Eden Hazard

Treble

The end product is not what it should be and this is stopping him from competing with the very best. Mbappe looks more mature in his decision making and creates more with far less touches on the ball.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You guys are expecting him to be Maradona :lol:

He was Belgium's only dangerous player, to the point France sold out to force him away from the goal. He made one mistake early on, but the rest of the game he had to drop into midfield to start attacking plays, get back to the ball to move it up, try to pull the defence apart, then get back to play final ball, and maybe score himself as well? If Messi played like this we'd be slaughtering his teammates while also saying he should have done more. Sure. But he's Messi. Hazard played as well as anyone other than Messi could have done given how much he had to do tonight

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's not really selfishness, it's just poor decision making close to goal. He messes up his finishing or the final pass a bit too often. It's the same as Isco but to a lesser degree.

Wonderful player though, don't think he's been apreciated enough and I think he'll thrive in a more attacking system either at Madrid or with Sarri at Chelsea.
Call it what you will he plays for himself, Mbappe comfortably outshone him tonight both as an individual talent and as a team player

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He was Belgium's only dangerous player, to the point France sold out to force him away from the goal. He made one mistake early on, but the rest of the game he had to drop into midfield to start attacking plays, get back to the ball to move it up, try to pull the defence apart, then get back to play final ball, and maybe score himself as well? If Messi played like this we'd be slaughtering his teammates while also saying he should have done more. Sure. But he's Messi. Hazard played as well as anyone other than Messi could have done given how much he had to do tonight
Agree, can't believe people criticising him after that performance.

izec

Belgium's best player, so reliable on him to produce the goods if KDB doesnt show up, like today.

Teja

Immense today. Some part of me hopes Chelsea keep hold of him, it's been great seeing all these premier league players do well at the WC.

La Liga is always over represented because of the quality of the Spanish national team to the point that people just write off the PL as a sub-standard league. Hope this WC proves otherwise.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
For me, my issue with him has always been mentality. He is wired totally differently to Kevin, for instance, whose main priority is the quickest route to the goal. I always get the impression with Hazard that his sense of achievement almost comes in how many fouls he can draw, simply because the ‘opposition could not stop him’. He gets the ball and seems to first and foremost want the opportunity to show how hard he is to dispossess, whereas I struggle to see a player in the game today who takes a more direct approach than Kevin to actually hurting the opposition.
Good point, specifically the part about KDB. Scary to think what would of happened if we kept De Bruyne

predator

Youth NITK
He's arguably the best player in football currently that can take on any player and beat them, regardless of who they are and what stage in the game it is. United have been missing such a player for ages and I thought signing Sanchez would give us the above. He's basically both footed aswell and has unreal stamina.
If he goes to Mardrid I think he will instantly become their best player.

He's arguably the best player in football currently that can take on any player and beat them, regardless of who they are and what stage in the game it is. United have been missing such a player for ages and I thought signing Sanchez would give us the above. He's basically both footed aswell and has unreal stamina.
If he goes to Mardrid I think he will instantly become their best player.
He's got a bit of Neymar about him. Aside from the diving, he could be so much better if he stopped trying to do it all himself. As it is he's a bit of a show pony and quite easily marked out of a game by a disciplined defence.

Sanchez7

Great player, it is almost impossible to get the ball off him. Hope Madrid sign him as Chelsea will struggle to find equivalent replacement.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
It’s really crazy to me that people used to hammer him, especially on the caf, for not being selfish enough because “every top player wants it himself”, now he’s too selfish.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Great player, it is almost impossible to get the ball off him. Hope Madrid sign him as Chelsea will struggle to find equivalent replacement.
This is his main trick, and it’s obscured a lot of people’s vision.

He’s a great player but he’s so insanely gifted that he should be far better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s really crazy to me that people used to hammer him, especially on the caf, for not being selfish enough because “every top player wants it himself”, now he’s too selfish.
Yea but he’s not even selfishly trying to score goals for his team. He’s too busy trying to show how hard he is to take the ball off.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Give over. He's not even been the best Belgian player
He was easily the best belgian player this world cup. Nobody really comes close. De Bruyne had 1 good game, Lukaku had 2 good group games against the worst teams in the world cup and a good half against Brazil (a game where Hazard outshone him anyway), the rest have been meh but Hazard has been on it in pretty much every game. Certainly every knockout game.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
For me, my issue with him has always been mentality. He is wired totally differently to Kevin, for instance, whose main priority is the quickest route to the goal. I always get the impression with Hazard that his sense of achievement almost comes in how many fouls he can draw, simply because the ‘opposition could not stop him’. He gets the ball and seems to first and foremost want the opportunity to show how hard he is to dispossess, whereas I struggle to see a player in the game today who takes a more direct approach than Kevin to actually hurting the opposition.
The direct way is not always the best. I'd even say it is almost always not the best way. De Bruyne gives away way too many balls too easily since he wants to create something too quickly. Hazard was more effective in his plays today and more successful in initiating attacks for his teams. Especially in the role he plays for Belgium, De Bruyne should be less risky in his decision making. At City he has David Silva, Gündogan and partly Fernandinho running the game for him and on top of that a counter pressing machine far superior to that of Belgium. He can't play as risky as for his club. In Belgium there is only Witsel who is a good passer but nowhere near these players. We don't even need to talk about Fellaini or Dembele. It would be up to De Bruyne to run the midfield and be the playmaker of his team but he was pretty bad against France. He misplaced so many passes today and wasn't patient at all. Hazard on the other hand constantly dribbled past his markers, created superiority and momentum and thus space for his team mates. People are far too focused on the final balls, sometimes the plays before that are even more important.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Yea but he’s not even selfishly trying to score goals for his team. He’s too busy trying to show how hard he is to take the ball off.
That’s how he creates for his team though. He tries to drag and pull people with him. He’s literally never been the arrogant type and it’s always been the criticism held against him for not reaching his potential. Now he’s trying to put the team on his shoulders. Maybe I’m too close to the situation.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This is his main trick, and it’s obscured a lot of people’s vision.

He’s a great player but he’s so insanely gifted that he should be far better.
He is about as good as I thought he would be but, then again since he was at Lille I have compared him to Ribery I never thought he could reach the Messi/Cristiano levels.

GeorgieBoy

Classy player, the way he just seems to drift past people is unreal.
Overall, he's had a very good World Cup and thought he was good tonight. I think he can do better than being in this Chelsea team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The direct way is not always the best. I'd even say it is almost always not the best way. De Bruyne gives away way too many balls too easily since he wants to create something too quickly. Hazard was more effective in his plays today and more successful in initiating attacks for his teams. Especially in the role he plays for Belgium, De Bruyne should be less risky in his decision making. At City he has David Silva, Gündogan and party Fernandinho running the game for him. In Belgium there is only Witsel who is, however, nowhere near these players. We don't even need to talk about Fellaini or Dembele. It would be up to De Bruyne to run the midfield and be the playmaker of his team but he was pretty bad against France. He misplaced so many passes today and wasn't patient at all. Hazard on the other hand constantly dribbled past his markers, created superiority and momentum and thus space for his team mates. People are far too focused on the final balls, sometimes the plays before that are even more important.
Hazard isn’t a centre midfielder though. His job isn’t to control a game. With the gifts he has, his job should be to win them.

And I think you’re placing too much stock in the fact that Kevin had a poor game tonight. Believe me, I’m not a stats fanatic, quite the opposite. But there are some realities that can’t be avoided. Ronaldo became a better player when he realised he could use his gifts for more than just making opposition defenders look stupid. He began deciding games weekly, then went full circle to the point where he didn’t give a shit if he was makin defenders look silly at all - he just wanted to win games.

I think Hazard could honestly be the Messi of the PL. He’s that good. He needed to join United and play for Sir Alex.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
When you see him play football, you really wonder why he hasn't challenged Messi and Ronaldo for the past 3-5 years. He is godly gifted with the ball and his body

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He's rarely created anything for his teammates.
Great dribbler and all but I wonder if anyone has ever yelled at him "pass the ball you dumb cnut"
How many times has he been able to hold up the ball or keep it during tight situations with 3 players surrounding him though? I'll bet these same players who would yell at him in your scenario would have lost the ball already and huffing and puffing after another french counter or time waste maneuvre.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Great player, one of the best even - but his numbers year on year are never particularly outstanding are they. His dribbling and finesse on the ball is really something to behold but goals and assists are ultimately a forward's bread and butter - these determine the true effectiveness of a forward and he's never in that elite bracket.

fallengt

How many times has he been able to hold up the ball or keep it during tight situations with 3 players surrounding him though? I'll bet these same players who would yell at him in your scenario would have lost the ball already and huffing and puffing after another french counter or time waste maneuvre.
It's not the point. If you watch Hazard you'd think he'd be on par with peak Messi. Great dribbler, amazing movement, very hard to take ball away from his feet etc... but with all the technical skills he has, Hazard rarely makes big impact/ affect the games like 2010 Messi did.

Last season he's only scored 17 goals for Chelsea, Ronaldo at the age 23 scored 31 goals for United. I'm not saying he is a bad player but sometimes you have to wonder if drawing foul is more important than anything for him, that's why he hasn't reached the level everyone expected him to. A player of his caliber should do more

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's not the point. If you watch Hazard you'd think he'd be on par with peak Messi. Great dribbler, amazing movement, very hard to take ball away from his feet etc... but with all the technical skills he has, Hazard rarely makes big impact/ affect the game like 2010 Messi did.

Last season he's only scored 17 goals for Chelsea, Ronaldo at the age 23 scored 31 goals for United. I'm not saying he is a bad player but sometimes you have to wonder if drawing foul is more important than anything for him, that's why he hasn't reached the level everyone expected him to. A player of his caliber should do more
It is completely ridiculous to expect him to be Messi or Cristiano. No one in this era has consistently played to the level Messi and Cristiano have.

fallengt

Nothing wrong with it, Hazard has the technical skills to be the best, he just doesn't have the mindset of the best.

Someone in this thread compared Hazard to De Bruyne was absolutely spot on. When ball on feet, De Bruyne always find the paths to the goal; Hazard's priority is how to make himself look good.

Trizy

Unplayable when in top form. Great tournament for him.

He just doesn't look arsed half the time at Chelsea. I'm not even sure it's a consistency thing anymore. I think he's just not too motivated.