Ed Woodward - your views on him now part 2?

How do you believe Woodward is performing as CEO of Manchester United?

• Total voters

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
With our injury record over the past few years and especially given the players that were missing, I would've prepared for anything.
Also, van Gaal said he wanted to see the players already in the squad first so that kinda ruled out signing anyone up to the Valencia game. I would have thought van Gaal was unlikely to push for a signing just because the first game was coming up.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I don't really remember, but I doubt it was anything like losing both fullbacks, a starting CM and a world class striker though. Having to start with Lingard and Blackett in defence on the first day of the season is a tad unlucky.
I remember we had to start one year with Frazier Campbell up front on his own....
I also remember having to play a half fit Vidic and a half fit Rooney against Everton and Carrick at CB because Rio was injured and Kagawa, RVP and a few others were not fit

iBoss

i-ttack the space
I remember we had to start one year with Frazier Campbell up front on his own....
I also remember having to play a half fit Vidic and a half fit Rooney against Everton and Carrick at CB because Rio was injured and Kagawa, RVP and a few others were not fit
The Everton game? We lost that as well. Fair enough, that game is a lot more difficult but we still went on to win the title. We had finished our spending by then anyway, hadn't we?

.Rossi

The Everton game? We lost that as well. Fair enough, that game is a lot more difficult but we still went on to win the title. We had finished our spending by then anyway, hadn't we?
Indeed....We rarely went this far into the market, under Fergie, without having our business done....

Except for when we dealt with Levy :rolleyes:
Or, the Tevez deal....Which was clearly, very complicated

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Indeed....We rarely went this far into the market, under Fergie, without having our business done....

Except for when we dealt with Levy :rolleyes:
Or, the Tevez deal....Which was clearly, very complicated
Yep, but to be fair, Fergie didn't have to evaluate the squad before making moves. I wouldn't say this window has been a disaster like some make it out to be. If we hadn't signed Shaw and Herrera, then yeah. We have signed two first team players, will sign another in the coming days (Rojo) and will probably sign another two (one CM at least) just before or just after the Sunderland game. The current squad should beat Sunderland regardless of getting in a new CM or not. If they fail to do that, then it is the managers and the players fault, not Woodward's.

NoPace

Moyes?! Leader of men?!

That clown was like Commissioner Gordon....Constantly hoping Batman bailed him out when the tool couldn't solve a case. Which was 99% of the time........How the hell did he stay on as commissioner actually?!?!
Gordon was the only clean man on the police force in early days, and Batman loved him, which definitely helped him get promoted. I'd say Gordon is more like Tiago and Batman is a combination of Mourinho and Simeone.

.Rossi

Gordon was the only clean man on the police force in early days, and Batman loved him, which definitely helped him get promoted. I'd say Gordon is more like Tiago and Batman is a combination of Mourinho and Simeone.
Still a useless shit though!

And a coward to!

Bane's speech at Blackgate was very LVG though..
"AND DO YOU ACCEPT THIS MAN'S RESIGNATION?!?! (Moyes)
"I FREE FROM ALL THE LIES AND ALL THE CORRUPT!!"
"THIS GREAT CLUB....IT WILL ENDURE!"

Rednotdead

The mere fact that we're discussing this means there's a structural problem behind the scenes. Until that's sorted out it will continually manifest itself in the way it is with the current situation.

Getsme

It does not, Woodward himself has said. That the club does not need to win trophies to be a success. get up to date please.
How does it not FFS, if we continue to flop do you think the sponsors will continue to throw money at the Club? Do you think the fan base will continue to grow? Do you think we will make as much money through broadcasting or merchandise? Or how about the value of the Club, will it shrink or grow through lack of trophies? As for saying 'get up to date please' how about you using a bit of common sense, if you have any of course?

Last edited:

Rednotdead

How does it not FFS, if we continue to flop do you think the sponsors will continue to throw money at the Club? Do you think the fan base will continue to grow? And as for saying 'get up to date please' how about you using a bit of common sense, if you have any of course?
Without success sponsorship and general merchandise income may not fall too much but it won't grow as much as it would with success. Also, crucially for the Glazers, that will affect the share price and therefore the overall valuation of the club.

Woodward has said many stupid things in the past couple of months, that statement being one.

::sonny::

Everytime I want to throw some blame at Woodward, I stop and think - Hold on, how can a guy who keeps negotiating the absolute best deals for us from asponsorship viewpoint struggle with the seemingly simpler task of signing players?
Different jobs, different interlocutors

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As has been pointed out many times before, the possibility of the Glazers being content with us "doing an Arsenal", i.e. be there or thereabouts with the occasional pseudo-challenge for the title - has always been more or less plausible. To me, at least, it has. You can make good money as an owner that way. But things have changed in the last few seasons. Doing an Arsenal isn't possible anymore - not really. It takes plenty of commitment - and investment - just to finish in the top four at the moment.

Getsme

Without success sponsorship and general merchandise income may not fall too much but it won't grow as much as it would with success. Also, crucially for the Glazers, that will affect the share price and therefore the overall valuation of the club.

Woodward has said many stupid things in the past couple of months, that statement being one.
Maybe not straight away, however, our current sponsors are only giving the Club large deals due to the continued growth of the Club and our very large fan base, having a winning team keeps everyone happy. Without success on the pitch it's near impossible to be successful off it, no matter who you are.

Rednotdead

Maybe not straight away, however, our current sponsors are only giving the Club large deals due to the continued growth of the Club and our very large fan base, having a winning team keeps everyone happy. Without success on the pitch it's near impossible to be successful off it, no matter who you are.
Correct. Some people seem to think sponsors give us money just because we're Manchester United. They don't. They give us money because of the exposure they get worldwide by being associated with a successful brand. If we stop being successful they won't be so keen to be associated with us.

Jev

No matter what deals he manages to scrape over the line by overpaying in the last few desperate days with LVG screaming in his ear to get his act together, everything points to him being clueless at transfer dealings. He's looked like an amateur too many times for it to be a coincidence, and there's too much smoke coming from the journalists' sources for there to be no fire.

Let him handle the commercial side of business and then I don't care whether we get a new CEO or a DOF. This guy failed miserably last summer and has once again failed to land top targets. No matter who we buy eventually, allowing us to start the season with this squad, shorter on quality than the team that finished seventh last season and having only Academy kids as backup for four out of five defensive positions, is failure.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
We really need a DoF as it is quite clear now that Woody is not particularly good when it comes to transfers.

His "watch this space" speech has made him look like a right dork and the fact he has been boasting about buying the very best players and to end up in the situation we are in now so close to the transfer window deadline is simply embarassing.

ravi2

We really need a DoF as it is quite clear now that Woody is not particularly good when it comes to transfers.

His "watch this space" speech has made him look like a right dork and the fact he has been boasting about buying the very best players and to end up in the situation we are in now so close to the transfer window deadline is simply embarassing.

It only shows you nothing has changed since last year since the Fabregas debacle.
#Woodwardout

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just read this:

Transfer stat of the day - of the 92 clubs in the football league, only Exeter have completed fewer transfers than Manchester United this summer. Exeter were under a transfer embargo until four days ago

... that can't be true surely?

Roboc7

In terms of making money, improving the brand he is doing what the Glazers want so there is no way he is going to be removed from his job. It is pretty clear that he is struggling in the transfer market though, he is not a football man, he isn’t as well connected and his negotiating tactics are not working because he inevitably ends up paying a premium price or over the odds. The only sensible conclusion is to appoint a DOF to oversee some of the football related matters and let Woodward get on with other aspects of his job.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Agree on both. First of all, we struggle way too much to sign players and usually overpay, or we dont get most of them at all. Also his speech how we can spend and watch this space was really stupid. He raised expectations and didnt think of all the muppets who didnt get fed for too long

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Just read this:

Transfer stat of the day - of the 92 clubs in the football league, only Exeter have completed fewer transfers than Manchester United this summer. Exeter were under a transfer embargo until four days ago

... that can't be true surely?
Laughable if true. No one would say anything if our squad wouldnt have so many weaknesses but it seems obvious to anyone that we need new players badly

Anderson15

Sick of all this:

"putting a deal together"
"will meet with LVG next week"

Surely its no more than an hours conversation, I don't understand what's going on, why cant we just offer the money!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Sick of all this:

"putting a deal together"
"will meet with LVG next week"

Surely its no more than an hours conversation, I don't understand what's going on, why cant we just offer the money!
The problem is, no one really knows what conducting a transfer is actually like. How hard is it to put a deal togehter? Does financing need to be in place before making a bid?

To me, the closest normal-world thing I can think it's like would be buying a house... (in fact, I imagine it's very similar to that - you deal with an agent/club, and put in offers that are accepted/rejected, then after an accepted offer you sort out the financing on your end to pay for it all) but then, considering I bought a house last week, and negotiation took all of 2 days... so basically, this whole paragraph was pointless.

Anderson15

The problem is, no one really knows what conducting a transfer is actually like. How hard is it to put a deal togehter? Does financing need to be in place before making a bid?

To me, the closest normal-world thing I can think it's like would be buying a house... (in fact, I imagine it's very similar to that - you deal with an agent/club, and put in offers that are accepted/rejected, then after an accepted offer you sort out the financing on your end to pay for it all) but then, considering I bought a house last week, and negotiation took all of 2 days... so basically, this whole paragraph was pointless.
I can see your point, obviously spending £30 million + isn't just as easy as a bank transfer, but when you see other top teams wrapping deals up quickly you start to wonder, I also would of expected us to be in a position to finance deals way before the transfer window, especially after last year failure.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I will still wait until we hear more from either LvG later on or from various reports.

But I refuse to believe that a guy who can for example make Adidas to not only match Nike's already huge offer for us, but to offer much more is that clueless when it comes to negotiating transfers (or was it someone else from the club responsible for the Adidas deal?).
He is a Glazers' man and if they don't provide more money but tell him to let the world know that there's a warchest, then he will do exactly that.

It's not like Gill concluded every transfer we wanted, it was after all under his and SAF's guidance that the midfield was neglected for 5 years, Woodward at least bought a couple of "midfielders" ppl at the club identified for him.
We just don't know enough to blame him too much, he has to take some blame for sure, but how much is down to him noone actually knows.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Such a shame we only got rid of half our dismal double act last season. The sooner this clown is removed from his transfer duties, the better.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
keep woodie for sponsorship deals but get someone else in for transfers cos his record over the last year is hardly inspiring.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He is a Glazers' man and if they don't provide more money but tell him to let the world know that there's a warchest, then he will do exactly that.
Yes.

In all probability he's simply following instructions. And if he doesn't deliver according to expectations, the Glazers will fire him soon enough.

The worrying begins at the thought of him doing precisely as expected. Including this talk of us having money to burn. What purpose does the latter serve? I can understand people getting a bit paranoid over this - because usually that is something you say when you don't intend to burn your money. For a serious negotiator, who is actually working on deals for players, I cannot fathom how revealing your cards to such an extent can be wise.

Then again, where's the sense in boasting like this if you can't deliver? The fans you're presumably trying to appease won't remain calm when the window closes and no top class players have arrived.

So, it's difficult to interpret this talk of his in a way which is favourable to him. Either he's a poor negotiator - or he's blatantly lying to the fans, which will come back to haunt him soon enough. It may all go back to what he's been told to do and say by the owners, so in that sense he may not be a complete pillock (just a lackey) - but that hardly makes much difference from our point of view, as fans. Whether he's an actual pillock or a lackey doesn't really matter.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
We should only go after players at clubs where the pavilion facilities are not adequate.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Somebody last year compared him to E.B. Farnum. That is how I've thought of him since and, the more time goes on, the more accurate it seems.

Fully Fledged

I'll give him time. Four good signings in the last twelve months but we need a few more. A box to box centre mid would be good but I can see LVG wanting to hold out for Strootman in January.