Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well our season is finished before a balls even been kicked. Fully expect wolves and Everton to finish above us this season.

It’s taken this feckwit months to sign 3 players That weren’t even hard to communicate with. It’s not as if they were having to jet between countries and uses translators etc.
Yep, 130m on our defence has weakened us a treat :wenger:

C'est Moi Cantona

That's why all of this is so strange. I don't know what to believe. But the facts are we are two days away from the window closing and we will see a ton of creative and needed midfielders and forwards move.

We better fecking sign one.
Just can't see it now, and I don't know what Ole is supposed to do with that he's got, both Fellaini and Herrera not replaced, and no viable youth option to step up.

fps

The disappointment is not with the signs we made, its the ones we haven't. All our signings are good/make sense but they do not occur in a vacuum.

As it stands I would rate our window 5.5 out of 10. Good signings but not enough problems fixed.

If Maguire is our last man incoming and Lukaku leaves it then drops then to around a 2/10 as we would have spent feck all and created as many problems as we fixed.

Look at some facts to see why our current business while good can not be considered great.

1. Pogba is our ONLY midfielder definitely good enough for a top team. McTominay is looking good buy lets not overrate him. Matic is now truly a bottom 10 team player. Andreas has not progressed as of yet. Fred is the most up and down player I have seen in a long time and midfield is not a place for inconsistencies as big as his. SO with Herrera and Fellaini gone that leaves us with at best 1 midfielder needed but ideally 2. 3 if Pogba left.

2. We still don't own a RW. Yes we are probably waiting for Sancho BUT if we miss CL then that was a waste of time.

3. If Lukaku leaves and we dont buy a Striker/Winger we are down a good 15+ goals. Lingard and Mata won't be making them up and those two will see more of the extra minutes than Greenwood Gomes and Chong imo.

So yes while our signings are good we are 1 player sale away from it being an awful window IF the lukaku money is not all reinvested this window. And right now the reports suggest this could very well happen.
1 - yep absolutely. I don't see a future for Pereira at the club at all.
2 - true but we now have a proper attacking full-back there and I'm not sure we need a winger as such over there. Probably waiting on Sancho, not much in the market that seemed to fit the complete person and ability bill.
3 - I'm not concerned about Lukaku leaving. I feel there are too many attacking players currently, and they're all looking at each other to get the goals. It's time to put the eggs in the baskets, if Rashford's got a new contract he needs the responsibility of getting the goals. If Martial's got a future, he's now of an age where he has to get the goals. These two need to start doing it week-in, week-out, and in no uncertain terms Lukaku's leaving would lay the burden of goals at their feet. THAT is when you find out if they're Man Utd quality or not, it's what Ferguson did with players, he said "There's your place in the team, now go and do it, cos no-one else will". Lukaku also seems to be a poor character around the squad, and he hasn't taken care of himself in the ways expected.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
They may do, it will be much closer than last year. I think if we can hold on to Lukaku, we might keep our noses ahead of them.

Why would you even want him at the club still he’s been conducting himself in a very childish manner since he wanted out. The guy has cut ties with the club. He’s not even training with the club at this point he’s training at anderlecht.

Yep, 130m on our defence has weakened us a treat :wenger:
Defensively we’re good but a couple of injuries and we’re back to young and Jones\rojo\smalling

If Pogba gets injured then what? our midfield is relegation standard then.

What if rashford and martial get injuries? We’ve absolutely no depth in attack whatsoever. Especially if Lukaku goes which he should do. Our youth are good but it’s a lot of pressure for them if they get flung in.

Keefy18

The only conclusion you can draw is that we just do not have a plan at all, you don't chase Dybala (when he wasn't even needed) during the most important phase of the transfer window, and just walk away, and then claim we alright in that position anyway, so nothing to worry about, why the hell chase him then?

And do this whilst clearly not doing anything else (one transfer at a time), when we are absolutely desperate in midfield, now we're feigning interest in Erikson, just so we can pretend we have 'tried'.

I'm sure the next line will be that SSN James Cooper repeating about how 'relaxed' we are about the 'situation', well lets see how far we get with this midfield, it's going to kill us all season long.
Feckin hell this place and our supporters these days are completely unbearable. I'm actually starting to genuinely despise our supporters with a passion, I would if it wasn't for a small group of sensible supporters I thankfully know.

Are you suggesting we should of signed him after he was making unrealistic demands? I mean hasn't the common complaint in recent years been we need to stop signing mercenaries? But when we do stop doing that, you get this BS!

Its not rocket science, Ole and the board wanted to sign Dybala and discussed signing him. When his demands became completely unrealistic we backed out. It's not anything weird or suggests there's no plan at all, in fact it's concrete evidence that finally there is actually a fecking plan but we've still got supporters spinning negative narratives to hate on the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why would you even want him at the club still he’s been conducting himself in a very childish manner since he wanted out. The guy has cut ties with the club. He’s not even training with the club at this point he’s training at anderlecht.

Defensively we’re good but a couple of injuries and we’re back to young and Jones\rojo\smalling

If Pogba gets injured then what? our midfield is relegation standard then.

What if rashford and martial get injuries? We’ve absolutely no depth in attack whatsoever. Especially if Lukaku goes which he should do. Our youth are good but it’s a lot of pressure for them if they get flung in.
It's obvious - we get no injuries, then we're fine :eek:

Infra-red

Only reliable goal scorer at the club. I don't really care if he's sold, as I don't have much expectation for the season ahead, but if keeping in the top 6 is our primary aim, it makes more sense to have him around. Personally, I'd happily sacrifice top 6 if it meant we played some entertaining football for a change.

Keefy18

No, but losing Hererra and probably lukaku did. New signings didn't occur in a vacuum people!
McTominay was performing better from Feb - May than Ander had at all in the previous 18 months at least.

Far more confident having him in there than that Ander.

I genuinely don't see why folks are bothered about losing Rom, he's not suitable for Ole's game plan. Why keep him? It makes zero sense.

C'est Moi Cantona

Feckin hell this place and our supporters these days are completely unbearable. I'm actually starting to genuinely despise our supporters with a passion, I would if it wasn't for a small group of sensible supporters I thankfully know.

Are you suggesting we should of signed him after he was making unrealistic demands? I mean hasn't the common complaint in recent years been we need to stop signing mercenaries? But when we do stop doing that, you get this BS!

Its not rocket science, Ole and the board wanted to sign Dybala and discussed signing him. When his demands became completely unrealistic we backed out. It's not anything weird or suggests there's no plan at all, in fact it's concrete evidence that finally there is actually a fecking plan but we've still got supporters spinning negative narratives to hate on the club.
No, once again you've got the wrong end of the stick, and once again you come across as a total arse, why not just stop parking yourself in this tread if it winds you up so much? You love it, and you know it.

What I am suggesting is we should not have allowed ourselves to get dragged into something like this so late in the window, when it is crystal clear that we can only work on one deal at time, he was never needed, or certainly not over a midfielder anyway, and I'm also suggesting not to take United fans for idiots, you don't go from almost signing two forwards, to then claim they were never needed anyway, because Ole is so 'impressed with the youth.'

If we had a plan (or the skill in the market) , we'd have signed Maguire 6 weeks ago, got the midfield replacements we need in long ago, have sold a few players taking up the wage bill, and only then have allowed ourselves to divulge ourselves in a futile attempt to sign a player that was never likely to want join, and was never really needed.

Keefy18

No, once again you've got the wrong end of the stick, and once again you come across as a total arse, why not just stop parking yourself in this tread if it winds you up so much? You love it, and you know it.

What I am suggesting is we should not have allowed ourselves to get dragged into something like this so late in the window, when it is crystal clear that we can only work on one deal at time, he was never needed, or certainly not over a midfielder anyway, and I'm also suggesting not to take United fans for idiots, you don't go from almost signing two forwards, to then claim they were never needed anyway, because Ole is so 'impressed with the youth.'

If we had a plan (or the skill in the market) , we'd have signed Maguire 6 weeks ago, got the midfield replacements we need in long ago, have sold a few players taking up the wage bill, and only then have allowed ourselves to divulge ourselves in a futile attempt to sign a player that was never likely to want join, and was never really needed.
Far from "a total arse", I'm the one being positive and not slating the club for every single last little thing possible and creating narratives that don't exist like the vast majority.

We didn't get dragged into anything, we tried to sign a quality player. If we didn't even attempt to sign him, you and the rest would also lose the plot and say Ed is to blame for not even trying to sign him. Every, single, which, way... the club is always at fault and that's what makes a very large section of our supporters unbearable and at this point I can fully understand why we are utterly despised by our rivals.

Again creating a narrative that doesn't exist over the Maguire transfer.

Why are you ignoring the fact Leicester were dicks about the whole transfer and purposefully dragged it out? Why ignore the fact that only a few days ago Maguire had to essentially strike and refuse to report to training to force the transfer?

How in the feck is any of that the fault of Ed's, Ole's or anyone at United?

Every single sentiment you've posted screams instant gratification and you very much think this is akin to FIFA ultimate team and click a few buttons and all your wee problems vanish.

Do you not for a second consider how insane the market has gone?

We've easily had the best transfer window in the Premier league by some distance but still we've an army of spoiled brats demanding.

Lynty

Far from "a total arse", I'm the one being positive and not slating the club for every single last little thing possible and creating narratives that don't exist like the vast majority.

We didn't get dragged into anything, we tried to sign a quality player. If we didn't even attempt to sign him, you and the rest would also lose the plot and say Ed is to blame for not even trying to sign him. Every, single, which, way... the club is always at fault and that's what makes a very large section of our supporters unbearable and at this point I can fully understand why we are utterly despised by our rivals.

Why are you ignoring the fact Leicester were dicks about the whole transfer and purposefully dragged it out? Why ignore the fact that only a few days ago Maguire had to essentially strike and refuse to report to training to force the transfer?

Every single sentiment you've posted screams instant gratification and you very much think this is akin to FIFA ultimate team and click a few buttons and all your wee problems vanish.

We've easily had the best transfer window in the Premier league by some distance but still we've an army of spoiled brats demanding.
This window has really opened my eyes to how clueless and entitled some United fans are. Its sickening to be honest.

No wonder others fans hate our fan base.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's simple, I do not believe Ed has the credentials or ability to be our 'transfer man', and once he is falling short, we need a midfielder, and we need to sell players, it is indisputable, and it has to be on Ed or the Glazers, take your pick. It' not like they are going to patient with Ole when it all unravels, so there is no time here.

I do not believe for one second Leicester were been 'dicks' they probably just asked for £80 million all along, Ed tried to be clever, but ended up paying it, there is no proof Maguire forced anything, or Leicester were 'been dicks', so now who is 'creating a narrative that doesn't exist'.

You are not been positive, you are a kid who sticks his fingers in his ears and goes lalala to block out something he doesn't want to hear, for motives only you know.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This window has really opened my eyes to how clueless and entitled some United fans are. Its sickening to be honest.

No wonder others fans hate our fan base.
There's nothing "entitled" about expecting competent leadership and an ability to compete given the massive resources at our disposal. Were Liverpool fans clueless and entitled when they wanted Hicks and Gillett out of their club?

Keefy18

It's simple, I do not believe Ed has the credentials or ability to be our 'transfer man', and once he is falling short, we need a midfielder, and we need to sell players, it is indisputable, and it has to be on Ed or the Glazers, take your pick. It' not like they are going to patient with Ole when it all unravels, so there is no time here.

I do not believe for one second Leicester were been 'dicks' they probably just asked for £80 million all along, Ed tried to be clever, but ended up paying it, there is no proof Maguire forced anything, or Leicester were 'been dicks', so now who is 'creating a narrative that doesn't exist'.

You are not been positive, you are a kid who sticks his fingers in his ears and goes lalala to block out something he doesn't want to hear, for motives only you know.
So basically, zone in on the one area that means you can be negative and slate the club over? With support like that, who needs rivals.

Of course you don't want to believe it cause it doesn't suit your agenda of hatred. It's absolutely clear to see Leicester refused to play ball and dragged the transfer out, there have been multiple stories recently that Maguire was extremely unhappy at how their board were handling the transfer.

Seriously why are you ignoring the fact he refused to train? It's glaringly obviously why, again it doesn't suit your agenda. If you admit they were the ones dragging the transfer out it doesn't allow you to slate the club you profess to support.

God, they irony I'm being called a child from the one having a temper tantrum cause he didn't get every single demand met.

Definition of a spoiled brat?

"Children who use their parents' weaknesses in order to get material goods. These are the kids who expect their parents to buy them an awesome car for their 16th birthday, and another car when they crash that one. These children are truly ridiculous and give kids everywhere a bad name."

Don't take it personal, your just one of many that are in our fan base now sadly.

el3mel

So it was the fans problem after all. The club is in a great state, we have a great team, contend for big titles regularly and winning loads of trophies. Woodward is showing a great vision on how to manage a sports club. It's just us -fans- who are responsible for the club finishing 4 times out of Woodward 6 seasons as a CEO outside top 4. We're spoiled fan base for asking for the club to be better. I get it all now.

C'est Moi Cantona

So basically, zone in on the one area that means you can be negative and slate the club over? With support like that, who needs rivals.

Of course you don't want to believe it cause it doesn't suit your agenda of hatred. It's absolutely clear to see Leicester refused to play ball and dragged the transfer out, there have been multiple stories recently that Maguire was extremely unhappy at how their board were handling the transfer.

Seriously why are you ignoring the fact he refused to train? It's glaringly obviously why, again it doesn't suit your agenda. If you admit they were the ones dragging the transfer out it doesn't allow you to slate the club you profess to support.

God, they irony I'm being called a child from the one having a temper tantrum cause he didn't get every single demand met.

Definition of a spoiled brat?

"Children who use their parents' weaknesses in order to get material goods. These are the kids who expect their parents to buy them an awesome car for their 16th birthday, and another car when they crash that one. These children are truly ridiculous and give kids everywhere a bad name."

Don't take it personal, your just one of many that are in our fan base now sadly.
I've obviously hit a nerve, so let's leave it there.

marktan

Funniest thing is giving Mourinho a large contract, then not signing Maguire as requested (or a top RB), sacking Mourinho to the tune of £20m+, and then signing Maguire and a RB the summer after.

Ed Woodward. Tactical genius.

I'm not going to slate him too much because he does spend, but when it comes to footballing decisions he's waay out of his depth. Needs to get some footballing people in below him, like Tixi Berenxtein or whatever's role is at City.

el3mel

Funniest thing is giving Mourinho a large contract, then not signing Maguire as requested (or a top RB), sacking Mourinho to the tune of £20m+, and then signing Maguire and a RB the summer after.

Ed Woodward. Tactical genius.

I'm not going to slate him too much because he does spend, but when it comes to footballing decisions he's waay out of his depth. Needs to get some footballing people in below him, like Tixi Berenxtein or whatever's role is at City.
Not to mention those who are defending Woodward were the ones praising him for not getting Maguire last season and saying "Thank feck Woodward didn't listen to Maguire and brought Harry fecking Maguire for 70m" but now also praising him for paying 80m for the same player in the last few days of the window, but apparently we who criticize him are the ones who are "entitles" and "spoiled".

Lynty

There's nothing "entitled" about expecting competent leadership and an ability to compete given the massive resources at our disposal. Were Liverpool fans clueless and entitled when they wanted Hicks and Gillett out of their club?
Eds been poor over the time in charge. He does need changing.

But this transfer window has been successful. Addressing two problem areas with clear upgrades. Asking for more is just unrealistic. The club can't spend £200m+ this year without Champions league football.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He knew the price for Maguire over 2 months ago. Didn't want to be seen paying 80m while still working the market. Which would be fair enough had we pulled off some deals in the meantime, but to no avail and now we're presumably back to "what's-in-the-box" approach in the last 3 days.

As much as I'm happy with having two good additions in defense, those deals weren't overly complicated. Both players wanted to join, both players had a price (granted, some negotiating was needed for AWB) and were already known quantities.

The Dybala goose chase landed in his lap. But what were we planning before then - just a week ago - when we were (and still are) trying to shift Lukaku for 70m+ ? Were we not looking at specific targets. A forward? Midfielders? A right winger?

Iron Stove

Why do we never seem to have any semblance of a plan B.
Identify position to improve > bid for player in said position > doesn't want to come > ah well feck it!

DamoK

The pitchforks will be out for him if we have another miserable season.
Seeing as we didn't fix our midfield and get rid of more deadwood we'll be lucky to scrape top four which for me is still a miserable season.

JoaquinJoaquin

Why do we never seem to have any semblance of a plan B.
Identify position to improve > bid for player in said position > doesn't want to come > ah well feck it!
I honestly believe alot of it is delay tactics. Take for example this Dybala talk and leaving the Maguire announcement that extra couple of days, it basically gasses the fans up and keeps them fixated on something rather than venting towards to the club and the Glazers.

oz insomniac

Does this sound familiar, Utd in a late move to sign Ericsson whilst admitting it will be difficult to pull off ahead of the deadline.

Welcome to Woody world, where spin is as important as reality. Keep the punters believing it's time that worked against strengthening the team, not poor planning and basic incompetence when compared to our rivals. The frustration of being a Man Utd supporter in the Ed Woodward reign just eats away .

romufc

We are left frustrated every transfer window. This time, we seem to have got 3 signings that most fans like. But not enough, I think if we can bolster our CM even with Longstaff, we could have a very good season.

Fooza

Does this sound familiar, Utd in a late move to sign Ericsson whilst admitting it will be difficult to pull off ahead of the deadline.

Welcome to Woody world, where spin is as important as reality. Keep the punters believing it's time that worked against strengthening the team, not poor planning and basic incompetence when compared to our rivals. The frustration of being a Man Utd supporter in the Ed Woodward reign just eats away .
Woody can do things no one can, he can frustrate the living daylights out of everyone. Go woody go, shine

Denis' cuff

He’ll get a fee for Lukaku and possibly somebody else to offset outgoings. Max 60m net spend, which is their (ew and the owners) priority. Good luck Ole, although I reckon we’ll achieve what has now become a respectable top six.

Post Glazer and future United.

Lentwood

I am amongst Woodward's biggest critics but this window is about as good as it could likely have been given the financial restrictions imposed by the Glazer ownership.

We've seriously improved two positions of weakness in our XI by spending big money on players who *should* be bankers

Obviously we HAVEN'T fixed our issues in midfield, on the wing or up top....however, the reality is we're a club ran as a for-profit and therefore we just are not going to spend £500m to fix eight positions in one summer

I personally would much rather us make two big, proper signings every window as opposed to trying to fix everything in one and ending up with a load of sh**e

At least that way in two/three seasons we should be back competing

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@Lentwood
The problem with that strategy is our better players will feel alienated by having to wait 2 years for a healthy balanced squad capable of competing. And our outgoings are still a big issue.

For a good team, 2 good additions a summer is very sensible. But we’re some way off that still.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Wolverhampton, Everton rival watch threads soon?
There's a distinct possibility that Wolves and Leicester could be very close to us this year. Saying that, we have to remember that we have actually improved our defence immeasurably, which was a huge problem last season; we conceded more goals than Newcastle for god sake.

While our attack wasn't brilliant, we scored more goals than Chelsea (who finished 3rd) and only two less than Spurs. It's a worry that we haven't improved our midfield but there are reasons to be optimistic. We're obviously not going to challenge for the title, but i think we'll finish in the top four.

Lentwood

@Lentwood
The problem with that strategy is our better players will feel alienated by having to wait 2 years for a healthy balanced squad capable of competing. And our outgoings are still a big issue.

For a good team, 2 good additions a summer is very sensible. But we’re some way off that still.
I see your point but who exactly are our 'better' players? I can only think of De Gea, who has just signed a new contract, and Pogba.

What I was getting at is that I would rather we spent £50m on a 'banker' RB and £80m on a 'banker' CB than the reams of crap we bought in under LvG (mainly) and the short-term fixes we targeted under Jose

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I see your point but who exactly are our 'better' players? I can only think of De Gea, who has just signed a new contract, and Pogba.

What I was getting at is that I would rather we spent £50m on a 'banker' RB and £80m on a 'banker' CB than the reams of crap we bought in under LvG (mainly) and the short-term fixes we targeted under Jose
Yeah, no argument there. Fully agree. Just think we had a bigger challenge this summer to make sure we’re healthy. I.e. more positions to fix. And outgoings and proper planning could help addressing that. Also, it’s hard to convince better players to join when the aim is to compete in 1-2 years.

The Kag

Eds been poor over the time in charge. He does need changing.

But this transfer window has been successful. Addressing two problem areas with clear upgrades. Asking for more is just unrealistic. The club can't spend £200m+ this year without Champions league football.
We've filled two holes on a ship that's leaking water through several others. I wager it's been partially successful. Asking for more is unrealistic? I'll rehash what I said in a previous post.

If we sell Lukaku without bringing in any other additions, we'll have spent around £70m net this summer. How much did we spend in January? Zilch, but that's reasonable as not a lot of business is conducted during the middle of the season. How about last summer? I believe it was around £55m net spend. That comes to a grand total of £125m net spend over the course of three transfer windows. Given our situation and the club's stature, that's a paltry amount. Again, this is assuming Lukaku is off and no one else comes in, but it is a very plausible scenario.

Lynty

We've filled two holes on a ship that's leaking water through several others. I wager it's been partially successful. Asking for more is unrealistic? I'll rehash what I said in a previous post.

If we sell Lukaku without bringing in any other additions, we'll have spent around £70m net this summer. How much did we spend in January? Zilch, but that's reasonable as not a lot of business is conducted during the middle of the season. How about last summer? I believe it was around £55m net spend. That comes to a grand total of £125m net spend over the course of three transfer windows. Given our situation and the club's stature, that's a paltry amount. Again, this is assuming Lukaku is off and no one else comes in, but it is a very plausible scenario.
I’m taking this window in isolation. I think last summer there was genuine factors to why we wouldn’t want to give Jose the money for his targets.

But your correct, Ed needs to step aside and allow a DoF to take over, that’s not my argument.

But in Ole’s first summer in charge (disregarding all previous seasons), we have made good signings and significantly improved the starting 11.

We aren’t getting our full asking price for Lukaku, Inter can’t pay it, Juve obviously can’t either and are trying to make a swap deal. Our other targets are cheapish midfielders in Longstaff, MSavic and a hopeful cut price on Erikson.

Which would bring our spending to approx £100m, which is a respectable amount to spend in a window by a team with no CL and an unproven manager.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
For the first time in a long time i've felt proud of our transfer strategy, we've not attempted to sign every name that seems available, we've vetoed on Neymar because his wage packet is ludicrous, and on Dybala also because these players won't be coming to United for the right reasons.

Pre Moyes, we has respect and players wanted to join us because of our history and stature, we have not had that over the past couple of seasons and I believe the only way to change that is success, and also by putting the ball in our court; United will only sign the players we want at the club, and not the other way around, it is a privilege to play at Old Trafford, and too many players have earned a cheque here over the past seasons not thankful for the opportunity.

Player/agent power needs to be eradicated and I feel we are making a step forward in the right direction.