Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

red4ever 79

If we only sign 2 players and the team under-perform again, there should be RIOTS at Old Trafford.

It's insane how much leeway this clown continues to get.
The only way any kind of action would initiate change is for fans not to attend the games at Old Trafford. An empty stadium would be captured and documented on every news channel in the world. Would be major news and would send a clear and direct message to the owners.

Unfortunately fans are never going to do that

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we only sign 2 players and the team under-perform again, there should be RIOTS at Old Trafford.

It's insane how much leeway this clown continues to get.
They won't be riots if Ole keeps defending them

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
People might call me a loony bin but I genuinely don’t think we have spent enough over the last 6/7 years.

Considering what needed to be done to the squad after Ronaldo left and Scholes and Carrick retired.
Our net spend in the transfer window until then was something like 20m per year...
700m isn’t enough. City had a better squad than us and have spent more in that time.
Van Gaal I think said it recently in an interview , ‘I thought Man United could buy anyone’ , which is of course what Woodward bragged about too.
If we were spending enough, we would have put in a 100-120m bid for Sancho this summer.
Yes, good post. You need to read between the lines a bit - regarding issues at the club - from what the former managers (and one former scout) hinted at after they left. But it's not rocket science. Ed's ego. Ed's cluelessness. Ed as a kind of buffer for the board, who seem remote and only vaguely interested. Ed, with his ham-fisted approach. Splurging too often wrong place, wrong time; skimping when it was time to open the purse-strings.

vanderpants

Arsenal haven’t outspent us.

We haven’t had to sell to buy.

Why do people constantly take rumours and portray them as facts?
They will have once the Pepe deal is confirmed this week, even villa have spent more than us and its common knowledge that we are waiting on player sales to spend

Johan07

Didn't understand you post but tried to. Please correct me if I am wrong. Are what you saying is that we took many variables like age 29, wages, length of contract, fee paid and sell on value into account and work out that Sanchez is worth an outlay of £180m and another example Pogba at 23 on a 5 yer contract which I read was initially was £280,000 which works out as roughly £70m plus £89m fee is worth £160m outlay when he has potential sell on fee as well and Sanchez has no sell on fee. How does this work out?

Please tell me the bits that I've worked out out wrong, I may have worked it all out completely wrong. From yoour post it seems that you know a lot about this. Like I said I didn't understand your post but tried my best to as I am no expert , so could you please explain? :)
Pretty much what you just said. The major difference between the Sanchez and Pogba transfers is the age variable and their asset (sell-on) value.
We will go "plus" on Pogba if we sell him this summer or next. Including the wages we have paid him so far. We will have made like serious money of that transfer if it happens. Which is crazy in its own way.
The Sanchez money we will never recoup. Basically the transfer fee (and the sign-on fee we paid him) we spent on Sanchez was/is a direct cost and the Pogba money an investment. They are not comparable.
Thats why speaking about gross spend and even more net spend is irrelevant. You cant compare one transfer to another like that.
Its why the Sanchez-transfer was super-expensive for the club and the Pogba-transfer now in retrospect was a great deal. Even if Pogbas transfer fee was much higher officially.
Thats also why the club wont hesitate to invest major cash into young players, but hopefully have learned a lesson about doing the same for players 28plus. At least I hope so.

Fluctuation0161

Yes, good post. You need to read between the lines a bit - regarding issues at the club - from what the former managers (and one former scout) hinted at after they left. But it's not rocket science. Ed's ego. Ed's cluelessness. Ed as a kind of buffer for the board, who seem remote and only vaguely interested. Ed, with his ham-fisted approach. Splurging too often wrong place, wrong time; skimping when it was time to open the purse-strings.
You got it right with your last line. Skimping. These guys don't want to invest enough. We are being run as a cash cow. Milk us occasionally while feeding us scraps.

Eric's Seagull

Pretty much what you just said. The major difference between the Sanchez and Pogba transfers is the age variable and their asset (sell-on) value.
We will go "plus" on Pogba if we sell him this summer or next. Including the wages we have paid him so far. We will have made like serious money of that transfer if it happens. Which is crazy in its own way.
The Sanchez money we will never recoup. Basically the transfer fee (and the sign-on fee we paid him) we spent on Sanchez was/is a direct cost and the Pogba money an investment. They are not comparable.
Thats why speaking about gross spend and even more net spend is irrelevant. You cant compare one transfer to another like that.
Its why the Sanchez-transfer was super-expensive for the club and the Pogba-transfer now in retrospect was a great deal. Even if Pogbas transfer fee was much higher officially.
Thats also why the club wont hesitate to invest major cash into young players, but hopefully have learned a lesson about doing the same for players 28plus. At least I hope so.
Thank you very much for explaining so clearly and thoroughly :)

Castia

What an absolute shit show of a summer.

I thought this was going to be the year we cleared out the deadwood and started fresh with 4-5 new signings, with 11 days to go we haven’t sold anybody and have added Dan James and AWB....it’s just not good enough.

Sanchez7

What an absolute shit show of a summer.

I thought this was going to be the year we cleared out the deadwood and started fresh with 4-5 new signings, with 11 days to go we haven’t sold anybody and have added Dan James and AWB....it’s just not good enough.
Shocking. Even if players come in, it will take them time to get used to the way Ole wants to play.

Getting the deals done early to help them settle would have been ideal instead we are going into the season with two signings and our £90m striker having not played a single game in preseason waiting for his transfer.

Alabaster Codify7

Seriously like, what is this man doing? Has he lost the plot completely ? Does he really think James & AWB is a successful window for us?

Season tickets all sold out? CHECK.
Less than £100 million spent with one week of the window left? CHECK.
Positive vibes being spread from within the camp in pre-season? CHECK.

I'd say Woodward thinks this has been a picture perfect transfer window.

VanGaalyTime

Potential for actual riots around the ground by October? Check.

nooshka

Potential for actual riots around the ground by October? Check.
I really really hope so and I really hope it gets these scumbags out of the club. Every time a picture of Woodward comes up on twitter or the likes I get this uncontrollable rage come over me.

Reiver

Transfer business all completed before the pre-season tour? CHECK.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Actually, I firmly believe he is that fecking stupid.
I don't think he's stupid. I just don't think Woodward and the Glazers care about our succes unless we have someone like SAF who can be succesfull on a budget. It doesn't really seem like us the fans care either. We've become so accustomed to challenging for the top 4(which we mostly fail at). We're worse than Arsenal.

C'est Moi Cantona

True, but just as long as his usual -

Blame the manager when it all goes tits up, doesn't 'CHECK' this time, then that's the important thing.

Keefy18

As you seem to swat away any gripes people have with the board/Ed. Again, why did he allow insane money for Sanchez but publicly undermine the manager 6 months earlier (and derail the season) when Jose requested more 'sensible' signings? his incompetence to run a FOOTBALL CLUB is masked by its sheer wealth to not be accountable for it.
It wasn't 6 months earlier, it was 6 moths later.

Sanchez was signed in Jan 18, the fall out over a CB was in the summer 2018 window 5 months later.

Jose was backed, its crazy to suggest otherwise.

He spent more money on Fred and Pogba than Real spent in between 2015 - 18.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It wasn't 6 months earlier, it was 6 moths later.

Sanchez was signed in Jan 18, the fall out over a CB was in the summer 2018 window 5 months later.

Jose was backed, its crazy to suggest otherwise.

He spent more money on Fred and Pogba than Real spent in between 2015 - 18.
And they still had a much better squad. We needed continuous investment until we get where we wanted to be. Absolutely no point comparing us with a club that already owned most of the best players in the world when it comes to investment.

Keefy18

They will have once the Pepe deal is confirmed this week, even villa have spent more than us and its common knowledge that we are waiting on player sales to spend
This is the new "Real Madrid" are a club that knows how to conduct itself and showing ambition.

Who the feck have Villa bought that is a genuine talent and will push them on? Mings? :lol: Targett?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I hope that fecker is ready, there's one hell of a storm brewing for this season and it won't take much for it to rain down hard on him, which it will before the end of the season.
Yep. United fans are generally patient, but it is pretty obvious at this point who is the root of the problem.
If season doesn't go well, he will be absolutely battered.

izzydiggler

I think it’s a lot more comforting for some fans to think of Woodward as this clown, who is totally inept and single-handedly the reason we won’t be competing for major trophies in the foreseeable future because the reality is that almost certainly that he’s doing exactly what the owners want him to do and we are done as a ‘super power’ in world football, at least on the playing side of the business.

We’ll almost certainly buy Maguire and maybe Longstaff, sell Lukaku but as it’ll be last minute, the desperation of signing at least one good first team player will feel like a relative win, people will convince themselves that Greenwood is better than Lukaku, that James will be the next Giggs etc. The excitement of the new season and annual “forget the summer, it’s time to support whatever players are wearing the shirt” will be used to shoot down any people complaining and will allow Woodward to quietly pick up his bonuses and the cycle to continue. Worst case is the scarves come out again for a few months, whilst Woodward and The Glazers are pissing themselves at the notion that it’s all about incompetence, rather than the generation of money for them all.

Keefy18

And they still had a much better squad. We needed continuous investment until we get where we wanted to be. Absolutely no point comparing us with a club that already owned most of the best players in the world when it comes to investment.
No denying that, I'm not the one who has used RM as a the go template its others who hate Ed and the board that cite their spending this summer as evidence of us failing but ignore the fact they've woefully under spent for a number of years.

Keefy18

I think it’s a lot more comforting for some fans to think of Woodward as this clown, who is totally inept and single-handedly the reason we won’t be competing for major trophies in the foreseeable future because the reality is that almost certainly that he’s doing exactly what the owners want him to do and we are done as a ‘super power’ in world football, at least on the playing side of the business.

We’ll almost certainly buy Maguire and maybe Longstaff, sell Lukaku but as it’ll be last minute, the desperation of signing at least one good first team player will feel like a relative win, people will convince themselves that Greenwood is better than Lukaku, that James will be the next Giggs etc. The excitement of the new season and annual “forget the summer, it’s time to support whatever players are wearing the shirt” will be used to shoot down any people complaining and will allow Woodward to quietly pick up his bonuses and the cycle to continue. Worst case is the scarves come out again for a few months, whilst Woodward and The Glazers are pissing themselves at the notion that it’s all about incompetence, rather than the generation of money for them all.
Not really the thread for it but seriously?

I'd have Greenwood in over Rom at this point.

Rom's warming 1st first touch is akin to Jimmy Saville! He isn't effective for what Ole wants.

Zoo

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens between now and the end of the window. Ed needs to deliver.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
It's going to be very interesting to see what happens between now and the end of the window. Ed needs to deliver.
Considering how many things are contingent on sales, I'm not holding my breath.

Latest news is that we're waiting for Lukakus' departure before we sign Maguire which is baffling considering we would need a new striker if we sold Lukaku. Although, we are yet to sign any midfielder having sold Fellaini in January, and losing Herrera in June so maybe club is that incompetent.

Moriarty

Yep. If Ole doesn't get at least two more players he'll have to work a miracle to get top four.
And if we get a run of injuries, we'll be up shit creek. We've got cover in some positions but if, say Wan Bissaka gets crocked, or Smalling or Lindelof (assuming we're not buying Maguire), who ya gonna call? Might as well be Ghostbusters.

Irwin99

We've finished outside of the top four in 3 of the last 4 seasons. When you look at it this way the investment of Dalot and Fred last year and James and AWB this window (so far) is not very encouraging. It's just not enough even in a crazy market with inflated prices. We're meant to be one of the richest clubs in the world.

I expect two more signings with Lukaku leaving. Not sure that will be enough though.

Mindhunter

The only way any kind of action would initiate change is for fans not to attend the games at Old Trafford. An empty stadium would be captured and documented on every news channel in the world. Would be major news and would send a clear and direct message to the owners.

Unfortunately fans are never going to do that
No, that will not initiate change. Matchday revenues are a pittance compared to TV revenue. Have you seen the massive crowds in Australia, Singapore, and China? They can't get enough of the team and will continue to provide a massive user base that companies can monetize and advertise to.

There is no realistic scenario that will suddenly change the whole objective of the Glazer ownership to suddenly invest all the profits we are making into acquiring new players. Neither is it a sure shot recipe for success.

Keefy18

We've finished outside of the top four in 3 of the last 4 seasons. When you look at it this way the investment of Dalot and Fred last year and James and AWB this window (so far) is not very encouraging. It's just not enough even in a crazy market with inflated prices. We're meant to be one of the richest clubs in the world.

I expect two more signings with Lukaku leaving. Not sure that will be enough though.
I'm confident the 3 highlighted can be very good signings.

I'm not sure what the issue is with signing players like this? I mean isn't it kinda what City and especially Liverpool are doing? Keita (Leipzig), Robertson (Hull), Shaqiri (Stoke) etc etc....

I think the days of buying big names over and over is dying.

Have to say I completely agree with the below, the game and in particular the PL is ruined.