Eden Hazard | "It's time to enjoy life drinking beers"

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
feck me, just realised I put the wrong year's odds in. Here are the odds post-draw for the 2018 WC:

That said, given Germany were already eliminated it's not strictly wrong to say Brazil were favourites at that point...
Damn Germany were favourites? And they went out in the group. Wow

OverratedOpinion

Keep on with the deflecting kid and running away from the points at hand. You're doing great.

Lmfao trust me you don't even want to compare lampards stats to Scholes season by season when Frank's compare to strikers
It really upsets me when you call me a kid. Please stop.

Rooney eats Drogba's dinner.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
It really upsets me when you call me a kid. Please stop.

Rooney eats Drogba's dinner.
Can you blame me. Look at what your responses have devolved into from where you began. The rate you're going I'm expecting incorehent 2 words next.

OverratedOpinion

Can you blame me. Look at what your responses have devolved into from where you began. The rate you're going I'm expecting incorehent 2 words next.
I mean I was happy to basically say that it is fine if you think Drogba is better and that it is great that we both got to watch the player we prefer play for our club, that year and other years. You chose to dissolve it into petty personal insults and so I have chosen to take the piss out of you for the last 10 or so posts. The fact that you are still driving at your insults is a little bizarre.

Also Rooney stole Drogba's parking space once and Drogba did not say anything because he is afraid of the Wazza.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I mean I was happy to basically say that it is fine if you think Drogba is better and that it is great that we both got to watch the player we prefer play for our club, that year and other years. You chose to dissolve it into petty personal insults and so I have chosen to take the piss out of you for the last 10 or so posts. The fact that you are still driving at your insults is a little bizarre.

Also Rooney stole Drogba's parking space once and Drogba did not say anything because he is afraid of the Wazza.
?
Oh now it's a stupid stat when the facts show Drogba set up almost 3 times as many goals as Rooney as well as outscoring him when you were telling me about Rooney all round game a few posts ago.
Why are you talking about his injuries ?
Games played that year in the league
Rooney 32
Drogba 32

Lmfao I'm not arguing who is a better player overall or through their careers you are welcome to say Rooney was and I won't even argue. But that season Didier was superior in every single aspect.
That was my response to that post. No where did I insult you. Stop acting like a victim. Your responses since have rightly been pointed out for what they are off topic deflecting and childish. You're still doing it.

OverratedOpinion

?

That was my response to that post. No where did I insult you. Stop acting like a victim. Your responses since have rightly been pointed out for what they are off topic deflecting and childish. You're still doing it.
I am not a victim. The only victim is auld Didier, every time we went to Stamford Bridge between 06 and 2011 Rooney would savagely stare him in the eyes and make obscene pelvic thrusts to show his dominance. Poor Didier would be so petrified by Wayne's strength of character and macho confidence that he would avert his eyes and quietly weep. Paulo Ferreira once tried to match Rooney's intensity, it did not go well.

Also you called me a kid or something for no reason. Either way I forgive you, I am benevolent like that.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I am not a victim. The only victim is auld Didier, every time we went to Stamford Bridge between 06 and 2011 Rooney would savagely stare him in the eyes and make obscene pelvic thrusts to show his dominance. Poor Didier would be so petrified by Wayne's strength of character and macho confidence that he would avert his eyes and quietly weep. Bosingwa once tried to match Rooney's intensity, it did not go well.

Also you called me a kid or something for no reason. Either way I forgive you, I am benevolent like that.
Clearly I was wrong with these mature responses you are giving. Keep it up. You're really coming across well.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So Eden Hazard, on the market for around £30-40m, would you have him in your team or nah?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
So Eden Hazard, on the market for around £30-40m, would you have him in your team or nah?
There's talk he's out for the season and even talk he may have to retire.
I don't know what they've done to him but he's broken now.

OverratedOpinion

Interesting stat.

He averaged more league goals per season than Drogba did for Chelsea (12 vs 11) and constantly got criticised for not scoring enough as a midfielder. God that Drogba was rubbish.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yes but the issue is that he is best from the left. Inverted wingers have killed right wingers (other than Robben and Salah).
I'd be inclined to give him a go, if only just to see if he's still got it.

As @TheMagicFoolBus said a few days ago, he probably doesn't mesh well with Tuchel's ideas but he would be an interesting option to have in our or your squad, if he can get back to 60-70% of the levels he showed at Chelsea.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I fecking hope not. That would be too tragic of an end to his career.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Though I am not a fan but I think it would be terrible for him to retire. Not working out with Madrid is not the end of the world. Go to a less pressured environment and learn to enjoy himself.
He is a player who likes to enjoy himself first, there are teams that can accommodate his style

Raredaredevil

Damn Germany were favourites? And they went out in the group. Wow
They were defending champion and ranked no 1 going into the World Cup in Russia I believe so the bookmakers have that right. I never expect them to defend the World Cup, always going to be a tough task but I don't think anyone ever expect them getting eliminated in the group and finishing bottom. I was in Kazan watching the game against Korea and it was just surreal.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Though I am not a fan but I think it would be terrible for him to retire. Not working out with Madrid is not the end of the world. Go to a less pressured environment and learn to enjoy himself.
He is a player who likes to enjoy himself first, there are teams that can accommodate his style
He can't play anywhere if he can't get fit.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
What's the point in watching matches if the sum of your analysis comes down to goal contributions.

Anyone that watched the Brazil vs Belgium game could see Hazard was by far the MOTM in that game. Him winning those fouls, is what kept Belgium ahead. Lukaku could barely keep hold of the ball in the second half and when Hazard moved to CF, he showed world class ability in hold up play and getting Belgium up the pitch.

Productivity is not limited to goals and assists.
Strange how it was KDB that won the MOTM in that match eh? Yet here you are ATTEMPTING to claim he was MOTM ' by far '..just another point to add why Hazard is overrated and people go to extreme lies to defend him.

You do realise a forward will always be judged on his productivity? That's his job in the team.

Winning fouls, dribbling past the same player more than once is not productivity and winning a few fouls is not something to be wax lyrical over, as I pointed out over Neymar point.

Iniesta is one of my favourite players ever, his productivity was not high but he played a different position where his stats were not a defining factor, he also had a far superior footballing brain and passing ability and would often as would Xavi or a Zidane find the key pass in the move that would get Pedro or Alves an assist. Hazard doesn't have that ability or was that type of player, so I have no idea why people try to go down this route of hyping him on dribbling and winning fouls.

Imagine it was Neymar who won fouls, made 10/10 successful dribbles and never scored or assisted a goal. I can't imagine you would be posting stuff like ' by far motm'...

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Strange how it was KDB that won the MOTM in that match eh? Yet here you are ATTEMPTING to claim he was MOTM ' by far '..just another point to add why Hazard is overrated and people go to extreme lies to defend him.

You do realise a forward will always be judged on his productivity? That's his job in the team.

Winning fouls, dribbling past the same player more than once is not productivity and winning a few fouls is not something to be wax lyrical over, as I pointed out over Neymar point.

Iniesta is one of my favourite players ever, his productivity was not high but he played a different position where his stats were not a defining factor, he also had a far superior footballing brain and passing ability and would often as would Xavi or a Zidane find the key pass in the move that would get Pedro or Alves an assist. Hazard doesn't have that ability or was that type of player, so I have no idea why people try to go down this wrongly route of hyping him on dribbling and winning fouls.

Imagine it was Neymar who won fouls, made 10/10 successful dribbles and never scored or assisted a goal. I can't imagine you would be posting stuff like ' by far motm'...

In fact, Hazard's total of 595 chances created is the most of any Premier League player since the start of the 2012-13 campaign (2019)

Stop trying to create a narrative that Hazard had no productivity

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Stop trying to create a narrative that Hazard had no productivity
I used the word 'lies' in my previous posts and here we are AGAIN with another Chelsea fan providing lies.

I never once said Hazard had no productivity. So if you can't actually have a valid discussion without resorting to making things up, please don't quote me in the future.

As for chances created it's one of the worst statistics about and the go to in an attempt to defend Hazard alongside him playing with pub players who missed sitter after sitter. Previous posts back this up with the downgrading of the strikers or other players Hazard played beside!

You do realise a 'chance created' can be a 1 yard pass where a player gets a shot away that was in no way a 'clear cut chance' right?

Will give a perfect scenario. Xavi non stop used to play defence splitting passes to Pedro or Alves, easily the most important pass in the move. One of them would play a simple straight pass that led to a tap in goal. Who receives they assist, key pass, chance created points? It's not Xavi!

Unsure how to add picture so hope this works. Here is the all time official PL 'big chances created'... Mata above Hazard...

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well that's not true because players with similar "poor" numbers like Bergkamp, Figo and Nedved were never downplayed based on their stats.

It's not just Hazard, the Firmino thread to name one other example is a similar mess. The modern obsession with stat padding will ruin the game, it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if in ten years time keepers are judged solely on assist stats (I am a fan of the ball playing keeper but you just know people are going to take it too far at some point).

One of the best games I ever saw from Messi was the 2-1 win for Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, three guesses how many goal and assists he got on the night? I also thought he was incredible in the 2015 CL final but if you base it on stats Morata and Pedro had better games.

The idea that players (especially high technical one's like the one's mentioned on this post) need a goal or an assist to have a great game is laughable (especially when the latter requires another player doing their job to go on record).

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Well that's not true because players with similar "poor" numbers like Bergkamp, Figo and Nedved were never downplayed based on their stats.
Nobody has said Hazard's numbers are 'poor' apart from his CL record which you totally agreed with.

Why are you bringing up names for numerous years ago? Football has completely evolved and changed. Bergkamp retired 15 years ago :lol:. Bergkamp also never upped his account with 50 penalty goals.

The importance of wide forwards has massively increased, it's why even with 'good' numbers Pedro was criticised at Chelsea.
The idea that players (especially high technical one's like the one's mentioned on this post) need a goal or an assist to have a great game is laughable (especially when the latter requires another player doing their job to go on record).
I never implied that was the case. What I correctly stated was that Hazard was not 'far and away' the best player against Brazil and KDB was named MOTM. I also never said Hazard had a bad game either, my whole point is the hyping of winning fouls or completed dribbles in non dangerous areas is madness. I honestly can't think of another player who gets praised so highly for this type of thing.

There's a 7 minute video of this world class, best performance of all time on youtube. It consists of Hazard making fouls, slack passes, holding the ball up regularly in his own half or losing possession in and around Brazils box. Sorry that I have standards and expect a so called world class footballer to do more than just win fouls in his own half and not constantly give the ball away in the final third. This is not an opinion either, it's factual as evident by this video..

To conclude, Hazard has had very good games without scoring or assisting, but he also contributed in dangerous areas. This Brazil performance is one of the most overrated of all-time, he gave away possession in dangerous areas at least 5 times in that match with poor simple passes! As was his whole WC campaign, nearly as much as Englands performance.

It's not just Hazard, the Firmino thread to name one other example is a similar mess. The modern obsession with stat padding will ruin the game, it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if in ten years time keepers are judged solely on assist stats (I am a fan of the ball playing keeper but you just know people are going to take it too far at some point).

One of the best games I ever saw from Messi was the 2-1 win for Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, three guesses how many goal and assists he got on the night? I also thought he was incredible in the 2015 CL final but if you base it on stats Morata and Pedro had better games.

I agree. Assists are ruining the game.

It’s honestly of no interest, and they’ve even given them prominence on scorecards, along with goal scorers, red cards etc.

We might as well not watch the game just analyse an Excel spreadsheet.

cyberman

You mention Jose, his best achievements at United was 2nd place, League Cup and Europa. Best case scenario you match two of them two and a half years into Ole's tenure.

Like I said you're Manchester United, if you want to dine on how big you are you can't also bang on about "gradual improvements", you think Real, Barca and Bayern fans would do the same? Xavi said that he had a conversation with Mata and was stunned at the kind of mediocrity you were accepting and said Barca fans would have wanted to 'kill them' if they 'achieved' similar.

Given your size you should (like Real, Barca, Bayern etc) be judged on winning titles and regularly getting to latter stages of CL, I will be astonished if you achieve either under Ole especially while Pep is about.

Also if you were so much better than us as you keep implying, then shouldn't it be a black mark against Ole for needing goal difference (and ultimately us to lose at Anfield) to finish above us?
So that loss at Anfield cost you the 11 odd point lead you had ahead of us at one stage?
Some game of football there.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So that loss at Anfield cost you the 11 odd point lead you had ahead of us at one stage?
Some game of football there.
Point is, if you comfortably had both the better team and better manager as you constantly imply, then why did it ultimately take goal difference to get above us? If your players were as far ahead of ours as you claim then the only explanation for us ending up neck and neck was that Ole really isn't that good (Which judging by a quick scan of your main forum is a more popular opinion in your fanbase than I thought)!

Last edited:

cyberman

Point is, if you comfortably had both the better team and better manager as you constantly imply, then why did it ultimately take goal difference to get above us? If your players were as far ahead of ours as you claim then the only explanation for us ending up neck and neck was that Ole really isn't that good (Which judging by a quick scan of your main forum is a more popular opinion in your fanbase than I thought)!
Because Ole was still building, hence the gradual improvement. Pogba got a long term injury early on and we struggled until Bruno came in and off we went. Undefeated away in 15 months etc etc. Overtook you lot and stayed there. Hence us finishing above you last season and being ahead of you this year.
League table doesnt lie, or so i was told when we were 5th.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
You're asking me to compare two entirely different players. Like Van der Sar and Drogba.

Firstly they are not that different. Silva early Man City days he played mostly left wing and as a number 10 similar to Hazard. Im more asking what makes in your view David Silva a premier league great but Hazard not a premier league great.
Because as i say i always find it odd D.Silva gets treated differently to Hazard.

Last edited:

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Very good in premier league....just a little bit missing at CL level compared to other Chelsea greats in that era like Lampard and Drogba who stood up in Semi finals.

Which was his best tournament for Belgium, World cup 2018? France nulified him pretty well in the SF.
He was the best player on the pitch VS France. It was De Bruyne and Lukaku who went missing in that game.

El-Manos

Absolutely no surprise he has flopped in Spain, something I predicted and the injuries are just being used as an excuse now.

Wanted to pick up on some points from previous pages;

World cup 2018 - Chelsea fan actually claimed he was the best player at WC 2018. :lol: Just one of numerous comments to backup how overrated this guy is. Before someone starts hyping him getting 2nd in the best player award, do one, Forlan won it over Sneijder and Villa and Messi winning in 2014 was a joke as well. These awards are often based on popularity and hold little merit. That WC was woeful but even at that if you believe someone who scored 2 goals against Tunisia(one being a penalty) and a third goal in a friendly third place play-off was deserving of best player, you're either biased or need help. On actual performances he didn't even deserve top 5. Hazard won the EL POTY as well when he started about 4 games in the competition, these awards are a joke.

Flat track bully - Whilst he was not completely a flat track bully his record against the top 6 is overstated. 9 were penalties, another was from a penalty rebound. He also played over 80 games against those sides. Giroud has 20 goals against the same sides, he a big game superstar as well then?

Champions league - 9 CL goals in 53 games. 5 are penalties. Of the 4 non penalty goals, one was at home to Maribor in the 90th minute in a 6-0 win. Another was an 87th minute goal in a 3 nil win against Schalke. The only time he did anything of note at the highest level in football was the 2 goals in the 3-3 game vs Roma. He's the only player I can think of who's disastrous CL performances and return is completely ignored.

PL great - Will Hazard be classed as a PL great, yes. Is he near the top in regards to comparing all the PL greats? Not a chance. Hazard will always be a talented player who never showed near enough at the top level whilst also going missing in seasons. Says it all that his best season was 18/19 and when you dig deep into his return you find that 25 of his 31 goals/assists were against the bottom 10 sides it gives merit that he was more of a flat track bully than people like to admit. Dig a little deeper than those 6 against top 10 sides include an overhit pass that landed to Kante vs City and a corner in the same game. One against Wolves was a deflected goal from a simple Hazard pass to RLC.

To conclude Hazard was a talented player, but he was not consistently world class in my eyes, his CL and European career is weak. His International career is hardly stellar either. Will always be overrated to me when people claim he was top 3 in the world, my own cousin once claimed he was BPITW ahead of Ronaldo and Messi, jesus christ! In 20 years time nobody will be looking back and claiming Hazard was better than the likes of Robben, Ribery or even Neymar or up there as one of the best, which shows he's not near as good as PL fans especially Chelsea ones believe.
I don’t know what World Cup you were watching but he was definitely one of the best players in 2018. He was fantastic against Brazil. Yes, he has flopped at Madrid but that doesn’t take away what a brilliant player he was in the premier league.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
League table doesnt lie.
I fully agree, and said table backed up my assesment that things were close/even while quite clearly showing your theory that you had a much better manager and better players in almost every position to be an absolute load of rubbish.

cyberman

I fully agree, and said table backed up my assesment that things were close/even while quite clearly showing your theory that you had a much better manager and better players in almost every position to be an absolute load of rubbish.
So why argue against gradual improvement? Its that first half of last season that you hang on to. From that January onwards we have been streets ahead in terms of results and performances. Its not a small sample size.
Anyway, this is going nowhere. Back to Eden!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So why argue against gradual improvement? Its thst first half of last season that you hang on to. From that January onwards we have been streets ahead in terms of results and performances. Its not a small sample size.
Anyway, this is going nowhere, back to Eden!
Well if you're going to argue "gradual improvement" can't I do the exact same thing for us now? Since Tuchel has come in we've cut the gap on you to almost half of what it was and are in the CL latter stages.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His CL record is ridiculously poor for a player of his talent and ability. I don't remember any great games from him against strong opponents in CL. Maybe the most memorable CL moment is Jose blaming him for not tracking the player who went on to score and Chelsea losing the tie vs Atletico.

I still think he can have that big moment at Madrid.

TheReligion

Abusive
His CL record is ridiculously poor for a player of his talent and ability. I don't remember any great games from him against strong opponents in CL. Maybe the most memorable CL moment is Jose blaming him for not tracking the player who went on to score and Chelsea losing the tie vs Atletico.

I still think he can have that big moment at Madrid.
Do you think it's a weak mentality issue in the CL and at the highest level? Along with the failure at Real Madrid?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Do you think it's a weak mentality issue in the CL and at the highest level? Along with the failure at Real Madrid?
I don't think it's weak mentality but it's weird as he was very good against strong teams in PL.

Maybe the whole team was very poor in CL which makes it harder for any single player to carry the team, also having managers like Jose and Conte who are defensive coaches didn't help.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
No, someone said he was the most fouled player and I contended he drew fouls and went down dead ends to win fouls when an easier pass was on. Someone then said he had dross around him hence why he didn't pass.

Only Chelsea fans rate him because they've never had a true superstar/league's best player in their team. Never had a Ronaldo, a Beckham, an Henry or a Kane, or an Aguero, or a KDB or a Salah (well, you had those last two but your greatest ever manager didn't see the value in them).
You must be trolling cause that is a nonsense opinion. Hazard for a significant portion of his time at Chelsea was considered best player in the league.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
I'll advise you to watch your tone.

Insulting other forum members is an offence. I'll let it slide this time but in future I won't be as forgiving.

As you are.
Hazard wasn’t a flat track bully in the EPL and your assertion that he was is one that I’m sure most people would disagree with.