Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Irwin99

I'm confident the 3 highlighted can be very good signings.

I'm not sure what the issue is with signing players like this? I mean isn't it kinda what City and especially Liverpool are doing? Keita (Leipzig), Robertson (Hull), Shaqiri (Stoke) etc etc....

I think the days of buying big names over and over is dying.

Have to say I completely agree with the below, the game and in particular the PL is ruined.

Well it's not only the quality of the signings it's also who we are prepared to let go of instead of tying them to silly contracts that no other club can afford so that we remain stuck with them. I'm assuming that Maguire will come and that we will get another midfielder. We lost two midfielders from last season and have yet to replace either.

Really don't think Dalot has exactly set the world alight so far and I just don't see what he excels at other than being a decent crosser of the ball. He's still very young but i'm just not seeing much on terms of encouraging signs. AWB will be a very good signing i think and James will mature into a good player too but we really more than this. Much more I would argue. A centre forward, a right winger, another midfielder and a centre back or two.

Keefy18

Right. Which makes our new strategy of targeting mostly PL players even more stupid.
It's not PL players, just English / Homegrown.

We got a great deal on James. Think AWB was a tidy bit of business as well.

Keefy18

Well it's not only the quality of the signings it's also who we are prepared to let go of instead of tying them to silly contracts that no other club can afford so that we remain stuck with them. I'm assuming that Maguire will come and that we will get another midfielder. We lost two midfielders from last season and have yet to replace either.

Really don't think Dalot has exactly set the world alight so far and I just don't see what he excels at other than being a decent crosser of the ball. He's still very young but i'm just not seeing much on terms of encouraging signs. AWB will be a very good signing i think and James will mature into a good player too but we really more than this. Much more I would argue. A centre forward, a right winger, another midfielder and a centre back or two.
It's a difficult market as the tweet suggests.

I agree that we are going to see more and more players simply run their deals down and move for even bigger pay days like Sanchez, Ramsey, Herrera and probably Eriksen in the year ahead.

As maddening as it is for us, its business sense to tie them down and try make a profit on players.

Gotta remember with Dalot, we signed him with a broken leg and had to try hit the ground running in that sh*t show of a season. I can see him making it as a RW myself rather than a RB, but could be used as a RB if needed of course.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Which happen to play where excatly? In China?

James is yet to be seen, absolutely no way you can say which way it will go. AWB was expensive and took us a while to conclude the deal. No one will give a shit if he turns great for us, but it was a lot of money.

And by all reports we are chasing Longstaff and Maguire the whole summer for crazy amounts. You just said that you agree PL market is totally broken and we are buying and trying to make most deals in that exact market.

Still and again, you somehow try to spin and paint that in other direction that suit your general narrative in which Ed or the board can't do no wrong. Quite impressive.

Keefy18

Which happen to play where excatly? In China?

James is yet to be seen, absolutely no way you can say which way it will go. AWB was expensive and took us a while to conclude the deal. No one will give a shit if he turns great for us, but it was a lot of money.

And by all reports we are chasing Longstaff and Maguire the whole summer for crazy amounts. You just said that you agree PL market is totally broken and we are buying and trying to make most deals in that exact market.

Still and again, you somehow try to spin and paint that in other direction that suit your general narrative in which Ed or the board can't do no wrong. Quite impressive.
I mean they don't have to specifically play in the PL, We can buy from the championship effectively. Hell we could if were smart even buy from the PL effectively but our scouting hasn't been great.

No, none of us can predict the future. We could spend big on a big name and have them fail...we've seen that plenty in recent years. If James doesn't make the cut, we've hardly hurt ourselves financially. What was it, £12m?

Longstaff I've no desire to sign. If the rumors were true I reckon we could get him for £30m. I'm not saying its great business but again in today's market that isn't breaking the bank either. Personally I've not seen the kid as yet, hearing good things though.

Maguire will be the costly one and with 4 years left on the deal, they hold all the cards. I mean we could probably sign Ake for about half the price.

jasT1981

He has to have something up his sleeve until the end of window. Even he can't be that dumb.
Are you forgetting 2013. Jetting home on 'urgent transfer business' on July 17th July... fails to trigger Fellaini's release clause, lets it expire then pays more for him in the dying seconds of deadline day as our only signing on Sept 2nd.

Johan07

Are you forgetting 2013. Jetting home on 'urgent transfer business' on July 17th July... fails to trigger Fellaini's release clause, lets it expire then pays more for him in the dying seconds of deadline day as our only signing on Sept 2nd.
Blame Gill for that.

Jim Beam

I mean they don't have to specifically play in the PL, We can buy from the championship effectively. Hell we could if were smart even buy from the PL effectively but our scouting hasn't been great.

No, none of us can predict the future. We could spend big on a big name and have them fail...we've seen that plenty in recent years. If James doesn't make the cut, we've hardly hurt ourselves financially. What was it, £12m?

Longstaff I've no desire to sign. If the rumors were true I reckon we could get him for £30m. I'm not saying its great business but again in today's market that isn't breaking the bank either. Personally I've not seen the kid as yet, hearing good things though.

Maguire will be the costly one and with 4 years left on the deal, they hold all the cards. I mean we could probably sign Ake for about half the price.
All am saying is that our transfer strategy looking from outside doesn't look good at all. Choping and changing it every year doesn't help one bit also imo. Maybe we will go for "old & bold" next season.

Only thing I agree is James. Didn't cost much, seems hardworking, willing to come and give it all. Also, brought early and clearly scouted for some period of time. Sure, why not? But, as our only winger as it seems and in one of positions we are desperate for. Like, to improve our starting XI? That's crazy... Can't wait for some to turn on the lad if he doesn't deliver in his first few games. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Johan07

All am saying is that our transfer strategy looking from outside doesn't look great at all. Choping and changing it every year doesn't help one bit also imo. Maybe we will go for "old & bold" next season.

Only thing I agree is James. Didn't cost much, seems hardworking, willing to come and give it all. Also, brought early and clearly scouted for some period of time. Sure, why not? But, as our only winger as it seems and in one of positions we are desperate for. Like, to improve our starting XI? That's crazy... Can't wait for some to turn on the lad if he doesn't come deliver in his few games. :rolleyes:
Both Wan-Bissaka and James are good signings. We need 2-3 more though. Maguire, Fernandes and Longstaff in addition to those two; with Pogba staying and De Gea signing a new contract and it will have been a decent window.

Johan07

Blame everyone, bar Ed.
Woodward was not even CEO until it was a couple of weeks left of that window. So yeah, the planning for that summer is on Gill and Sir Alex. Not to mention the Moyes appointment and his involvement.

Jim Beam

Both Wan-Bissaka and James are good signings. We need 2-3 more though. Maguire, Fernandes and Longstaff in addition to those two; with Pogba staying and it will have been a decent window.
We will see. I don't think that is particularly great (have my doubts about Maguire), but it is decent as you say and I'll be fine with it.

At least it gives Ole some chance.

Jim Beam

Woodward was not even CEO until it was a couple of weeks left of that window. So yeah, the planning for that summer is on Gill and Sir Alex. Not to mention the Moyes appointment and his involvement.
The club and Gill announced his stepping down few months from the start of that window (in the middle of February 2013). By reports, they also left Herrera and Thiago recommendations on Moyes desk.

In short, that window is purely on Ed and Moyes.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Simple:

Club values
Man United
2011: $661 million
2018: $1865 million

Man City
2011: $180 million
2018: $1331 million

Liverpool
2011: $250 million
2018: $1204 million

Chelsea
2011: $314 million
2018: $1195 million

Arsenal
2011: $301 million
2018: $1083 million

In an overall market of aggressive growth - Ed/Glazers have substantially wasted our potential growth. Had we been successful with our football, our club value growth would have been much much higher.

It’s simple: Ed should receive 0 credit for the ‘commercial’ success when you consider he inherited a marketing machine. All those commercial deals came in looking at 661m not Ed Woodward.

He has been a colossal failure in a footballing world and there’s no way you justify it otherwise. He has grown this football club at a slower pace than any other top 5

jasT1981

The club and Gill announced his stepping down few months from the start of that window (in the middle of February 2013). By reports, they also left Herrera and Thiago recommendations on Moyes desk.

In short, that window is purely on Ed and Moyes.
Correct. Woodward took charge on July 1st. The day the window opened after Gill stood down on June 30th.. From Utd's own press release dated Feb 20th 2013.

https://web.archive.org/web/2017062...es-responsibilities-at-manchester-united.aspx

(NYSE:Man Utd) Ed Woodward, Manchester United’s executive vice chairman, is to assume the responsibilities that David Gill will relinquish on 30 June. From 1 July, Ed will have overall responsibility for the club, including, in conjunction with Sir Alex Ferguson, facilitating transfer activity.
Gill was gone before the window opened

Keefy18

Simple:

Club values
Man United

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Arsenal

In an overall market of aggressive growth - Ed/Glazers have substantially wasted our potential growth. Had we been successful with our football, our club value growth would have been much much higher.

It’s simple: Ed should receive 0 credit for the ‘commercial’ success when you consider he inherited a marketing machine. All those commercial deals came in looking at 661m not Ed Woodward.

He has been a colossal failure in a footballing world and there’s no way you justify it otherwise. He has grown this football club at a slower pace than any other top 5
Ugh, how shall I put this... your figures are absolute rubbish!

The Glazers bought out Man United in 2005 valued at approx £800m... Our current valuation as per Forbes(https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-united/) is £3b.

Being as you can't even get Man United's valuations correct I'm going suggest the rest of your figures are completely incorrect also.

Simple? :lol:

EDIT:

Why did you pick a random start point of 2011? The glazers bought United in 2005? The sheikhs bought City in 2008. Fenway Sports Group bought Liverpool in 2010. Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003.

Arsenal are the only club that are relevant to 2011 where Kroenke became a significant shareholder at that point. It wasn't until last year that he became majority shareholder I believe, so even that isn't entirely relevant either.

Your City amount in 2011 is wrong as is the current figure.
Liverpool was bought by FSG for £300 and current value 1.7b

You get the idea...the figures are an absolute mess.

Last edited:

Johan07

Ugh, how shall I put this... your figures are absolute rubbish!

The Glazers bought out Man United in 2005 valued at approx £800m... Our current valuation as per Forbes(https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-united/) is £3b.

Being as you can't even get Man United's valuations correct I'm going suggest the rest of your figures are completely incorrect also.

Simple? :lol:

EDIT:

Why did you pick a random start point of 2011? The glazers bought United in 2005? The sheikhs bought City in 2008. Fenway Sports Group bought Liverpool in 2010. Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003.

Arsenal are the only club that are relevant to 2011 where Kroenke became a significant shareholder at that point. It wasn't until last year that he became majority shareholder I believe, so even that isn't entirely relevant either.

Your City amount in 2011 is wrong as is the current figure.
Liverpool was bought by FSG for £300 and current value 1.7b

You get the idea...the figures are an absolute mess.
Simple:

Club values
Man United

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Arsenal

This is such complete rubbish. United was valued at 4,1bn USD by Forbes, which in their latest update went down to 3,8plus USD because of the £/USD ratio and whatever you guys are doing with the Brexit-situation. What an utterly rubbish post.

Keefy18

This is such complete rubbish. United was valued at 4,1bn USD by Forbes, which in their latest update went down to 3,8plus USD because of the £/USD ratio and whatever you guys are doing with the Brexit-situation. What an utterly rubbish post.
His figures are rubbish not mine, I've just quote widely reported figures at the time of buyout of Man United and FSG for example.

I'm aware he has quoted dollar amounts which are wrong anyway, completely wrong. I just quoted the sterling amounts reported at the time.

But yes I agree its an utterly rubbish point to make and I was pointing that out.

Johan07

His figures are rubbish not mine, I've just quote widely reported figures at the time of buyout of Man United and FSG for example.

I'm aware he has quoted dollar amounts which are wrong anyway, completely wrong. I just quoted the sterling amounts reported at the time.

But yes I agree its an utterly rubbish point to make and I was pointing that out.
Yeah. I was not replying to you. My mistake.

Johan07

Ah ok, my bad :)

At a guess it was cherry picked from twitter from a glazerout page or the like, pretty sure I've seen this before on there.
The number s ltb less than 2bn dollars is probably from when the Glazers floated the Class A shares 5 years ago. Without proper voting rights and mandatory dividend payments. It was not a proper valuation then and it is even less today.
Again: utterly rubbish post and I did not mean to make you responsible for it.

Last edited:

passing-wind

One of the richest teams in the league yet you've got Villa spending millions, Fulham last season millions and we are the only ones complaining about no value in the market with a declining piece of rubbish on almost half a million a week.

Woodward follows whatever the trend is, few seasons ago it was that United can do things other clubs dream of now it's there's no value. This is going to end in disappointment, Solskjaer will not last the full season with this current batch of players. Anyone who thinks otherwise please tell me one pivotal aspect that has changed since the end end of last season. No departures, the same spine of dross and an even worse midfield. 7th place finish is all but guaranteed you would have to be off your mind to think we can finish in the top 4.

Alabaster Codify7

Woodward has lucked out here in that he has a narrative to spin and he loves spinning a narrative.

He has a manager who harps on about "the United way" and giving youth a chance. Which is all well and good, but he's going to use that narrative to spin a reason for not signing new players. Plus, Ole's polite public demeanour means nobody will actually challenge or deny the narrative he spins.

lsd

The Oracle
I assume from this thread that there are 10% of utd fans that are good sensible people aware of the facts .

Then the other 90% of utd fans are the most ignorant over entitled moaning crying little Muppets who need to take a long look at themselves and realise how lucky they are to support this club they do nothing but complain about while making up stupid stories that we don't spend money when we clearly feckin do .

I hope other clubs fans and forums see the sheer garbage you post and are laughing their heads off because you really are an embarrassment.

Wake up and get behind the club and stop the constant boring moaning over rubbish you cannot affect

Josep Dowling

I like AWB but to suggest paying essentially £50m for a 21 year old RB is good business seems a bit extreme. I would expect to get an international and played Champions League football for that price.

Kyle Walker cost £50m just 2 seasons ago who was the best RB in the league, prime age and at a club fighting for the top 4.

Josep Dowling

I assume from this thread that there are 10% of utd fans that are good sensible people aware of the facts .

Then the other 90% of utd fans are the most ignorant over entitled moaning crying little Muppets who need to take a long look at themselves and realise how lucky they are to support this club they do nothing but complain about while making up stupid stories that we don't spend money when we clearly feckin do .

I hope other clubs fans and forums see the sheer garbage you post and are laughing their heads off because you really are an embarrassment.

Wake up and get behind the club and stop the constant boring moaning over rubbish you cannot affect
Bore off top red. After years of fighting for the title are you now happy with not even making the top 4? This isn’t about entitlement. The club the size of Manchester United, with the resources and fan base should be in the same stature as Real Madrid and Barcelona. That’s just a fact. No Manchester United fan should be happy with the current performance.

He'sRaldo

Not really, I'm sure a lot of fans just don't post on this thread because it's become a bit shite really. I reckon the ratio's more 40-60; at least I hope so...

lsd

The Oracle
Not really, I'm sure a lot of fans just don't post on this thread because it's become a bit shite really. I reckon the ratio's more 40-60; at least I hope so...

Hope so too I was talking about this page mainly and a few others that are just fill of moaners who wont listen to reason

C'est Moi Cantona

Are you looking for a big pat on the back for this post? You might be disappointed if so.

I do not believe for one second that 90 % are complaining we don't spend money, it's how we've spent it, how we've wasted it, and how we refuse to get the right people in to start spending it, that is real sticking point just now.

Sing you a song

Big week coming up for Ed .
We desperately need minimum another 2 top signings ( more if Lukaku and / or Pogba move on )
Central defence has been a problem for a number of years and not addressing this area this window would be beyond ridiculous.
Centre mid is also massively short on quality especially with Herrera going .
Up grading our right back and signing a good future prospect is nowhere near enough to get us back where we want/ need to be .
We’ve been playing hardball with fees and it’s got us nowhere you can’t play hardball when the world knows just how desperate you are .
Just bite the bullet and sign the cheques Ed before it’s too late

lsd

The Oracle
Are you looking for a big pat on the back for this post? You might be disappointed if so.

I do not believe for one second that 90 % are complaining we don't spend money, it's how we've spent it, how we've wasted it, and how we refuse to get the right people in to start spending it, that is real sticking point just now.

You do know Ed didnt go out and spend over 700 million on players he wanted ?

People have made countless posts here that he hasn't backed the managers and he clearly has .

The fact that money has been mostly wasted is not down to him or the Glaziers yet people just think he should continue to buy whoever he is asked to buy at whatever price he is is quoted .

That's not how it works we have 6 centre backs he is entitled to wonder why he should spend 80 million on another one that I'm sure hes been told isn't the greatest CB in the world .

Likewise other deals . We have the highest wages in the country we should be making a lot more of that than we do and the fact we dont is not down to him .

He has seen and heard fans wanting 3 managers sacked because of the tumescent football they served up with mostly poor results yet fans expect him now to spend 3 or 4 hundred million on another managers wishlist if that is what Ole has asked and that's a big if people keep ignoring .

Managers have been backed to the hilt and I'm sure they will continue to be backed so long as they deliver which up to Ole they haven't.

Unlike a lot on here I believe Ole is the answer and we will succeed . He will get what he wants and then you can find something else to moan about . The debt perhaps or the glaziers taking money from their own club

clarkydaz

You do know Ed didnt go out and spend over 700 million on players he wanted ?

People have made countless posts here that he hasn't backed the managers and he clearly has .

The fact that money has been mostly wasted is not down to him or the Glaziers yet people just think he should continue to buy whoever he is asked to buy at whatever price he is is quoted .

That's not how it works we have 6 centre backs he is entitled to wonder why he should spend 80 million on another one that I'm sure hes been told isn't the greatest CB in the world .

Likewise other deals . We have the highest wages in the country we should be making a lot more of that than we do and the fact we dont is not down to him .

He has seen and heard fans wanting 3 managers sacked because of the tumescent football they served up with mostly poor results yet fans expect him now to spend 3 or 4 hundred million on another managers wishlist if that is what Ole has asked and that's a big if people keep ignoring .

Managers have been backed to the hilt and I'm sure they will continue to be backed so long as they deliver which up to Ole they haven't.

Unlike a lot on here I believe Ole is the answer and we will succeed . He will get what he wants and then you can find something else to moan about . The debt perhaps or the glaziers taking money from their own club
Who is that down to?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
People who are relentlessly defending this idiot, I want to know your opinions on

- Why were new contracts handed to Rojo and Jones, two players who just cannot stand on both feet

- Why did we pay way over the odds for Sanchez, a player we never needed because Martial was really shining in that LW spot at that time?. Why do you think Manchester city who courted him for two summers backed out? Is spending huge part of your wage bill on one declining player who best plays in a position which was already sorted justified?

- Last season clearly showed that the CB position needed strengthening. How can Woodward expect OGS to work with the dross bought by other managers? He didn't ask for useless Rojo, a forever injured and technically limited Bailly. Darmian is non existent. On the contrary the other team in Manchester let go of the shit players other managers bought so why are we awarding new contracts instead of being a little ruthless?

- Woodward talked about getting a DOF but boom nothing happened. Why is an investment banker making football decisions in a club of this stature? If we had proper football people making decisions we wouldn't have signed Sanchez because of his demands(just like city backed away) and made other mistakes

- Why do we offer salaries higher than market value? So many shit players are on huge wages and now we are unable to sell them. If not Woodward then who is responsible for this?

- Do you think it was a good idea to hand OGS the permanent role before the end of the season? I mean he wasn't going anywhere and proper evaluation could have been done. I don't think it can be termed as mistake but more like premature.

- Why wasn't Jose backed last season? He need new CBs and hindsight says yes we did. It was not his mistake that Bailly, Rojo and Jones were always injured. Now, we are seemingly after the same players with the same situation and again, nothing has been done. Who is responsible for it? If we are priced out of Maguire deal than what are the fallback options?

Denis79

People who are relentlessly defending this idiot, I want to know your opinions on

- Why were new contracts handed to Rojo and Jones, two players who just cannot stand on both feet

- Why did we pay way over the odds for Sanchez, a player we never needed because Martial was really shining in that LW spot at that time?. Why do you think Manchester city who courted him for two summers backed out? Is spending huge part of your wage bill on one declining player who best plays in a position which was already sorted justified?

- Last season clearly showed that the CB position needed strengthening. How can Woodward expect OGS to work with the dross bought by other managers? He didn't ask for useless Rojo, a forever injured and technically limited Bailly. Darmian is non existent. On the contrary the other team in Manchester let go of the shit players other managers bought so why are we awarding new contracts instead of being a little ruthless?

- Woodward talked about getting a DOF but boom nothing happened. Why is an investment banker making football decisions in a club of this stature? If we had proper football people making decisions we wouldn't have signed Sanchez because of his demands(just like city backed away) and made other mistakes

- Why do we offer salaries higher than market value? So many shit players are on huge wages and now we are unable to sell them. If not Woodward then who is responsible for this?

- Do you think it was a good idea to hand OGS the permanent role before the end of the season? I mean he wasn't going anywhere and proper evaluation could have been done. I don't think it can be termed as mistake but more like premature.

- Why wasn't Jose backed last season? He need new CBs and hindsight says yes we did. It was not his mistake that Bailly, Rojo and Jones were always injured. Now, we are seemingly after the same players with the same situation and again, nothing has been done. Who is responsible for it? If we are priced out of Maguire deal than what are the fallback options?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.co.uk/amp/sport/manchester-united-ed-woodward-mourinho-195660

Some entertainment until you get an answer.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
"Managers and players may come and go, but the one constant is Woodward. The boardroom Tarantino deserves all the praise in the world for carefully constructing a clusterfeck of such epic proportions. He could not have planned it all any worse - and therefore any better. Neither back nor sack the manager - just wait for him to monumentally crack"

:lol::lol:

Denis79

"Managers and players may come and go, but the one constant is Woodward. The boardroom Tarantino deserves all the praise in the world for carefully constructing a clusterfeck of such epic proportions. He could not have planned it all any worse - and therefore any better. Neither back nor sack the manager - just wait for him to monumentally crack"

:lol::lol:
Haha yeah, it's gold.