Eden Hazard

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He'll be very important next season, without Ronaldo you'll need a player like him. Good in the air, direct, scores goals...
Gets injured for half the season...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He has the characteristics of a Gooner. Pretty footballer without the killer instinct.
That's only true if you judge "killer instinct" solely on goal stats.

Ainu

He has the characteristics of a Gooner. Pretty footballer without the killer instinct.
He does have killer instinct though, his performances have often been key to Chelsea's most recent Premier League victories. He just doesn't possess the relentless streak that the truly great players have. Not sure how you go from being the standout player in Premier League winning sides to being an Arsenal player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's only true if you judge "killer instinct" solely on goal stats.
It’s more the attitude towards scoring goals than the goal stats themselves. I explained further in an earlier post, but the difference between him and Kevin is stark. Kevin's first thought when he gets the ball is how he can directly hurt the opponents goal, whether by scoring, helping a teammate to score, or moving his team closer to scoring.

Hazard can and does do this too, but it doesn’t appear to be the priority for him. If it can be done beautifully and spectacularly enough, then perhaps.

This is why I always see Arsenal in him. They have long had similar trait. They will pass and pass until they can score a picturesque goal, they have great ability, but not the ruthlessness. At the end of the day, they have still been amongst the better teams in the league, just as Hazard is amongst the best players. But Arsenal often has more talent than they actually delivered. Kevin, for me, is the opposite. He doesn’t feck about like Hazard. I reckon Hazard loves being kicked. ‘Most fouled player’ seems a sense of achievement.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Alongside Zidane Iniesta Ozil Bergkamp i guess thats good company.
Zidane and Iniesta were obviously made of stronger stuff than the Gooner artists. Both have stepped up and scored World Cup winning goals ffs, and delivered in many other clutch moments for their clubs. Ozil is your archetypal Gooner as we know.

Righteous Steps

It’s more the attitude towards scoring goals than the goal stats themselves. I explained further in an earlier post, but the difference between him and Kevin is stark. Kevin's first thought when he gets the ball is how he can directly hurt the opponents goal, whether by scoring, helping a teammate to score, or moving his team closer to scoring.

Hazard can and does do this too, but it doesn’t appear to be the priority for him. If it can be done beautifully and spectacularly enough, then perhaps.

This is why I always see Arsenal in him. They have long had similar trait. They will pass and pass until they can score a picturesque goal, they have great ability, but not the ruthlessness. At the end of the day, they have still been amongst the better teams in the league, just as Hazard is amongst the best players. But Arsenal often has more talent than they actually delivered. Kevin, for me, is the opposite. He doesn’t feck about like Hazard. I reckon Hazard loves being kicked. ‘Most fouled player’ seems a sense of achievement.
Yet Kevin De Bruyne isn't any better than Hazard with more 'killer instinct' and neither is Neymar....

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Many great players aren't that arsed about scoring and would rather focus on what they are good at, Hazard is an average finisher so him developing a goal scoring obsession would actually be counter productive. Make no mistake the dribbles and key passes are designed to hurt the opposition, also he's the type that would only shoot if it's on, if he has a 99.9% chance of scoring but say Pedro has 100% he would square it everytime, which i would argue is a lot more ruthless than the Neymar/Bale way of numerous speculative shots to pad their tally out.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Zidane and Iniesta were obviously made of stronger stuff than the Gooner artists. Both have stepped up and scored World Cup winning goals ffs, and delivered in many other jolly good moments for their clubs. Ozil is your archetypal Gooner as we know.
Hazard stepped up in the tail end of 2 title races while the other attackers were drowning fast, especially in 2015.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Zidane and Iniesta were obviously made of stronger stuff than the Gooner artists. Both have stepped up and scored World Cup winning goals ffs, and delivered in many other jolly good moments for their clubs. Ozil is your archetypal Gooner as we know.
As was Bergkamp. They didn't call him the Iceman because he cowed in big matches after all. Bergkamp's mentality was as strong as Zidane or Iniesta IMO (although all three are very different types of personalities if you ask me)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yet Kevin De Bruyne isn't any better than Hazard with more 'killer instinct' and neither is Neymar....
Kevin is not as talented as Hazard, but he’s a better player (in my opinion), which is my point. He shouldn’t be better.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Many great players aren't that arsed about scoring and would rather focus on what they are good at, Hazard is an average finisher so him developing a goal scoring obsession would actually be counter productive. Make no mistake the dribbles and key passes are designed to hurt the opposition, also he's the type that would only shoot if it's on, if he has a 99.9% chance of scoring but say Pedro has 100% he would square it everytime, which i would argue is a lot more ruthless than the Neymar/Bale way of numerous speculative shots to pad their tally out.
It is all about mentality. The player I’ve compared him to is KdB, not Neymar. Hazard is a great player. Goals are not everything, Kevin doesn’t score 30 himself - but the point is, almost everything he does with the ball has purpose and is aimed at directly increasing the chances of his team winning the game. It’s like Hazard will score if it’s convenient, but it just isn’t the main point.

R7 was an ‘average finisher’ in his younger years too. Again, the difference is that he is a winner. The finishing got better because goals win games.

I’m being harsh on Hazard because of the talent he has. Goals aren’t everything, but if some forwards are going to score 20+ a season, he really should be amongst them. With the right mentality, he would be. It isn’t beyond him. It’s just not important. If Kevin was as gifted as Hazard he’d score more goals. Hazard with Kevin’s mentality = Messi (give or take).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It is all about mentality. The player I’ve compared him to is KdB, not Neymar. Hazard is a great player. Goals are not everything, Kevin doesn’t score 30 himself - but the point is, almost everything he does with the ball has purpose and is aimed at directly increasing the chances of his team winning the game. It’s like Hazard will score if it’s convenient, but it just isn’t the main point.

R7 was an ‘average finisher’ in his younger years too. Again, the difference is that he is a winner. The finishing got better because goals win games.

I’m being harsh on Hazard because of the talent he has. Goals aren’t everything, but if some forwards are going to score 20+ a season, he really should be amongst them. With the right mentality, he would be. It isn’t beyond him. It’s just not important. If Kevin was as gifted as Hazard he’d score more goals. Hazard with Kevin’s mentality = Messi (give or take).
Im sorry but i can't see how his mentality can be questioned when he stood up and delivered in two title races, and a top four slog in his first season for that matter, players like Costa, Pedro, Oscar, Fabregas, Mata were falling while Eden was the one delivering. Im not sure what you mean by don't have a purpose? He prefers being flashy over having end product? If that was the case he wouldn't be playing top level regardless of his talent. De Bruyne is a much better finisher than Hazard especially from long range so ofcoursd he will utilize that more.

Yes goals do win games, but shooting from unrealistic angles often ruins potentially good attacks and as a consequence those goals.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Im sorry but i can't see how his mentality can be questioned when he stood up and delivered in two title races, and a top four slog in his first season for that matter, players like Costa, Pedro, Oscar, Fabregas, Mata were falling while Eden was the one delivering. Im not sure what you mean by don't have a purpose? He prefers being flashy over having end product? If that was the case he wouldn't be playing top level regardless of his talent. De Bruyne is a much better finisher than Hazard especially from long range so ofcoursd he will utilize that more.

Yes goals do win games, but shooting from unrealistic angles often ruins potentially good attacks and as a consequence those goals.
You just don’t demand/expect as much from him as I do, and I suspect that is due to you having an attachment to him. Like how parents defend their kids not doing their best.

Nobody, except yourself, has mentioned shooting from unrealistic angles. The forward players who score more goals than him do not do so simply because they are unrealistic in their approach.

I think he should be closer to what Messi does, than scoring plenty long shots. And with Kevin, it’s not just his goals and shooting. It’s the passes he makes too, he constantly threatens the goal with them. By Hazard having less purpose, I see him often spinning, wriggling away a few times before passing it three yards when he gets it. This of course draws praise, it’s another example of how hard he is to dispossess without being fouled.

Messi, for example, is a great dribbler too. I don’t see why Hazard could not score more goals like he does. He has the ability to drop a shoulder from 18 yards and put it in the bottom corner far more often than he does. For me, Messi having an amazing amount of technical ability seems more like just a means to the end, which is of him being productive. He’s not concerned with ‘showcasing his talent’ in that way. Hazard should score 25 goals a season not because that’s what you need to do to qualify as a top player, but simply because he is definitely good enough to do so.

Kevin and Pogba are similar players, for example. Nothing Kevin can do that Pogba can’t . Pogba also just doesn’t have the same mentality, that’s the only difference. Pogba is a great player, but the reason people always say he could be even greater is down to how he approaches the game quite often. I believe similar of Hazard and Kevin.

Righteous Steps

You just don’t demand/expect as much from him as I do, and I suspect that is due to you having an attachment to him. Like how parents defend their kids not doing their best.

Nobody, except yourself, has mentioned shooting from unrealistic angles. The forward players who score more goals than him do not do so simply because they are unrealistic in their approach.

I think he should be closer to what Messi does, than scoring plenty long shots. And with Kevin, it’s not just his goals and shooting. It’s the passes he makes too, he constantly threatens the goal with them. By Hazard having less purpose, I see him often spinning, wriggling away a few times before passing it three yards when he gets it. This of course draws praise, it’s another example of how hard he is to dispossess without being fouled.

Messi, for example, is a great dribbler too. I don’t see why Hazard could not score more goals like he does. He has the ability to drop a shoulder from 18 yards and put it in the bottom corner far more often than he does. For me, Messi having an amazing amount of technical ability seems more like just a means to the end, which is of him being productive. He’s not concerned with ‘showcasing his talent’ in that way. Hazard should score 25 goals a season not because that’s what you need to do to qualify as a top player, but simply because he is definitely good enough to do so.

Kevin and Pogba are similar players, for example. Nothing Kevin can do that Pogba can’t . Pogba also just doesn’t have the same mentality, that’s the only difference. Pogba is a great player, but the reason people always say he could be even greater is down to how he approaches the game quite often. I believe similar of Hazard and Kevin.
So basically Hazard should be Messi.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Am I the only one weirded out by @Rozay constantly referring to KDB as "Kevin"?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Tonight he was actually fantastic, much better than against Brazil. Unfortunately for Belgium Lukaku and De Bruyne didn't show up

Minimalist

Silky, top player. Needed to be better (more direct) in the final third today though.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Was outstanding tonight but unfortunately his co stars were a little bit unfortunate today

Minimalist

He was very direct tonight, problem was he had nobody to play with
Lukaku linked up with him in the 2nd half plenty of times (flicks on and stuff) but France had their number. Needed more quality from Hazard/KDB to get back in the game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Lukaku linked up with him in the 2nd half plenty of times (flicks on and stuff) but France had their number. Needed more quality from Hazard/KDB to get back in the game.
Never well enough. All the flicks were a little short or long, allowing the french wall to get back on him. Made a mistake early on with the chance where he shoot instead of squaring it off to Lukaku or crossing for Fellaini, but on the whole, he was always looking to break the french defence. Always looking towards the goal. Always pulling defenders his way and then releasing the ball at the right time with the right weight. That's how he should play all the time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Tonight he was actually fantastic, much better than against Brazil. Unfortunately for Belgium Lukaku and De Bruyne didn't show up
No he wasn't he was selfish as usual, always ignoring others at crucial moments trying to do everything himself

marktan

He is like a faster, slightly more productive Isco. Madrid can sign him if they want but they won't be getting anything hugely different to their team.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
No he wasn't he was selfish as usual, always ignoring others at crucial moments trying to do everything himself
It's not really selfishness, it's just poor decision making close to goal. He messes up his finishing or the final pass a bit too often. It's the same as Isco but to a lesser degree.

Wonderful player though, don't think he's been apreciated enough and I think he'll thrive in a more attacking system either at Madrid or with Sarri at Chelsea.