for many many years so I don’t think they will fire him.

But it's part of his job, so he's been interfering with himself ?

This is confusing
Well that was anticlimactic. Bit hard debating when you only have five daily posts.

How is it confusing? I don't want footballing decisions to be part of his job and just stick to marketing. Please read my post again then. I'm well aware that those decisions are part of his job at the moment and has been for the last seven years. That's what I want changed.

It's his job to appoint the managers?

LVG was the best qualified available manager in 2014.

Jose likewise in 2016.

So he's appointed the best two available options when hiring.
I was behind van Gaal and I really digged that he stuck by his methods. They weren't executed very well however. His philosophy takes time to implement. In hindsight it would've probably be better giving him a third season to execute. The transfers under van Gaal wasn't really too successful either.

Mourinho got his contract extended the 25th January the following the window Ed refused to back Mourinho.

Again. Short sighted and a scattergun in the market. I'm well aware footballing decisions are part of his job. I'm just saying his done an awful job and should bring in someone with a long term vision for our club. And the club should've done that nearly a decade ago.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not really sure where to put this (don't want to spam the transfer tweets thread)

Is this true?

oz insomniac

Not really sure where to put this (don't want to spam the transfer tweets thread)

Is this true?
That highlights just how smart Woody is, he has been able to retain Rojo, Smalling, Jones , Young and the like on silly wages while unfortunates like Citeh, Pool and others have actually changed their roster.

Perhaps he has a problem remembering names and doesn't want to make his life too difficult, that and the Glazers being American and wanting to run the club as well as they do the Tampa Bay side.

If that doesn't tell you that he is really out of his depth as quasi HOF, nothing does.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not totally accurate apparently. Also, counts 4 young players. Still, it's pretty damning.

De gea
Romero
Phil Jones
Chris Smalling
Marcos Rojo
Luke Shaw
Valencia
Lingard
Martial
Pereira
Mata
Young
Darmian
Herrera
TFM
Wilson
Henderson
Borthwick-Jackson

Again, no idea about the accuracy, but the same guy says we've spent 570M net since the Glazer takeover, in which time our turnover has been more than 6B. We obviously love to spend obscene amount one wages, wonder what the totality of wage spend has been in the same time (playing staff, not executives, failed managerial appointments and pay-offs, or Woody's 50man global scouting branch welded together by a PR firm).

Is this true?
I was thinking about this the other day, Its probably true.

Young
Smalling
Jones
Mata
Darmien
Rojo
Valencia*
Herrera*
Rashford
Lingard
De gea
Romero
Shaw

Plus a few academy players I'm assuming.

Woeful squad management.

AJ10

Feck me, that's depressing and most are first team players who wouldn't make bench for other top clubs at the moment.

In that time we've had Brilliant managers like LVG and Jose.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
I have backed Woody all this time and felt that he has gotten way to much greif. But signing ole to a contract before the season was over really showed how incompetent he is. I dont really know how to defend him anymore.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Young
Smalling
Jones
Mata
Darmien
Rojo
Valencia*
Herrera*
Rashford
Lingard
De gea
Romero
Shaw

Woeful squad management.
Shocking really. Most of these players have been shit for so many years, yet we award them with new contracts. This club seriously needs to change, and it needs to start at the top. Shame it wont happen

UncleBob

Well that was anticlimactic. Bit hard debating when you only have five daily posts.

How is it confusing? I don't want footballing decisions to be part of his job and just stick to marketing. Please read my post again then. I'm well aware that those decisions are part of his job at the moment and has been for the last seven years. That's what I want changed.
So you can't call it a fecking interference then :lol:

UncleBob

Is this true?
Not sure why 2015 is being used, the problem isn't players that have been here for 4 years, but players that have been here twice as long. That we're in 2019 and the likes of Young, Smalling, Jones, Valencia have survived this long in the club, under 3 different managers..

haram

Maybe. But then what? They are in full control. Woodward had been loyal to the Glazers for many many years so I don’t think they will fire him.
Makes me sick.

haram

Young
Smalling
Jones
Mata
Darmien
Rojo
Valencia*
Herrera*
Rashford
Lingard
De gea
Romero
Shaw

Woeful squad management.
Tuanzebe, TFM, Henderson. Did Martial join in 2015?

Bestietom

How can we get rid of the deadwood if we keep giving them new contracts. Ridiculous decision making of this great club, and Herrera let go for free. What the feck is going on here.

If there isn't as much as 5/6 players brought in this summer I won't be travelling over as much.

Patrick08

How can we get rid of the deadwood if we keep giving them new contracts. Ridiculous decision making of this great club, and Herrera let go for free. What the feck is going on here.

If there isn't as much as 5/6 players brought in this summer I won't be travelling over as much.
Now de gea going probably.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Can't find anything to suggest the practise is illegal here.
I remember that it was discussed after the Glazer takeover, and that some figures apparently wanted to outlaw leveraged takeovers of football clubs, specifically - but nothing happened.

I don't see how it could be done within the specific context of the "fit and proper" rule, frankly - there's nothing illegal about the acquisition method itself.

You'd have to protect football clubs - as cornerstones of a local community, say; or as something people actually are emotionally attached to, unlike a standard business - politically for something like that to work. And it won't happen, sadly.

Kapardin

Is anyone else offended by this? It's a gold etched sink to celebrate an achievement from two decades ago while we languish closer to midtable than the top of the league ...
Can hardly blame them, they are just doing what sponsors do. Real blame should be directed towards the board.

JoaquinJoaquin

Can't help but feel that Woody is at that point again this Summer where he has failed to secure the managers top targets and is now trying to throw crap at the wall and see who sticks. A common theme.

Infra-red

A leveraged takeover is what we are discussing. It was banned when and by who? And how?
I put this question to Duncan Drasdo a while ago and was told that they had been given assurances by the relevant football authorities that a leveraged buyout of the type we saw in 2005 would absolutely not be allowed to happen again. I have never subsequently seen any evidence to support this claim, however.

If the Glazers did put United up for sale, we'd have good reason to be concerned about this.

UncleBob

I put this question to Duncan Drasdo a while ago and was told that they had been given assurances by the relevant football authorities that a leveraged buyout of the type we saw in 2005 would absolutely not be allowed to happen again. I have never subsequently seen any evidence to support this claim, however.

If the Glazers did put United up for sale, we'd have good reason to be concerned about this.
Doubt it.

Josep Dowling

Common themes so far this summer:

• Pogba wants out - heavily linked with Juventus by decent sources
• De Gea hasn't signed a new contract with only months left - clearly going
•We want British players with a good attitude - linked with Daniel James and James Maddison. One a left winger when we have two already. Maddison is really a number 10 and doesn't fit into a 4-3-3 system Solskjaer prefers.
•Still not signed a player after the worst season in years
• An inexperienced manager at the realm coming off the back of the worst run of form in Premier League history.

How can any United fan stay positive right now. We need to get our club back ffs. I can't believe how quickly things have gone down hill and its all been since Woodward took over. Fergie left at the time granted but nothing was put in place for next managers. Look at Chelsea, they change manager nearly every season and even in a 'crisis', come out winning at least one trophy.

TrueRed79

This dope has 27 days till pre-season starts and all we seem to be doing is evaluating 'situations'. We don't seem capable in removing any of the players we don't need anymore either. We have a massive rebuild in front of us and this dithering twat isn't doing anything at all. Just look at what Real Madrid are doing as an example.

UncleBob

Common themes so far this summer:

• Pogba wants out - heavily linked with Juventus by decent sources
• De Gea hasn't signed a new contract with only months left - clearly going
•We want British players with a good attitude - linked with Daniel James and James Maddison. One a left winger when we have two already. Maddison is really a number 10 and doesn't fit into a 4-3-3 system Solskjaer prefers.
•Still not signed a player after the worst season in years
• An inexperienced manager at the realm coming off the back of the worst run of form in Premier League history.

How can any United fan stay positive right now. We need to get our club back ffs. I can't believe how quickly things have gone down hill and its all been since Woodward took over. Fergie left at the time granted but nothing was put in place for next managers. Look at Chelsea, they change manager nearly every season and even in a 'crisis', come out winning at least one trophy.
Christ :lol:

Johan07

Yeah, that has always been my take and worry. I don´t see how its legally possible to do it either if the FA and/or FIFA/UEFA bans club for having debt at all or at some level. Which would be really difficult to do from a legal perspective if you dont set the bar very, very high. There are many clubs in the PL that is on the level with or even have surpassed United if one compares turnover/net debt ratio. I dont see how it would work, which it is why its funny to see posters here declaring with emphasis that this is already the case (debt being banned, which kinda is the only way to stop a leveraged takeover), when its actually a very real possibility that it could happen. Its how myths are being born on forums like this and they are very difficult to kill when they have taken root.