Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Eddy_JukeZ

For the first time in a long time i've felt proud of our transfer strategy, we've not attempted to sign every name that seems available, we've vetoed on Neymar because his wage packet is ludicrous, and on Dybala also because these players won't be coming to United for the right reasons.

Pre Moyes, we has respect and players wanted to join us because of our history and stature, we have not had that over the past couple of seasons and I believe the only way to change that is success, and also by putting the ball in our court; United will only sign the players we want at the club, and not the other way around, it is a privilege to play at Old Trafford, and too many players have earned a cheque here over the past seasons not thankful for the opportunity.

Player/agent power needs to be eradicated and I feel we are making a step forward in the right direction.
"Vetoed on Neymar"

As if Neymar would ever join us :lol:

Kag

In the space of about four days he’s managed to ‘brief’ his way into looking like a giant wanker.

The club gives the impression that it’s just stumbling about attempting to buy players from top clubs that aren’t even interested in joining. With less than 48 hours left of the window.

Yeah, for a change, letting rip on Woodward re. transfers will be completely justified.

romufc

I think it is time that the club realised Ed Woodward is not competent to carry out his role in a footballing capacity.

His summer has been good in terms of replacing players that should have come in a long time ago. RB, CB, Winger. So these were signings that have been essential for like 3 windows. Ed has been poor, and there is a gaping hole in the CM position with question marks over Pogba. This is embarrassing for Manutd.

MadMike

If we recoup the Maguire fee (or 9/10s of it) in the sale of Lukaku and don’t sign anyone else then our net spend would be Wan-Bissaka and Dan James. We’re talking 70-75mil net for a team that finished 6th and needs to get back into the top 4. Arsenal have spent more ffs.

izec

Looking to buy Dybala, then Eriksen...is Pogba off or why do we chase big name and marketing players? There are so many attainable players, but we go for the ones who dont want to join.

Raw

Look at what Arsenal are doing when they appointed a new technical director. Even with limited funds they're still attaining solid players that will improve them.

Woodward needs to feck right off from footballing decisions. All that gossip about getting a new technical director and feck all was done about it. I really hope our fans don't ease off him because he got us a few good signings this summer, he's still an incompetent worm that loves giving deadwood new contracts.

Skills

Snitch
Why would you even want him at the club still he’s been conducting himself in a very childish manner since he wanted out. The guy has cut ties with the club. He’s not even training with the club at this point he’s training at anderlecht.

Defensively we’re good but a couple of injuries and we’re back to young and Jones\rojo\smalling

If Pogba gets injured then what? our midfield is relegation standard then.

What if rashford and martial get injuries? We’ve absolutely no depth in attack whatsoever. Especially if Lukaku goes which he should do.
Our youth are good but it’s a lot of pressure for them if they get flung in.
Christ.

What if Van Djik gets injured for Liverpool? What if both Salah and Mane get injured?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
All will be fine when Ole gets sacked and we leak reports of finally doing things right and looking for a DOF . Just need to throw this season and wait a while . It's beyond embarrassing that this guy still has the job despite repeated failure. Again forget signing players , this is the guy who negotiates contracts and literally every single player at the club is on a ridiculous contract . For 3/4 years we have been trying to get rid of Darmian and we are unable to because no one wants that contract. I understand making mistakes but how does he keep getting away with making the same mistakes again and again year after year . Why did Ashley young and Mata get new contracts ? Spare me the experience is needed rubbish , this same experience has got us nothing recently. I am not even fussed about signings but at least start the clean-up. We will be in exactly this position next summer . Every pundit I hear is mocking united for the shocking way in which the club is run and the season hasn't even started yet.

Rant over

Eddy_JukeZ

I think it is time that the club realised Ed Woodward is not competent to carry out his role in a footballing capacity.

His summer has been good in terms of replacing players that should have come in a long time ago. RB, CB, Winger. So these were signings that have been essential for like 3 windows. Ed has been poor, and there is a gaping hole in the CM position with question marks over Pogba. This is embarrassing for Manutd.
The Glazers will never demote/fire him and Woodward will never cease power.

There is no hope. The only hope is the Glazers selling and even that is a tiny hope.

We won't amount to anything with these viruses at the club employing a virus himself in Woodward.

He has been an embarrassment.

Extensions handed to players in hopes of selling them for a fee instead of just letting them leave. Going for multiple targets with a week to go to appease the fans when there's no real substance there.

If we go through another rough season, the fans better rip him at Old Trafford. This is becoming a joke.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We've had months to sort out our midfield. Herrera left in April and Felling left in January. This guy is a joke. I am fuming right here.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I refuse to believe they couldn't identify a single midfielder out there who would improve us. I'm not talking Verrati here, or even Ndombele. Just anyone. Even if that player was Sean Longstaff, just pay the money if we want him. I don't get why we're so tight for a club who badly needed to rebuild this summer.

Infra-red

I suppose this summer's failure can't come as a surprise to anyone. We all knew Woodward was woefully incompetent, which is why we were all desperate for a Director of Football to be in place in time to stop Ed ruining everything again. Sadly wasn't to be.

Thisistheone

Man alive he's so incompetent. The man who calls himself our DoF.

Failed Dybala & Eriksen pursuits with days left of the summer window. Not exactly the sign of a well thought out plan.

Months and months to plan replacements for Fellaini & Herrera. Plus Darmian is still at the club. It's really unbelievable.

red4ever 79

Wow just wow. We really will not sign a midfielder to replace the two who have left, and it looks like our striker is going to leave without a replacement. Unacceptable Ed

romufc

The Glazers will never demote/fire him and Woodward will never cease power.

There is no hope. The only hope is the Glazers selling and even that is a tiny hope.

We won't amount to anything with these viruses at the club employing a virus himself in Woodward.

He has been an embarrassment.

Extensions handed to players in hopes of selling them for a fee instead of just letting them leave. Going for multiple targets with a week to go to appease the fans when there's no real substance there.

If we go through another rough season, the fans better rip him at Old Trafford. This is becoming a joke.

I agree he will never get demoted and Glazers will never sell up.

But I do agree that that OT with fans ripping him is the best way to put pressure on Woodward. This time if the team fails, the fans will not be calling for the manager's head. Ole has alot more credibility with the fans than Ed Woodward ever will. It was in his own interest to give Ole 4/5 new players. He has failed to deliver in my opinion. He might have made a few signings, but he has done feck all to get rid of anyone.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Man needs to feck off and quick — pudge faced twat bastard.

JoaquinJoaquin

We've had months to sort out our midfield. Herrera left in April and Felling left in January. This guy is a joke. I am fuming right here.
Me too. Can't look forward to this season, and I don't care if that makes me 'entitled' or whatever rubbish T0p Reds want to try and put at me.

Eddy_JukeZ

I agree he will never get demoted and Glazers will never sell up.

But I do agree that that OT with fans ripping him is the best way to put pressure on Woodward. This time if the team fails, the fans will not be calling for the manager's head. Ole has alot more credibility with the fans than Ed Woodward ever will. It was in his own interest to give Ole 4/5 new players. He has failed to deliver in my opinion. He might have made a few signings, but he has done feck all to get rid of anyone.
It's the only possible way to potentially incite change.

The fans at OT need to be more vocal if we struggle again.

Eddy_JukeZ

Man alive he's so incompetent. The man who calls himself our DoF.

Failed Dybala & Eriksen pursuits with days left of the summer window. Not exactly the sign of a well thought out plan.

Months and months to plan replacements for Fellaini & Herrera. Plus Darmian is still at the club. It's really unbelievable.
I'd love to actually know our plan.

Surely we've known for months that Lukaku wants out + he's not in our plans.

We've known for months that Herrera was off.

It just all reeks of incompetence and another scatter-gun approach.

Thisistheone

Yeah and Lukaku of course. We've had ample time to find a replacement for him and now he's AWOL and the window closes tomorrow.

What makes it even worse is we've had it easy this summer.

Man City and Liverpool are so strong after 98 and 97 point seasons they didn't need to go into the market.
Chelsea have a transfer ban.
Arsenal have a tiny budget compared to us & only recently got a DoF in Edu.
Spurs are Spurs.
And no World Cup or Euros.

Next summer Chelsea will be back, Liverpool will be back, City might go big again with Silva leaving and Aguero coming towards the end. Arsenal's DoF will have had a full year to plan their targets for summer 2020. Spurs will have had a full season in their new stadium.

Next summer will be tougher.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
In the space of about four days he’s managed to ‘brief’ his way into looking like a giant wanker.

The club gives the impression that it’s just stumbling about attempting to buy players from top clubs that aren’t even interested in joining. With less than 48 hours left of the window.

Yeah, for a change, letting rip on Woodward re. transfers will be completely justified.
He's a total wanker and perhaps the biggest issue at our club but why is no one question as to why Ole didn't push for a new CF? This Dybala thing fell into our lap, we were never linked with any CF entire summer (save for few obscure links with Ben Yedder) even though it's been evident that Lukaku wants to leave. In midfield we've only ever been linked with Longstaff who's a DM when we've been desperately crying for creativity. I seriously don't understand what sort of planning they are doing at the club.

I'm as puzzled as you are, how can anyone go through or squad and say we have enough creativity and goals in our side? There's no planning of any semblance of foundation/structure at the club. Very depressing.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Look at what Arsenal are doing when they appointed a new technical director. Even with limited funds they're still attaining solid players that will improve them.

Woodward needs to feck right off from footballing decisions. All that gossip about getting a new technical director and feck all was done about it. I really hope our fans don't ease off him because he got us a few good signings this summer, he's still an incompetent worm that loves giving deadwood new contracts.
I can see Jose on Friday morning; smiling, feeling almost smug with that 'I told you so grin' on his fecking face.

TehRed

The last couple of days have been a real killer for the muppets.

No Fernandes, no Eriksen, no Dybala and presumably no Lukaku out and no Mandzukic in either.

Looking like there's not gonna be any more moves for us, no mad dash before the window closes. We still really need a midfielder but, hey ho, looks like we're getting more Matic and Mata.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
All will be fine when Ole gets sacked and we leak reports of finally doing things right and looking for a DOF . Just need to throw this season and wait a while . It's beyond embarrassing that this guy still has the job despite repeated failure. Again forget signing players , this is the guy who negotiates contracts and literally every single player at the club is on a ridiculous contract . For 3/4 years we have been trying to get rid of Darmian and we are unable to because no one wants that contract. I understand making mistakes but how does he keep getting away with making the same mistakes again and again year after year . Why did Ashley young and Mata get new contracts ? Spare me the experience is needed rubbish , this same experience has got us nothing recently. I am not even fussed about signings but at least start the clean-up. We will be in exactly this position next summer . Every pundit I hear is mocking united for the shocking way in which the club is run and the season hasn't even started yet.

Rant over
Agree with all of this.

As for bolded part, you can count Jones and Rojo new contracts as well. That big experience they have made United average PL team and far behind leading pack, but instead of changing that let's make them stay for a few more years.

IMO Ole has to take some blame also. When he first came it was all about surviving of the fittest and that, yet somehow Matić and Mata still get playing time although they both walk more than they run on the pitch. Also don't think Woodward would give new contracts before consulting manager since it's the manager who has to use these players. Ole could've said to him they aren't good enough so move them at any cost, but he also seems more like yes man than someone who'll stood up for himself so he's happy to use that same players who got us nowhere as long as he's manager (which won't last long I'm afraid).

SammyUnited_83

The manager / scouts MUST be able to find midfielders that are better than Lingard and Mata, surely?

I can't believe how late we have left it yet again.

Snafu17

Briefing you'll sign five players at the beginning of the window, only to then fail to get most of the ones mentioned, generally makes you look like a giant tit.

Which is the central theme throughout he's whole time as a CEO. He manages to always look like a titt
. There's never any clear way to know how much of it is actually his fault, but through briefings, weird transfers, weird transfer failings and generally lack of any substantial success he manages to look like a massive tit.

Again, nobody really knows how much of feck up he is or isn't, but he's clearly the face of all this failure.

Last edited:

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why are you so cruel to us footballing gods? End this treacherous reign we can’t take it anymore.

Johan07

Briefing you'll sign five players at the beginning of the window, only to then fail to get most of the ones mentioned, generally makes you look like a giant titt.

Which is the central theme throughout he's whole time as a CEO. He manages to always look like a titt. There's never any clear way to know how much of it is actually his fault, but through briefings, weird transfers, weird transfer failings and generally lack of any substantial success he manages to look like a massive titt.

Again, nobody really knows how much of feck up he is or isn't, but he's clearly the face of all this failure.
It would if such a "briefing" actually took place. Of course it did not, and it makes you look like a even bigger tit by stating that it did.

Snafu17

It would if such a "briefing" actually took place. Of course it did not, and it makes you look like a even bigger tit by stating that it did.
Didn't it though? Telegraph, Guardian and the BBC all running the exact same story at the same time. How would you label that then? A simultaneous nirvana?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I would rather if he just shut the feck up and go on with what we have. That would look like we have some kind of patient build-up plan than looking like what it most likely is. Faffing around with no clear strategy. He strengthened the defence, but our midfield and attack look weaker than last season. Not to mention he paid for a CB which should have been at the club 1 year ago which really speeds up the whole process.

Thank feck it is over tomorrow, if nothing, just for his briefings. Did the same last season with Varane shit, now he will probably replace him with Mbappe after the window is closed. DoF shit isn't even worth mentioning anymore.

Johan07

Didn't it though? Telegraph, Guardian and the BBC all running the exact same story. How would you label that then?
What story? Which football club on the planet briefs the press on the exact number of signings that they will make during the a summer window? What would even be the purpose of it? It defies logic. You just made that up, and its far too much of that crap going on in threads like this.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I really don't see the need to reject Inter's bids for Lukaku. Anything about 60m seems like a fair price seeing how he is not wanted at the club.

If playing hardball over Lukaku is done out of spite for how they rejected our Perisic bids, it's rather daft. They wanted to keep Perisic. We don't seem to want to keep Lukaku.

Johan07

I would rather if he just shut the feck up and go on with what we have. That would look like we have some kind of patient build-up plan than looking like what it most likely is. Faffing around with no clear strategy. He strengthened the defence, but our midfield and attack look weaker than last season. Not to mention he paid for a CB which should have been at the club 1 year ago which really speeds up the whole process.

Thank feck it is over tomorrow, if nothing, just for his briefings. Did the same last season with Varane shit, now he will probably replace him with Mbappe after the window is closed. DoF shit isn't even worth mentioning anymore.
Woodward does not do briefings. If anything I would like him to be more open towards the fans than he is now. The Varane thing is an urban legend/myth that is just not true. But now when its taken root it will just not go away.